Episode #83 "Indian Wars"

Ferrariman

• 9 months later...

Most of this was my original review...not much has changed:

Really not one of my favorites. I'm not really sure what the point of this episode was supposed to be? Okay, we know that there are power struggles/tradition vs. moving forward struggles within Native American/Indian reservations...and??

It was just kind of strange and pointless for MV. :rolleyes: To me, I think it was meant as more of a "filler" than anything else. However, I did enjoy Philip Michael Thomas' acting and performance. There was also some decent action/gun play, and I really liked seeing Castillo get in on the action for a change--his white suit was awesome! :glossy:

But, other than those couple aspects this episode is pretty weak. It's not terrible or garbage by any means...but it's still not up to the normal style and captivation of MV. I originally gave it a 5...probably still do, but maybe a 4 would be more accurate. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was amused seeing Castillo "playing" Sonny complete with white blazer when with Acosta.  (It's hard to believe that Acosta's actor, Joe Lala, also played the fragile priest in Seinfeld who gets traumatized by Puddy's New Jersey Devils outfit.  He looks so different here.) Joe Turkel (Levec) is in this too; he was an actor who usually only popped up every few decades or so to act in a Kubrick film.  

The premise here is good: the effect of the illegal drug trade on a Miccosukee tribe in the south Florida region.  (There's a cool overhead shot of Joe Dan and the braves slicing open cocaine packets and dumping the contents into the swamp water.)  But this episode works more on atmosphere and interrelationships than on cultural statements. 

Good climactic scene at the penthouse. (Although it should have ended with a freeze frame of Joe Dan, arms outstretched in the air.)  This episode made my top 5 of S4 last year.  I'll have to see if it maintains that once I finish this season rewatch. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 1