Miami Vice Pilot Episode In HD? Where?

Miami_Vice

It's hard to believe that no one seems to know where im able to watch it or download it. This thread has over 900 views now.Very sad :cry:

Very odd - it hasnt been released either as a blu ray or dvd even?:D

Nope :cry: But ive heard some people say that the pilot episode is on Netflix and its the HD version. But i dont know if that's true or not since i dont have Netflix myself.

Regarding the pilot episode in HD, somebody posted this comment on You Tube, for what it's worth: Hate to be the one say this, but these clips are NOT "true widescreen". If you check out this same scene from a fullscreen video, you'll see that all they did for this "HD" version is simply zoom in to fill in the sides so that it appears to be widescreen. Hopefully they don't do that to the show if it's ever put on blu-ray.

If you have a Blu-ray player, or an upscaling DVD player, plus a hi-def TV, your Miami Vice DVDs will be "scaled up" to near hi-def quality. I have this setup and it looks pretty good.

Hate to be the one say this, but these clips are NOT "true widescreen". If you check out this same scene from a fullscreen video, you'll see that all they did for this "HD" version is simply zoom in to fill in the sides so that it appears to be widescreen. Hopefully they don't do that to the show if it's ever put on blu-ray.

No way pal. You can clearly tell they improved the quality alot in the HD pilot. The HD Pilot looks so much better than the DVDs. They must of done more than just made it widescreen.

If you have a Blu-ray player' date=' or an upscaling DVD player, plus a hi-def TV, your Miami Vice DVDs will be "scaled up" to near hi-def quality. I have this setup and it looks pretty good.[/quote']I would very much appreciate it if you could post a picture :) Becuse that sounds interesting if it really gives a much better picture quality that is.

No way pal. You can clearly tell they improved the quality alot in the HD pilot. The HD Pilot looks so much better than the DVDs. They must of done more than just made it widescreen.

I agree the Hd Pilot looks better than the dvds even when played on upscaled blu ray player - it has been cleaned up better for the Hd Pilot :D

still regretting missing it back in '06), but there's a bit more info (and a link to the HD version of the intro) in this thread:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?16830-Please-anybody-offer-me-any-filter-like-thatI've said it before, I'll say it again: Since the pilot is already "done", and it's movie-length, why not release a standalone Blu Ray to test the waters for possible future season releases in the format?Even if they'd rather go with 4:3 HD season releases (retain the original aspect ratio, but with the superior image quality), a 16:9 standalone Blu Ray of the pilot would still absolutely be worth having, IMO. Something totally unique.

I would totally buy a bluray of the Miami Vice pilot. Even if it were like 30-40 bucks, I'd drop coin on it.

That was me. I wrote that wrong. While the footage IS in HD, the picture is the full frame print that's been zoomed in to appear widescreen. Simply put, they DID NOT go back to the original negative (assuming Miami Vice was shot on film and the true widescreen prints exist).Check out the opening shot in this video. You can clearly see the sky above the house and trees. In the HD version, the sky is gone and everything is bigger (zoomed in).

If we had a bluray version of the whole series, would you want it cropped to widescreen or full frame?I don't want any of the image to be taken out on a show thats mostly known for its images. Its okey to crop a tv show like friends but most of the camera blocking won't work if the sides are taken out..it'll ruin some of the cinematography

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I find it hard to believe that NBC would actually have Universal go back to the original film elements and produce a true HD program for the pilot for a 1-time-only airing. Plus, if that was the case, wouldn't you think (by now) it would be available as a stand-alone, Blu-ray DVD? (I believe) they likely upconverted the standard definition version to high definition in transmission and that is what they aired in 2006. (When I worked for ABC television back in 1999, we used to broadcast "Monday Night Football" in HD, it was nothing more than an upconverted SD signal to HD).

I find it hard to believe that NBC would actually have Universal go back to the original film elements and produce a true HD program for the pilot for a 1-time-only airing. Plus' date=' if that was the case, wouldn't you think (by now) it would be available as a stand-alone, Blu-ray DVD? (I believe) they likely upconverted the standard definition version to high definition in transmission and that is what they aired in 2006. (When I worked for ABC television back in 1999, we used to broadcast "Monday Night Football" in HD, it was nothing more than an upconverted SD signal to HD).[/quote']It isn't that hard to believe. They actually went back to the original 35mm film negatives and at least scanned it in 2k (4k scanners really weren't yet around in 2006). NBC Universal has been very good about going back and scanning their back catalog of television programs in high def. Lots of their old shows like Columbo or Knight Rider are now in high def thanks to their hard work. I used to doubt they were going to start scanning the entire Miami Vice series in HD, but I'm positive they are doing it now or are about to after watching many of these older programs in high def. I just hope that when they do an HD release of Miami Vice, it'll be available in 4k. After having seen 4k tvs in person, I'm amazed at how much of jump in picture quality it is compared to even normal HD. The increased color spectrum and the higher res of 4k literally makes everything look like real life. :thumbsup:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild
  • Like 1

If we had a bluray version of the whole series' date=' would you want it cropped to widescreen or full frame?I don't want any of the image to be taken out on a show thats mostly known for its images. Its okey to crop a tv show like friends but most of the camera blocking won't work if the sides are taken out..it'll ruin some of the cinematography[/quote']It'd stay in the correct 1:33:1 aspect ratio.

It isn't that hard to believe. They actually went back to the original 35mm film negatives and at least scanned it in 2k (4k scanners really weren't yet around in 2006). NBC Universal has been very good about going back and scanning their back catalog of television programs in high def. Lots of their old shows like Columbo or Knight Rider are now in high def thanks to their hard work. I used to doubt they were going to start scanning the entire Miami Vice series in HD' date=' but I'm positive they are doing it now or are about to after watching many of these older programs in high def. I just hope that when they do an HD release of Miami Vice, it'll be available in 4k. After having seen 4k tvs in person, I'm amazed at how much of jump in picture quality it is compared to even normal HD. The increased color spectrum and the higher res of 4k literally makes everything look like real life. :thumbsup:[/quote']There's been talk about this for some time, but nothing more than that. Who knows, the 30th Anniversary of the series happens next year, maybe by then?

• 1 year later...

If there was ever even ONE show that should without a doubt be on Blu Ray, it's MIAMI VICE. EVERYONE knows it's the most visual show ever made. 

If it's not out yet, there must be a reason that it isn't. Is it the cost of reuse fees for all the songs? I don't have the answers, but there is a reason why it's not out yet, otherwise, it would be out right now.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

If there was ever even ONE show that should without a doubt be on Blue Ray, it's MIAMI VICE. EVERYONE knows it's the most visual show ever made. 

If it's not out yet, there must be a reason that it isn't. Is it the cost of reuse fees for all the songs? I don't have the answers, but there is a reason why it's not out yet, otherwise, it would be out right now.

I hope it's because universal are inundated with work that they haven't got around to "Vice" yet rather than it being the result of laziness. Aslong as it's coming eventually, I can wait but I don't want to hold out hope for nothing.

• Like 1

I hope it's because universal are inundated with work that they haven't got around to "Vice" yet rather than it being the result of laziness. Aslong as it's coming eventually, I can wait but I don't want to hold out hope for nothing.

Dude,... "FRIENDS" is on blu ray. If that's not injustice, I don't know what is. :)  

• Like 2

Dude,... "FRIENDS" is on blu ray. If that's not injustice, I don't know what is. :)  

Good point lol, I do like Friends but I think it's been shown on TV over here in the UK pretty much every single day since it ended like 10 years ago, It wasn't really necessary on Bluray.

• Like 1