Newcomer interested in adopting the look.

LegendaryE34

The first thing I have to say is I'm incredibly thankful for Netflix these past few months.I'm definitely an '80s kid, and Vice was one of my favorite shows on the air whenever I got the chance to watch it... only caught the last couple of seasons and even then only sporadically. Definitely takes me back to a better time and place. I recently rediscovered the show on Netflix a few months back and have been devouring it.So, that brings me to today. I work for a shop whose busiest day is Valentine's Day... which happens to be tomorrow. Typically, most of the employees tend to dress up fairly formally. Since this is my last day there, I'm thinking I'm going to go out with a bang.About a couple hours raiding through my closets and some last-minute shopping netted me an outfit that at least resembles Crockett's ensemble in Prodigal Son. It's definitely not totally correct but I think I pull off the look pretty well. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow, but I think I'll raise some eyebrows when I walk in. Hopefully in a good way. If people are for the most part receptive I might get some more clothes in this style and start making this a more regular thing. I think I look pretty sharp, at the very least.

Main thing would be the color contrasts, for Vice (S1 - S2) they often had it so it was a light contrast on the outside (jacket and pants) with a light T shirt (with a collar, I think hanes makes T shirts like that) or polo shirt of similar complexion on the inside with the occasional dark oneEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildwith that look from Prodigal I think its actually a very light tan coat, white pants and a blue green colored shirt, probably the coat that was ment to go along with his pants in out where the busses dont runwhile in S3 they had a darker contrast for most of his clothing, with the occasional exception but for the most part light grey, dark grey or blue grey took over where white would have been used mixed in with polo shirts and button up shirtsEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildthe other rule would be no earth tones and to use pale colors like a very pale green yellow I remember him wearing in S3 (S3 was very Blue/Grey/Green/Yellow in tone) if you need reference for a look from a specific episode try here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/vbglossar.php?do=showcat&catid=8personally my favorite is the S3 look as I've never been a big fan of white clothing

Wow... major thanks for the advice! I think I've got the color part down pat for tomorrow, although the exact articles of clothing aren't as authentic as I'd like them to be.Wearing a fairly thick long-sleeved shirt to stand in for Crockett's blazer(I live in a town of about 400K people and I couldn't find a white blazer anywhere, including vintage clothing shops) in just about bleach white, a pair of slacks in more or less eggshell, and a T-shirt maybe a couple of shades darker than the screencap of Crockett you posted first. I'm wanting to try the earlier looks first, since I normally wear mostly dark colors and earth tones so it'll stand out.I'll definitely be reporting back with my impressions and hopefully some pictures. Might hit the town with friends after work so I'll see how it goes. :D

Well hopefully it goes well for you, gotta admit though that after trying the S2 colors mixed in with a dark coat I kind of think they probably work best with a white or light colored overcoat, not the dark blue fleece I wear. kinda plays into the color contrast thing, my shirts are too bright for the dark colors I normally wear (black, dark blue pants and a dark colored coat) so I get sort of a sharp contrast that along the lines of blood red and black sometimes. olive drab green next to black does work though, abit sharp but not unlike the great McCarthy lookEingefügtes Bildand unfortunately I havent ever seen a light grey or white windbreaker around here, let alone any windbreakers without about a 1000 labels on them like your supposed to be supporting a race car team or something, cant ever remember seeing a white blazer either, might have to wait until summer for that so I will probably have to get them via ebay or something, its worth noting that light grey mixed in with the S2 colors does look modern when worn properly like in whatever works Eingefügtes Bildand I did see tubbs pull it off in Miracle man (S5) with black shoes next to light colored pants so I should be able to adopt it without changing my wardrobe pretty wellplus it also works with the S3 lookEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildSo grey might be a good way to ease into it while still looking modern for you and me, as that's what I'm going to try next.kind of funny though, shows you what they went through with the style of vice, it goes all over the place and theres bound to be a look in there that feels comfortable for you.personally I'm kind of keen on the yellow, never really tried that and mixed in with the grey, be it dark grey does look goodEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand the blue next to purple does work I might add like PMT's outfit there, although I really gotta stop using blue as a primary color in everything.

Hats off to Kavinsky for all the analysis :clap:My favorite of the pics is the grey jacket/yellow shirt. Favorite blazer isn't pictured, it's grey/maroon with thin blended horizontal lines. I think Coop owns it. I have one comment on the first photo posted, the one with Sonny lighting up while the guy is breakdancing in the crosswalk. Did anyone ever notice or remark on that guy's socks? With the placement on the street in that image, they seem to match up almost perfectly with the grey and white lines painted on the street, like his legs were painted over. I would wager that nobody else here has ever remarked on that, making me the first. If no challengers come forward and show me otherwise, that catch is MINE! At the risk of hubris, I would even say that's probably one of the best Easter eggs ever noticed from this whole show! :easter:

Good to see more people wearing the Vice style!Oxford shirts in Vice colors work well if you want a more casual look.They don't look too bad with white pants and work well as a substitute for a blazer.Crockett wore sleeveless shirts many times so those would be a good addition to your wardrobe.I get my shirts and oxfords at JC Penny,American Eagle,and Macy's at my local mall.Can't wait to see your pics!

Pics will be forthcoming tomorrow, but for now here's the report:I went ahead and did the S2 look. White pants, teal T-shirt, and an off-white, somewhat thick dress shirt. Valentine's Day is the busiest day of the year for the shop I work at, and this one in particular was the busiest one we've ever had in nearly 20 years of being open. I was around literally hundreds of people.I got a pretty positive reception. My sister and one of my coworkers said that I "Had that Miami Vice look going on. Looks great!" Absolutely no strange looks or snide comments, and I stood out from everyone else who were generally wearing reds, whites, blacks, and pinks.Not to steer the conversation towards hardware, but a major perk is that it's pretty easy to conceal a firearm when dressed like Crockett. I went with my full-sized 1911 today(versus my Walther PP clone) and had absolutely no issues.Overall, I'm quite pleased with the look and the reception I got. I think it's time to quietly gather more outfit ideas and start filling my closets. :cool:

Wait a minute...were you packing heat on the job?Good work with the outfit. Sounds like a win.

Yep, I do sometimes carry at work. Bosses know about it and are definitely okay with it.Without going into a huge amount of explanation, there are times where I'm carrying pretty large amounts of cash(bank deposits, etc) and we've been robbed before. I'm definitely not looking for a gunfight but there's been a rash of high-profile crimes and the like around here so I'm admittedly slightly paranoid. :o

So a standard hip holster or a classic Miami? A classic Miami is pretty sweet until the temps get above 85° outside. Gotta keep a jacket on.... I bought alot of odds and ends for the fun factor in clothing. Picked up a sweet INC brand white linen jacket at Macy's last year. Goes great with the white linen pants I picked up from Banana Republic the year before. I also have a black jacket I like yet i have a ton of cool pastel t shirts and some henleys... I just don't wear them much if at all... Bummer... being in my mid 40's and skinny with the MV look is fun! Mike

Yep' date=' I do sometimes carry at work. Bosses know about it and are definitely okay with it.Without going into a huge amount of explanation, there are times where I'm carrying pretty large amounts of cash(bank deposits, etc) and we've been robbed before. I'm definitely not looking for a gunfight but there's been a rash of high-profile crimes and the like around here so I'm admittedly slightly paranoid. :o[/quote']it would be a good idea to be careful with that one, one of the issues with a holster under a blazer or jacket is that if the wind blows its going to reveal the sidearm for all to see unless its buttoned up and even then if a cop gets a glance of it or if its imprinting that's not goodas that can be counted as open carry for a civilian (and if you watch the chase in milk run or any of the running scenes with the blazer open the holster and sidearm are quite obvious to the casual person walking by!) and some states do not allow that such as mine, along with not being able to get a bottle of mace without a permit and no stun guns (they really like to turn civilians into victims up here in the north in places like MA, New York and Chicago it seems, hence there high crime rates, they seem to like to have the bad guys better armed than the civilians and the cops!)must play with there magical version of the world where its filled with lolpops and candy to even think that people would carry a sidearm and use it for good it seems.anyways so the best bet would be to have it hidden under a button up shirt, you know undershirt, then the holster with the sidearm and the button up shirt here like nutinfancy did with his 9mm in this summer comfort one

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70vplXNktQ

he showed the rig on a trip to the fitzen knife shop and how he was carrying it, coat, button up shirt, holster then undershirt, but I cant find it right now, plus his youtube channel is filled with alarmist stuff right now and I really dont need the blood pressure jump. and never fear though he did wear a button up shirt in one of the episodes, and I know they have button up shirts in vice colors at JC pennyhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7579&stc=1&d=1361027732plus having a plastic bottle of mace at the side wouldnt be a bad idea, you know now you know who it is who stuck you up by the tracer left in the mace, would make it much easier for the cops to catch the guy. also with that miami classic holster WITH an SAO 1911, I dont think I'd want it sitting horizontally pointing at the guy behind me.Eingefügtes BildIt might be a better choice to go with a vertical rather than horizontal one with an M1911, even if its a GI model with a 5 pound trigger or a match one with 2 as I've known of people who have shot themselves with it.finger in the trigger guard, with the safety accidentally off when holstering it, so when they holster it they put pressure on the trigger and guess what happened next as they had turned off the grip safety from just simply holding it. thankfully it was with a hip holster, not a vertical one, hence why in IPSC shooting competition where the 1911 is prevalent there are NO shoulder holsters allowed and with a 1911 you gotta be extra weary of that trigger or safety catch not catching on anything.in my personal opinion I would only carry a GI model with a 5 pound trigger and standard size safety on it, anything more than that and its asking for trouble.actually fun fact alot of 1911 guys went from the 1911 to the 645 or 4506 to get away from that, including members of LA swat back in the 1980's with the 645. and personally I've found the 645 a hell of alot easier to point than the 1911's, although I would recommend going for a 4506 given its abit more refined and they can have there finish redone to look like the 645 if your interested in that. http://www.vintagepistols.com/range_report_S&W_4506.htmljust make sure you go for a pre dash -1 if you want to have one like Crockett had in S5, with a dove tail rear sight, not the one with the sides that are apart of the slide.This:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7580&stc=1&d=1361029910Pre Dash 1, vice era, standard sightsNot this:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7581&stc=1&d=1361029911post vice, dash 1, optional target sights. and thanks mike

post-592-13892965309945_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296531027_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296531061_thumb.jpg

All my holsters are for inside the pants that clamps to the belt like you pictured. I will say an undershirt(wife beater type-I didn't name it, just what it goes by) is key in warmer weather to keep the sweat factor down. Since I'm a skinnier frame than most in todays culture- 5'9" and under 180 it works well and can be concealed under a t-shirt or dress button shirt- even a polo type... A cell phone attatched to your waise is more noticable than my fire arm unless I'm carrying my .45 Smith M&P... That's a cannon and harder to hide. My P30 HK 9mm fits perfect for any occasion though...LOL... Like it's a feeling you have when you get up in the morning... I wonder what I want to carry today.. Not what I'm wanting to wear... LOL... Good to have options and choices. Just be careful...Mike...

@Kavinsky: Very good advice, and a great primer for concealed carry that hopefully gets some attention. Might not be quite on topic, but very on point.I'm lucky to live in an area where getting a concealed carry permit is fairly easy(except for the permit backlog; our county sheriff gets to them as fast as he can) and open carry is legal and relatively commonly practiced(I don't see people OC all the time, but we get maybe 3-5 people in the shop per week). I pretty much always carry IWB on my strong side. just behind my hip. Even with my 1911 it's fairly well hidden and I don't seem to mind the weight that much. I'm a little leery about running around with it in a shoulder holster for the reasons you mentioned, mainly using an SA in Condition One. My 1911 is an Auto-Ordnance model; one of the first made by Kahr after they bought it out. It's basically a mil-spec with higher-vis sights, and I don't intend on throwing a bunch of parts on it. It runs pretty well but it's not a Kimber or anything.My next pistol purchase is going to be a 645 or 4605. DA/SA, isn't as finicky at feeding, and still .45ACP... and that's not going into the cool factor of it being Crockett's replacement for the Bren Ten. Once all the panic buying slows down, I'll be poking around for one. My stepbrother has a former police issue(before they went to Glocks) S&W 9x19mm semiauto and I thoroughly enjoyed shooting that.Oh, and I forgot to post up, silly me:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7597[/ATTACH]Definitely a bit bushed at the end of the day(one of the highest grossing days in the shop's history) but I think I sport the look pretty well. :cool:

post-11525-13892965324391_thumb.jpg

hmm worked well for you, yeah one thing though some states have either an equivalent of a over 10 round ban at the state house

or worse like mine, hence the panic like he says theresomething about an entire ban on semi autos, ditto with crazy California, thankfully from what I heard its stuck in red tape and probably wont go through here but it prompted me to go for a new in box 645 I found at the local gunshow recently.and who knows with these people, comon sense and forethought are not their strongpoints when it comes to politicians, lawmakers and lawbreakers up here in the north, that much is evident living here in MA and its quite maddening sometimes.really must move either a state up to NH or do like Crockett said at the end of freefall, someplace further south where I dont know the names of the players.which in my case would apply in more ways that one...and no state and sales tax which are an absolute killer on the wallet.but I did fail to mention a gun choice though, Smith and wesson after vice, like a year latter modified the 4506 into the 1006, a 10mm verison of it redone by Wayne Novak who was a noted bren ten fan from what I understandand it might be just the ticket if you like the idea of going with a 10mm, mind you its getting up there in price, still sub 1G but only Just

