Remake of Vice

Guest MetroVice

Guest MetroVice

I'm sure this subject has come up MANY times over the years but I was just reading some comments on YouTube of all places and someone mentioned there was talk of doing a Miami Vice remake using all the original cast members but the hold-up was DJ not desiring to do it (or words to that effect). Obviously one never knows if people are just talking out their ass of if they know something we don't.Again, I know this BS has come up so many times in the past, and literally *anybody* can get on YouTube and start a rumor about something like this, but I thought I'd just put it out there in case there's anything actually to it this time around that someone might be able to verify in some small way :shout:The link to the thread in question is hereI understand a lot of people would love to see this happen even though the original crew are getting older. The fan base is still rather huge for this old show but I thought if there was anything to be looked into this was the place to begin. After looking around a bit I just haven't found anything that would even remotely place any real stock into this rumor but nonetheless that's what I saw in this aforementioned YouTube thread. The video isn't actually about this issue but just an appearance DJ made on The Tonight Show so you'll have to read the first or second page of comments to see the posts I'm talking about.I guess I'm just hoping this time around there *might* be even a tad of truth to it instead of the usual complete and utter rubbish factor associated with this kind of thing.

A lot of rumors and suggestions go flying around in Hollywood. Most things never get the green light. It is very possible that there is talk of a Miami Vice remake though. I'd be up for it even if it involved a new cast of characters and the occasional guest staring role from guys like PMT.

A lot of rumors and suggestions go flying around in Hollywood. Most things never get the green light. It is very possible that there is talk of a Miami Vice remake though. I'd be up for it even if it involved a new cast of characters and the occasional guest staring role from guys like PMT.

I hate to say this but didnt they already do this and it was done by Michale Bay of all people with the first bad boys film?As I remember seeing a Switek and Zito pairing, you had the two wisecracking leads, a black sports car and the like.actually it was probably the only michale bay film I'll ever admit to liking.

I believe there's more to Miami Vice than just the actors. It was Miami in the 80s, that justified abundance of luxurious things as displayed in the show. It was a decadent era full of hookers, drugs and so much money the guys involved in those illegal activities didn't know where to put or spend it. The music which was a key part in the show was just different and reflected what happened back then. To much things have changed, life has changed, Miami has changed, the music has changed, the cars and a zillion other things that would make a present day MV is just not workable anymore.And of course the actors are older, they just couldn't realistically portray the characters they did back then. I mean, would a 60 year old Sonny still chase bad guys in a Ferrari, wearing blazer Ray-Bans and wait... slippers? Throwing nostalgic one liners like "back in the days..." without it sounding ridiculous or funny? Would Gina and Trudy still play the prostitutes undercover thing without looking a little bit out of place? Try and fill in the blanks without laughing out loud.It's just not gonna happen pal.

its not really about the era thought or miami in an earlier less crowded state, its the story telling that draws people in. mixed in with older better music, more memorabile styles and cars that dont look like electric shavers, aerodynamic hockypucks or an aerodynamic Japanese box and the cinematography which even to this day has homages done to it in modern media.Such as with burn notice and that protovision music video I found awhile backI mean you could still do Evan, Milk Run, Smuglers blues, Forgive us our debts and alot of great episodes now as long as you kept the tone the same, cinematography great and the writing top notch with a couple of good actors infront of the camera that believe in there work. And while this is the era when the TV and Movies applies to the least common denominators it doesnt mean that everyone does.hell even when a film or tv show is half decent these days they treat it like its the next coming of Christ and ironically because of that the 1980's seem to be coming back in a big way, even the Cheeze is getting wholy celebrated compared to the modern stuff.just look at commando.Yeah the minor details would be different but you could still do vice in the same way they did star trek the next generation, yeah it would be different but the core fundamentals would still be intact.hell one of the things they did to explain away the top of the line Porsche 911 in Bad Boys was to say Will Smith's late father was rich, that his whole family was into a lot of money and he just wanted to be a cop.could do the same here, hell the reason why vice got so big in the first place from its humble beginnings was BECAUSE of the story telling, hell they had a whole episode about a crummy security gig at a nasty looking hotel that eventually leaded into Castilos backstory.after all Art Thrives in limitations, its when you give people carte blanch that well it can backfire especially if it was just a flash in the pan, just look at michale bays other works. So I think just like bringing back Dr Who from 1989, Star Trek from 04' it could be done if the want is there, its just that well our one shot was a flash in the pan plagued with tone problems and actor problems and Michale Mann seems to have all but retired now when it comes to serious movie making.and it would take someone along the lines of Christopher Noland to even get it off the ground for another movie, someone with a serious background to make it last and stick and stick well at thatand there lies the problem, it can happen but I dont think it will unless one of us turns into someone like Noland or some series that is big on miami vice influence really takes off and turns into a very popular movie series.and I dont think burn notice could get THAT big.

If i was going to do a remake MV movie, I'd have it set in 1985 and have all the great music, pastel colours, black Ferrari daytona etc. I'm sure you could somehow recreate the old miami with CGI and some places havent changed. Josh holloway from lost would have made a good crockett but he's a bit too old now.Anyways, i don't think the show would work as a TV show set in the present or some kind reunion show.

• Administrators

Obviously one never knows if people are just talking out their ass of if they know something we don't.

It's been discussed more times than I care to remember. Sorry, but I'll put my money on talking out of their ass.

It's been discussed more times than I care to remember. Sorry' date=' but I'll put my money on talking out of their ass.[/quote']lol true but My point is vice isnt dead, it never died and it lives on with us in more ways than one, after all legends never die and if the demand ever gets high enough we could see another shot with it.I just seriously doubt its going to be on TV and the closest we have and probably going to have is burn notice.moviewise well with nolstagia with these modern movies and tv shows applying to the lowest comon denominator if done right it could be successful. hell look at the noland Batman series, those are half decent but batman isnt exactly likeable and that made more money than god, hell the pilot movie made into a movie and called something like Drug Runners Miami could really do well I bet.hell look at vice city, that things got its own separate legacy going even to this day.

Guest myonlyvice

I wish HBO or Showtime would remake it into a series regardless of the actors used or the time period they set it in. Of course, I would prefer it to be set in 80's with some original cast members but modern day with newbies is better than nothing.

I don't know, call me a purist but any remake without the original cast wouldn't be worth watching. I was never happy with how FreeFall ended the series, too many unanswered questions that need to be answered. To me, it's all about closure. Whether it be a 2hr movie or 2 part episode.

Guest MetroVice

Sonny in the same role? I don't hardly think so . . .

And of course the actors are older' date=' they just couldn't realistically portray the characters they did back then. I mean, would a 60 year old Sonny still chase bad guys in a Ferrari, wearing blazer Ray-Bans and wait... slippers? Throwing nostalgic one liners like "back in the days..." without it sounding ridiculous or funny? Would Gina and Trudy still play the prostitutes undercover thing without looking a little bit out of place? Try and fill in the blanks without laughing out loud.It's just not gonna happen pal.[/quote']I don't think anyone expects a sixty-something year old Sonny Crockett to be still be doing the same crap he was doing back in the 1980's. I never said nor even hinted anything as ludicrous as that. Clearly we would expect these people to have moved on in some fashion, be it promotions, or just doing something else.Look, I never said I had all the answers, just that I saw a conversation where someone indicated this was "in the works". But don't think for a second that anybody would really think that DJ or PMT would be partnered up and doing the stuff they used to do in their younger years. That just isn't reality and people know that. And Gina and Trudy as 50 & 60 year old prostitutes? Oh please. Even I would give the writers more credit than to do THAT :rolleyes:Miami Vice certainly COULD be re-made *if* it was done correctly. I would definitely want the original actors involved though. But just to be clear, NOT in the same roles they were in 23 years ago. That's just plain silly. I guess I took it for granted that everybody would at least have the capacity to understand they'd likely be doing other things in the department by now (my God, I would certainly hope so in all this time).

