Season 5 Scarab 38KV located and for sale (repo'ed)

Sonny-Crockett

I may have bitten off more than I can chew' date=' but after this coming week it will be stored INSIDE. :rain:[/quote']If you need any advice on resto of the hull etc , fell free to give me a shout. I do restoration and custom graphics and rigging of offshore speedboats.

I'll be following this thread pretty closely. I have also done restoration work on fiberglass boats. Nothing to the extent of pretty much restoring a 38 footer, (most of my projects have been small boats of 22 foot or less). If the current owner needs any advice, I'd be happy to try and answer any questions he has. I'm also a member of the Facebook page as well. I seen the camera platform boat on Lake Erie a few times, and always was fascinated with these boats.Ripper

I think I saw the pictures of this boat on facebook and commented said it was a shame someone would treat a very expensive boat like that.Its piece of Vice History there's a new one for everybody.The engines looked in rough shape it kind of made me sick.I hope somebody with money can bring her back to her glory and prestige and love her the way she should be treated

Salt water is detrimental to boats. Especially if you sink them or don't take care of them. This thing was supposedly sunk, and it looks like it'd been through a war. That salt will attack any bare metal and will eat through protective coatings as well if they aren't flushed off. I've worked on people's jet skis that have been taken to the ocean on vacation, and they'll drag them home, not flush them, then wonder why in a couple months why the machine has problems. The boat's pedigree not withstanding, why the heck would you not take care of a boat that is still worth 5 digits? It blows my mind how some people take care of their toys.Ripper

Thanks for the offers guys. I'll try to keep everyone posted. Engines are soaking in oil right now. Long shot but figured I might as well try. :D

Hey beef, that wouldn't hurt at all. I've taken engines before that sat outside for years and still was able to salvage the blocks and possibly the cranks as well. On the crank, it all depends on if the water washed the oil out of the bearings or not. I wouldn't be to optimistic since it was sunk, but I'll bet the blocks could be salvaged.

Yeah actually I remember reading about a guy who resuscitated a thought seized motor on a 1970 superbird by just letting some penetrating oil sit ontop of the cylinders overnight with the head off.and all he had to do was handcrank it to get it unstuck and going again.

PB Blaster was used on the engine I built. The cylinders were rusted, and I sprayed the hell out of them all, heated the block and beat on the pistons, and eventually got them all out. The machine shop only would have had to taken .015 off the cylinder walls, but I had already bought .030 over pistons for it. The engine sat outside on the ground for three years with no heads and no oil pan. The guy gave it to me just to get it off the ground because he was tired of tripping over it, and I think he really thought it was junk. The engine was a four bolt 350 "010" block that only had around 70K on it. I thought, "well, for free, I might be able to use it." I was right. The pistons were junk, and the cylinders ended up needing bored oversize, but the crank was still good!! I about lost it when I took the main bearing caps off and seen an oil film still on the bearings and crank! This thing sat, crank down, in the mud and a puddle when it would rain, for three years! The crank needed a good cleaning, but I ended up reusing it. Granted, this would have been different if the engine sat in salt water. This situation all depends on if there was any oil in the engines when the boat sank, if they flushed it, or if they did anything to it after they raised it. I hope for the sake of things that it was readily treated like a flooded engine should be, or else those mills will be worth their weight in scrap. Ripper

PB Blaster was used on the engine I built. The cylinders were rusted' date=' and I sprayed the hell out of them all, heated the block and beat on the pistons, and eventually got them all out. The machine shop only would have had to taken .015 off the cylinder walls, but I had already bought .030 over pistons for it. The engine sat outside on the ground for three years with no heads and no oil pan. The guy gave it to me just to get it off the ground because he was tired of tripping over it, and I think he really thought it was junk. The engine was a four bolt 350 "010" block that only had around 70K on it. I thought, "well, for free, I might be able to use it." I was right. The pistons were junk, and the cylinders ended up needing bored oversize, but the crank was still good!! I about lost it when I took the main bearing caps off and seen an oil film still on the bearings and crank! This thing sat, crank down, in the mud and a puddle when it would rain, for three years! The crank needed a good cleaning, but I ended up reusing it. Granted, this would have been different if the engine sat in salt water. This situation all depends on if there was any oil in the engines when the boat sank, if they flushed it, or if they did anything to it after they raised it. I hope for the sake of things that it was readily treated like a flooded engine should be, or else those mills will be worth their weight in scrap. Ripper[/quote']yeah I remember my dad saying that when he was working on a carriers radar that they had a helicopter fall in the ocean somehow. and as soon as they pulled it out they just blasted the thing with hoses to get all the salt water out before it ruined everything inside the aircraft. engine included too, so even the navy does that with aircraft recovery. I just hope these guys did it with our scarab.speaking of the scarab by the way, I came across this when I randomly typed miami vice in on youtube and found a video of that restored S2 boat being moved around

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTNDmJB8mc0