Cows of October

Matt5

Peculiar "comedy " episode from Season 4 - with a lot of Miami River locations and the grass verge of Jose Marti Park used also . At 36-35 there is a scene with Crockett leaning on a distinctive white small bridge where is this bridge ? Some of this scene was filmed by Big Fish .Turnberry Isle Marina was used as an establishing shot for the end scene . :D

Peculiar "comedy " episode from Season 4 - with a lot of Miami River locations and the grass verge of Jose Marti Park used also . At 36-35 there is a scene with Crockett leaning on a distinctive white small bridge where is this bridge ? Some of this scene was filmed by Big Fish .Turnberry Isle Marina was used as an establishing shot for the end scene . :D

What bridge was Sonny standing on? Good question. It is one of those bridges on the Miami River that has been reconstructed. I checked them all and they all have steel railings now and new bridges have been built. I thought it was the SW 2d Ave bridge for a while, but I'm not sure.This is post number 3,000 for me. Do I win anything?;)

What bridge was Sonny standing on? Good question. It is one of those bridges on the Miami River that has been reconstructed. I checked them all and they all have steel railings now and new bridges have been built. I thought it was the SW 2d Ave bridge for a while' date=' but I'm not sure.This is post number 3,000 for me. Do I win anything?;)[/quote']Thanks Jim - looks like the bridge used in "Back in the World " truck scene but geographically doesnt make sense with that area which is Nw7th Ave Congrats on 3000... not far behind you :D

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have had countless sleepless nights wondering where the teaser of Cows of October was filmed. Your sleepless nights are over as I have now published this episode on my location site. Enjoy http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.netEingefügtes Bild

There are no unimportant Miami Vice filming locations.

• 1 year later...

A funny episode but so un- Vice like . The cast laughed a lot in this episode and probrably about the script !!  :D  :fireworks:

This is my photo of the Miami North Fork River looking to Downtown from the NW22nd Avenue bridge to the centre- left is NW N. River Drive and Nuta's Boatyard seen in this episode ( as well as "Red Tape" and "Miami Squeeze" ) 

Eingefügtes Bild

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

• 3 years later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION: CALVIN´s APARTMENT

After scrutiny I came to the conclusion: this ain´t a studio set, because it is too sophisticated and time-consuming for a one-scene studio build...

• real ceiling with lamp hanging down from it
  • two level podested floor with nicely glued carpet strips
  • the room has four full sides all around, fully equipped (indirect light, electric plugs, ....) - studio sets are usually only 3 sides...
  • entrance door with full lock
  • hallway outside the entrance door with indirect wall light, furniture and white carpet laid out 

needless to say that this will be hard to crack if this beautifully art deco colored 1-room apartment with glass brick wall and innovate toilet divider was not kept anywhere on a photo - I know this episode is not everyone´s favorite, but it is a cold case to go after for completeness purposes...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 22.13.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 22.14.44.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 22.15.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 22.16.34.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 22.16.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 22.17.45.png

• Like 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb C Glide:

Style a top of doorways matches the Waldorf that you highlighted recently.

I recognized that but I doubt it as the Waldorf has no windows that go down to the floor...

My best guess is an apartment in the Doubletree at 1717 N. Bayshore, as they filmed behind it (Sacramonte Restaurant) in this episode and it is the only neighborhood of other locations in that ep that makes sense for such apartment or condo.

The Doubletree has windows down to the floor and lots of apartments on the market to view https://www.apartments.com/the-grand-doubletree-miami-fl/ml5k9nl/, but I haven´t found one with matching dimensions (the interior will look a whole lot different of course)....

Edited by Tom

• 10 months later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND: ROJA´S WAREHOUSE

I did not even know that this location is still unknown but @C Glide´s website says location unknown, thus I solved this.

