Mirror Image

Matt5

The ceiling, fans and floor unchanged.  I am in the Florida, Miami and Bahamas area for all of February so will update pics when I return .

I am really looking forward to seeing those pics! Can't believe they've got the same fans and everything. Most places used as locations in MV have either been demolished or remodeled beyond all recognition - all that awesome 80's-style geometric art deco furniture, architecture, light fixtures, fans, decor, all in landfills for 20+ years...

I must thankyou as without your info  we would never have known MV shot at this 1930s location . It is quite a private residence and the Manager informed me it is now The Edwards Apartments and they do a minimum of a 7 month rental at around $1200 a month - seemed a little outdated and quite a few elderly. But MV shot on the second floor in the corridor area for 'Burnetts " recovery during the opening credits. The ceiling, fans and floor unchanged. 

I am in the Florida, Miami and Bahamas area for all of February so will update pics when I return .

:D  :fireworks:

Great work, Matt!  Look forward to seeing pictures of your (detective work) trip.  Cheers! :tasse::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

As this has just been guessed in the location trivia thread - this is from the teaser - Edwards Apartments - Collins Avenue - Miami Beach. ( Sonny recovers in corridor ) 

:D  :fireworks:

Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Really great locations in this one - great to see Frank Sinatra's "Tony Rome/ Lady in the Cement" Marina in this one in the teaser at Crandon Park Marina, Key Biscayne,

:D

• 2 years later...

I was looking at this unknown location from "Mirror Image" - could it be the Pelican Harbor Park up at 79th street ?! ( as seen at the end of "Jack of all Trades") . 

I say this as firstly the skyline is very distant and almost curves around like from Miami Downtown to west to Miami Beach and secondly there are distinctive rocks and gravel/grass on the edge of the water just like we saw in "Jack of all Trades". 

Thirdly it's very near Miami Shores and the Pink House used in this episode - I know not much bearing on this point as this episode shot all over Miami in Key Biscayne, South Miami and Miami Beach. But thought it looked a possibility to be Pelican Harbor Park at the JFK Cswy:)

IMG_3077.PNG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2017 at 7:50 PM, Matt5 said:

I was looking at this unknown location from "Mirror Image" - could it be the Pelican Harbor Park up at 79th street ?! ( as seen at the end of "Jack of all Trades") . 

I say this as firstly the skyline is very distant and almost curves around like from Miami Downtown to west to Miami Beach and secondly there are distinctive rocks and gravel/grass on the edge of the water just like we saw in "Jack of all Trades". 

Thirdly it's very near Miami Shores and the Pink House used in this episode - I know not much bearing on this point as this episode shot all over Miami in Key Biscayne, South Miami and Miami Beach. But thought it looked a possibility to be Pelican Harbor Park at the JFK Cswy:)

IMG_3077.PNG

Any thoughts guys I know a difficult case as was nite time ?:done:

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Could be and makes sense regarding distant skyline and location logistics.

Yes how it could be Downtown ( east) to the beach ( west) :)

• 1 year later...

During the “Rico’s Blues” montage where Tubbs enters the disused Ocean Drive hotel. This is the front entrance but he enters on the side street entrance on 10th (Edison Hotel/ 10th Street, Miami Beach).

B9EFDFFA-B721-48A5-8396-94541A4E479D.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2017 at 2:50 PM, Matt5 said:

Thirdly it's very near Miami Shores and the Pink House used in this episode - I know not much bearing on this point as this episode shot all over Miami in Key Biscayne, South Miami and Miami Beach. But thought it looked a possibility to be Pelican Harbor Park at the JFK Cswy

A very intriguing idea!

I took a screencap and brightened it up.  On the right side the skyline looks like downtown Miami to me.  And then when it pans over you seem to see the causeways.  At historicaerials.com I don't see anything at Pelican Harbor Park that matches up with the 3 shrubs we see here.

mirror2.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND

TUBBS HOTEL ROOM IN THE FAIRMONT (now Fairwind, 1000 Collins Ave)

This location is marked with "unknown" on @C Glides page for the interior but the exterior shot is correctly marked with the Fairmont.

I took a quick look and it is clear that they filmed that also internally there onsite.

Three big clues:

• the small 3x1 block window behind Tubbs, which is pretty unique. I´ve never seen anything like this in other SoBe hotel rooms
  • the distance between the small window and a second window which is out of frame but indirectly visible by its light cone. The wall between both windows is even, no corners or edges.
  • the sunlight in this room (day light) only comes from the left which means room windows must go to the east/south or west and it´s not a corner room.

Checking on the outside of the Fairmont, we find this unique small window with the same window dividers in two rows of possible room locations on the south side of the building (marked in my pic below) where the wall is even and the distance between both windows fits exactly. The window at the corner of Collins is not possible as there is a cornered edge in the middle between both windows which is missing in the room and the distance is not quite right too.

Another small location off the list.

UPDATE: I just found out that the Edison Hotel 960 Ocean Drive also has these small 3x1 block windows and 1 potentially fitting location for such a room (see last picture). Guess it´s a 50:50 chance then between these two as both hotels were used in that episode. There are no conclusive interior pics from both hotels rooms.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 19.18.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 19.08.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 19.10.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 19.12.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 19.07.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-15 um 14.18.53.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

LAST UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND?

BURNETT KILLS SOMEONE SITE, 79th STREET CAUSEWAY/PELICAN HARBOR

I just saw that this location is also marked with unknown at @C Glide´s an we speculated before about that location so I pick up this old case. I quickly realized that this cannot be filmed at Crandon Park marina on Key Biscayne as I thought at first. 

There is a causeway with traffic behind Crockett (moving light=car) and the shoreline to the left of that causeway in a 90 degree angle is nearly parallel but with some interruptions and has mostly very low lights (no highrises) and the shoreline is very long as the camera pans around. The cars are on grass, very close to the water just a tree between and a stone wall. This only leaves 79 Street Causeway/Pelican Harbor left. All other shorelines and causeways do not fit. Also the Spear house (gallery) at 9325 N. Bayshore is conveniently close.

Also I tried to match some unique clues like the 2-3 story houses in the background and the interruptions in lights on the shoreline. All can be explained only with 79th street. 

On the 1986 historic aerial there are not trees in front of the water and it looks like a stony unpaved trail , but 2 years (86-October 88) is enough time to grow trees and get grass there. And we know there were stones in early 1989 from the short scene in Jack of all trades that filmed there too (but this scene was shot towards downtown=south and not towards the east and thus not showing this exact spot.

very conclusive is the small water section behind Burnett which matches exactly with JFK causeway distance.

Bottom line: 90% likelihood. Feedback appreciated.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 19.53.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 19.54.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.39.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.00.16.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.10.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.13.21.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.24.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.15.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.53.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.59.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-15 um 14.04.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-15 um 14.07.48.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

UNKNOWN LOCATION: BURNETT KILLS GUITERREZ

Ocean Drive/Lummus Park near the stone wall?

I suspect that this scene was NOT filmed on the same location as the other Burnett murder (JFK/Pelican Harbor), but at a different spot.

After scrutiny of the two camera shots we have only as clue, I tend to suspect that this scene was filmed on Ocean Drive, in Lummus park very close to the wall where C&T shot the last punk in "Nobody lives forever". I have never noticed before that the background behind Guiterrez has lots of similiarities with the back-end of Lummus Park. See below. The other shot does not give much clues, but it does not look like JFK causeway/Pelican Harbor Park and it also might fit with Lummus Park if we assume that the white area behind Crockett is no wall but a sandy area (there is some between the trees there) and the lights in the background could be Ocean Drive hotels.

Any feedback or better ideas appreciated.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-15 um 13.36.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-15 um 13.37.22.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND: THE DREAM SEQUENCE

We all know this was filmed on Miami Beach, but it was unclear where exactly.

filmed from Beachside on 17 Street block (most likely on the beach in front of the Raleigh Hotel) up north with background we see at 21 (Seagull) -28 Street seashore buildings. 

I tried to suss it out for hours, but it proved more difficult than I thought and turned out very mysterious. But in the end, I think I´ve made it out. Here is what I have based on the main clue (a very broad beach area with nearly no green area in front of the hotels, which excludes many MB/SB beach areas):

I tried to find the buildings in the background and found only one potential good match on whole Miami Beach stretch which is as follows (areas 1-4 separately examined and numbered):

• Area 1: The Seagull at 21 Street/Collins (before the park between 21-22 Street). Hard to see now as the much higher Setai was built in front of it that at 2001 were the Sasson Hotel once was (see separate pic below. The facade has been remodelled a bit, but the box-shaped balconies facing the sea are clearly visible).
  • Area 2: that would be then the 22 block of Collins then with the Holiday Inn Oceanside Hotel at 2201 Collins Ave which was also torn down in 2006 and there is the W South Beach now. The pattern of the building with the windows and the vertical stripes matches well
  • Area 3: with the vertical dark and white building segments and the F-shape of the whole complex matching very well around 23/24 Street - this building is still there (see separate pic below, the F-shape can be seen also in the episode as an unique clue!)
  • Area 4 also matches fairly well and would be at 24 block of Collins and further up.

I mainly used historic aerials to compare as many buildings in this area have been torn down and the beach was much wider back in 1988 compared to present (global warming/rising sea level?)