I think too much time has passed for this to be a reality, especially with the original cast members (even if they were in different roles). I do see the series being re-booted (like Hawaii Five-O) at some point. The most we can hope for is a reunion, on say "The Today Show" or something like that. It'll be 30 years next year, that would be a good point to do a "where are they now" type show...

So,vice gonna be remake or what? Sonny and Rico (DJ & PMT) gonna be senior cop ? (Like Lieutenant or captain?) If I didn't understand exactly just someone tell me the truth this please! ''brief way''Sonny&Rico's son something?

Kojak was in his 50's and made a great N.Y. cop. I even saw a Kojak TV movie where he was in his 70's. Still made an interesting film. DJ & PMT can do the same with the right Miami Vice story.

Of course it would be fantastic to see the original cast in a well written story that would shed some light on some of the unanswered questions of the series. No doubt.:cool:A movie would be best, as I don't think another series would be viable. Why? Well first and foremost because the networks don't give a frak about fans. All they care about is the black on white statistics of the ratings. No matter the quality of a show, if not enough people watch it it will get canceled. Or they put it on the "dead-row of series" - Friday night and then it's just a matter of time before it gets canceled.On the other hand it could be cool if the original cast could do a cameo appearance in a another show. How awesome would it be to see them in Dexter? I mean, that would make sense - it's Miami Metro right? They could investigate a case from the 80s and need to ask the cops involved in that case from that time and 'bang!'- hello MV crew!:clap:But of course that's just my wild fantasy.:glossy:

Guest MetroVice
Kojak was in his 50's and made a great N.Y. cop. I even saw a Kojak TV movie where he was in his 70's. Still made an interesting film. DJ & PMT can do the same with the right Miami Vice story.
Hey Tony!Yeah' date=' that's kind of what I was talking about. I saw the Kojak made-for-tv movie and for true Kojak fans it was really great. I was one of those that loved Kojak back in the day though :thumbsup:Even though the main [i']Vice actors are getting up there in age it could still be done well if the right people wrote it. Others have also brought up some very good points as well but I think I agree with the general consensus that as much as most of us would love to see it happen, I also really doubt it ever will. I simply saw it mentioned on YouTube and thought I'd get some input.Another thing I wish would happen is Martin Ferrero showing up at these Miami Vice reunions. In all the one's that have occurred I've never known him to appear. I know he wasn't part of the regular cast but he sure appeared in a huge number of episodes and is loved by all.... but I guess that's another story.Cheers to all :cool:
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, summer84 said:

I was curious on how a MV intro would look like in 2016. Maybe something like this?

Although with minor changes. :)

Good try...i would keep the typography with the Futura font family instead this one. I think John Diehl´s name is not correctly written too...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Good try...i would keep the typography with the Futura font family instead this one. I think John Diehl´s name is not correctly written too...

Whoever made the video did a good job, but yeah I would also make some small changes.  

I could see myself warming up to a remake with different actors. IF it's done well. If it's in its own way faithful to the original, and if you've got some of the old actors resuming their old roles, this time as supporting cast.

I've said it before, they did a good job resurrecting Fargo, at least the first season (season 2 was a terrible letdown). Entirely different actors, nobody from the original movie, but it took place in the same universe and was done in the same kind of style.

And Don Johnson has recently warmed up to the idea of remaking "Vice". He said in an interview that when people would ask him a few years ago if he'd like a Miami Vice remake, he would always say "naah"... but these days, his attitude seems to be more like "You know, why not".

Hm. Don's son Jesse would be just about the perfect age to star as Det. Billy Crockett in a remake. It would be kind of too cool for words if the two would play father and son in a new series... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If you were to actually do it and pull it off Philippes idea with an unsolved case from the 80' s ain't bad. And Don is looking sharp for his age. It might work with a good script

• Like 1