Roja´s warehouse was used several times in this episode for interior shots, most of the time a window is seen in the background. I recognized the window immediately, as we also saw it in the teaser of "Miami Squeeze", one of many episodes that used this location (including this one for many exterior scenes with Izzy and the Cubans), Nuta´s Boatyard back then, today it´s calles Hurricane Cove Marina at 1884 NW N River Drive. By the shot in Miami Squeeze we not only kow that this was filmed there, but also where exactly. The Washington Gym (Purple) on the other side of NW N River Drive and the other building (turqouise) prove that this location was inside the northern part of the main building (see red spot below). The windows have all been patched over since then.

See comparison below. ENJOY!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.05.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.12.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.09.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.19.21.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.22.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.24.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.24.15.png

• Like 1

THE UNKNOWN APARTMENT: THE KENMORE HOTEL?

There is a high chance that this last unknown location of the episode is in fact not a studio set, but the Kenmore hotel at 1050 Washington Ave (now called the Washington Park Hotel and includes the neighbor buildings as well).

Some circumstantial evidence is

• the picture of the Kenmore on the wall (we can see the same stairs as in "The Savage")- this is not just a picture but a customized "collage" (composite) of three different parts of the Kenmore hotel, thus unlikely a typical garden variety poster selected by set designers for a studio scene.
  • the long windows down to the floor that the Kenmore has (even when there is no balcony) - which is very rare in South Beach hotels
  • an extra bedroom in the background that they carefully tried to hide, but it is very briefly visible - who builds a set with an extra bedroom not needed for this scene? AND: This extra room means there must be an extra corner room with a 90 degree angle in the outer wall of the apartment. The Kenmore has that too  (L-shape of building) - most SoBe hotels not, as they are square shaped only!
  • the abundance of glass brick walls on the buildings (and most likely inside) which would match the glass brick wall inside the apartment and
  • the colors that match with what we see in The Savage.
  • the type of lamps (3-single lamps in equal angles on one circular axis) is still the same in the Kenmore

More investigation needed, but this is a strong lead. The apartment (and the aisle in front of the door) looks too sophisticated for a studio set and the ceiling with the lamp hanging down the ceiling in the middle of the room is a clear indication of real location (never seen in studio shots due to high ceiling and luxury effort).

See evidence below.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.42.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.43.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-26 um 00.06.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.52.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.53.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-25 um 23.54.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-26 um 00.22.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-26 um 00.33.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-26 um 00.36.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-26 um 00.39.57.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-26 um 13.25.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-26 um 23.01.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-30 um 13.26.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-30 um 13.47.13.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

THE AIRPLANE INTERIOR: A SET 

Same airplane as in "Rock and a hard place". The matching colors could be a coincidence but the exact same pattern of the blue seat cover is not. See below.

Very unlikely that this was a real airplane that was used twice in two episodes filmed one month apart. Thus 95% it was a set built for "Cows of October" (filmed early November 87) and then used again for "Rock and a hard place" (early December, one episode in between, so they knew that would need again such an interior two episodes later, as "Rock" was certainly planned at least 2 episodes ahead)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-01 um 19.37.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-01 um 19.39.32.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Tom said:

THE AIRPLANE INTERIOR: A SET 

Same airplane as in "Rock and a hard place". The matching colors could be a coincidence but the exact same pattern of the blue seat cover is not. See below.

Very unlikely that this was a real airplane that was used twice in two episodes filmed one month apart. Thus 95% it was a set built for "Cows of October" (filmed early November 87) and then used again for "Rock and a hard place" (early December, one episode in between, so they knew that would need again such an interior two episodes later, as "Rock" was certainly planned at least 2 episodes ahead)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-01 um 19.37.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-01 um 19.39.32.png

https://aeromockups.com/

• Like 1

vor 18 Stunden schrieb king77:

Of course I am aware of these airplane set companies (this one is in LA), but I doubt that there was such a set in Miami available in 1987.  Most likely they used a training airplane interior at MIA that is used by local airlines (United, Delta, ....?) to train their personnel and as MIA was also a big airport back then, there was surely one to use by the producers.

• 5 months later...

time travel on Google Street view (2009) shows where the windows of the shipyard building - we see the as bigger one on the left in Cows of October and Miami Sqeeze - were as they have been patched over since.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-09 um 00.57.32.png

• Like 2