Episode #22 "Lombard"

Ferrariman

Review and rating of this episodeThanks Jeremy and Airtommy for all the info and pics to show the real places from the episode. Anyway, I take it this is supposed to be like the reviews of the episodes and rating them. I just did this one on Org so I'm pasting it on here since I don't want to type it over again. I know eventually all the episodes will be up and we will rate them again and review. So here's what I thought of this episode and how it rates to me. I watched this and one thing that always gets me is how they re-use people for other characters. Like Labreezie's played by the same guy who played Charlie Glide and Charlie is played by the same guy who plays Dale Menton too. Love Crockett's pale orange henley and khaki colored pants, Tubbs blues suit my fav outfits in the episode. I have to say that Stan and Larry were so funny. The part where Larry tells Stan that he's an eating machine and discribes Stan's face like a car I just laughed. And I think that's the first time I recall seeing Stan and Larry doing surveillance in the T-bird and not the bug van. Oh and on the roof at the motel where Switeck starting teasing Larry about MPB "Male pattern baldness" so funny. glad to see them in the episode and the comedy relief. I thought the whole episode was excellent. Loved when Sonny and Rico where in the Daytona watching Lombard pack to leave and they joke around before following him. Tubbs: (Posh English Accent) Crockett, you never bring more than one suitcase to the theatre. Crockett: Oh Really. I thought that was some more good comic relief. Then they go to follow Al and the driver goes through the causeway toll and you read part of the sign being out. I like that they do that, let it be real. Anyway I thought that was slick of Lomabard to do the sharp turn and shut off his lights. But like someone said, it's strange that C&T would lose them like that. But there they were in the nick of time firing and shooting and rescuing Al. And again, Sonny not liking Lombard at that time states "Just doing my job" I thought it interesting to see how they cleared out the whole motel and then how many people were on the stake out. Tubbs seemed to warm up to Al faster than Sonny who still had some smart remarks. Seems after dinner Sonny started to warm up to him. And then he saw the honor in Lombard, didn't like what he did but did like the honor in the man. When Al escaped and saw Sal he promised to testify and I thought he really would to make it up to his son. But in the end he didn't, which I was disappointed in. I thought the stakeout on the Vitus with the stinger along side was a nice scene. I like how Al talked about leaving Auggie the car and C&T cigars, very nice scene showing how they all liked each other. What I thought was interesting was how the other episode with Lombard and this episode was tied together with Sonny talking to Lombard about Barbara Carrow. I thought that was pretty good that they did that, joining the two. Then going to court how they all wore the blue hoods and jackets. I thought it looked funny but I could see why they'd do that. but those poor musicians being frisked and then Castillo telling them to send the bill for damages. Again sad to see Sal left because Al didn't testify. When he came out it was nice to see that Tubbs and Crockett still respected Al and Crockett then understood even more the honor of Lombard. Shaking his finger at Al Crockett: " If I ever catch you dirty your're mine." Lombard: " Of course, it's our business, nothing personal." That there showed how they respected one another. then the typical Mann ending. Lombard drives off with the hitmen following him, leaving it up to the audience to figure out if he's shot or not. I thought he was shot until I saw him later on in Vice. This episode is a 10/10 in my book.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well we're finally at the last Episode- "Lombard" This was always one of my top favorites. Although Lombard is a crime boss, he comes across as a likeable guy, who reveals that along with the money, cars etc. with his lifestyle, comes a high price which is the hatred of his son for his ways. Sonny shows a compassion for Lombard, without condoning his crimminal activities. When Charlie is offered a chance to take over Lombard's action by that snake Librizzi, I couldn't help but notice the watch on Charlie's wrist. Wow! Better than Sonny's! There's humor in this episode : C&T watching Lombard's boat & doing a little Laurel & Hardy routine about suitcases with British accents. Larry & Stan trying to get a table at the fancy club. Lombard telling C&T he pays his bodyguards 10 times what they make as cops & Crockett saying,: " Get a refund!" I like the boat scenes, clothes, music and the tough Mafia soldiers. The vermicelli scene with the garlic powder is a blast, which shows the human side of Lombard & C&T. As Charlie is about to shoot Lombard and is shot by Sonny instead as Rico yells " Nobody move, Miami Vice,down on your face", I get those chills, that made me like Miami Vice for it's cool, more than any other cop show. Jan Hammer's music accenting all the action...... It all works for me. Yeah, I give this one a 10!

