Miami marine stadium needs your help!!

brotherskeeper1970

Hello all miami vice community membersJust wanted to let everyone know about a landmark that made a brief apperance in yankee dollar season 2, is in terrible dissaray and needs your help! the friends of miami marine stadium has come to the rescue ,with much needed support of the community. To keep this truly iconic stadium from the wrecking ball it is now designated a historic landmark. This saturday at 10 am next door to the stadium they are having a meet and greet of the supportersof the stadium there is a fee for non members to enter so come out if you can they will be serving refreshments and having a meeting on the future of the stadium more information is at this linkwww.marinestadium.orgthanks

• 4 years later...

Good news, there is real reason to hope that the stadium will survive. It can be seen in Yankee Dollar and Baseballs of Death. The unique edifice has long been a derelict and is one of the 11 most endangered historic places according to the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The City Commission just voted to give a non-profit group, Friends of the Miami Marine Stadium, control of the property and they are working on a restoration plan. Here is a video from Gloria Estefan, entertainer and influential business woman, that was shown to the City Commission right before their critical vote on the stadium.

I was happy to hear the news that it will be saved. She put out a nice video. Switek will be happy to see the images from Elvis' movie Clambake that was made right after the stadium was built. And who can forget when C+T tried to put the slide on old Charlie Glide there.

Great info Jim ' date=' appreciated.:thumbsup::D[/quote']Thanks guys, it's nice to hear some good news about Miami landmarks for a change. I have written to Gloria asking her to do a video about saving the Little Prince House.

Nice to see heritage building saved. That place has very unique architecture and is a cool place. Glad to hear it is being cleaned up and restored. (I can't understand why individuals need to spray graffiti all over the seats and pillars?)Here where I live they just tore down a heritage building and are building a high rise condo. I can just see it now...pay for parking, limited access to the beach and the Marina will suffer. Its been a happening place and popular hotspot for over a hundred years. Even the band RUSH wrote a song about it called "Lakeside Park" Sadly the future looks bleak.This area is a destination for boaters but now that the most of the restaurants and bars are tore down there is little in the line of commerce for visitors. The one building (restaurant) they tore down was a hundred year old building and very popular hotspot.So much for progress.....................................................

Nice to see heritage building saved. That place has very unique architecture and is a cool place. Glad to hear it is being cleaned up and restored. (I can't understand why individuals need to spray graffiti all over the seats and pillars?)Here where I live they just tore down a heritage building and are building a high rise condo. I can just see it now...pay for parking' date=' limited access to the beach and the Marina will suffer. Its been a happening place and popular hotspot for over a hundred years. Even the band RUSH wrote a song about it called "Lakeside Park" Sadly the future looks bleak.This area is a destination for boaters but now that the most of the restaurants and bars are tore down there is little in the line of commerce for visitors. The one building (restaurant) they tore down was a hundred year old building and very popular hotspot.So much for progress.....................................................[/quote']Sorry to hear that Stringer. We down South tend to forget sometimes that this is a world-wide problem. I think, however, that the problem is more serious in N. America. Europeans seem to have more respect for history. Part of it is that we are newer and seem to still have a frontier mentality, i.e. the environment (natural and man-made) is there for us to exploit. We all need to stop and think about what kind of a world we are leaving for our grandchildren- a world filed with strip malls, parking lots, and ugly high rises or a world filled with interesting structures and open spaces that make them proud of their heritage. The case of South Beach shows that sometimes restoration and preservation can be more profitable than tearing down the old for new buildings.