#99 - Fruit of the Poison Tree

Matt5

On 07/02/2018 at 2:49 PM, A.J. said:

Hey guys, it's A.J. here. Today is the day. I knew this day would come and that it would make you very happy.

I'm pleased to report that I found the VHS tape of the home video that I recorded during the filming of part of this episode at my house on Dec. 14, 1988. I digitized the tape for you guys and proudly present it to you here.

Keep in mind, I was 13 at the time. I think I operated the video camera for the first part, and then I must have handed the camera to someone else during the filming of the final shot of C+T driving up to the house. I'm the one in the dark grey sweatshirt with a SLR camera trying to take still photos of Don Johnson & Philip Michael Thomas in their car.

At the time, everyone in my family was mainly interested in and concerned with "The Explosion". That is what we had all of our attention on. In retrospect, I wish I had recorded more of Nicky and Gina, but I didn't know who they were. All we cared about were C+T, and things blowing up.

They did let me record from across the street during the rehearsal of C+T driving up to Gina. Notice that none of the house was on fire for the rehearsal. I had to move out of camera range when they were really filming, and I believe the final shot we captured in the video from the side is the one that made it into the episode.

This video contains the shot of the explosion that I showed in my living room to the people on the crew. Perhaps video assist hadn't been invented yet. I should have zoomed out, but I didn't realize how big the explosion would be.

Will you all examine this recording like it's the Zapruder Film? My guess is that for a few of you, yes you will. Enjoy!

Miami Vice home video - S5E9 "Fruit of the Poison Tree" (14Dec1988)

This is fantastic thankyou so much

On 2/7/2018 at 5:49 PM, A.J. said:

Hey guys, it's A.J. here. Today is the day. I knew this day would come and that it would make you very happy.

I'm pleased to report that I found the VHS tape of the home video that I recorded during the filming of part of this episode at my house on Dec. 14, 1988. I digitized the tape for you guys and proudly present it to you here.

Miami Vice home video - S5E9 "Fruit of the Poison Tree" (14Dec1988)

OK, I finally had a chance to watch this.  Awesome!

I love the Miami Vice jackets some crew members were wearing.  Also, that kid with the fabulous mullet around the 9:00 mark. 

• Like 1

I thought it was all pretty cool. The Testarossa, crew working outside the house, some people taking pictures with PMT. And I especially love the rehearsing scenes with DJ, PMT and Saundra screaming for the boy killed by the explosion. I always imagine them doing several takes to get a scene right, but it seems it was a quick shooting. Although they only had a few lines for that scene, I think. 

Edited by summer84

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed this fine episode - the teaser is a good one mainly filmed at Government Centre. The train shots are different to what we see in “A Bullet for Crockett”. 

There is one shot,the first shot, with a reflection of Barnett Bank on the train in one shot so this was filmed at or near Brickell Station. The second shot I can’t make sense of -  you see Dade County Courthouse at a distance but not from Government Centre.

5F2DB3BE-26B4-45C0-8960-44952C0458B4.jpeg

48E27D40-887D-4B07-BDC2-17031D1367C9.jpeg

On 3/26/2019 at 5:48 AM, Matt5 said:

There is one shot,the first shot, with a reflection of Barnett Bank on the train in one shot so this was filmed at or near Brickell Station. The second shot I can’t make sense of -  you see Dade County Courthouse at a distance but not from Government Centre.

5F2DB3BE-26B4-45C0-8960-44952C0458B4.jpeg

48E27D40-887D-4B07-BDC2-17031D1367C9.jpeg

CGlide explains the first shot:  This is Barnett Bank on Flagler, not Brickell.  http://www.miamivicelocations5.org/page18.html

The second one I explained here:  https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/9253-99-fruit-of-the-poison-tree/&do=findComment&comment=194157   It is extremely confusing because the film was flipped AND played backwards.  We seem to be looking southward and seeing a train arrive, but they actually filmed this clip looking northward as a train departed.

When I first studied this years ago I thought that was the courthouse, too.  Then I realized it's actually Freedom Tower!  I've re-reversed the image and circled Freedom Tower:

fruit1.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2019 at 5:06 AM, airtommy said:

CGlide explains the first shot:  This is Barnett Bank on Flagler, not Brickell.  http://www.miamivicelocations5.org/page18.html

The second one I explained here:  https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/9253-99-fruit-of-the-poison-tree/&do=findComment&comment=194157   It is extremely confusing because the film was flipped AND played backwards.  We seem to be looking southward and seeing a train arrive, but they actually filmed this clip looking northward as a train departed.

When I first studied this years ago I thought that was the courthouse, too.  Then I realized it's actually Freedom Tower!  I've re-reversed the image and circled Freedom Tower:

fruit1.png

Great - good to see an alternative angle from Government Centre here.

5 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Great - good to see an alternative angle from Government Centre here.

To the left of Freedom Tower is the Federal Courthouse (attached to the Dyer building).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if AJ is still here, but his footage of the crew filming the episode is awesome!!!!! I am watching the episode right now. Thank you, thank you, AJ!!! And Matt, your pictures are great!! Love this thread!

23 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

I don't know if AJ is still here, but his footage of the crew filming the episode is awesome!!!!! I am watching the episode right now. Thank you, thank you, AJ!!! And Matt, your pictures are great!! Love this thread!

Thankyou I was pleased to visit this location just north of Aventura a few years ago.

@mjcmmv I agree I really like this episode - good story, locations etc. 

Stephen McHattie as Sam Boyle and Amanda Plummer who starred in this episode did a fine job - this was also the 99th episode of our show.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

As C& T race to Gina in this fine late fall 1988 episode there is some stock footage on the A1A of the Testarossa heading south quickly. This is different to what you see in “Blood and Roses” and other episodes as there is a striking sunset so filmed late in the day. I have got a photo of this location - but I’m pretty sure how the road curves around to the right so sharply and the size of the small road island it’s in the 5000 block looking south.

A3DB99DE-AFD9-4ABB-924E-69B869A91F0F.jpeg

0BFB2D81-8286-4E3D-88A0-1BA7E21256E4.jpeg

BD9247A5-D1A3-4901-BAAC-A9C4C7A2532D.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

(LAST) UNKNOWN LOCATION: ENRIQUEZ HOUSE

Extremely hard to find, as there is no exterior shot (the one used is from 1727 W27 Street, Sunset Island which has NOT the interior shown), but only lots of fast edits during the party with Robert Plant song and a short scene where Gina gets out of the jacuzzi. Both involve close-ups only. 

I guess the best (and only?) chance to find it is the uniquely shaped interior jacuzzi which is NOT in a bathroom, but laid low in the marble floor of villa with an atrium (there seems to be overhead natural light above the jacuzzi and rooms to both sides of the atrium). I attach a few pics with some unique features (uniquely shaped wall lightning, doors, floor pattern) shown in order to countercheck in case some of you stumble across a similarly looking indoor jacuzzi.

P.S. I´ve already checked the houses near AJs home at 20251 NE 25 Ave (AJ confirmed that there was no interior filming at his parents´house, but reported that PMT seemed to know their neighbors) and have searched some realtor pics and google with jacuzzi related keywords already, but no find yet.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 10.55.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 11.01.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 11.04.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 11.01.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 11.09.04.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION: DINNER BOYLE-MATSON

Some office scenes with Boyle and Matson were filmed at the Greenberg Taurig Building 1221 Brickell (clear similarities) but this scene was not. It could be that they filmed that in the same unknown location as Enriquez home. I suspected anyway that Enriquez home is no house, but rather an exclusive penthouse apartment with natural light from above in a bigger building. This screenshot above shows that the dinner scene was shot on a penthouse roof-top that cannot be the Greenberg Taurig as there is not stone inner and outer wall there. And the windows have some similarities style wise with the Enriquez loft.

Good thing is though that we now have a clear clue to go for: that trapezoid white structure behind the window is on a roof and could be visible from above. And, due to the stone wall clue, we can exclude all the highrises near 1221 Brickell as these are glass and concrete/steel buildings without any kind of stone walls. My best guess is: we´ll find that location anywhere between Brickell and the Devon Road boat house or near there.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-27 um 10.26.12.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Tom did you see the thread from a few years back when a guy who lived in the neighborhood during filming posted a home movie of these scenes?

vor 34 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom did you see the thread from a few years back when a guy who lived in the neighborhood during filming posted a home movie of these scenes?

Yes, it’s in this thread just a bit further up. AJ was his name. It was his parent’s house and he was 13 back then.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 5:04 AM, Tom said:

Pretty recent realtor pics interior+exterior from the Gina cover house.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/20251-NE-25th-Ave_Miami_FL_33180_M56290-54527

There is an open house in a few days on Sunday, September 6.  It's not clear if this is actually happening, due to Covid.  People who live nearby should take advantage of this opportunity!

@TylerDurden389    @C Glide

• Like 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb TylerDurden389:

Whoa. I live about 7 miles away from that. Maybe I should schedule a visit, lol.

Be careful: don’t touch any packages there on the front porch! :)

And if they ask you what you would like to see: just say “I’m here for Gina!” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Whoa. I live about 7 miles away from that. Maybe I should schedule a visit, lol.

You should print out some screencaps or save some on your phone.  When I tell people, "This was a Vice spot", people are mildly interested or not interested at all.  When I show them screencaps, their eyes light up.  If you include one with stars like DJ, that helps too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UNKNOWN LOCATIONS: ENRIQUEZ LOFT WITH JACUZZI AND DINNER BOYLE/MADSEN

On this BTS shot from Universal we see a bit more than in the episode how Enriquez´ (bi-level) loft is structured.

Hard to find as we have no exterior shot. I suspect that this is an exclusive apartment or penthouse in a bigger building. The jacuzzi in the marble floor is key.

Given the window pattern we see in both scenes they could share the same filming location.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-25 um 19.35.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-25 um 19.40.53.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2