What makes the comparison difficult is that historic aerials has a major glitch in this area. Starting with the 20-22 Street park up north, all buildings are unnaturally tilted against the viewer´s point of view (i.e. buildings tops tilted to the south, not to the north), whereas every building south of 20 Street is normally "combed up" to the north, which facilitates natural viewing.

The close up with Crockett looked a bit mysterious at first. The brief shots where we see an Art Deco building with coconut palms behind Crockett indicate that this is an Ocean Drive hotel. If they filmed all scenes on the same beach stretch (maybe they cheated!?), the camera position for both scenes (Crockett close up and the beach walk) would triangulate to approx. 15-18 Street depending on the zoom they used for the establishing scene of the dream walk sequence.

There is a building match in this area compared to Crockett´s background but it took me a long time to understand it. The only match is the South Seas Hotel at 1750 Collins, 2 hotels south of the Raleigh (1777 Collins) as it has the same height/width plus the slim white roof structure on top plus the antenna we see behind Crockett and no direct neighbor to the left, but the only catch is that the windows  of the South Seas are much smaller in reality on the right side of the building compared to the episode and do not match. I once stayed at the South Seas and I remember wider windows all over on the front side, but maybe they had some renovation? But then, I realized that what we see behind Crockett is not one hotel, but two: The South Seas Hotel at 1751 Collins to the left and neighboring The Richmond at 1757 Collins to the right. The Richmond has the exactly matching 4 vertical windows and the railings on the north side, The South Seas the fitting white structure to the left and both buildings have the antenna and the slim structures on the roof. But obviously they used a strong zoom to film Crockett so that the two hotels which are very close to each other seem to be only one structure.

Final verdict: Thus I am sure now 99% this was filmed as described and the camera position in front of the Raleigh on the beach (the zoom on Crockett shows that it was filmed a bit north of the South Seas/Richmond). All other parts on Miami beach further up north do not match, either the beach is too narrow or the buildings completely different (too tall, much too low, no buildings at all, ...)

Feedback appreciated.

ENJOY!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-15 um 19.44.49.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-15 um 20.15.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 04.02.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 04.05.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 03.39.15.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 12.38.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 04.34.45.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

MANOLO VILLA 9190 SW57 AVE - PERFECT INTERIOR PICS AVAILABLE

House was sold one month ago. Great pictures available that exactly match several scenes of the episode (some posted below). Even the exact spot of the "mirror image" scene of Burnett in the bathroom (marked with unknown on C Glide´s site) is clearly visible and the faucet is still the same that Crockett used.

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Miami/9190-SW-57th-Ave-33156/home/42907658

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 13.26.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 13.26.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 13.27.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 13.27.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 13.28.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 13.41.17.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 2:43 PM, Tom said:

BURNETT KILLS SOMEONE SITE, 79th STREET CAUSEWAY/PELICAN HARBOR

3 story houses in the background and the interruptions in lights on the shoreline. All can be explained only with 79th street.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 20.10.04.png

To me, those don't look like nearby 2-3 story buildings.  They look like far off 10+ story buildings.  That really looks to me like downtown Miami near Bayfront Park.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

To me, those don't look like nearby 2-3 story buildings.  They look like far off 10+ story buildings.  That really looks to me like downtown Miami near Bayfront Park.

Maybe. But there’s no other causeway in right angle to mainland where you can park your car left of it with a small water section between you and the causeway. Thus I am very confident for that location.

Edited by Tom

• 5 months later...

nice old picture of the South Seas and Richmond Hotels at 1750 Collins, nearly the same angle we see behind Crockett in the dream sequence.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 01.24.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 04.05.32.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think I have found the exact location of the Guiterrez murder scene. It was right next to the Bushido bathroom in Lummus Park at 14th & Ocean Drive. With adaptive lightning we can see part of the pink and green Bushido bathroom in the background.

The stone wall and the width of the walkway next to it fits with the teaser of Bushido and old picture of the bathroom, as well does the shape of the coconut palm trunk we see behind Guiterrez and the distance between that palm tree and the bathroom when compared to Bushido. The background behind Crockett fits too, especially the angle and the distance of the lights that belong to the Ocean Drive hotels in that stretch (up to 15th street).

Last location of that ep is solved.

Photo proof below.

P.S. the background behind Burnett looks like sand or a wall. It ain´t! After careful studies I am convinced that this is a low (and looks not fully green as there is heavy front lightning in this shot on the faces and the car) grassy area with a few smaller objects sticking up close to Burnett on the ground (whatever this is I don´t know). The grassy area fits to the 1986 aerial and also to today´s situation, just that higher vegetation is different.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-08 um 22.55.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-08 um 23.04.56 2.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-08 um 23.34.11.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom simply amazing! :cheers:

The outcome yes, the way to get to it, no. Just a second look at details often pays off. I´m flabbergasted how often I already missed details although I have watched episodes countless times.

• Like 1