Episode #84 "Honor Among Thieves?"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

OK ep. for me. Kinda weird with the guy talking to those dolls. Reminded me of Norman Bates.7 for me.

• Like 1

This ep has to me the most sinister ep opener!Sonny in tux with toothbrush :happy:( sorry just a girl )The way they used the Billy Idol song in this ep song at the fair.A very strong speach from Crocket as a laywer. I sometimes wonder why people do the those things and how they come to it. The majortity of people has a natural break to stop at the border. What does people make to lose their borders and do such things I never understand it.I found the fithing scene with Tubbs with the guy ending up to get fried kind of funny. Strong ending scene with Sonny saying take your pick. a 8 from me.

Another good S4 episode. A change from the norm. It had an original storyline that was executed well. The tone of this episode is interesting and it has a lot of quintessential Vice elements done well.Very good instrumental music that matched the creepy tone of the ep. A great song too in 'Sweet Sixteen' by Billy Idol, one of his best songs. Aerosmith's 'Ragdoll' was good too and worked well in the episode. The doll killer was the kind of guy who'd keep an autographed picture of Norman Bates in his wallet. He was very weird but at least he was better than that doofus from Shadow In The Dark. So it turns out that Waylon Smithers is not the only grown man who collects little girls dolls.Overall, a good and solid episode. 8.5/10This good episode was followed by three sh!tty episodes.

DJ must like to play the part of a lawyer. He does a good job in this episode of presenting what makes Delgado's crime different from all the other criminals in the room. He also does something similar in Nash Bridges, & then there was "Just Legal" I like the way Crockett tells Palmo: "We'll just have to rough it", when he sees the tux's, broads, booze & pink tooth brushes they would have use of. Lots of funny wisecracks by Rico & Sonny. When Delgado jumped off the catwalk, everyone got out of the way except Palmo. He just watched him fall & got crushed. Kind of stupid. In general I like this one & give it 7.5/10. I give it an 8 for this poll.

Well this was a major step-up from the viewing I had six years ago when I wrote the old review. Great episode which like an earlier episode "Duty and Honor" gets creepy and eerie. Comedian John Bowman sadly didn't act much after this one despite his great performance as the disturbing killer Delgado. The cinematography here as well as use of shadows and neon made for a great looking episode and the music especially Billy Idol's "Sweet Sixteen" was particularly killer. I'm definitely bumping it from the old 7 to a 9/10.

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

My favorite things about Miami Vice are the cool lines our heroes use. If I remember correctly, one of the thugs tells Rico : you & me are gonna dance & Tubbs says, "Strike up the band". What happened to Nmathew's book of MV quotes? :confused:

Guest neworder

Creepy subject, but well executed. Some good music/scenery/quotes. Only let down is the big gang meeting at the end with crockett as the lawyer, a little unbelievable in my eyes. Awesome fight sequence with Tubbs though towards the end.8/10

This is a favorite ep of mine. And like someone on here said one of my fav parts is Sonny in the room with Tubbs and the tooth brush a pink one at that. And he carried it around with him. Now if you got into Freud it would say something. But a dentist would say he has good teeth. Seeing him and Tubbs let him win was great, love Sonny mumble to Tubbs about letting him win..lol....I thought the guy that was their contact that was a psycho was great he did some job playing that part. And Sonny doing the lawyer was also good. Repeating the words so that people could feel how it is to be crazy.....I just love this one so much. Sorry I forgot to put the score on here like we use to or I used to. 8/10 Sue

Normally I'm close to the crowd on averages, but this wasn't one of my faves.It must have been good to be C&T living high off the hog for a few days, holed up in that mansion.I was wondering why Crockett was chewing on the toothbrush in one scene, maybe he was giving up smoking? Can't remember, but I think we had the discussion once.I really like Sweet Sixteen by Billy Idol.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll mark a 7 for this story. Even though it has a very eerie feel to it. A disturbing look into the mind of a drug dealer turned murderer, with a dual personality.

• 7 months later...

what a creepy creepy dude! this one had my full attention! but what kinda confused me: no caitlin in this one either... first he falls madly in love and gets married the same day and now she hasnt even been mentioned the last 4 (?) eps? or did I miss something? (I know she's suppose to be touring but not even mention her?) and what did crockett do in that house for a week(?) with all those girls hanging around and being offered as entertainment...Liked him and Tubbs in a tux and enjoyed the toothbrush thing:)didnt like the ending: the guy just stands there and waits for the guy to fall on top of him? but this was one of the best ones of S4 oh and the music was good too !