I never really did 'get' the Lombard character folks. Sorry, but I gave this episode a 6 and I suspect that will mystify other members. Personally I'm glad that Lombard doesn't reappear until the final season and can't understand why fans find the character a 'loveable' gangster. Not a huge fan of U2 either. I tend to skip over this episode when I'm watching season 1. Evan is by far the better episode

• Administrators

It is hard to put any ep after Evan.They should have ended the season with that one or had Lombard before it.

• Like 1

It is hard to put any ep after Evan.They should have ended the season with that one or had Lombard before it.

Well said Timm. I'm obsessed with the episode Evan to be honest. I've had many a late night discussion with the Talk (Barb) on this! :) Lombard is a bit sycophantic for my taste
  • Like 1

Personally I'm glad that Lombard doesn't reappear until the final season and can't understand why fans find the character a 'loveable' gangster.

I think he is "loveable". He's got charisma, he's charming. "World of Trouble" was really good - I didn't know they'd bring him back and I was surprised when I started watching that episode, but was happy. For me, "World of Trouble" seems better than "Lombard", but I think that may be because "Lombard" compared to the rest of Season 1 is good, but not special, whereas "World of Trouble" compared with the rest of Season 5 stands out.But we're here to discuss "Lombard" right now...I think if Lombard was played by someone else, it prob. wouldn't have been as good, but Farina does a great job - sometimes actors have such a big impact that they can make something average into something very good. Final thought - The way they bring Lombard into court is fantastic!
  • Like 1

Guest neworder

Lombard is the big gangster of Season 1, we see him in One Eyed Jack, his name is mentioned on numerous occasions throughout the season e.g 'lombard surveillance' etc and in this episode we see his empire crumble to pieces . This is a stunning episode. When lombard goes into police protection you get the feeling that he's at last trying to be a decent guy. I love the scene in florida villas where he cooks and al, tubbs and crockett all have pleasant chit chat. I almost feel sorry for lombard and how he is let down by all his own people. However, he's still a fierce character when he orders the execution of the librizzi's guy. Charlie is a slippery character, dont like him lol, played well though. Classic scene with U2 playing and C&T tailing lombard, very very good scene. The only negative i can see really is sal lombard, who doesn't strike me as the son of a mobster, nor does his season 5 version. So poor casting of this character but apart from that this episode is very very good. We also see the last shots of the Stinger speedboat before season 2 commences. 9/10 And there we go, Season 1 wraped up nicely. Good season, some poor episodes here and there but its certanly not as random a ride as season 4 for example. Starts well, ends well unlike season 3 and has great style to it!

9 out of 10 for me, hard to live up to Evan just before it, but still pretty darn great. I've always admired how Dennis Farina played Lombard, he's a bad guy, but then again, not really. Despite the fact he's sone some bad things, you can't help but like him.That ending is an MV classic, especially what it implies (though World Of Trouble obviously makes it clear that the outcome isn't what you think).

A great episode with Dennis Farina making a welcome return as Lombard. The episode humanizes him a bit compared to the cold villainy portrayed in One-Eyed Jacks. Excellent music here especially U2's "Wire".

Original Score: 8/10

Reflective Score: 10/10

Edited by agent 47
Update my thoughts.

Season one really ended with a bang with two superb episodes, Evan and Lombard. This is a great episode. ONe of the best episodes of season one. Maybe one thing I dislike about this episode is Dale Menton from Golden Triangle is back already playing a different character. And Lombard's son is a whiney little b*tch. But they're the only complaints. Otherwise I love this episode. This has all the elements of a great Vice ep; great guest stars, nice scenery, fantastic Jan Hammer tunes. Some great shootouts and action scenes in this ep. I loved the scenes with Lombard bonding with Crockett and Tubbs. Beautiful shots of the St. Vitus out on the Ocean too. Lombard is such a great character, played excellently by Dennis Farina. He has so much depth and more dimensions than the average Vice bad guy. He's content materialistically but not spirtually. A life of crime can take a big personal cost. Crockett initially has contempt for him because of his murder of Barbara Carrow but eventually warms to him when he finds out there is a real human being under the appearance of the ruthless gangster. Great season finale and great episode. Although the S5 follow-up World of Trouble is just as good and possibly better.I'd give this 9.5/10

• Like 1

This ep has always been one of my favorites and although Lombard is a crime boss, Dennis Farina’s excellent performance makes you get to like him in the end. Lombard is such a great character with a deeper personality than the usual Vice villain and it’s interesting to see Crockett gradually finding out that Lombard actually has a human side.The scene with Charlie & Librizzi is particular, no one expects to see a major crime boss discussing criminal actions in an ice cream shop, with a cheerful song playing and especially in front of such fabulous sundaes.I love those sundaes they look delicious, I’d eat both if I could!I too like the scene “Crockett, you never bring more than one suitcase to the theatre.â€â€œOh really.â€The tailing on Rickenbacker causeway (or better, cau) with U2’s “Wire†is a classic Vice scene it has all the elements we love so much especially night setting + great song.Florida villas: what a nightmare place! I like the entire scene but those villas always amaze me because I love the tumbledown and abandoned buildings I find them so fascinating.I love the scenes with Lombard on the St. Vitus with Crockett and Tubbs, there are beautiful views of the boat and the sea. Lombard taken to court is a good scene, they all wear the blue hooded jackets, the two musicians frisked and it’s all very “vice†but in this case it’s a little weak because when there are important trials, nobody accesses the building from the main entrance.It’s sad to see Sal leaving because Lombard didn't testify but then we see Crockett’s respect towards Lombard shown in two simple sentences.Crockett: “If I ever catch you dirty you’re mine.â€Lombard: “Of course, it's our business, nothing personal.â€My last comment is about the dinner scene; it’s funny to describe us Italians wearing garlic around our necks and to see Tubbs cutting the vermicelli with the knife, aw! Although I definitely agree with Lombard on the fresh garlic, I have to say something and I’m about to breach the netiquette. Ready?LOMBARD’S VERMICELLI LOOK DISGUSTING!!!A GLOP OF OVERCOOKED STICKY PASTA WITH A LIQUID TOMATO SAUCE!

• Like 1

I liked this episode alot. Lombard's character is great. But for me, worst part of this episode was when Lombard was walking with his son on the track (very heart to heart moment) and his son out of nowhere tells his father he loves him. I just didn't like this nor was it believable. The son was telling him he couldn't stand him through the episode and then this. The sundae's in the ice cream shop change from shot to shot...lol The amount that is in them but they have not been eaten yet..:D**what aim Crockett has when he shoots the fat dude in the junk yard...lol**

• Like 1

I love the ep. My favorite scene is the one in the hotel where C&T and Lombard are shooting the bull after the meal (when Tubbs gets a lesson in the difference between garlic and garlic powder).It's funny when Sonny says something like, "Why do you Italians always make so much food?" like he's really, really full -- then you see the normal, medium-sized pot Al used to make this supposed spaghetti feast!

It's funny when Sonny says something like' date=' "Why do you Italians always make so much food?" like he's really, really full -- then you see the normal, medium-sized pot Al used to make this supposed spaghetti feast![/quote']"What is it with you Italians? You always make tons of food".We actually tend to make large portions and we have a saying that sounds like "there's enough for an army", so I think that Crockett's statement is correct!As for the so-called spaghetti feast, see my review. ;)

There are few things in life better than a large spread of Italian food to gorge on. I've never had the privilege of actually dining in the home of an Italian family, but I bet it would be heaven.

