Historic Art Deco Hotels Used in "MV"

ViceFanMan

I think the Breakwater has been refurbished...but it still looks nothing like that old postcard of the Breakwater I found. That hotel was several stories high, had some kind of solarium or something, and looked humongous! The Breakwater we think of is only 3 or 4 stories high, and even with being remodeled some looks nothing like nor takes up anywhere near the room the postcard hotel did. Maybe over the years parts were sold off and torn down for other businesses...thus making the hotel much smaller and what it is today. However, that still doesn't account for the missing stories. Also, the old postcard Breakwater advertised itself as being directly on the ocean (which is shown on the postcard), but the current Breakwater I don't believe is on the ocean.

ViceFanMan is gone and this is an old discussion, but I'm just going to chime in with my two cents:  I think ViceFanMan is conflating The Breakwater and The Blue Waters.

what a pity all the places along Ocean now have those huge awful parasols outside so you can't see anything of the front "porches" unless you get up at the crack of dawn to get pics!

I'm curious, does anyone know what time in the morning the umbrellas are normally raised? In my next visit I want to tour Ocean Drive and ideally see it without the umbrellas. I've heard the early morning light in South Beach is gorgeous and photographers love it. On the other hand ... getting up early?  Booooo!!!   :thumbsdown:  :thumbsdown:  :thumbsdown: 

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2015 at 11:15 PM, airtommy said:

ViceFanMan is gone and this is an old discussion, but I'm just going to chime in with my two cents:  I think ViceFanMan is conflating The Breakwater and The Blue Waters.

On 7/13/2015 at 11:15 PM, airtommy said:

I'm not gone...just haven't visited for a while! ;)  I'm not "conflating" or confusing The Blue Waters and The Breakwater. The Breakwater I think was changed a lot and looks nothing like it originally did. The Blue Waters was what I stated and was torn down when I stated. What was I conflating? Just curious.

Edited by ViceFanMan

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I'm not "conflating" or confusing The Blue Waters and The Breakwater. The Breakwater I think was changed a lot and looks nothing like it originally did. The Blue Waters was what I stated and was torn down when I stated. What was I conflating? Just curious.

The Breakwater hasn't changed, so I was suggesting a reason you might have thought that it did change.

Actually the Breakwater has changed a lot...as the original does not look hardly anything like what is there now. In fact I'm almost wondering if the original hotel was torn down (perhaps it was destroyed in a fire or natural disaster at some point?) and then rebuilt. The one there now may have been there by the time MV used it in some of the episodes--so the "current" one may be what's in the show. Here are two different pics of The Breakwater Hotel...one is a vintage postcard from the late 1940's, while the other is a current one of the hotel today (P.S. For some reason the pics are showing up twice in my post after I post it...what's up with that?):

57fdc588b7ded_BreakwaterHotel.jpg.02c3c5

57fdc58ed8c60_BreakwaterHotelII.thumb.jp

Breakwater Hotel.jpg

Breakwater Hotel II.jpg

Edited by ViceFanMan

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

(P.S. For some reason the pics are showing up twice in my post after I post it...what's up with that?):

It's a quirk with the site. Each time you edit a post with pics, it posts another copy of them. :birdie:

7 hours ago, Dadrian said:

It's a quirk with the site. Each time you edit a post with pics, it posts another copy of them. :birdie:

Nice! :wuerg:  It's been a while since I was on the site, so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Maybe it was a lot easier to get away with stuff like this back then. My Blue Waters Hotel brochure has some kind of misleading info, too. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, airtommy said:

The Breakwater never looked like that.  And it was never that close to the ocean, either.  I have no idea what compelled somebody to draw such a misleading picture.  Here is a photo from 1939:

http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/77098087

Huh...I don't know? I love the '39 pic you posted of The Breakwater...that's cool! :thumbsup: I love old stuff like that. :D Anyway, I'm not sure what was the deal with the old postcard I found? Maybe that was the original idea or plans for The Breakwater, but it never came to be like that? But, why would you create actual postcards of a hotel that wasn't built yet?? Weird!! ?(

9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Maybe it was a lot easier to get away with stuff like this back then. My Blue Waters Hotel brochure has some kind of misleading info, too. 

I have several old Blue Waters postcards and info...what was misleading? Just curious. :cool: I'm weird, I know :p but for some reason I've always been fascinated with that old hotel since MV...I love finding out info about it.

7 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I have several old Blue Waters postcards and info...what was misleading? 

Mainly the fact that the map makes it look like it's one minute from everything :) 

Also, please don't ever feel "weird" amongst a community of ppl fixated on a 30 year old TV show and the elements thereof. :p

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Also, please don't ever feel "weird" amongst a community of ppl fixated on a 30 year old TV show and the elements thereof. :p

^^^ THIS  :D

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Mainly the fact that the map makes it look like it's one minute from everything :) 

LOL...yeah, I guess maybe the brochures tried to make everything look  "perfect". ;)  I have several old postcards of the Blue Waters (40s-late 50's) and this was before the area around the Blue Waters was developed. It looked pretty cool having the ocean right there & not a bunch of other crap around it. One thing I noticed is that  originally I don't think the hotel had a pool--as the outside dining/eating area and some parking were where the pool later was-(as seen abandoned and decrepit in MV's "The Maze"). I really wish I could have seen what the hotel was like when it was new and in full business! When I get all my MV memorabilia out and display it, I always include my Blue Waters postcards too. :p

PS. Love the brochure...If I find one like that I will definitely snag that up! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1