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTH3DIJ7M-o

that and the glock 20 10mm are the only 10mm's that can really take the .357 magnum like cartridge without serious problems provided you take care of the springs, namely the gun needs 22 to 24 pound springs.and glock did like a month ago finally release the new gen 4 glock 20 10mm with the new recoil spring system, think the MSRP is that of the 645, about 550.also if you see what looks like a 4506 with a 645 stamp on it, that would be the one to go for, they only made 200 of them and that's what crockett had in S5 a rare transitional model with a slightly different frame on it to the 4506.but if your a sig fan you could go for the 220 with the heel mag release he had in the pilot, seems like just like the clothes there was a lot of choices for every firearms enthusiast out there when it came to crockett's projectile launchers of choice.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=2139and that's without mentioning his oversized backup guns, the detonics combat master .45 and the smith 9mm double stack he had as a backup in S5. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Miami_Vice_-_Season_5with the auto ordinance from what I understand they are good guns, basic but good and I would try and stay away from modding the thing as well. but its worth noting the only mod I think is worth it is an extended bevertail on it, that made all the difference in the world switching from a colt series 80 national match to a Kimber gold match.like night and day when it comes to shooting it as the stock bevertail is not radiused or anything and after about 50 rounds leaves a red rubbing mark on my hand.thankfully thought it looks like they had that in mind with the smiths, hence the built in radiused bevertails on them and why they converted alot of 1911 people to them.

• 1 month later...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTH3DIJ7M-o that and the glock 20 10mm are the only 10mm's that can really take the .357 magnum like cartridge without serious problems provided you take care of the springs, namely the gun needs 22 to 24 pound springs.and glock did like a month ago finally release the new gen 4 glock 20 10mm with the new recoil spring system, think the MSRP is that of the 645, about 550.also if you see what looks like a 4506 with a 645 stamp on it, that would be the one to go for, they only made 200 of them and that's what crockett had in S5 a rare transitional model with a slightly different frame on it to the 4506.but if your a sig fan you could go for the 220 with the heel mag release he had in the pilot, seems like just like the clothes there was a lot of choices for every firearms enthusiast out there when it came to crockett's projectile launchers of choice.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=2139and that's without mentioning his oversized backup guns, the detonics combat master .45 and the smith 9mm double stack he had as a backup in S5. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Miami_Vice_-_Season_5with the auto ordinance from what I understand they are good guns, basic but good and I would try and stay away from modding the thing as well. but its worth noting the only mod I think is worth it is an extended bevertail on it, that made all the difference in the world switching from a colt series 80 national match to a Kimber gold match.like night and day when it comes to shooting it as the stock bevertail is not radiused or anything and after about 50 rounds leaves a red rubbing mark on my hand.thankfully thought it looks like they had that in mind with the smiths, hence the built in radiused bevertails on them and why they converted alot of 1911 people to them.

Sorry for the delay; I could have sworn I replied to your post a while back and not a month later like I'm doing now. :oThe 1006 is definitely one of my grail pieces; didn't Mulder and Scully use the FBI version for a while in the X-Files? I'm pretty insensitive to recoil as I can digest some pretty harsh loads with my .357 without too much griping; actually i find it more comfortable than my 1911 due to the lack of hammer bite. To have something approaching that level of power and reliability in a semiauto is a very good thing; shame that Bren Ten resurrection didn't come about. I do like the Glock 20 but there's something about steel-framed handguns that I just like. So, it's either a 1006, 645, or an early 4506 for me. :DI've actually worn the Vice style several times in the past month, most notably at a statewide BMW meet I went to earlier this month. and have been quite pleasantly surprised at the positive reception. I've been waved to several times and have received nothing except compliments. I do need to get some more accurate threads once I can, but I might follow the example of some of the threads I've lurked in and start doing this more regularly. The clothes are comfortable and I look good. I stand out, but not like a sore thumb. I've also taken to listening to some of the old '80s cassettes the original owner of my car left me.

I've also taken to listening to some of the old '80s cassettes the original owner of my car left me.
Big up for sporting the vice style LegendaryE34!:cool:If you want some 80s music to play' date=' be sure to check out my [i']80's Broadcast.http://www.mixcloud.com/80sBroadcast/It's free and you can play it from your computer, tablet or mobile phone.:thumbsup: