Season 5 Scarab 38KV located and for sale (repo'ed)

Sonny-Crockett

I currently own a 38KV Miami Vice Scarab and also manage a Facebook page dedicated to the famous boat(s).We have been notified that the Season 5 Scarab 38KV is for sale. It is in very rough shape and was not taken care of the last few years, the Marina where it is currently located has taken ownership of the boat and is listing it for sale. (North Miami Beach Marina---Miami Fl)This would not be a small project. The engines are shot, the boat was rumored to have been sunk at one point so everything will need to be replaced. Here is what was posted on another thread:Just got word and is confirmed that another 38KV boat used in the show has been located. It is in really rough shape as in.... it needs a complete resto! Was in Germany for a bit with Auto Salon and then relocated back to Miami where it has been sitting on a storage rack in the North Miami Beach Marina for the last 4 years! Uncovered and not taken care of, the motors appear to be shot, bottom paint (yuck). Apparently the Marina now has ownership and the boat will be put up for sale and asking price is $19,900.00 as is were is. You can find more info with pictures on Facebook at:Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab "Miami Vice" EditionsWelcome to the Scarab KV Miami Vice Edition page. This page is dedicated to the preservation and history of the Vice Edition Scarabs. We have compiled many years of collecting photos, gathering information from current and past owners and speaking with Wellcraft employees who were involved with the Scarab 38KV's.

Wow ... sounds like quite a project?I do work on boats and know the extent of what could possibly entail such a project. I think 19 grand is far too much considering the engines are shot and if the boat was sunk, then the comlete interior has to be redone...not cheap!A pair of big blocks will run 40-80 grand (depending how fast you want to go?) and another 20 for the interior work. A paint job will run 30-40 grand to restore it to original colours.If the boat was indeed sunk then I would be worrying about the stringers! That would mean the boat would need to be slit in half and the two sections, top and bottom, redone and of course the gas tank would need replacement as salt would have corroded the aluminum.Any person buying this headache would be into a hundred grand easy? You can find a turnkey for less, but I guess the Marina is just trying to re-coup some storage fees or something?Its a shame people don't take more care of classic things like this? My boat is 28 years old and still all original (except for my engines.) A little TLC and preventative maintenance goes a long way to hold a classics value.

it might be possible to get the engines from a different source however and thus maybe save some money. I was looking up the history of the 427 V8 used in the vette's until the early 70's and it said that it lead a second life after that as a motor used in school busesBlue Bus namely but also boats I believe, probably speedboats and it could be possibile to maybe use it in the welcrafthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Big-Block_engine#454right at the bottom on commercial applications.and where did it sink and why if it did?

38KV ScarabYou can see this boat in Season 5 (the last episode) as it is tied up at the dock as Crockett takes one last look...... :{I am currently talking to several high end resto shops that can take on a project of this size, my hope that this boat ends up in the right hands and is restored to its former glory. Way too historic of a boat to just go to waste.The boat is in very rough shapeThe engines are toastThe Outdrives are toast (TRS)All Electrical wiring will need replacedStringers and Transom probably have rotPaint is very scratched and Bottom was painted! All seats and interior will need to be replaced.Imron paint is very faded--will need a repaint....$$$$Boat looked like it banged up on the rocks or dock for years...a lot of dents and scratchesThis is not an easy job to do a restoration on the 38KV Scarab. The only good thing is the Hull is documented and it has the Miami Vice History. I do not know why the Auto Salon folks let it go to crap?The only history I know of is the Marina obtained it from Tow Boat US who towed it there and was rumored to have been sunk, or was sinking. It looked like it was stored in the water (with the bottom paint....eeek!) and was not well taken care of in the last few years, what a shame! I remember on this board someone had taken pictures of it high up in storage rack. Sun and rain and other elements have not been kind. I believe after the last 4-5 years the Marina has obtained Title to the boat and wants to sell it, they have contacted me and let me know via the Facebook site.

