Episode #85 "Hell Hath No Fury"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

I don't know what to really say other then I thought it was horrible.1 for me.The "I just wanna talk to you" line was ridiculous.

• Like 2

There used to be an old commercial where these old ladies were standing around a table looking at a hamburger asking "where's the beef?"If these elderly ladies were Vice fans and watched this episode, the would ask "Where's the vice?", why is a Vice Cop even involved in a rape case? Did the writers forget that the Vice squad was made to combat drug dealers, pimps, mobsters, biker gangs and any other forms of organized crime? I know people would complain if all episodes only dealt with the stuff Vice squads deal with but guess what, Miami Vice was a show about a GASP! ... Vice Squad.This episode gets a 1 from me, maybe I'm being grouchy but I prefer the show when it actually deals with you know, the Vice stuff.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm not voting on this episode. It's one of the few I consider unwatchable!Gonna have to add a zero to that poll!

• Like 2

Guest neworder

I used to hate this episode with a passion and to be fair I still do. However, upon my latest viewing I did appreciate the storyline a little more, but unfortunately the execution is insanely poor. This episode is boring, ridiculous in places and very untasteful, especially before the credits role when one women says 'if I was to be raped I wish it was by him', completely out of order. Seems like Miami Vice at this stage was just being controversial for the sake of getting attention and more ratings, this was easily a low point of the series. The music is appalling, doesn't sound like Miami Vice at all. The style is dull, but a few locations are interesting. The Mercenaries storyline injects some excitement into this episode but it lasts all of 5 minutes. So pretty terrible then, but not as bad as I once thought. The storyline isn't awful, and the shoot-out towards the end is ok. This episode is executed badly and as such get's a 3/10 . I did rate this a 2 on .org but I now deem Everybody's in Showbiz worse than this so I swapped them around.

To me the story behind the story is very strong.Should a human always forgive someone, And is it ok to push a victim into talking with the perpetrator.Can a perpetrator asked that from someone whom is scared for life?And what is the influence of the media? Is it oke to hunt people like that for interviews and influence the public opion?it is regrettably that the answers or a hint to a answer is not part of this ep.The best scenes for me this ep wereSonny and Rico talking at night at OCB. The non verbal talking there was great.Rico speach about the systemGina and Stan talk in the van.I also noted that there were a few animals in this epStan is holding a cat, there was a dog at the shooting range and there was a black cat in the tv program Beeks is watching.But there is just something about this ep it just doesn't stick. I wrote this review 5 minutes after watching it and I can not remember the name of the victima 6 from me.

To me the story behind the story is very strong.Should a human always forgive someone' date=' And is it ok to push a victim into talking with the perpetrator.Can a perpetrator asked that from someone whom is scared for life?And what is the influence of the media? Is it oke to hunt people like that for interviews and influence the public opion?[/quote'] I like this defense of the episode.It reminds me of all the ridiculous extremes we see on justice in the news. Take your pick: Witch trials (Duke). Federal politics vs. state law. Cases where someone shoots in self-defense or defense of property and goes to prison. 4/10

There were worse episodes in season 4.This possibly being the third worst..I watched it the other night to refresh my memory,can't believe i sat all the way through it!..As i watched,towards the end the ferrari had a mirror on the passanger side..then in the next scene it was on the drivers side....This was the highlight of this ep. for me

Posted: January 09 2008 at 5:11pm -I don't love this episode, but it was kind of interesting. I must disagree with you Neworder, it's very different from "Bought & Paid For." I think that the victim, Ellen Mason, after being raped by Beaks, was so affected by the experience, that she couldn't accept Beaks' apology. She was so obsessed that he would rape her again that it clouded her judgement. She hires a hitman, she tried to stab Beaks with the scissors when he only wanted her to forgive him. The Hitchcock ending makes you wonder if she was getting phone calls from another pervert, or were the caller's words all in her frantic mind? Nice pink colors in Ellen's home. Trudy's earrings get wilder & bigger! When looking for the hitman Rico tells the landlady, "I'm his cousin." That cracked me up. Crockett has the smallest part in this until the shootout at the end, which is very cool with him trying to bond with the mercenary with his military duty. I really feel Beaks was rehabilitated & wanted Mason to forgive him. Castillo to his crew: "If you're not prepared to actlike professionals in the future, I would like your transfer requests on my desk by this afternoon." WOW! I rate this a 7/10 P.S. The talk show host was the one who caused the crowd outside of Ellen's home, not the news media. I'll watch this again before I rate it for this poll!

