Galoob Power Machines Miami Vice Speed City Chase Slot Car Set on Ebay

mvnyc

There are two listings for this, the first is a mint condition set with a selling price of $1,500.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Machines-Galoob-Miami-Vice-Speed-City-Chase-Slot-Car-Race-Set-MIB-RARE-/261025560099The second is also a mint condition set with a selling price of $1,000.00 (the box is somewhat worn).http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Machines-Galoob-Miami-Vice-Speed-City-Chase-Slot-Car-Race-Set-MIB-RARE-/160787047910?pt=Action_Figures_Diecast_US&hash=item256fa7a5e6

Does anybody here own one of these? Better start getting funds together! I see the Daytona in there, or something similar, not sure what else. This would be pretty sweet if you could find the space to give it a nice display, maybe a little bit of neon and mirror action. Someday I'm going to need a second mancave to house (yet unpurchased) pinball machines and this beauty.

Does anybody here own one of these? Better start getting funds together! I see the Daytona in there' date=' or something similar, not sure what else. This would be pretty sweet if you could find the space to give it a nice display, maybe a little bit of neon and mirror action. Someday I'm going to need a second mancave to house (yet unpurchased) pinball machines and this beauty.[/quote']This is one of the rarest Miami Vice "toys." I wonder how much it went for when it first came out?

hmm kinda reminds me of the old viper slot car set I used to havehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyco-Magnum-440-X2-Dodge-Viper-TV-Television-Show-Slot-Car-Set-/121050367131?pt=Slot_Cars&hash=item1c2f2a049bcame with a huge track with a dodge stealth and the like but that was all I could find of it though.one thing though, what's with that white car there? that doesnt look like a TR!hell looks more like this onehttp://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_118754-Excalibur-Series-IV-Phaeton-1980.html

I'm of two minds on this. On one hand, MV was so popular at one point that I'm a bit surprised that there are so few of these out there. Especially since the premise of the set is pretty cool and definitely something I could see kids loving.But, on the other hand, maybe toy execs just didn't see MV as a truly viable property for kids, and manufactured (such as it is) accordingly? I don't know. Was there ever really a ton of MV merch that was targeted at kids? I mean, there was the board game, the computer games, the RC cars and models, and I guess the books and posters could be considered kid's items (I haven't read the books; Are they fairly adult in tone?). But compared to some other more adult properties that had toy representations (for starters: Robocop, Terminator, Commando, Rambo), MV was somewhat lacking in that department. At the time the show was on, if you were going to target kids, an action figure line was practically a given, and IMO MV would have lent itself well to that treatment, if that's what they were going for.All that said, the high auction prices don't surprise me. Ever see the LJN Magnum, P.I. action figure on Ebay? It can go for hundreds of dollars, especially if it has the car with it. And if you want a mint in the box example, you'd better have deep pockets. Prior to seeing the auctions with my own eyes, that's something I would have guessed would sell loose for $20-$40, tops, and I actually have some experience in this area.

One of the best Christmas gifts I ever got as a kid was the Aurora HO Thunderjet slot car set. It came with a 1963 Corvette Stingray and a 1963 Thunderbird. The track configuration was very similar to this Miami Vice set. I'm going to guess this set went for between $29.99 and $49.99 in 1985.

• 3 years later...

I have a Miami Vice slot car set I got from my brother. He got it off Ebay a few years ago and never opened it up. Yesterday I opened it up and I am missing the 2 short straights and one controller is shorted out. Anybody have a set that they are parting out? 

• 9 months later...
On December 22, 2016 at 10:26 AM, king77 said:

I have a Miami Vice slot car set I got from my brother. He got it off Ebay a few years ago and never opened it up. Yesterday I opened it up and I am missing the 2 short straights and one controller is shorted out. Anybody have a set that they are parting out? 

Looks like I just bought the missing parts, so hopefully I will have a 100% complete set. With all the backgrounds in perfect shape and both original cars.

will post pictures when I get it up and running, hopefully next weekend

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to putting it together. Some issues.

1. Still missing 1 of the cardboard scenes.

2. 2 of the cardboard scenes were bent.

3. The big over the water cardboard scene doesn't seem to fit.

IMG_0947.thumb.JPG.05b23ba58c98e7563e7bafe01795d317.JPG

Track is small, but fun.

IMG_0954.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...