Freefall - The final episode

Matt5

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

interesting shot in "Freefall" an establishing daytime shot of the testarossa on Collins avenue heading South toward 21st Street but camera pointing north . The camera was located on the street almost in the middle of Collins ave - pretty neat . Towards the end of the episode - after the "Land of Confusion " montage - first time this shot was in any episode . :D  :fireworks: 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.796378,-80.1288,3a,75y,352.29h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sI8DHFGE2RhffBp_gLV3nhA!2e0

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Crockett & Tubbs meet Izzy for the last time.  Izzy is selling magic crystals and telling some cute girl about a nudist camp.  Crockett is tired of all the song & dance and just bribes Izzy for the info (but then takes the money back):

http://binged.it/1zbpc5A

Sunset Harbor Yacht Club - 1800 Purdy Avenue , Miami Beach.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sunset+Harbour+Dr,+Miami+Beach,+FL+33139,+USA/@25.795537,-80.14432,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shTQcaE94cvSOTcgqYNgLcA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88d9b47dbd3b64ab:0x8ee87cf3682de45d

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/27/2013 at 5:32 PM, Tom said:

The location with the stone wall where C&T pick Borbon up and Shoot their way out is also unknown. according to a member who was present at shooting this was a park in Coconut Grove but I cannot find any match in that area.

Here are the comments from forum member DJAngel:

Monday, April 3rd, they were filming scenes from the final two hour episode, "Freefall", in a park in Coconut Grove. It was a perfect setting because it looked like a jungle in the middle of town. Don was not there, but we were able to watch Philip going to and from a scene, and later watched filming of what seemed to be a village scene with children and animals running arund making a lot of noise. Cut from the final show.

On April 5th they were filming on No Name Harbor at Key Biscayne. We had the perfect place to watch them film. We sat on the opposite side of the harbor, away from the set, on a wall facing the harbor and out onto the ocean. It was a beautiful day. Though we were quite a distance away from the filming, we had a clear view of them. They filmed all morning on a boat

I always assumed these scenes were filmed on the grounds of the Deering Estate.  Isn't that where the interior scenes were filmed?

Free_Fall1.png

Edited by airtommy

Here are the comments from forum member DJAngel:

I always assumed these scenes were filmed on the grounds of the Deering Estate.  Isn't that where the interior scenes were filmed?

Free_Fall1.png

wow ! never knew they filmed those scenes at The Deering Estate .

Yes the escape scenes from the palace seemed to be filmed near Coconut Grove - the walls seen in those scenes are all over Coconut Grove and also near Vizcaya . :D

• Like 1

Wow I overlooked that as well as it is so a simple solution. Would fit to all of ths scenes in question.

I never realized that the coastline area of Deering Estate where Tubbs and his girlfriend Alicia fooled around in Afternoon Plane is exactly behind Borbon. But these incredible insights are proof that 4 eyes principle makes sense. And that airtommy is worth every penny of his location hunt salary ;-)

• Like 1

Here is more confirmation that the scene was filmed at the Deering Estate.

A screen cap of the wall around the Borbon estate:

Photo of the wall around the Deering Estate:

Screen cap of the "escape" shootout as C&T bring out Borbon.

Photo of the main entrance to the Deering Estate:

Also I remember that the Deering Estate has a lot of natural undeveloped terrain which could easily pass for South American "jungle".

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

Bingo, that gate is a perfect match!

I wish I lived near Miami.  I'd love to wander around the Deering Estate looking for the various spots they used in Freefall.  Maybe do it at night in camouflage and face paint so security doesn't hassle me.   :)

• Like 2

That sounds like fun.  Do you think we would find Felicia?   =)  Actually the estate is open to the public including a trail that goes through the original native terrain.

• 4 months later...

The Deering Estate (SW72nd Ave) -So we discovered some key scenes ( interior and exterior ) were used in the Series finale in 1989 "Freefall". 

Some interior palace scenes and the escape scenes with the Deering Estate gate also seen. 

This below is one of the gates at the entrance to the Deering Estate which one did they use - so presumably the fight scenes and when they come out of the screening room was also all filmed on the Deering estate:dance2::dance2:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.6151245,-80.3084378,3a,75y,137.53h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spxki_ZayU55bJt8wRmJ7pA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

• Like 1

So after looking at the scene again - they used the main gate for the escape scenes from The Palace ( Deering Estate) and this road SW72nd Ave in South Miami was where the shootout entailed:dance2:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.615862,-80.3084611,3a,75y,78.02h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siPmqkiyCfDgmbM-EziRXQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Like 1

The "Palace" scenes just before the escape when Borbon comes out of the screening room was filmed on the rear terrace of the estate  . The camera was placed to the right of the building under the tree to the side entrance of the terrace - they then all ran out . The small stairs in that scene must be also on the rear terrace as you see the columns and if you notice in the pic where the arches become square - the staircase would be there :dance2::dance2:

100842_841_full.jpg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

At 40.29 a truck pulls outside the main gate to pick up Borbon and our heros - this was shot on SW167th St as the truck pulls

onto SW72nd Avenue - this tree is seen in the scene:dance2::dance2:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.6160024,-80.3086451,3a,75y,131.08h,84.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1si6aM_pOv7R-UZY5sCiJQ8g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Like 1

So looking at the screening room they must have used the main room, the stone house ballroom ( seen in "Cuba Libre" and "Bushido" ) entering from the rear of the property as the black and white floor is a match .

:dance2:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Nice photos and links.  :D

Thanks Jim ! Looks like they shot all over Deering for the final episode !!:dance2::fireworks::D

• 4 months later...