• Like 1

I've just typed one of my massive reviews of this episode, which has now been completely lost by hitting the wrong key on the keyboard, so this will have to be an abridged version!Love the intro to this episode, and the line "how do you like my picture". Plus it takes place at Watson Island, a notable Vice filming location.Liked the "designer shorts" scene with Switek and Zito.I too noticed the fact that John Santucci was playing his second of three Vice roles, Ned Eisenberg was playing his first of two, and the old guy that Augie was talking to at the dog track also played Gill's father in "Death and the lady".Liked the dialogue between Crockett and Tubbs with their English accents. Tubbs sounded like a Victorian Cockney, Crockett more like an upper class English Toff.Good acting by DJ in how he portrays Crockett's mistrust and antipathy towards Lombard gradually melt as he gets to know him. By the end of the episode he actively seems to like Lombard.Only thing I didn't understand was why Lombard's face dropped after he said to Tubbs "you.... you still get the cigars".Notice those two hitmen in that car at the end of the episode. Switek and Zito's evil twins?Not a bad episode. 7 out of 10

I too noticed the fact that John Santucci was playing his second of three Vice roles

The glossary says he played two roles. Is there another apart from Lombard and Golden Triangle?

Yep' date=' that's right![/quote']So I guess we need the glossary amended to include "Jack of All Trades" under John Santucci...

• Administrators

So I guess we need the glossary amended to include "Jack of All Trades" under John Santucci...

:done:Click ---> here

There are few things in life better than a large spread of Italian food to gorge on. I've never had the privilege of actually dining in the home of an Italian family' date=' but I bet it would be heaven.[/quote']It is heaven. Every night for me. And always a ton of food. I actually have some of yesterdays pasta punttanesca (my favorite) leftover for lunch today. Not sure if anyone has had this before other than some Italians here but it is made with Kalamata olives and anchovy paste in the sauce, so good. Can't wait for my lunch now...lol

• Administrators

Lombard. This name evokes former episode(s). The relationship between soulmates Lombard and Crockett - which is a typical Mann theme - could have lasted more than this single episode in my opinion. Its open end shows that the continuation of this storyline was considered, but unfortunately the Vice makers took it up not until the grand finale of season five. This time the good guys use a legal trick ("Article 5") to sandbag Lombard into testimony (though it doesn't really work finally) - usually only the bad guys fool justice by using some dubious loopholes. I do like this variation of the theme.Beside the storyline there are many tidbits to discover. For example numerous camera walks. Pick of the bunch is the one through OCB, lasting nearly 30 seconds. I learned that OCB was located at Greenwich Studios and looked like in reality: Kudos to the mastery to make a room look that vast when there is so little space.Eingefügtes Bild Another cool camera walk can be seen in the pub where Fusco and Librizzi meet for conspiracy. This is the right time to speak about color and style. This bar is a true Vice-colored room. Even the cocktail is of pastel color. No wonder that none of the bad boys take a single swallow during the whole scene. :D Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Crockett's outfit is quite variable. But the most striking suit he wears when inspecting Librizzis burnt down storehouse (with a burning cigarette!): His white jacket has smoke colored stripes --> brilliant! Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild

• Administrators

Some more goodies: ... Crockett imitating Lombard's bodyguard, Rico in a yoga position, some poor musicians with a Mafia violin case, Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild ... the glances between Rico, Sonny and Castillo, understanding without a single word, Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild ... and last but not least natural sources like the incomplete lighting of the Rickenbacker tollgate or a real Grayhound racing as background action. Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild All in all the story only suffers from two facts. First: Lombard's son is a really pale and unimpressive guy. Second: Crockett and Tubbs are fooled by Lombard and lose his trail like rookies, nevertheless they reach just in time to save his life. Not very convincing imho. my rate is an 8.There is one question left. The female assassin looks and moves like a man. Even his/her way of walking and posture look very male. Was (s)he really a woman? Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild