Jan Hammer- Dark Angel (I Come In Peace)

Crockettt

• 4 years later...

Wow... I first saw Dark Angel when I must've been 8 years old (1990!) and we rented it new on VHS from the local video store. As a kid I got a couple of the scenes from Dark Angel and Predator 2 mixed up because of their sci-fi similarities but it always stuck with me. It wasn't until probably my early twenties that I got to hunt down this Dolph Lundgren film with the awesome soundtrack and rediscover it again and I've since watched this movie a dozen times (it's also available in full on Youtube). For some reason I've never noticed it's Jan Hammer doing the music until Google just autocompeted his name after the movie title. It's a shame it's never been released. I came here straight away to find if a topic existed. 

• Administrators

A lot of the music in that film are cues used in Vice played in a different key?Tone?  (Dadrian help!)  I actually saw that movie in the theater and recognized Jan's music immediately.

https://www.amazon.com/Angel-Peace-Blu-ray-Shout-Factory/dp/B00UGRAA84/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1525430963&sr=1-2&keywords=i+come+in+peace+blu+ray&dpID=51tHqKmONOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I personally prefer the title "I Come In Peace" because when the alien says "I come in peace"  Dolph's reply is "You go in pieces"  (Sounds like a corny Arnold line)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a tribute track on Youtube but it sucks to be honest. It's got that cheesy horrible "synthwave" made by teenagers sound that I absolutely loathe. In my opinion you either use real instruments of the day and plugins that replicate authentic sounds or just don't bother. 

This is the real thing but doesn't sound as good as what's used in the movie.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There is a german DVD release of the movie that features an animated main menu that shows action scenes from the film while playing the main theme by Jan Hammer in full length and excellent sound quality (perhaps the original music video?). I guess this is the only officially released version of this great track an the best way for listening to it.

If you are a fan of Jan Hammer and this track, you'll find yourself playing the main menu of the DVD for hours ^^

https://www.amazon.de/Dark-Angel-Betsy-Brantley/dp/B0757LW9NS/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1564329335&sr=8-2

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I remember going to the movies to see this. Not a bad movie but it was the fact that Jan Hammer scored it that got me there I sat there listening to cues that were clearly Vice cues done in a different key?  Is that the correct term Dadrian?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I sat there listening to cues that were clearly Vice cues done in a different key?  Is that the correct term Dadrian?

I watched this movie awhile back to see if there were any Miami Vice drum samples I could lift (sadly there weren’t). 

For some reason I don’t remember any reused MV cues, but that’s not to say you’re wrong! I do remember a lot of the (then) newer Kawai/Korg synth/drum sounds he used, which were the new direction for him at the time (heard in the video above). 

Sounds like I need to watch the movie again. I think I bought the DVD. I’ll have to remember what I did with it. :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 5:48 AM, Ferrariman said:

A lot of the music in that film are cues used in Vice played in a different key?Tone?  (Dadrian help!)  I actually saw that movie in the theater and recognized Jan's music immediately.

https://www.amazon.com/Angel-Peace-Blu-ray-Shout-Factory/dp/B00UGRAA84/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1525430963&sr=1-2&keywords=i+come+in+peace+blu+ray&dpID=51tHqKmONOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I personally prefer the title "I Come In Peace" because when the alien says "I come in peace"  Dolph's reply is "You go in pieces"  (Sounds like a corny Arnold line)

On 2/9/2021 at 9:08 AM, Dadrian said:

I watched this movie awhile back to see if there were any Miami Vice drum samples I could lift (sadly there weren’t). 

For some reason I don’t remember any reused MV cues, but that’s not to say you’re wrong! I do remember a lot of the (then) newer Kawai/Korg synth/drum sounds he used, which were the new direction for him at the time (heard in the video above). 

Sounds like I need to watch the movie again. I think I bought the DVD. I’ll have to remember what I did with it. :) 

I've watched this film several times in recent months and it is on again now. The Jan Hammer Cues/themes are unmistakably Vice-like, imho. I recognized them before looking up the credits on the film to see Hammer's name.  And as F-man said they seem to be very similar to some Vice cues but in a different key. (though I'm not musically inclined, sorry). One of Lundgren's better actioners, imo, and the Hammer music adds depth to the tone of the film.  

• Like 2