Episode #86 "Badge Of Dishonor"

Ferrariman

My pleasure. Had fun doing it so far.

And I'm reviewing the Blu-rays. They really do improve on the dvd.

The only Blu-rays i absolutely had to have were the Bond films, Miami Vice, The Godfather Trilogy, and Scarface.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Watched this on again the other night. Things I liked... first, it has a lot of good location shooting which is something, IMO, the 4th season lacked particularly the second half of the season. Tubbs following Montana to Eyes of a Stranger feels a bit like old school Vice albeit with Tubbs' new look. As others mentioned, the opening has a similar feel--a nice big location shot and a cool drug deal that has the old school vibe (again, with a great song in "Glory Glory"). The historical aspect to the plot (response to the McDuffy riots results in some bad cops getting on the force) does provide an aspect that is unique to Miami (the riots).

On the down side,  a recycled story line with the addition of Montana's dirty cop + robin hood act. Ironically, the episode it mirrors--Knock, Knock Who's There? Also tries to make us feel really bad for the dirty cop because, in that case, she is using the dirty money to pay her kid's medical bills. Am I supposed to feel conflicted? And exactly how much money does Montana need for a soup kitchen? She had to be pulling in 10-20K with every hit. That buys a LOT of soup & bread. On top of that, she was basically tricked into participating. So now I'm supposed to feel doubly bad for her? She doesn't even say anything when they kill her boss? All weak character points, IMO.

I'm also not sure why Tubbs seems protective of her. This is another case, IMO, where we could have given Tubbs a little romantic sub plot that would've added to the drama (in Indian Wars he seemed awfully close to the chief's daughter; here he seems interested in Montana, although not in a romantic way--poor Tubbs doesn't have much luck with the ladies since the beard). On the other hand, love interests killed, sent to jail, or shipped off to rehab seem to be Crockett's angle.

So yes, I liked this episode for its style, but found the substance lacking. To me, it stands out in a positive way against a lot of the 4th season's second half but isn't otherwise memorable.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/22/2017 at 1:50 PM, Remington said:

Watch for the Barbra Streisand cameo lol.

I just read that DJ insisted on Barbara Streisand appearing in this episode in a cameo role! There's a VERY brief video of her walking by Sonny in this article. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/30-years-ago-barbra-streisand-don-johnson-gooey-eyed-hollywood-couple-couplehairgoals-max-191936016.html

12 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

I just read that DJ insisted on Barbara Streisand appearing in this episode in a cameo role! There's a VERY brief video of her walking by Sonny in this article. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/30-years-ago-barbra-streisand-don-johnson-gooey-eyed-hollywood-couple-couplehairgoals-max-191936016.html

PMT kind of ruins the moment when he slips down on the car. I don't understood why they didn't do that scene again. 

21:19 

Edited by RedDragon86

27 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

PMT kind of ruins the moment when he slips down on the car. I don't understood why they didn't do that scene again. 

This was a much better clip! Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

:) never noticed. Maybe Babs’ time was too precious for a retake. :p

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I agree that might have been it:)

Im sure you know she was dating Don at that time in February 1988 when "Badge of Dishonor" was shot - but still a cool cameo.:)

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Matt5 said:

Im sure you know she was dating Don at that time in February 1988 when "Badge of Dishonor" was shot

Yes, thanks. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

I can't stop listening to Eyes of a Stranger.

Although the singer’s voice doesn’t sound like Sting’s, I’ve always thought this was a very Police-y song. :radio:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Although the singer’s voice doesn’t sound like Sting’s, I’ve always thought this was a very Police-y song. :radio:

Yes now you mention it - I suppose with the loose reggae vibe contributed to that kind of “Police” sound, certainly was their era (1982) - great song, great scene and great Tubbs. :cheers:

Edited by Matt5

13 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Lol yeah, I agree there too. Fit the scene and episode pretty well.

The best.:cheers:

Edited by Matt5

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes now you mention it - I suppose with the loose reggae vibe contributed to that kind of “Police” sound, certainly was their era (1982) - great song, great scene and great Tubbs. :cheers:

Also the effects on the guitar. 

• 3 months later...

I like to watch Morgan Richter's reviews. She only gives the episode "Badge of Dishonor" 3 (of max. 5) flamingos, because she says it's actually a good episode, but basically a repetition of "Knock, knock... who is there". I see it a slightly different way. For two reasons:

One, there are two very different reasons why the cops get dirty.
Linda (in "Knock, knock...") consciously decided to accept bribes to pay the hospital bills of her critically ill son.
Montana (in "Badge of Dishonor") is blackmailed by the criminals and joins in out of fear, because she is convinced that no one will believe in her innocence. This is surely a big mistake of her, but she doesn't even want the money.  Since she has it now and can't give it back to anyone, she supports homeless people with the money in addition to her personal work.

The second reason is how and why this story is told.
In "Knock, knock..." the viewer and also Crockett ask themselves what they would do in this situation. Can the end justify the means?
In "Bagde of Dishonor" we see Tubbs with a dirty cop (Montana). Tubbs believes in Montana, follows her, has to realize that she is guilty, wants to understand her and her motives, helps her to try to make up for her crimes, trusts her on her last mission when Montana asks for a weapon.
For me this is a variation on and preparation for the Burnett-Arc.

All in all the similarities are more superficial for me. I find it to be two very different stories. I really like " Badge of Dishonor".

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

I like your very thoughtful comparison of the two episodes.  Thanks for sharing your reasoning.

I`m glad you like it. I know my text seems a bit dry. But I really had fun watching the episodes and discovering these patterns.  
There is definitely a mathematical part in me. And I often find and love this aspect in MV. What I would not have expected.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Like most Vice episodes, I really enjoyed this one: a big reason why is the "Ripped From the Headlines" feel due to the real-life Miami Police corruption case that got exposed mostly due to some of the dealers drowning in the Miami River; from there the floodgates opened and once the suspected cops were identified, it went from there (I watched "The F.B.I. Files" episode countless times, and there was an "Unsolved Mysteries" segment on it as well). I thought this episode followed those events closely, with the homeless at the riverbank an addition (I thought a poignant one). So, does this episode share similarities with 'Knock, Knock, Who's There?"? A bit, but since this case really happened, I view it as completely separate.

Also, I really like the character name Montana Stone: like a combination of Tony Montana & Oliver Stone, and a perfect character name for Vice.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 6:59 PM, Campion said:

Also tries to make us feel really bad for the dirty cop because, in that case, she is using the dirty money to pay her kid's medical bills.

Scottie Wheeler from the pilot found himself in the same predicament...and yes, this was a recurring theme on MV. A breakthrough from the 'black and white' depiction of most characters in 70s and 80s police dramas.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 8:06 PM, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Like most Vice episodes, I really enjoyed this one: a big reason why is the "Ripped From the Headlines" feel due to the real-life Miami Police corruption case that got exposed mostly due to some of the dealers drowning in the Miami River; from there the floodgates opened and once the suspected cops were identified, it went from there (I watched "The F.B.I. Files" episode countless times, and there was an "Unsolved Mysteries" segment on it as well). I thought this episode followed those events closely, with the homeless at the riverbank an addition (I thought a poignant one). So, does this episode share similarities with 'Knock, Knock, Who's There?"? A bit, but since this case really happened, I view it as completely separate.

Also, I really like the character name Montana Stone: like a combination of Tony Montana & Oliver Stone, and a perfect character name for Vice.

Yeah Miami police corruption was real in the early 80s as depicted in 'cocaine cowboys'. Entire police divisions were on coke and on the take...

• Like 1