Historic Art Deco Hotels Used in "MV"

ViceFanMan

Perhaps this topic has already been posted somewhere, but I really couldn't find a thread that covered all of these. But, I know several old art deco hotels were showcased or used in several episodes along the way.The Carlyle Hotel, built in 1939, was shown towards the beginning of the Pilot TV Movie “Brother’s Keeper”. It’s still standing and still in use! :thumbsup: However, I think it’s a little more posh now than then…as it advertises exclusive 1-2 bedroom lodgings.The Senator Hotel, also built in 1939, I think was shown in the episode “Milk Run”. Sadly the owners had it demolished in 1988 to make room for a freakin’ parking lot! :thumbsdown: A preservation group tried to have the old hotel saved, but failed. :cry:The Floridian Hotel, built in 1925, was “partly” shown in the episode “Smuggler’s Blues”. The secret meeting scene towards the beginning with Crockett, Tubbs, Castillo, Trudy, and the DEA was filmed in the old hotel…long abandoned by that time (I think the hotel shut down in the 70’s). In fact to use it for the scene real police and professional fumigators had to be called in to rid the old hotel of squatters and an immense infestation of fleas! :eek: Again, a preservation group tried to save the Floridian but sadly it was demolished in May of 1987 to make room for new businesses. :evil:The Blue Waters Hotel, probably built in the late 1930’s or early 1940’s, was showcased in the episodes “The Maze” and “French Twist”. It can also be seen in the background during a scene where Crockett and Tubbs are walking on a beach in the episode “Definitely Miami”. It too was long abandoned by the time it was used in these episodes. It was officially condemned by the City of Miami in 1983 (but I think had been abandoned for a long time before this)…a year or so before “MV” used it. It was scheduled for demolition in 1986, and like the Floridian it too was finally demolished in May of 1987. The last I knew a high-rise condominium now stands in its place. Here are some pics of these architectural icons:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7906[/ATTACH]A vintage postcard of The Carlyle. It's nowhere near as isolated now.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7907[/ATTACH]The Carlyle today--beautiful night photo! :glossy:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7908[/ATTACH]A vintage postcard of The Senator Hotel[ATTACH=CONFIG]7909[/ATTACH]The Senator in the 1980's...probably not too long before it was torn down.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7910[/ATTACH]A vintage postcard of The Floridian Hotel

Pics continued (as I can only fit like 5 pics in a post):[ATTACH=CONFIG]7911[/ATTACH]The demolition of The Floridian Hotel...May 1987. :cry:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7912[/ATTACH]A vintage postcard of The Blue Waters Hotel (1950's)[ATTACH=CONFIG]7913[/ATTACH]The demolition of The Blue Waters Hotel...May 1987. :cry:I have a question though...was The Beacon Hotel, another historic art deco hotel, used in any episodes...I don't remember? Also, if anyone knows of other old hotels used in the show, I'd love to know which ones! :thumbsup:

post-483-13892965557695_thumb.jpg

post-483-13892965557958_thumb.jpg

post-483-13892965558466_thumb.jpg

Yes, The Beacon Hotel was shown when Crockett and Eddie drive with Corky towards the beginning of the “Brother’s Keeper”. :)

Yes' date=' The Beacon Hotel was shown when Crockett and Eddie drive with Corky towards the beginning of the “Brother’s Keeperâ€. :)[/quote']Awesome...you're right! Thanks! :thumbsup: Like The Carlyle, The Beacon Hotel is also still standing and in use! :D[ATTACH=CONFIG]7914[/ATTACH]A recent pic of The Beacon Hotel

post-483-13892965559788_thumb.jpg

Very good post. Nice pics. It's interesting how the Senator, Floridan and Blue Waters were all torn down during Vice's run. The Senator should still be standing. The other two were asking to be knocked down though.

• Administrators

Some other Art Déco Hotels were used in Vice.

• Anchor Hotel
  • Breakwater Hotel
  • Cardozo
  • Clevelander
  • Cavalier
  • Edison Hotel
  • Essex House
  • Hotel Victor
  • Marlin Hotel
  • Nemo Hotel
  • Park Central Hotel
For more details take a look in our Miami Vice glossary: click me

Excellent post, some photos and postcards I have not seen before. One reason why Vice is more than trend setting entertainment is that it captures on video, the last views of classic structures before they were destroyed. :thumbsup:

Excellent post' date=' some photos and postcards I have not seen before. One reason why Vice is more than trend setting entertainment is that it captures on video, the last views of classic structures before they were destroyed. :thumbsup:[/quote']I agree an excellent post with the postcards - many art deco buildings and hotels were used .:D

Very good post. Nice pics. It's interesting how the Senator' date=' Floridan and Blue Waters were all torn down during Vice's run. The Senator should still be standing. The other two were asking to be knocked down though.[/quote']Thanks! I agree...The Senator should still be here, but yeah I know the other two were already abandoned and falling apart. I just hate to see them go, as I love history and strongly support preserving and restoring it. :cool:
  • Anchor Hotel
  • Breakwater Hotel
  • Cardozo
  • Clevelander
  • Cavalier
  • Edison Hotel
  • Essex House
  • Hotel Victor
  • Marlin Hotel
  • Nemo Hotel
  • Park Central Hotel
For more details take a look in our Miami Vice glossary: click me
Awesome!! :thumbsup: Thanks so much for this list...I'll have to check some of those out! :radar: I can eventually find out but are any or all of these still standing?
I like this cool post:thumbsup:great job finding those pictures:clap::clap::clap:
Thanks! :D
Excellent post' date=' some photos and postcards I have not seen before. One reason why Vice is more than trend setting entertainment is that it captures on video' date=' the last views of classic structures before they were destroyed. :thumbsup:[/quote'']Yeah, I love old postcards...especially from hotels used in TV shows. I actually have several vintage postcards from The Blue Waters Hotel--most from the late 1940's or early 1950's. Strange, I know, but I always display them with the rest of my "MV" memorabilia. :p Each postcard sits on top of one of the DVD sets."MV" was more than just fashion or music trend setting...it also really helped the preservation of a lot of the art deco hotels and buildings in and around Miami Beach. :clap: Even though a couple were torn down while the show was on...this fueled people's interest in that part of Florida's past and the show is responsible for a lot of that area getting saved...and eventually refurbished and restored.I would LOVE to go to Miami Beach and stay a few nights in the Carlyle or the Beacon! :glossy: But, I probably couldn't afford them now...maybe one night. :)

Amazing finding two pictures of the actual destruction of two of the buildings. Nice work.

Thanks! I found both through lots of online research. The destruction of The Blue Waters Hotel was an actual official Miami Herald press photo of the demolition. The destruction of The Floridian Hotel was from a Miami article about some of that area being preserved...while other areas were being torn down for new businesses.You can actually buy the photo of the Blue Waters "end" on ebay for around $30! :) But' date=' I would never pay that much for a black and white photo of something so depressing. :cry: As I stated in my last post above, I actually have several vintage postcards of the Blue Waters Hotel from probably the late 1940's--mid 1950's. I'll stick with those. ;)[b']By the way...just realized that The Carlyle Hotel was also featured in the episode "Theresa"--shown even more than in the Pilot! :thumbsup:

Amazing pictures! Many thanks for sharing them with us :clap: :clap:Like you, I love the old deco buildings & I've taken 100s of pictures when in South Beach & Miami. Below is a painting by Miguel Paredes which is in the Miami Preservation League building - it depicts 2 hotels which have been demolished: the Senator and the New Yorker:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7927[/ATTACH]Here's a couple of other MV deco hotels taken last October:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7928[/ATTACH]Cavalier[ATTACH=CONFIG]7929[/ATTACH]MarlinI'm trying to post my deco pics to photobucket so they'll be accessible to others. It's going to take a while but I'll let you know when it is done :)

post-178-13892965586583_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965587838_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965589205_thumb.jpg

7927[/ATTACH]Here's a couple of other MV deco hotels taken last October:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7928[/ATTACH]Cavalier[ATTACH=CONFIG]7929[/ATTACH]MarlinI'm trying to post my deco pics to photobucket so they'll be accessible to others. It's going to take a while but I'll let you know when it is done :)

Those close-ups are beautiful, look forward to your new pics.

7927[/ATTACH]Here's a couple of other MV deco hotels taken last October:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7928[/ATTACH]Cavalier[ATTACH=CONFIG]7929[/ATTACH]MarlinI'm trying to post my deco pics to photobucket so they'll be accessible to others. It's going to take a while but I'll let you know when it is done :)

Caroline...superb pics!! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: I've looked the Marlin up, and would love to stay there sometime...but don't know how many nights I could afford. :)Does anyone remember which "MV" episodes the Marlin and Cavalier were in? Just wondering for my own bizarre curiosity. :p

Marlin was seen twice in MV. First in Milk Run when Zito doing some surveillance in the Senator hotel. Out the window you can see the Marlin hotel. :) Second in Back in the World used as hotel of Stone’s wife. :)

• Anchor Hotel
  • Breakwater Hotel
  • Cardozo
  • Clevelander
  • Cavalier
  • Edison Hotel
  • Essex House
  • Hotel Victor
  • Marlin Hotel
  • Nemo Hotel
  • Park Central Hotel
Does anyone know the episodes these hotels were shown in?

Thanks, you got the same avatar! :D Anchor Hotel - Little Miss Dangerous Breakwater Hotel - Brother's Keeper, Baby Blues, Amen Send Money Cardozo - Brother's Keeper, Cool Runnin', Theresa Clevelander - Brother's Keeper, Mirror Image Edison Hotel - Baby Blues, Amen Send Money Essex House - The Savage, Jack Of All Trades Hotel Victor - Cool Runnin', Milk Run, Out Where The Buses Don't Run, Junk Love, Little Miss Dangerous, Heroes Of The Revolution Marlin Hotel - Milk Run, Back In The World Nemo Hotel - Red Tape, Miracle Man Park Central Hotel - The Savage, Death and The Lady, Hostille Takeover

Anchor Hotel - Little Miss Dangerous Breakwater Hotel - Brother's Keeper' date=' Baby Blues, Amen Send Money Cardozo - Brother's Keeper, Cool Runnin', Theresa Clevelander - Brother's Keeper, Mirror Image Edison Hotel - Baby Blues, Amen Send Money Essex House - The Savage, Jack Of All Trades Hotel Victor - Cool Runnin', Milk Run, Out Where The Buses Don't Run, Junk Love, Little Miss Dangerous, Heroes Of The Revolution Marlin Hotel - Milk Run, Back In The World Nemo Hotel - Red Tape, Miracle Man Park Central Hotel - The Savage, Death and The Lady, Hostille Takeover[/quote']You've missed out one of my fave South Beach hotels - the Winterhaven from No Exit & Bushido. I stayed there in 2009 and it was like being on the set of MV. I managed to get a good deal on my room but I must have been lucky as it is very pricey these days. I'd love to stay at the Carlyle or the Marlin though they have now both been upgraded to suites so the price is out of my range. At least the buildings are being cared for which is a good thing :D

Thanks' date=' you got the same avatar! :D Anchor Hotel - Little Miss Dangerous Breakwater Hotel - Brother's Keeper, Baby Blues, Amen Send Money Cardozo - Brother's Keeper, Cool Runnin', Theresa Clevelander - Brother's Keeper, Mirror Image Edison Hotel - Baby Blues, Amen Send Money Essex House - The Savage, Jack Of All Trades Hotel Victor - Cool Runnin', Milk Run, Out Where The Buses Don't Run, Junk Love, Little Miss Dangerous, Heroes Of The Revolution Marlin Hotel - Milk Run, Back In The World Nemo Hotel - Red Tape, Miracle Man Park Central Hotel - The Savage, Death and The Lady, Hostille Takeover[/quote']Awesome...thanks so much, Crockettt!! :D I greatly appreciate this info! :thumbsup:
You've missed out one of my fave South Beach hotels - the Winterhaven from No Exit & Bushido. I stayed there in 2009 and it was like being on the set of MV. I managed to get a good deal on my room but I must have been lucky as it is very pricey these days. I'd love to stay at the Carlyle or the Marlin though they have now both been upgraded to suites so the price is out of my range. At least the buildings are being cared for which is a good thing :D
I looked up the Winterhaven. :cool: Yeah' date=' a lot of these old art decos have been restored and are still in business...however, many are now so posh that I can't afford to stay there! :) But, I would still have it that way than have them abandoned and/or destroyed like the Blue Waters, Floridian, and the Senator. :cry: The Winterhaven was also built in 1939...like [b']many of the others. That must have been the year that part of Miami Beach really got "going"!However, I have another question if someone knows the answer. Was there more than one Breakwater Hotel in Miami Beach? I found a pic of an old postcard:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7933[/ATTACH]Vintage Postcard of Breakwater Hotel in Miami Beach--dated 1957.Now, the Breakwater I'm thinking of and used to seeing was built in 1939 and looks like this:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7934[/ATTACH]Recent pic of the Breakwater Hotel.Now...those two hotels do not look like the same building! The only thing that looks similar is the "tower" like Breakwater sign sticking up in the front. Other than that, the old postcard looks like a much bigger building. What's up with this? Also, when in "Baby Blues" is the Breakwater shown?

post-483-13892965591575_thumb.jpg

post-483-13892965591879_thumb.jpg

many of the others. That must have been the year that part of Miami Beach really got "going"!However, I have another question if someone knows the answer. Was there more than one Breakwater Hotel in Miami Beach? I found a pic of an old postcard:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7933[/ATTACH]Vintage Postcard of Breakwater Hotel in Miami Beach--dated 1957.Now, the Breakwater I'm thinking of and used to seeing was built in 1939 and looks like this:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7934[/ATTACH]Recent pic of the Breakwater Hotel.Now...those two hotels do not look like the same building! The only thing that looks similar is the "tower" like Breakwater sign sticking up in the front. Other than that, the old postcard looks like a much bigger building. What's up with this? Also, when in "Baby Blues" is the Breakwater shown?

The Breakwater was being refurbished when I visited in 2007 & the Breakwater sign has been changed to the current one since then. The Ocean Drive hotels go quite a way back to Ocean Court (which is the service-type road running parallel to Ocean & Collins) - if you look at an aerial view, the Carlyle takes up quite a bit of land too. This is the Breakwater:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7935[/ATTACH]Another Ocean Drive art deco hotel currently under restoration is the Leslie. There are a few on Collins which look like they might be changing into all suites places - though as we've said, it's better that than a pile of crumbling bricks. When I was last there in October, the Henrosa on Collins was still in mid-repair & it looks as though the restoration company had gone out of business

post-178-1389296559268_thumb.jpg

7935[/ATTACH]Another Ocean Drive art deco hotel currently under restoration is the Leslie. There are a few on Collins which look like they might be changing into all suites places - though as we've said, it's better that than a pile of crumbling bricks. When I was last there in October, the Henrosa on Collins was still in mid-repair & it looks as though the restoration company had gone out of business

Yes I was there last month at The Breakwater - the Breakwater had been renovated and restored with the sign changed slightly. The Henrosa is a rat infested - roach infested building and has had no work done in a few years - the building company went bust . There was no work going on at The Leslie either all boarded up .:D

Deco hotelsI've uploaded some of my many Miami photos onto Flickr. They're in two sets - South Beach and other vice areas. They've been taken over the past 6 years so you can see the Carlyle before it had the dreaded sun umbrellas put outside obscuring the place! The link is below & I hope you enjoy them:http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzyuk111/

I've uploaded some of my many Miami photos onto Flickr. They're in two sets - South Beach and other vice areas. They've been taken over the past 6 years so you can see the Carlyle before it had the dreaded sun umbrellas put outside obscuring the place! The link is below & I hope you enjoy them:http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzyuk111/

Very nice collection Sue, thanks.