• 3 weeks later...
You can see this boat in Season 5 (the last episode) as it is tied up at the dock as Crockett takes one last look...... :{I am currently talking to several high end resto shops that can take on a project of this size' date=' my hope that this boat ends up in the right hands and is restored to its former glory. Way too historic of a boat to just go to waste.The boat is in very rough shapeThe engines are toastThe Outdrives are toast (TRS)All Electrical wiring will need replacedStringers and Transom probably have rotPaint is very scratched and Bottom was painted! All seats and interior will need to be replaced.Imron paint is very faded--will need a repaint....$$$$Boat looked like it banged up on the rocks or dock for years...a lot of dents and scratchesThis is not an easy job to do a restoration on the 38KV Scarab. The only good thing is the Hull is documented and it has the Miami Vice History. I do not know why the Auto Salon folks let it go to crap?The only history I know of is the Marina obtained it from Tow Boat US who towed it there and was rumored to have been sunk, or was sinking. It looked like it was stored in the water (with the bottom paint....eeek!) and was not well taken care of in the last few years, what a shame! I remember on this board someone had taken pictures of it high up in storage rack. Sun and rain and other elements have not been kind. I believe after the last 4-5 years the Marina has obtained Title to the boat and wants to sell it, they have contacted me and let me know via the Facebook site.[/quote'] What a shame. I loved how that specific boat looked. I can't believe that jerk at auto salon had it shipped all the way across the country, only for it to return in bad shape. It's like, did the boat deserve that? A boat with such pedigree just gone... I mean, clearly he didn't love it or want it enough in the first place because it is in such junky condition. If he did really want it then he wouldn't let it be in such horrible condition.I know I'm kinda going off the deep-end here, but has anyone besides me noticed that when it comes to go-fast boats, Europeans have no respect for them, or just don't really get them? I mean honestly, how many Cigarettes or Donzi's are there in Germany compared to say Florida? And most go-fast brands are strictly american. American companies, American engines etc.

I know what you mean but there may be other factors???European markets may not have the extensive network of Marina supplies to have readilly available parts? I know I can go to almost any marina and pick up stuff for my boat, and if they don't have it, it can be shipped in two days. In Europe this may take months?I don't know if this is true, but I heard that many countries excessively tax these go-fasts for a luxury or fuel tax. Unless you have deep pockets, a hobby boat is very expensive to keep.I feel lucky living near the biggest inland water system on planet earth. I can access three of the great lakes on any given day if I choose to trailer the boat to the other lakes. Its a short drive...In Europe the waterways are much different and go-fasts are not welcome on many lakes and rivers, so options are limitied. This is happening in the U.S all over the south right now as I have been reading on Offshoreonly.com about the legislation outlawing go fasts on many of the inland waters of United States. There is an uproar among the boating culture but you can't fight legislation?Any of these factors would make me loose interest in my boat in a hurry......................

I know what you mean but there may be other factors???European markets may not have the extensive network of Marina supplies to have readilly available parts? I know I can go to almost any marina and pick up stuff for my boat' date=' and if they don't have it, it can be shipped in two days. In Europe this may take months?I don't know if this is true, but I heard that many countries excessively tax these go-fasts for a luxury or fuel tax. Unless you have deep pockets, a hobby boat is very expensive to keep.I feel lucky living near the biggest inland water system on planet earth. I can access three of the great lakes on any given day if I choose to trailer the boat to the other lakes. Its a short drive...In Europe the waterways are much different and go-fasts are not welcome on many lakes and rivers, so options are limitied. This is happening in the U.S all over the south right now as I have been reading on Offshoreonly.com about the legislation outlawing go fasts on many of the inland waters of United States. There is an uproar among the boating culture but you can't fight legislation?Any of these factors would make me loose interest in my boat in a hurry......................[/quote']Some good points made here :D

I know what you mean but there may be other factors???European markets may not have the extensive network of Marina supplies to have readilly available parts? I know I can go to almost any marina and pick up stuff for my boat' date=' and if they don't have it, it can be shipped in two days. In Europe this may take months?I don't know if this is true, but I heard that many countries excessively tax these go-fasts for a luxury or fuel tax. Unless you have deep pockets, a hobby boat is very expensive to keep.I feel lucky living near the biggest inland water system on planet earth. I can access three of the great lakes on any given day if I choose to trailer the boat to the other lakes. Its a short drive...In Europe the waterways are much different and go-fasts are not welcome on many lakes and rivers, so options are limitied. This is happening in the U.S all over the south right now as I have been reading on Offshoreonly.com about the legislation outlawing go fasts on many of the inland waters of United States. There is an uproar among the boating culture but you can't fight legislation?Any of these factors would make me loose interest in my boat in a hurry......................[/quote']Yes those are all good points. But if that was the case, shame on him for thinking he could afford the boat in the first place. I guess it's a good example of how you really need to think out your purchases :)And if you have a good supplier, shipping oversees can sometimes be very quick. I mean dig this: I order many parts from Germany for Rc boats, and they come here usually within 2 weeks. I also order parts for Mustangs from overseas and they also get here with a couple of weeks. I know that shipping a TRS drive is different then shipping a scale TRS drive, but you catch my drift.I just realized, are you wckoester on youtube (@stinger390x)?

are those inland waters maintained by federal tax dollars? that might explain where this is coming from. as I just came across this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_of_the_pursewhere it makes it sound like part of the reason why the drinking age is way too high in this country vs the rest of the world is because the goverment used the power of the purse to blackmail the states into keeping it that high.so that might be spilling over into this as well, plus I know they used that for the national speedlimts as well as I dont think texas is privy to federal road funding because the speedlimt there is something like 80 - 85 because of how big texas iseven though regardless of that everyone here in ma seems to drive 75, not 65 on the highway and as long as your not breaking 80 no one ever really gets pulled over and you have to drive that fast or you'll get run over by the traffic.

I just realized' date=' are you wckoester on youtube (@stinger390x)?[/quote']No sorry, that's not me, but I am interested in chatting with the guy and swapping some stories!

No sorry' date=' that's not me, but I am interested in chatting with the guy and swapping some stories![/quote'] Oh. Yea now I see your stinger has a different transom step to it.

I have noticed a few things that are different. he has no swim platform and i do. Also the interior is quite different than mine and I beleive this is an 83' or an 84' Stinger???I wish I knew how to get a hold of this guy...I would love to chat with him.

I have noticed a few things that are different. he has no swim platform and i do. Also the interior is quite different than mine and I beleive this is an 83' or an 84' Stinger???I wish I knew how to get a hold of this guy...I would love to chat with him.

He replies on youtube channel comments usually, but he takes his sweet time replying haha.Yea his boat seems nice. But dude, yours is awesome too. I was looking at some pictures of it on Chriscraftstingers.com and all I can say is damn. If I could have any boat in the world it would be the Stinger or a 38kv. But I still like the stinger more. The angle that the windshield tapers at is just..... Sexy lolAnd how the deck curves downward towards the front of the boat...... It's perfect. And the completely flat windshield is awesome too

Wow ... sounds like quite a project?I do work on boats and know the extent of what could possibly entail such a project. I think 19 grand is far too much considering the engines are shot and if the boat was sunk' date=' then the comlete interior has to be redone...not cheap!A pair of big blocks will run 40-80 grand (depending how fast you want to go?) and another 20 for the interior work. A paint job will run 30-40 grand to restore it to original colours.If the boat was indeed sunk then I would be worrying about the stringers! That would mean the boat would need to be slit in half and the two sections, top and bottom, redone and of course the gas tank would need replacement as salt would have corroded the aluminum.Any person buying this headache would be into a hundred grand easy? You can find a turnkey for less, but I guess the Marina is just trying to re-coup some storage fees or something?Its a shame people don't take more care of classic things like this? My boat is 28 years old and still all original (except for my engines.) A little TLC and preventative maintenance goes a long way to hold a classics value.[/quote']Right on on the outlook to restore THAT boat. What a shame for such a great example and prestigious boat to look like this. My first question and I'm not in the market so I don't follow it at all... What does a decent Scarab KV go for? How many were built in that era(hull designs) in the same length. I grew up on Lake Michigan and I saw ALOT of go-fasts and alway wanted one. This one a UNDER $10K seems like a STEAL yet to consider what it would cost to put it back to the condition it deserves I believe will overcome what a upkept maintained and LOVED boat would bring on the market. It may be worth it to the right person to put it back just for the sake of what the boat is and represents. The hard part is that technology has changed so much it would be hard not to go gonzo on what there is out there compared to the late 80's to early 90's. It is really cool to see those pics... Makes me tingle in a weird kinda way.... I'd love it just for yard art to keep a few old cars company I have... If I could match all the right digits on the lottery... Well, you see where I'm going.... Mike

Facebook page said someone was close to sealing a deal on it... Man, I can't imagine the amount of space it would take to restore a boat this size to the level of detail it demands... I mean, a car takes at least 2 stalls to do a frame off restoration and your talking 38ft plus the hgt to get it inside and the trailer tongue... I couldn't afford the storage fee per month let alone the $$ for refurbishing that little sweetie...Mike...

well as long as he could find a place to store it away from the weather and work on it piece by piece it could be possibile.hell could build a shed for it on your land or something as most of these buildings are just a wood frame with plywood covering it and a roof along with a concreate floor.would take work but it wouldnt be impossible just to make a proper storage area for it provided you had the land and time for it.

Boat sold for asking price! I know of three parties that were pretty hot after the boat, in the end she went for the full asking price of $9995.00 USD. The boat is in very sad and rough shape and this will need a complete overhaul to do it right.What we were told is the guy is from Mississippi and owns an RV dealership, so he should have the room/space to do the work. We will update the FACEBOOK page (Wellcraft 38KV Miami Vice Editions) as we get info.

• 2 weeks later...