Episode #84 "Honor Among Thieves?"

Ferrariman

Just didn't like this one at all - the content far too dark for my taste . 

Hard to believe Jim Johnstone directed this after such stylized pieces with "Nobody Lives Forever" and "Out where the buses don't run" .

:)

• Like 2

Gotta agree with Jim and Matt on this episode, it was quite creepy and I thought parts of the story should have been rewritten. I compare it to eating bad mexican food and not having any anti-acid near by to kill the burn. :)  :p:sick:

• Like 1

Gotta agree with Jim and Matt on this episode, it was quite creepy and I thought parts of the story should have been rewritten. I compare it to eating bad mexican food and not having any anti-acid near by to kill the burn. :)  :p:sick:

Glad you agree with Jim and I - poorly written and seemed like a desperate story with very dark content. :done:  :D  :fireworks:  :fireworks: 

• 5 months later...

Come on, Matt & Jim.....you must be able to find a couple of scenes that are cool or funny and give you that Miami Vice, "High."

For me, it's Tubbs telling the thug "strike up the band" & the party scenes with C&T wearing sharp clothes. Don does do a great acting job in the trial scene.

I can always find things that make Miami Vice my favorite show, even in the strangest episodes!

• Like 2

I just saw this news item on Yahoo. "Honor Among Thieves" immediately came to mind with the creepy serial killer who had the doll fetish! I hope this link works, it's the first time I'm using it.

https://gma.yahoo.com/investigators-solve-mystery-porcelain-dolls-left-doorsteps-060547778--abc-news-topstories.html

Miami Vice was way ahead of its time!  :thumbsup:

Come on, Matt & Jim.....you must be able to find a couple of scenes that are cool or funny and give you that Miami Vice, "High."For me, it's Tubbs telling the thug "strike up the band" & the party scenes with C&T wearing sharp clothes. Don does do a great acting job in the trial scene.I can always find things that make Miami Vice my favorite show, even in the strangest episodes!

Ha ha - ok Tony I give you Crockett's peach jacket as a highlight - he had never worn a peach jacket that color before . :D  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:  :cake:

Ha ha - ok Tony I give you Crockett's peach jacket as a highlight - he had never worn a peach jacket that color before . :D  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:  :cake:

But Im afraid thats about it for "Honor Among Thieves"  :D  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:  :radio:

I'm going to watch "Honor" tonight, Matt5.........to refresh my memory & maybe enjoy it too!  ;)  :D  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm going to watch "Honor" tonight, Matt5.........to refresh my memory & maybe enjoy it too!  ;)  :D  :thumbsup:

Oh dear Tony - dont do it ha ha !! :D  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:  :cake:

I did it, Matt5.....my wife & I watched "Honor Among Thieves." She is not a fan of Miami Vice but will tolerate an episode once in a while. Having said that, she did like this episode to some extent. She mainly enjoyed seeing Tubbs fry the thug from Georgia, by pushing him into the fuse panel.

I laughed at Crockett telling Palmo...they couldn't stay because they didn't bring a toothbrush. Then Tubbs not liking his pink brush & Sonny offering his from his mouth.

The humorous wisecracks are what makes MV better than the present cop shows.

Crockett did a dramatic defense for Delgado. My wife screamed when he jumped off the catwalk onto Palmo!

Not the best episode, but never-the-less.....not bad!

P.S. The dolls looked just like the ones in the news article about the church lady who left dolls on girl's doorsteps.

Edited by Tony D.
  • Like 1

oh dear - perhaps not the best episode to show Vice's style - if you jump forward a few seasons to "Trust Fund Pirates " or "Out where the buses..." and "Nobody lives Forever" these episodes too were directed by Jim Johnstone ( who directed "Honor among thieves" ) and the difference in style is amazing :D  :fireworks:

Edited by Matt5

My wife is familiar with the style of Miami Vice. I wanted her to see the similarity of the dolls in "Honor Among Thieves" and the dolls that the lady left on little girls' doorsteps.

Life imitates "Vice"!

My wife is familiar with the style of Miami Vice. I wanted her to see the similarity of the dolls in "Honor Among Thieves" and the dolls that the lady left on little girls' doorsteps.Life imitates "Vice"!

Ok Tony makes sense !! :D

• 10 months later...

I enjoyed this episode a lot, the episode displayed the many layers of Crockett's and Tubbs' covers and how they had to navigate through the complex path without revealing their cover.  In addition, it revealed the criminal's underworld form of "justice" in what's considered horrendous, but the trial aspect was a little unusual since you except most "street justice" to be settled with a simple bullet.  Nevertheless, it was interesting to see Crockett attempt to persuade with this league of criminals and the dark imagery used in it.  ...Almost a foreshadowing to the Sonny Burnett arc.

