Historic Art Deco Hotels Used in "MV"

ViceFanMan

nice thread . hope not being OT but there was another famous Miami place that i always wanted to know what happened to it it was that building (don't know the name) . i searched for it with Google street view and i couldn't find itEingefügtes Bildart deco is typical of Miami , but there's another cool thing in Miami it's Wynwood streetart

nice thread . hope not being OT but there was another famous Miami place that i always wanted to know what happened to it it was that building (don't know the name) . i searched for it with Google street view and i couldn't find itEingefügtes Bildart deco is typical of Miami ' date=' but there's another cool thing in Miami it's Wynwood streetart[/quote']Aah marvellous the brillant Fontainbleau Hilton Mural demolished Im afraid :thumbsdown::cry:

I've uploaded some of my many Miami photos onto Flickr. They're in two sets - South Beach and other vice areas. They've been taken over the past 6 years so you can see the Carlyle before it had the dreaded sun umbrellas put outside obscuring the place! The link is below & I hope you enjoy them:http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzyuk111/

Nice collection thank you .:thumbsup::D

Aah marvellous the brillant Fontainbleau Hilton Mural demolished Im afraid :thumbsdown::cry:

that's what i thought when i saw ugly huge buildings with GSV in the area where it should be located . that building was iconic of the 80's era . i didn't know it was an Hilton hotel

7935[/ATTACH]Another Ocean Drive art deco hotel currently under restoration is the Leslie. There are a few on Collins which look like they might be changing into all suites places - though as we've said, it's better that than a pile of crumbling bricks. When I was last there in October, the Henrosa on Collins was still in mid-repair & it looks as though the restoration company had gone out of business

Thanks Caroline for the info! I think the Breakwater has been refurbished...but it still looks nothing like that old postcard of the Breakwater I found. That hotel was several stories high, had some kind of solarium or something, and looked humongous! The Breakwater we think of is only 3 or 4 stories high, and even with being remodeled some looks nothing like nor takes up anywhere near the room the postcard hotel did. Maybe over the years parts were sold off and torn down for other businesses...thus making the hotel much smaller and what it is today. However, that still doesn't account for the missing stories. Also, the old postcard Breakwater advertised itself as being directly on the ocean (which is shown on the postcard), but the current Breakwater I don't believe is on the ocean. Don't know...kind of a mystery?? :confused:Cool about the Leslie getting fixed up, but too bad about the Henrosa. :cry: Maybe it'll eventually get remodeled by someone. :cool:

Aah marvellous the brillant Fontainbleau Hilton Mural demolished Im afraid :thumbsdown::cry:

Now...you mean the mural got demolished right? As far as I know the Fontainbleau Hotel in Miami is still going...

nothing like that old" data-date=" had some kind of solarium or something, and looked humongous! The Breakwater we think of is only 3 or 4 stories high, and even with being remodeled some looks nothing like nor takes up anywhere near the room the postcard hotel did. Maybe over the years parts were sold off and torn down for other businesses...thus making the hotel much smaller and what it is today. However, that still doesn">

directly on the ocean (which is shown on the postcard), but the current Breakwater I don't believe is on the ocean. Don't know...kind of a mystery?? :confused:Cool about the Leslie getting fixed up, but too bad about the Henrosa. :cry: Maybe it'll eventually get remodeled by someone. :cool:U]

The Breakwater hasn't moved location - the building there is the original. I think most of the Ocean Drive hotels would class themselves as being directly on the ocean even though Lummus park is between the sand and the hotel ;) On the postcard - the artist's impression - you see a wide path (Ocean Drive!) and little blocks of greenery (Lummus Park)I've found the following old pics on the internet which show it as it used to be:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7941[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7940[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7942[/ATTACH]I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to the 1930s to see South Beach at its height then stop off in the 80s to come face to face with the Vice film crew :)

post-178-1389296559477_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965595133_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965595486_thumb.jpg

7941[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7940[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7942[/ATTACH]I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to the 1930s to see South Beach at its height then stop off in the 80s to come face to face with the Vice film crew :)

Me too...I've always loved history and would love to go back to when South Beach was really getting started! :glossy: And' date=' of course I would love to go back to the 80's to see "MV" being filmed. ;)As for the Breakwater...the postcard and all the other pics/buildings look absolutely nothing alike in any way. [u']But, now I think I might know why! I found a picture of that same old postcard on flickr.com. A description talked about the guy who designed the postcard and it pretty much stated (humorously) that fictitious floors had been added, the real design changed somewhat, and of course all those old postcards made it look like the hotels were nice and secluded...when most in fact had other buildings and hotels next door. That's pretty crazy that someone would design a "false" postcard, LOL! :) I loved the pics of it you provided...those are cool :cool: , and show the hotel as it really was (which hasn't changed that much, even with refurbishing). That's true, that most of those hotels would consider themselves on the ocean...and most literally were when they were first built. I would love to go back to the 30's or 40's and stay in them then! :D

Out of all these replies, yall forgot that, in I think 2 EPs, the Waldorf Towers was featured too. We stayed there in 2001 for Thanksgiving.One EP was the guys were heading in the WT due to a crime or killing. maybe Baby Blues?The other was when Castillo called and had someone do a background check on an agency while the lady sat at her desk.

Out of all these replies' date=' yall forgot that, in I think 2 EPs, the Waldorf Towers was featured too. We stayed there in 2001 for Thanksgiving.One EP was the guys were heading in the WT due to a crime or killing. maybe Baby Blues?The other was when Castillo called and had someone do a background check on an agency while the lady sat at her desk.[/quote']
Awesome, freaky! :clap: I think I do remember the Waldorf in an episode or two...but I don't remember which ones either? Does anyone know or remember exactly which episodes the Waldorf Towers was seen in? Awesome pics of the 80's and today! :thumbsup:

Great photos. The Waldorf is seen in a number of drive-bys, of course. The one I remember is in Amen . . . Send Money when Stan is following Bill Bob. You see more if it in Baby Blues. It doesn't look nearly as bad as it does in that old black and white photo.

Great photos. The Waldorf is seen in a number of drive-bys' date=' of course. The one I remember is in Amen . . . Send Money when Stan is following Bill Bob. You see more if it in Baby Blues. It doesn't look nearly as bad as it does in that old black and white photo.[/quote']I agree , Jim , but that old photo has character :D

The Carlyle Hotel, built in 1939, was shown towards the beginning of the Pilot TV Movie “Brother’s Keeperâ€. It’s still standing and still in use! :thumbsup: However, I think it’s a little more posh now than then…as it advertises exclusive 1-2 bedroom lodgings.The Senator Hotel, also built in 1939, I think was shown in the episode “Milk Runâ€. Sadly the owners had it demolished in 1988 to make room for a freakin’ parking lot! :thumbsdown: A preservation group tried to have the old hotel saved, but failed. :cry:The Floridian Hotel, built in 1925, was “partly†shown in the episode “Smuggler’s Bluesâ€. The secret meeting scene towards the beginning with Crockett, Tubbs, Castillo, Trudy, and the DEA was filmed in the old hotel…long abandoned by that time (I think the hotel shut down in the 70’s). In fact to use it for the scene real police and professional fumigators had to be called in to rid the old hotel of squatters and an immense infestation of fleas! :eek: Again, a preservation group tried to save the Floridian but sadly it was demolished in May of 1987 to make room for new businesses. :evil:The Blue Waters Hotel, probably built in the late 1930’s or early 1940’s, was showcased in the episodes “The Maze†and “French Twistâ€. It can also be seen in the background during a scene where Crockett and Tubbs are walking on a beach in the episode “Definitely Miamiâ€. It too was long abandoned by the time it was used in these episodes. It was officially condemned by the City of Miami in 1983 (but I think had been abandoned for a long time before this)…a year or so before “MV†used it. It was scheduled for demolition in 1986, and like the Floridian it too was finally demolished in May of 1987. The last I knew a high-rise condominium now stands in its place. Here are some pics of these architectural icons:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7906[/ATTACH]A vintage postcard of The Carlyle. It's nowhere near as isolated now.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7907[/ATTACH]The Carlyle today--beautiful night photo! :glossy:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7908[/ATTACH]A vintage postcard of The Senator Hotel[ATTACH=CONFIG]7909[/ATTACH]The Senator in the 1980's...probably not too long before it was torn down.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7910[/ATTACH]A vintage postcard of The Floridian Hotel

These postcards are a treasure and VERY COOL. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:A couple months back I found a site that was selling vintage postcards and Miami Beach was featured prominently in some of the cards. Think I will go back and see what they have available .

so that Murial from a death and a lady is gone then?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SnIhtkqLSI

at 0:38 what a waste, they used that same road though for a few of the chase scenes, Dutch Oven, that one and a Bullet for Crockett I think. well atleast time has been kind to the Waldorf Tower, that place I remember sonny playing some sort of card game with the older folks at.
Yeah, there are several art deco hotels from "MV" that are in much better condition now...but the prices have followed such as well. ;)I do remember the scene where Crockett is playing cards with the old guy who's cheating...he then gets called to a phone call inside the old hotel. But, I can't remember which episode this was? Was that hotel the Waldorf Towers?

nice thread . hope not being OT but there was another famous Miami place that i always wanted to know what happened to it it was that building (don't know the name) . i searched for it with Google street view and i couldn't find itEingefügtes Bildart deco is typical of Miami ' date=' but there's another cool thing in Miami it's Wynwood streetart[/quote']so that Murial from a death and a lady is gone then?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SnIhtkqLSI

at 0:38 what a waste, they used that same road though for a few of the chase scenes, Dutch Oven, that one and a Bullet for Crockett I think. well atleast time has been kind to the Waldorf Tower, that place I remember sonny playing some sort of card game with the older folks at.

These postcards are a treasure and VERY COOL. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:A couple months back I found a site that was selling vintage postcards and Miami Beach was featured prominently in some of the cards. Think I will go back and see what they have available .

Thanks! :thumbsup: Cardcow.com is a site that sells antique or vintage postcards. I just found and purchased vintage postcards for The Carlyle and The Senator Hotels...to add to the vintage ones I already have for the Blue Waters Hotel. I can't wait to get them! :D Here are pics of the ones I just purchased:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7945[/ATTACH]The Carlyle Hotel--Not dated and was never used.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7946[/ATTACH]The Nash Senator Hotel--Was used and dated/sent April 26, 1951.As for Kavinsky's post above...I do remember the scene where Crockett was playing cards with the old guy, who was cheating. Crockett gets mad but then is called in to the hotel for a phone call. Was this the Waldorf Towers...and what episode was that scene from, I don't remember at the moment?(P.S. I actually got this post to appear in the correct place! I tried several times before but it kept appearing above Kavinsky's post, and/or other "wrong" places...don't know what was up with that?)

post-483-13892965596396_thumb.jpg

post-483-13892965596761_thumb.jpg

Thanks...this has been a fun thread to create and research for!?

I agree, ViceFanMan. It combines two of my biggest loves: MV and architecture (especially Deco). As well as being into photography, I also enjoy drawing & I love the simple lines of Deco buildings. I'm quite a Deco-geek hence why I recognise certain windows, doors etc :) :)I thought the place where Crockett is playing cards is at the Park Central? As for the Fontaineblu mural - I wondered where the heck it had gone when I returned to Miami Beach after 15 years ... it was so awesome to see when you were driving towards it

Oops, I got it wrong! I'm sure someone on here posted pics taken on a trip & they were of the Park Central. It must have been another ep when Sonny was outside on the patio/front porch.I love the pics you attached, though what a pity all the places along Ocean now have those huge awful parasols outside so you can't see anything of the front "porches" unless you get up at the crack of dawn to get pics!

Oops' date=' I got it wrong! I'm sure someone on here posted pics taken on a trip & they were of the Park Central. It must have been another ep when Sonny was outside on the patio/front porch.I love the pics you attached, though what a pity all the places along Ocean now have those huge awful parasols outside so you can't see anything of the front "porches" unless you get up at the crack of dawn to get pics![/quote']Nice pics :D