• 3 months later...

what's with the toothbrush?Yeah, can anyone explain to me what's up with the toothbrush throughout the many scenes at the begining? lolOk so they are in the bathroom brushing teeth, fine that scene goes for a ittle, then theyexit the room, -but they are still having toothbrushes in their mouths...then they are goingdownstairs to meet other players, still brushing.....then they are talking still brushing and waiving toothbrushes around........:birdie:ok......is this episode sponsored by The National Dentist Associacion, or is it a undervocer Collgate comercial......or what is the point of focucing of 3rd of an episode on toothbrushes?ps.-funny how they are walking and brushing with no water and no spiting and then they are done....lol did they swallow it???? lol :D

ok......is this episode sponsored by The National Dentist Associacion' date=' or is it a undervocer Collgate comercial......[/quote']Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My feeling too. Realy enjoyed it until the last 5 minutes. The 'trial' was a farce and the ending was just weird - like they got Missing Hours crew to create the ending. Should have been an 8, but that ending knocks it down to a 6

• 7 months later...
My feeling too. Realy enjoyed it until the last 5 minutes. The 'trial' was a farce and the ending was just weird - like they got Missing Hours crew to create the ending. Should have been an 8' date=' but that ending knocks it down to a 6[/quote']BUG EYES was a creepy pedo killer, with a doll fetish.What more was there to discuss among the criminals? :rolleyes:

One of Vice's creepiest but it still is far from one of my favorites. At least they use the LMD etc house. I seem to remember this episode has a blooper at the end with a sound man walking across the floor in the theater at the end but I watched the ending and can't find it. Maybe I am thinking of the ending of another episode in a large theater. Anyone remember this blooper?

• 6 months later...

This is definitely one of the most bizarre and creepy episodes of the series...and I like stuff like that! ;) This one is definitely a "detour" from the norm with "MV" (as was "Shadow In the Dark") and dives into the world of the psychologically disturbed and schizophrenia. I have degrees in Sociology and Psychology and so I always love the psychological, suspenseful, eerie, bizarre, wild, etc...type of thing, and this episode is superb in those areas! :thumbsup:The opening was downright scary and makes your skin crawl :eek: ...but was captivating and intriguing as well! :glossy: John Bowman did a fantastic job of playing the psycho "doll killer" Delgado! :clap: He truly was so creepy with that doll-voice and then would converse back and forth with that and his own voice...in his mind he was actually conversing with the dolls. This was very reminiscent of Norman Bates from the Hitchcock classic movie Psycho. Dolls are creepy to me anyway (I've seen one too many scary movies ;) ) and that just added to the freaky aspect to this one...it was awesome! The idea that Delgado was making the girls he murdered up to look just like the dolls was also pretty demented and very "Criminal Minds/CSI"-ish. There were a few moments were Delgado was more humorous while talking with the dolls...but most of the time it was pretty twisted. One of the only (if the only) somewhat "goofy" aspects to this episode is Crockett's whole infatuation with the stupid toothbrush. What the heck was up with that? :confused: It didn't really seem to make sense or go along with the plot at all...almost like they wrote the episode, then went back and decided to throw in this idea of Crockett walking around with a toothbrush in his mouth all the time. :rolleyes: However, I did like some of the fashion in this one, and Gina & Trudy were freakin' hot!! :happy: LOL! :) The pastels and clothes of the girls while Delgado was walking around the carnival looking for fresh victims were also really cool and very 80's. :cool:The so-called "trial" was also a little over-the-top. I mean, really? The drug-dealer/mob guys wouldn't mess with all that complication and trouble...they'd just take Delgado out somewhere and kill him, probably disposing of the body where it would be found and would send a "message" to all the drug dealers & buyers--that the killer was taken care of and business could resume as usual. The end where Delgado jumps from the catwalk and lands on Palmo was also somewhat ridiculous...like Palmo wouldn't move? :pThe music used was awesome!! I loved both songs: Sweet Sixteen by Billy Idol and Rag Doll by Aerosmith (the title of that one obviously tying in with the plot of the episode) and they really helped "make" the episode. :radio:Overall this episode was wild, bizarre, but awesome and mesmerizing! :clap::glossy: I truly enjoy it...another of my favorites of Season 4! I gave it a 9. :thumbsup:

Psycho. Dolls are creepy to me anyway (I've seen one too many scary movies ;) ) and that just added to the freaky aspect to this one...it was awesome! The idea that Delgado was making the girls he murdered up to look just like the dolls was also pretty demented and very "Criminal Minds/CSI"-ish. There were a few moments were Delgado was more humorous while talking with the dolls...but most of the time it was pretty twisted. One of the only (if the only) somewhat "goofy" aspects to this episode is Crockett's whole infatuation with the stupid toothbrush. What the heck was up with that? :confused: It didn't really seem to make sense or go along with the plot at all...almost like they wrote the episode, then went back and decided to throw in this idea of Crockett walking around with a toothbrush in his mouth all the time. :rolleyes: However, I did like some of the fashion in this one, and Gina & Trudy were freakin' hot!! :happy: LOL! :) The pastels and clothes of the girls while Delgado was walking around the carnival looking for fresh victims were also really cool and very 80's. :cool:The so-called "trial" was also a little over-the-top. I mean, really? The drug-dealer/mob guys wouldn't mess with all that complication and trouble...they'd just take Delgado out somewhere and kill him, probably disposing of the body where it would be found and would send a "message" to all the drug dealers & buyers--that the killer was taken care of and business could resume as usual. The end where Delgado jumps from the catwalk and lands on Palmo was also somewhat ridiculous...like Palmo wouldn't move? :pThe music used was awesome!! I loved both songs: Sweet Sixteen by Billy Idol and Rag Doll by Aerosmith (the title of that one obviously tying in with the plot of the episode) and they really helped "make" the episode. :radio:Overall this episode was wild, bizarre, but awesome and mesmerizing! :clap::glossy: I truly enjoy it...another of my favorites of Season 4! I gave it a 9. :thumbsup:

I didnt enjoy this episode at all - disturbing .:thumbsdown::shout::D

It's supposed to be disturbing...gets your attention that way. ;) It was freaky, but awesome freaky! Definitely a 9 (only reason I didn't give it a 10 was because of Crockett's goofy toothbrush and the silly scene where Palmo just lets Delgado land on him after he jumps)! :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Normally I'm close to the crowd on averages, but this wasn't one of my faves.It must have been good to be C&T living high off the hog for a few days, holed up in that mansion.I was wondering why Crockett was chewing on the toothbrush in one scene, maybe he was giving up smoking? Can't remember, but I think we had the discussion once.I really like Sweet Sixteen by Billy Idol.

Spoilers...I need to amend my thoughts on this episode, and unfortunately, they're not good. I'll lead off with one real hand grenade: thisepisode for me is on par with the ones we've vilified, and those would be Missing Hours and Cows of October (the latter I didn't mind so much because even though an action-drama, MV would introduce humor and comic relief in a way that didn't send throw the audience for a loop.)For most intents and purposes, our consensus is that Miami Vice started to decline in season 4, but this ep definitely portended decline.- On the good side, this ep recalls a certain story, probably plagiarized a dozen times in military history, of a young lieutenant who has but a single night to prepare for the defense of an accused murderer whose life is at stake. So MV got to try its hand at courtroom drama and pathos. I'm not a big courtroom, courts, or legal fiction aficionado, but this had its good points.- This was a good ep for DJ to demonstrate his acting skill, but the impromptu defense attorney for a man's life was just too much, it was out of character. That's not DJ's fault, but they should've dialed him back a bit, or found another actor (Sonny's friend?) to do the bargaining. Sonny's repetitive line was the height of dramatic cheese. "You don't want to, but you must!" I have never been able to forget that line, and for some reason today, I was just walking around doing my thing and it popped in my head. Ugh!The jumped the shark moment in detail:<I>Sonny: We had a choice as to which side of the law we were gonna stand on, and we chose to break the law.This man, he has no choice.You have no choice, no say, and so you walk toward something horrible, and you can't stop.Oh, you see the horror, and you don't want to go, but you must.You don't want to, but you must.You don't want to, but you must.You don't want to, but you must.You don't want to, but you must! My God.(Chuckles) Gentlemen, that is hell.Can you imagine any of you having to live in that hell? (Murmuring) Very dramatic.See, but outside of the defendant mind is the real world.And in that world, four little girls are dead! You know the verdict we expect.- (High-pitched Voice) They're going to hurt you.- (Normal Voice) Be quiet.(High-pitched Voice) Those nasty men are going to hurt you.You didn't do anything bad.- (Normal Voice) I just wanted to play.- (High-pitched Voice) Well, now they're gonna punish you.(High-pitched Voice) But they'll have to catch us first.Run! Run! (Laughing) (Laughing Continues) Get him down.(High-pitched Voice) Why didn't you run out the door? Why did you go up the stairs? I'm scared up here! (Normal Voice) Don't worry.Don't worry.I can fly.</I>From: springfieldspringfield.co.ukSo the schizo jumps off the ledge, the end. I know there are a lot of weirdos out there, but this guy was so unpalatable, so disgusting as a character - but worse for the viewers, just plain annoying. He was doing ok as the normal guy, but as the doll creep it was just too much. (Devil's advocate: maybe today's court shows portray far more bizzare psychos; this may all be tame by today's standards.)However, if an ep may be memorable for years because of that catchphrase I mentioned, maybe it succeeded! I don't know.