Guest neworder
Castillo to his crew: "If you're not prepared to actlike professionals in the future' date=' I would like your transfer requests on my desk by this afternoon." WOW! [/quote']Great quote, this is one thing I forgot to mention in my review, whenever Castillo comes on screen in this episode he's great!!!

Guest myonlyvice

This is one of only a handful of episodes that I am positive I saw when it first aired. In my opinion, there are four S4 episodes which are simply not good, each with its own, unique reason. This is one of the four. (Otherwise it is a fabulous season.) The Ellen Mason character is downright irritating. I can't stand her horrified, slack-jawed, taciturn demeanor. The only nice thing I can say about her, and please don't think me a sexist, is that she is very pretty. While the philosophical basis of the story makes great food for thought, it was handled (written and directed) poorly. I don't understand Trudy's misguided passion in it, either. If anything, it should have been Gina who was all riled up given her sad history with rape. I suspect they did it simply to have one black lady feeling sympathy for another just because both are black which, if true, shows how mishandled this episode was. This would be very cheap, simple-minded and not befitting a show like Vice, whose characters hadn't previously let race influence their judgment. 99% of the time Miami Vice is colorblind, the way it ought to be. It was a mistake when the show strayed from this path. It seems like S4 was the only season to contain so many references throughout to skin color, discrimination, etc. There was even one episode in which Tubbs complains about something "setting back minority hiring" but I can't remember if this was the third or fourth season. Maybe if you're reading this you can clarify. Either way statements and attitudes like this are generally out of character for anybody in Vice. The scoring is off, sounds Gothic if you ask me. I liked Petersen's scoring in "Rising Sun of Death" for example but in this episode it just didn't work. Didn't sound Hammer-inspired one bit. The hit man aspect was about the only consistently interesting thing in the episode. The meeting Ellen and Hatch had on the beach was intense! And about the wacky ending, I thought of a way in which to explain it without having to invoke the surreal: maybe Beaks recorded a message similar to what Thurmond did in "One Way Ticket". I don't know if a heel like him would actually be sophisticated enough to do that and I bet the writer and director were giddy about having a silly, supernatural ending but, nonetheless, there is at least one way to explain it relying on natural means, thereby saving the director and writer from their own stupidity. I give it a 2/10, thanks to Hatch.

• 2 weeks later...

I give this story a very generous 2. I found the story was lackluster and very uninspiring, the music score was more befitting for a horror movie and it just just so unbecoming of MV.

• 6 months later...

well, don't have much to say to this. Don't like it. I agree, it's no Vice stuff. Some things didnt make sense: a professional hitman screwing up the first time? The rapist attacking her at work and no consequences? Why was Trudy so attached, that is very unprofessional. Liked how everybody stick up for her though. The ending is ok and Castillo is right!, really like that guy. Other then that..not very exciting. I gave it a 2.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

i wont go into the intricicies-others have covered this episode very well-to be blunt i think a rapist is the worse type of scum and was glad he got killed,but im a fan of the dark endings too-the phone call at the end-overall though a 3 or 4 from me.will skip this one next time.

• 2 months later...

This played like a mediocre Lifetime Movie of the week to me, that Crockett and Tubbs were trapped in.The "reformed" rapist PUBLICALLY harassing his victim for forgiveness, made my skin crawl.Plus something about the actress that played her bugged me.5/10

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

What MrsEvanFreed said,a crappy Lifetime movie.I was shocked at what the woman said in the teaser,that was embarrassing.As a standalone episode it was alright but it didn't have the Vice feel.The media frenzy over the apologizing is ridiculous.The bit where Trudy pushes the media people and Beaks is a very satisfying scene even if its a bit stupid.The hitman bit was interesting but didn't last long.The most symbolic scene for me is the shooting range where children and family are having a picnic while their hubbys and friends are firing off their pistols and automatic firearms.Pretty much demonstrates the current gun control issues in the US.This will be an episode that I will skip often.I give this a 5/10.

• 3 months later...

I seem to be in the "minority" with my feelings for this episode...but that's okay, that's never stopped me before. ;)I really enjoy this one. It's bizarre, suspenseful, it has Hitchcock like plot twists (especially the end), and I thought the woman playing Ellen Mason did a terrific job! :clap: I will admit that the Vice squad dealing with a rape case is somewhat unrealistic...but did we ever really know why Trudy was originally dealing with Ellen and Beaks? Maybe Beaks was into drugs or prostitutes and they were already watching him. Come to find out he's also a rapist who rapes Ellen and somehow Trudy gets to know and care for her...or maybe Ellen is a friend of Trudy's and Trudy wants to be involved with the case to help Ellen--Vice members had been loaned out to other departments in other episodes.The colors and fashion in this one were awesome!! :clap: The pastels...with the pinks in Ellen's house, teal and pink on the buildings and outside railings, to Crockett's teal jacket and pink shirt were all-out "MV" for sure! :glossy:I will say, however, that early on Olivia Brown did seem to overact somewhat in a few scenes. One example of this is when she's talking with Castillo in his office and she says with way too much force and drama: "He's coming after her again...I can feel it!!". :rolleyes: But, I did like another of her responses to Castillo: "Great, and Hitler loved dogs and kids too." :wink: I don't think that Beaks was rehabilitated...he was still a low-life, as Crockett described him. But, I don't think he was this scheming, psychopath that Ellen made him out to be...he wasn't intelligent enough for that. But, you still feel for Ellen and what she went through. She was right, all of those facets she mentioned "raped" her in some form or manner...whether literally or figuratively. ;( The ending was wild and unexpected, and I like things like that...very "Hitchcockian". ;) I've always wondered who the "phone psycho" was :eek: ...it wasn't Beaks, like we thought it was. This one was purposely started out to make you think it was going to be predictable...then they pull the rug out from under you and shock you with plot twists you never saw coming. I guess it was just some whacked-out fan of the whole trial and case, that was obsessed with blaming Ellen for what happened to Beaks. The shootout was awesome too. Not the best episode of Season 4...but still an interesting and enjoyable one. I like it and I gave it an 8! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 2 years later...

The subject matter is thought provoking in the debate as to whether sexual criminals can be rehabilitated or not.  The plot turns were well done as it kept the story engaging in how a rape victim does everything she can to protect herself legally, but then has to resort to criminal actions herself to have a sense of security.  The ending of the episode seems to also foreshadow some of the burnout and disillusionment of the legal system they work for.

The thing that made it take a few steps back for me, were the melodramatic moments in how Ellen could "feel Beaks being nearby" and how Trudy was overdramatic and out of character in being so emotional over this case.  If the writing could have at least expanded on why this particular case meant so much to Trudy, it could have given a lot more weight to her heated emotions since this is a cop who's seen many crimes before.  Plus as others have said before, it would have been more fitting for Gina to be involved with this story than Trudy, or at the very least, have Gina contribute or relate her experience in "Give a Little, Take A Little" to Trudy and Ellen.

I enjoyed the twist at the end in how the caller threatening her wasn't Beaks at all, revealing that all of the preconcieved notions of the characters and the audience in assuming the caller was automatically Beaks, actually wasn't!  Now I'm not saying Beaks had turned into a completely decent guy because going through all that media coverage and even going to Ellen Mason's place of work just for an "apology", already revealed some disturbed ways of thinking.  If he was completely rehabilitated, he would have gotten the message and end the harassment.

I applaud that at least it showed some of the other Vice characters (Stan, Trudy, and Gina) interacting with each other and revealing more about their viewpoints of the job they are working for, rather than heavily focusing on Crockett's viewpoint.

The story itself was good, but it's not the Miami Vice atmosphere we are typically used to.  Or in other words, a good one-shot story, but wouldn't have wanted the series to further explore this issue, or at least not in this execution.

• 10 months later...

This is a hard episode to judge. I do like that they tried to tackle several issues here; the high profile media frenzy sensationalism of big name cases, the point that Beaks got favorable treatment due to coming from a rich family and the racial bias, and the angle of all the cracks in the justice system.

I feel bad for Olivia Brown because Trudy rarely ever gets an episode where she is the main focus. When they finally do give her an episode, it's something that is downgraded due to bad writing. She deserves props, cause she does give it her best here and it's not her fault at all. Missing Hours was bad, and they couldn't just leave this episode alone without adding that silly supernatural thing at the end with the phone call from the dead man. What the hell were they thinking!? It seems that when Gina gets an episode, they try to give her something to work with, while Trudy gets stuck with the WTF material. 

"Bought and Paid For" from season 2, handled a great episode around a rape case, a hell lot better than this did. 

This one gets a 4 our of 10 for me. Would have been a 5 if not for that weird ending with the phone call. That alone, is enough to drop it several points but I'm being generous and only dropping it one. The shoot out between Crockett and Hatch was fun. 

I just noticed, there is no music in this episode apart from the Jan Hammer score. That's something that really bugs me about season 4, you can totally feel the drop in atmosphere without the use of such great songs. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nothing special.

The chick who played Ellen was pretty annoying. I just don't like the plot.

I used to go to shooting ranges with my family so that was kind of cool.

Decent climax.

5/10

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Remington said:

Nothing special.

The chick who played Ellen was pretty annoying. I just don't like the plot.

I used to go to shooting ranges with my family so that was kind of cool.

Decent climax.

5/10

I actually liked this one, lol:

On 6/19/2013 at 0:29 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I seem to be in the "minority" with my feelings for this episode...but that's okay, that's never stopped me before. :wink:  Really enjoy this one. It's bizarre, suspenseful, it has Hitchcock like plot twists (especially the end), and I thought the woman playing Ellen Mason did a terrific job! :clap: I will admit that the Vice squad dealing with a rape case is somewhat unrealistic...but did we ever really know why Trudy was originally dealing with Ellen and Beaks? Maybe Beaks was into drugs or prostitutes and they were already watching him. Come to find out he's also a rapist who rapes Ellen and somehow Trudy gets to know and care for her...or maybe Ellen is a friend of Trudy's and Trudy wants to be involved with the case to help Ellen--Vice members had been loaned out to other departments in other episodes.The colors and fashion in this one were awesome!! :clap: The pastels...with the pinks in Ellen's house, teal and pink on the buildings and outside railings, to Crockett's teal jacket and pink shirt were all-out "MV" for sure! :glossy:I will say, however, that early on Olivia Brown did seem to overact somewhat in a few scenes. One example of this is when she's talking with Castillo in his office and she says with way too much force and drama: "He's coming after her again...I can feel it!!". :rolleyes: But, I did like another of her responses to Castillo: "Great, and Hitler loved dogs and kids too." :wink: I don't think that Beaks was rehabilitated...he was still a low-life, as Crockett described him. But, I don't think he was this scheming, psychopath that Ellen made him out to be...he wasn't intelligent enough for that. But, you still feel for Ellen and what she went through. She was right, all of those facets she mentioned "raped" her in some form or manner...whether literally or figuratively. ;( The ending was wild and unexpected, and I like things like that...very "Hitchcockian". ;) I've always wondered who the "phone psycho" was :eek: ...it wasn't Beaks, like we thought it was. This one was purposely started out to make you think it was going to be predictable...then they pull the rug out from under you and shock you with plot twists you never saw coming. I guess it was just some whacked-out fan of the whole trial and case, that was obsessed with blaming Ellen for what happened to Beaks. The shootout was awesome too. Not the best episode of Season 4...but still an interesting and enjoyable one. I like it and I gave it an 8! :thumbsup: