Freefall - The final episode

Matt5

Looks like Santa Glide has some Christmas-in-July gifts for us.  :xmas: :D

I just watched the scene again.  I don't recognize anything, but maybe these columns are important: 

Freefall8.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was tough. Break through came when I focused on the lighting and realized there was one line of unique high end looking distinctive lights. Then lots of theater lights. Too many to believe were set up for the scene. Had to be some type of stage or theater. I thought it may be the same location as the rally in Victims of Circumstance but ruled that out quickly. Noticed that there were two pillars, very unique designs, barely noticeable off to the sides. And the stairway with the open lit door was both up and down so we were not on a ground floor. I started looking at theaters in the area and the second one I thought of I hit pay dirt. Looking at mages for theater lights I hit on the lights that were unmistakable. Then the pillars were the actual sides of the stage. Then other details were checked and matched up. Definitely the Olympia Theater on Flagler, DT Miami.

• Like 5

Yes, I increased exposure and brightness, but it's still had to see anything in the background.

What's next for you after Freefall?  Closing credits?

Edited by airtommy

Well I will soon be in Naples which will allow me to hit Miami on a regular basis. I plan on working my way through the series again, looking for unknown locations, taking more pictures on location, updating the look of the site a little, maybe adding some behind the scene pictures. Now that I have gone through it I will be able to add some trivia type notes updating each page with any missing info on other places a location was used and maybe stuff like the shortest and longest teasers etc. Things I took notes on but did not include. I do feel good about having stuck with it and completed the whole series. I also only have one more season of Burn Notice to do.

• Like 4

It was about ten years ago that I went to a lot of the locations in this episode to take re-creation shots. As I go through them now it is hard to believe it was 10 years ago. Also have numerous pictures with DanJ in them. Miss him around here as he always had solid, informative and enjoyable post on here.

I walked around Vizcaya with screenshots from the various MV scenes filmed there.  I found all of them except this one from Freefall & Heart of Night:

Heart_Night2.png

It looks a heck of a lot like Vizcaya, but many major details are different.  Was Vizcaya remodeled or this some other building?

Edited by airtommy

21 minutes ago, C Glide said:

Yeah, it was tough. Break through came when I focused on the lighting and realized there was one line of unique high end looking distinctive lights. Then lots of theater lights. Too many to believe were set up for the scene. Had to be some type of stage or theater. I thought it may be the same location as the rally in Victims of Circumstance but ruled that out quickly. Noticed that there were two pillars, very unique designs, barely noticeable off to the sides. And the stairway with the open lit door was both up and down so we were not on a ground floor. I started looking at theaters in the area and the second one I thought of I hit pay dirt. Looking at mages for theater lights I hit on the lights that were unmistakable. Then the pillars were the actual sides of the stage. Then other details were checked and matched up. Definitely the Olympia Theater on Flagler, DT Miami.

Wow. I gotta say, that's impressive. 

• Like 1

Agree, impressive Charlie.  Glad to see the Olympia Theater was used  I often wondered why they didn't take advantage of this magnificent building.   Been there, it should have been used often.  I know it didn't fit into Mann's image of an Art Deco/Miami Modern Miami but by season 3 and 4 his influence had waned.

4913_content_art1.jpg

4913_content_art1.jpg

4913_content_art1.jpg

Edited by miamijimf

1 hour ago, C Glide said:

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

Yes, I increased exposure and brightness, but it's still had to see anything in the background.

What's next for you after Freefall?  Closing credits?

You guys do incredible work...I am often amazed by the thought process in sleuthing and the details identified to find some of these locations.

• Like 3

Amazing find!!!  In my notes I didn't even list this as a location to be searched for.  I assumed it was impossible.  And yet, CGlide made very short work of it!

If you go to Google Maps and drag the Street View icon to the photo by Corina Ramirez, you get this view:

Freefall9.png

Freefall8.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

In case you haven't seen these old pics of the Olympia stage I think they will help pin down the exact location of the actors in this scene.  It looks the orchestra pit could be covered with a floor for some events.

f3103e87d311b21bc1633d9f20114f02--elvis-in-concert-olympia.jpg

Olympia-Theater-Interior-1926-Florida-Memory.jpg

f3103e87d311b21bc1633d9f20114f02--elvis-in-concert-olympia.jpg

Olympia-Theater-Interior-1926-Florida-Memory.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

Was off at the beach the last few days so I have not checked in. Yes I remember seeing pics with it open and closed. I hope the pit is covered if I get in so I can get the best re-creation pictures.

Going to be in south Florida this coming week. Planning on going to Deering Estate on Tuesday and Olympia theater for the evening show to get in and photograph. Anyone in the area want to meet up let me know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took these in Costa Morada ! Borbons Palace - (1) in the teaser Borbon walks down these stairs in the main house with his general. (2) this is a recreated shot as they all escape from the screening room before entering the grounds :hippie:

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

Thanks Matt! How did you get into Costa Morada? Also needed some help from local Tourist Office aka bribery at customs like Crockett&Tubbs?:p

• Like 1

Besides the Vice connection with the Deering Estate I like the ancient sub-tropical forest on the property.  It includes a pre-Columbian Native American mound that had never been explored, at least by the last time I was there.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom said:

Thanks Matt! How did you get into Costa Morada? Also needed some help from local Tourist Office aka bribery at customs like Crockett&Tubbs?:p

Ha ha ! yes thankfully I had no issue at the Espanola Way customs/ tourist office :p

Edited by Matt5

14 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Besides the Vice connection with the Deering Estate I like the ancient sub-tropical forest on the property.  It includes a pre-Columbian Native American mound that had never been explored, at least by the last time I was there.

I didn't even know about this Jim and Ive been many times - here is some more information sourced from a Cutler Bay community paper , thanks for the heads up :hippie:

http://communitynewspapers.com/cutlerbay/new-burial-mound-boardwalk-now-open-at-deering-estate/

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1