Episode #83 "Indian Wars"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

Good episode. Decent but not outstanding. A cut above most season 4 episodes. Good story about the Indians and their power struggle. I liked the dialogue between Tubbs and the guy about how they were both strangers in a white man's country. Castillo did a good job working undercover. Very good guest star in Joe Turkel. He's a great actor best known as Lloyd the bartender in The Shining and Tyrell from Blade Runner. He was excellent here. It seems like a Blade Runner reunion with Gaff and Tyrell.Nice scenery in this ep, the Everglades, the condo at the end and Turkel's house which looked like it was on Star Island. The raid on Turkel's estate seemed to be a homage to the climax of Scarface. Turkel's demise was even similar to Tony Montana's. The way he got shot, fell off the balcony and landed in the pool. That was a good sequence.Solid ep and good by S4 standards. 7/10

A 6 from meAltough I think this ep is put wel together technical, colour and style wise. The storytelling is just a bit to slow.I love LT Castillo in a white suit !!!:happy:I think it was good to pay attention to the situation of Indians. I would love to have some of the paintings in Le Becks house. Le Becks glasses are to big to be true!!:eek:And the EP starter is for me one of the strongest of MV.

Guest neworder

Very Decent episode. Great story, locals, music (Hammer/Peterson's score is top class in this one), action etc. Good to see Tubbs actually doing something for a change. Hard to fault to be fair but doesn't have the ultimate Vice sparkle which would deserve it a 9, so get's a well earned 8/10.

This episode has Crockett & Castillo reversing roles! Sonny's wearing very drab clothes but Castillo looks pretty cool in white suit & shades! A big plus for this episode is PMT & EJO have the lead for a change. Tubbs really looked collegiate with the eye glasses, but he didn't fool the chief's son that much. What I don't like about the episode is that it lacks the style & glitz of Miami. I did enjoy the alligator wrestling, though. Some good action with the Indian group attacking the drug dealers, & I liked the guy in the fish tank, but I missed hearing funny & cool remarks from Switek & Crockett. Too bad the kid took a leap off the balcony at the end but it made for a great shot of him on the pavers. All in all I liked this ep & give it a 7/10.

Like you didn't see this one coming ...10 out of 10:done: Action:done: Style:done: MusicMy all-time favorite episode of Miami Vice ... ever.

• 4 weeks later...

I would put this in the mediocre column for my rankings, and give it a 6. Aside from the intense shootout at the Orange Bowl, it provided for lukewarm entertainment in my view.

• 4 months later...

I give it a 4, it ok but way too political w/ a lot of whining. Now I admit the Indians were horribly treated, but a lot of it was legitimate Conquest which is what formed the world, namely Western Civ, had it not happened we wouldnt be here now talking about a TV seriesThat being said, it was an ok episode but way to political, so that ruined it for me4/10

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

gave it a 6, liked the story with the indians. really like castillo in this one, boy, this guy is just too cool! not much crockett unfortunately but seeing castillo under cover was a nice change. liked the airboat rides, brought back happy memories... :-)

• 6 months later...

Was Castillo hot as hell or what?"I can kill 20 men in six minutes.":happy::happy::happy:The lackey he met with to make the deal looked like Greg Brady to me.LOL!Rest of the eppy was meh, Tubbs should've asked the girl out on a date.She was cute.5/10

• 1 year later...

Really not one of my favorites. Like "Vote of Confidence", I'm not really sure what the point of this episode was supposed to be? Okay, we know that there are power struggles/tradition vs. moving forward struggles within Native American/Indian reservations...and?? It was just kind of strange and odd for "MV". :rolleyes:To me, I think it was meant as more of a "filler" than anything else. However, I did enjoy Philip Michael Thomas' acting and performance. There was also some decent action/gun play, and I really liked seeing Castillo get in on the action for a change--his white suit was awesome! :glossy:But, other than those couple aspects this episode is pretty weak. It's not terrible or "garbage" by any means...but it's still not up to the normal style and captivation of "MV". I gave it a 5.

Really not one of my favorites. Like "Vote of Confidence"' date=' I'm not really sure what the point of this episode was supposed to be? Okay, we know that there are power struggles/tradition vs. moving forward struggles within Native American/Indian reservations...and?? It was just kind of strange and odd for "MV". :rolleyes:To me, I think it was meant as more of a "filler" than anything else. However, I did enjoy Philip Michael Thomas' acting and performance. There was also some decent action/gun play, and I really liked seeing Castillo get in on the action for a change--his white suit was awesome! :glossy:But, other than those couple aspects this episode is pretty weak. It's not terrible or "garbage" by any means...but it's still not up to the normal style and captivation of "MV". I gave it a 5.[/quote']
Not a bad episode - lot of Crockett missing in scenes and scenes .:shout::D
Not a terrible episode, but not a memorable or awesome one either. This was an episode dealing with a group of people that the government and/or the U.S. considers a "minority race". Since Tubbs (aka Philip Michael Thomas) is also of a minority race, I think they felt he would be better to focus on for this storyline, rather than Crockett...who is white, or Caucasian. So, this was not an episode that focused much on Crockett.

• 1 year later...

Nice to see the Everglades feature prominently in this one . Crockett appears to be wearing light grey a lot - this is the the third or fourth episode where he wears light grey trousers and tops. The songs I noticed have been cut back - only one in this episode. 

Jan Hammer's signature sound is disappearing - with John Petersen's score becoming more prominent and the last three episodes the score has sounded very familiar.  Its interesting by just watching you can see the budget is being watched closely.

7/10

:D

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Pretty decent episode.

Cool beginning.

The main plus of this episode is seeing Tubbs and Castillo more.

The action is pretty good in this one.

Not much to say here.

Is the house where the guy shot off the balcony the same as in Hostile Takeover?

7/10

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Way too preachy and politically driven. No nuance or shades of grey to any of the conflicts between the groups. Just white man  = bad, nonwhite minorities = good. Instead we just got a collection of strawmen for the Indians to overcome.

I love Tubbs getting time in the spotlight but this episode really needed more Crockett to chime in with some pessimistic snark for all parties involved.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I found the Episode very interesting and well made. For one it featured a car like mine. But the Main Reason why i liked this Episode are the messages, that Indians have been exploited but are not necessary always the good guys, that the seemingly bad guy can turn out not so bad while the seemingly good guy turns out really bad.

Also i really liked the go on the idea that no minority group has a privilege to suffering and discrimination, because racial discrimination hits everyone. 

A Fun fact was that the DeLorean the Dealer drove in one take had bad adjusted Gullwing Doors. Which means, they did not open the way they should and thats a problem every DeLorean driver knows about. That was actually quite nice to see.

• 3 months later...

I reviewed this one five years ago. Just rewatched it last night. It’s embarrassing for me to say, but the plot still confuses me. So did Joe Dan really sell cocaine or was it just at the end he was going to sell it? Maybe this episode just kind of lacks a point? It sounds like @ViceFanMan also questioned the point of the episode. Regardless, I have much respect for the all the Native tribes.

I can still enjoy the ride of an episode but still be enjoying it brainlessly. There are other episodes I’ve seen multiple times but still don’t really get the picture. I feel kind of like Homer in this clip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

I reviewed this one five years ago. Just rewatched it last night. It’s embarrassing for me to say, but the plot still confuses me. So did Joe Dan really sell cocaine or was it just at the end he was going to sell it? Maybe this episode just kind of lacks a point? It sounds like @ViceFanMan also questioned the point of the episode. Regardless, I have much respect for the all the Native tribes.

I can still enjoy the ride of an episode but still be enjoying it brainlessly. There are other episodes I’ve seen multiple times but still don’t really get the picture. I feel kind of like Homer in this clip.

Lol..there are a few episodes that plot-wise are pretty “shallow”...possibly dip your pinky in. :p But, with this one as to whether or not Joe Dan actually sold cocaine before hand? Not gonna lie, it’s been a few years since I’ve watched this one, but from what I remember I think he was planning to, but hadn’t actually yet. But maybe I’m wrong?? 

I’ll be honest again and say this one bores me :tongue: ...it’s not a “terrible” episode, necessarily, it just doesn’t have anything captivating or interesting. This is one I actually did not see when it originally aired, and I didn’t see it until reruns at some point—possibly on USA or TNN in the 90s. I’ve maybe only seen it twice since then. :dance: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed this episode.  It was paced well to tell a story, not with filler to make the 47 min mark.  We know the main characters enough not to make them the focus, but instead have a part of Florida and it’s inhabitants be the focus.