"Rising Sun of Death "

Matt5

Most of the locations are covered in the glossary of the site -However - 1/ The shootout occurs at Southeast 12th Terrace beside the Greenberg Taurig building / parking garage . Before the shootout C&T were parked at the top of SE 13th Street before pulling onto Brickell Avenue.2/ The house Sonny and Caitlin view looks like Park Lane - Coconut Grove ( where Caitlin lived at 3665 in "Like a Hurricane " ) as the metal fence is the same as at 3665 - its difficult to see with all the overgrown vegetation - but it certainly must have been near 3665 Park Lane.3/The warehouse scenes with the club / girls was 1901 NW 7th Ave, Miami ( exteriors ) at one stage I saw Miami Freight Depot on one of the buildings. This was a more interesting episode for locations than I was expecting :D

Most of the locations are covered in the glossary of the site -However - 1/ The shootout occurs at Southeast 12th Terrace beside the Greenberg Taurig building / parking garage . Before the shootout C&T were parked at the top of SE 13th Street before pulling onto Brickell Avenue.2/ The house Sonny and Caitlin view looks like Park Lane - Coconut Grove ( where Caitlin lived at 3665 in "Like a Hurricane " ) as the metal fence is the same as at 3665 - its difficult to see with all the overgrown vegetation - but it certainly must have been near 3665 Park Lane.3/The warehouse scenes with the club / girls was 1901 NW 7th Ave' date=' Miami ( exteriors ) at one stage I saw Miami Freight Depot on one of the buildings. This was a more interesting episode for locations than I was expecting :D[/quote']Good info, thanks.:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Excellent work as usual C Glide. Am wondering if the referenced Villa Ipa is someplace that has current access for new camera shots' date=' and whether it was used in other eps?[/quote']Not sure about access now. Will be interesting to find out. Was it not Jack's place in Jack of All Trades.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Nice locations in this one from the fall of 1987 . Extensive use of the elusive Villa Ipa at Anchorage Way in Coconut Grove . 

The opening credits we see Crockett and his new wife viewing a house - this is definately Park Lane in Coconut Grove as the background fence/ trees match when I was there in 2013/14 as well as what we see in the opening credits of "Like a Hurricane " .

I would think the house was next door :D:D

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.7133907,-80.2513741,3a,37.5y,29.64h,89.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqbSTWkjGhk0Oq8LJ0rpgXA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664!6m1!1e1?hl=en

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Interior garage scene - “Rising Sun of Death”, groundfloor Greenberg Traurig garage north side.

64C14071-FD5C-4C4D-A870-6C3031D4958F.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I tried to find the house that Caitlin and Crockett want to buy at the beginning of the episode. Main clue is that the house is at the end of a small dead-end street (entrance at 90 degree angle to the access road) with no Circle driveway where road ends. This can clearly be seen when C&C walk up to the house. Lots of bushes and greenery at the end of road, thus the next neighbor is far. As this scene was not shot with this ep (I have the daily production reports) but with the next, Like a Hurricane, I scanned all dead end streets around the locations of LAH. No fit found. I am stumped.

• Like 1

Caitlin says the number is 4550,  Probably wrong, but worth noting.

I agree with Matt that it looks like Park Lane.  There are houses only on one side of the road.  That's fairly unique.  The chain link fence behind them as they get out matches what we see today.  But I spent a bunch of time looking at historicaerials.com and couldn't find a match.

I agree that next to the marriage home on Park Lane is most likely option but there is simply no house at a dead end street that fits.

I visited Park Lane and struggled to find this house - unless it was demolished and rebuilt. The chain fence also matches exactly what we see in Like a Hurricane. I would think it was filmed there.

Am 20.8.2018 um 11:31 schrieb Matt5:

I visited Park Lane and struggled to find this house - unless it was demolished and rebuilt. The chain fence also matches exactly what we see in Like a Hurricane. I would think it was filmed there.

Checked Like a hurricane again. I can’t  see a chain fence in any scene. Which scene are you referring to?

The rising sun of death house has a unique shape and roof incl a separate side building with similar features. Both should be easy to identify from above but no fit in whole Grove surrounding with or without dead end street! I also extended my search to South Miami because it is possible that this scene was filmed together with Love at first sight, not with LAH. Both eps were shot in Oct-Nov87, at least 2 weeks before RSOD aired on 5 Dec 1987. my assumption is growing that the house has been demolished or massively changed. Historic aerials doesn’t help - their godd..... copyright logos are blocking sight once you zoom in enough to see anything...:thumbsdown:

(remark: at the time RSOD was shot Sheena Easton was not even casted. The scene was later edited into RSOD and changed airing order to extend Easton’s cameo arc). They chose Lorraine Bracco -Edward James Olmos later wife- who got sick first few days of shooting LAH, then second ranked Easton was flown in quickly and her first scene was the proposal scene in the safe house.)

Edited by Tom

Just now, Tom said:

Checked Like a hurricane again. I can’t  see a chain fence in any scene. Which scene are you referring to?

Agreed, I noticed Matt's comment and studied the scenes and, like you, I couldn't see the fence.  But it is there in Rising and it is there when you look at the Hurricane house on Street View.

vor 1 Minute schrieb airtommy:

Agreed, I noticed Matt's comment and studied the scenes and, like you, I couldn't see the fence.  But it is there in Rising and it is there when you look at the Hurricane house on Street View.

Nice reference with the fence, it is some clue as is the dense vegetation and location logistics. But I spent 3 hours yesterday with Google and historicaerials and could not find the RSOD house with its unique roofline and side building even within extended search radius.

Sheena & DJ also filmed scenes in and around the music studio in North Miami, so that's a possible area.  But Coconut Grove seems most likely.

When I visited Park Lane a few years ago the chain fence is still there - it looks like, to me,  the same chain fence we appear to see in RSOD.

Edited by Matt5

vor 1 Stunde schrieb airtommy:

Sheena & DJ also filmed scenes in and around the music studio in North Miami, so that's a possible area.  But Coconut Grove seems most likely.

I also considered that and checked NE around studio and Quayside but nothing. But no surprise as there is no area in NE with the kind of dense vegetation we see in the episode.

Even if I sound like Crockett now in Shadow in the Dark (where they also tried to mislead us with the burglar houses to the NE grid by the way): the RSOD house got a certain vibe and that is only in Grove or Gables&further south.

:)

Edited by Tom

• 7 months later...
On 8/21/2018 at 10:29 AM, Tom said:

Nice reference with the fence, it is some clue as is the dense vegetation and location logistics. But I spent 3 hours yesterday with Google and historicaerials and could not find the RSOD house with its unique roofline and side building even within extended search radius.

In the 1986 aerial, the first house on Park Lane had the same gap in the roofline as the Rising house:

risinghouse.png.bf55b1da5f4aaa3b194aed219fe6a318.png  risinghouse2.png.2e98c8f715f52ba3541f6d4d7bcc9c3e.png

But a big problem here is that real estate websites claim it was built in 1921 and renovated in 1965.  Our house seems too modern for that.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4141-S-Douglas-Rd_Miami_FL_33133_M66557-98924

The fact that there are houses on only one side of the street is really unique.

Edited by airtommy

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2019 at 7:14 PM, airtommy said:

In the 1986 aerial, the first house on Park Lane had the same gap in the roofline as the Rising house:

risinghouse.png.bf55b1da5f4aaa3b194aed219fe6a318.png  risinghouse2.png.2e98c8f715f52ba3541f6d4d7bcc9c3e.png

But a big problem here is that real estate websites claim it was built in 1921 and renovated in 1965.  Our house seems too modern for that.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4141-S-Douglas-Rd_Miami_FL_33133_M66557-98924

The fact that there are houses on only one side of the street is really unique.

I peeked through and over their wall.  I don't think this is the house.

parkln2.thumb.JPG.b5767bbf636d992d6ebdeba3c6215c49.JPG

parkln1.thumb.JPG.0c1522ce5984daa727e143d10517e358.JPG

parkln3.thumb.JPG.243ac2e0c4163cf12a53105dc593202b.JPG

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2