It was also great in that it highlighted the Tubbs and Crockett partnership in their work, that hasn't been highlighted in the previous episodes.

The writing was done well in incorporating the proper times of adding small bits of humor (between Crockett and Tubbs with the toothbrush and Tubbs making fun of Cyrus) in a overall creepy episode.

A well done episode!

Edited by Vice Immersion

• 9 months later...

For me this episode is a good example of what happened to Miami Vice in just a couple years. The fourth season grew dark and weird with episode's like this and Death and the Lady, Rising Sun of Death. I can remember at the time how weird the show was getting .

On 4/6/2016 at 3:59 PM, AzVice said:

For me this episode is a good example of what happened to Miami Vice in just a couple years. The fourth season grew dark and weird with episode's like this and Death and the Lady, Rising Sun of Death. I can remember at the time how weird the show was getting .

"Honor Among Thieves " bothered me as an episode - just too dark with bad content . At least "Death and the Lady" and "Rising Sun of Death " had good content :D

• 1 month later...

One of the best episodes of season 4. This is one in instance where they got creative and it worked out with the long cases and barely any action, that was constantly in season 4 episodes.

I liked the climax that built up to the whole trial between all the criminal underworld there involved with the drug business. It was reminiscent of how the Italian Mafia always handled their own business inside 'this thing of ours' and didn't give in to law enforcement. 

I give this one an 8 out of 10. 

• 1 year later...

This is a good episode.

I like the bizarre nature of it.

Love the little feud between Tubbs and the Georgian guy.

Great scenery.

The toothbrush thing was kinda funny.

Always good to hear Billy Idol.

It's solid up until Delgado is captured. The rest of it I don't really care for.

7/10

• 1 year later...

Fantastic episode, I regret skipping this for so long! It really was a great twist to make Delgado the contact that Crockett and Tubbs were waiting for. I have to admit though, Crockett's "defense" of Delgado was horrible and unconvincing. The acting was great however, maybe DJ could've been the next Matlock? Haha.

• Like 1

Well Crockett's not a lawyer and he didn't have much to work with or a lot of preparation. But I liked the passion he put into the argument. I believed he really wanted to save the guy's life.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Steven Sanders has a good discussion of this episode in his book, comparing it to the movie 'M' and calling it Vice's most distinctive intertextual episodes because of the parallels between it and 'M'. You also have the scene at the end where the two bodies, one dressed in dark colors the other in light, form an X in the middle of the dance floor. Classic Noir.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Late to the party here but I rewatched this episode about an hour ago. This was seriously disturbing and I think Vice overstepped it's boundaries with this episode if you ask me. I know it's had its fair share of dark episodes here and there but this felt a little too edgy for my taste and not a big fan of it. There's also a lack of visual style and everything felt washed and bland as well to me. With that being said, like others said above I can still appreciate and laugh at the wisecracks Crockett makes and Tubbs killing the dude with the electric fuse panel but I really can't recommend this episode to even a friend of mine who's currently in the process of watching the series for the first time after my encouragement. The first time I saw this episode it really freaked me out and kind of scared for me a second, making me question whether I was still watching Miami Vice. All this doll fetish stuff and gruesome killings really did no favors to me or this episode itself so, if I were asked to give this a rating of some sort it'd probably be a 3.5/10. The fashion really sucked here too.

I'll still take this over Missing Hours though.

• Like 2

John Petersen told me his good friend Steve Harrison played the saxophone parts heard in the cues for this episode. Steve Harrison toured with the likes of David Bowie and Duran Duran!

John said he and Steve worked everyday together for 5 years, but I don’t know what years they were (probably on the road with some rock star). Regardless, there’s your exclusive-to-this-forum info for 11/16/19. :p

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Late to the party here but I rewatched this episode about an hour ago. This was seriously disturbing and I think Vice overstepped it's boundaries with this episode if you ask me. I know it's had its fair share of dark episodes here and there but this felt a little too edgy for my taste and not a big fan of it. There's also a lack of visual style and everything felt washed and bland as well to me. With that being said, like others said above I can still appreciate and laugh at the wisecracks Crockett makes and Tubbs killing the dude with the electric fuse panel but I really can't recommend this episode to even a friend of mine who's currently in the process of watching the series for the first time after my encouragement. The first time I saw this episode it really freaked me out and kind of scared for me a second, making me question whether I was still watching Miami Vice. All this doll fetish stuff and gruesome killings really did no favors to me or this episode itself so, if I were asked to give this a rating of some sort it'd probably be a 3.5/10. The fashion really sucked here too.

I'll still take this over Missing Hours though.

Yep, its crap!

• Haha 2