Overall Review & Rating--Season 4

ViceFanMan

I know there were some changes with Season 4...the plotlines or episodes seemed to take on a "darker" feel to them, but not in fashion. It seemed the pastels were back with the clothes, compared to season 3, and that was awesome! :thumbsup: I also liked it that Crockett's Wayfarers were back...however, this time black instead of tortoise shell. But, the "tone" of the show and the characters seemed to enter a darker or more depressing place than previous seasons, and that's one aspect that kind of saddened me and I didn't particularly care for. :cry:But, I still think Season 4 is awesome and enjoyable! Despite the sometimes "darker" feel, there was still plenty of action and wild, bizarre episodes to keep you captivated. We also got to see a more personable side to each character this season, whether problems or joys, and that was interesting and sometimes even heat-touching or heart-wrenching to watch! But, despite some changes the acting was still superb, the episodes/plots were for the most part still awesome, a lot of the music used was phenomenal :radio: , still loved Jan Hammer's themes used throughout (although this would be his last season), the fashion was still interesting and fun to look at, the action was still there, etc... :clap:My favorite episode of Season 4 is "Death and the Lady"! It's wild, freaky, something they'd never done before, the acting/colors/filming locations/suspense were perfect :thumbsup: , and despite the fact that it's very "dark" and tragic, it captivated and mesmerized the heck out of you! :glossy: However, "God's Work" is also superb and comes in a darn close second to being my favorite. But, there were a few other episodes that I also felt were the best or most enjoyable of the season/show, and ones I love watching...which are:"Child's Play""God's Work"-(My favorite of the season too!)"Love At First Sight"-(Love suspenseful, Hitchcockian-style episodes!)"Honor Among Thieves?""Hell Hath No Fury...""Blood and Roses""Deliver Us From Evil""Mirror Image" Some other enjoyable or watchable episodes, but not necessarily the "best" are:"Contempt of Court""The Big Thaw""Like A Hurricane""Rising Sun of Death""A Rock and a Hard Place""Baseballs of Death""Indian Wars""Badge of Dishonor""A Bullet For Crockett" Some of the bad/weak, or least enjoyable episodes are:"Amen...Send Money""Missing Hours"-(The absolute WORST EPISODE IN TV HISTORY!! :thumbsdown: )"The Cows of October"-(The 2nd worst episode of the series!)"Vote of Confidence" Overall I love Season 4...and even with the few changes, I still think it's "Miami Vice"! :thumbsup:

Hey atleast we agree on something :PI love death and the lady. The whole thing with the snuff film murder was perfect for vice.I think season 4 gets too much flak and unfairly considered an all bad season, but there are some great episodes in there. Crockett and Tubbs look older and more mature, with the mullet and beard respectively:cool:. Crockett back to the pastels and raybans like you mentioned. I like the patterned shirts he wears under the jacket.

Hey atleast we agree on something :PI love death and the lady. The whole thing with the snuff film murder was perfect for vice.I think season 4 gets too much flak and unfairly considered an all bad season' date=' but there are some great episodes in there. Crockett and Tubbs look older and more mature, with the mullet and beard respectively:cool:. Crockett back to the pastels and raybans like you mentioned. I like the patterned shirts he wears under the jacket.[/quote']I sooo agree! :D Not that I like mullets much, (cause I don't :eek: ) but it seemed to fit Crockett pretty good! :) I loved the whole snuff flick plotline...not many shows have done that and "MV's" was pretty awesome! :thumbsup:
A great Season :shout::thumbsup::D
I agree...really liked this one. It wasn't quite as good as the previous three, but it was still pretty cool! :clap:

Death and the lady is like the season 4 masterpiece. It's dark, mysterious and it has the bald guy off CSI as the villain(has hair here tho). Even Don johnson actually looks like he wants to be there which is a miracle. :)They re-use the hammer music from Little miss dangerous. It's very ominous. I love the edge of town montage. Does sonny look directly into the camera before stepping on the gas? it's weird as hell :pSometimes a little cheese is a good thing. Thats why we love Vice.

Death and the lady is like the season 4 masterpiece. It's dark' date=' mysterious and it has the bald guy off CSI as the villain(has hair here tho). Even Don johnson actually looks like he wants to be there which is a miracle. :)They re-use the hammer music from Little miss dangerous. It's very ominous. I love the edge of town montage. Does sonny look directly into the camera before stepping on the gas? it's weird as hell :pSometimes a little cheese is a good thing. Thats why we love Vice.[/quote']Exactly...and I like Paul Guilfoyle as an actor. He's played all kinds of characters...but he'll always be Capt. Jim Brass on "CSI" to me. :) He did have hair then...as did Bruce Willis in "No Exit". :p Lawrence Fishburne looked unbelievably young and thin in "Walk Alone" to me!But yes..."Death and the Lady" was a masterpiece, and one of my all-time favorite episodes! :thumbsup: There are several other episodes from Season 4 that I like too, though.

I think the problem with the later seasons is you gotta cherry pick.You're not going to enjoy yourself if you bought Season 4 and clicked "Play all"..You're gonna be sitting through endless drivel.So just pick your favourite eps and go straight to them. S4 has some cool moments..a few of my favourites out of the entire show are:Running on the rocks - Baseballs of death (Boat chase at the end..) It's really cool and ends with a bang literally.Child's Play is a good character piece. Interesting dialogue between Crockett and Castillo. It's like the fourth episode and unusually its the first episode in the season to feature gunfire and shootouts. I like the U2 song accompanying it.Death and the lady..As already mentioned.God's work ain't bad. Another good Boat chase and some interesting out-door cinematography that you don't see often in S4..

Season 4 was a bit of a strange one for me. Maybe it's because I'd heard such a miserable reputation before I watched it (I saw the show for the first time on the DVDs) but I was actually quite pleasantly surprised.Yes, there are some appalling episodes, but it also has some very very good ones, and it builds up to a belting finale. Also, I liked that a lot of the classic look came back after the deviation in season 3. White jackets are back!As for the vote, I realised I clicked on Mirror Image, but I actually meant to vote Deliver Us from Evil. Whoops! I'd appreciate it if someone could change that.

• Like 1

I think the problem with the later seasons is you gotta cherry pick.You're not going to enjoy yourself if you bought Season 4 and clicked "Play all"..You're gonna be sitting through endless drivel.So just pick your favourite eps and go straight to them. S4 has some cool moments..a few of my favourites out of the entire show are:Running on the rocks - Baseballs of death (Boat chase at the end..) It's really cool and ends with a bang literally.Child's Play is a good character piece. Interesting dialogue between Crockett and Castillo. It's like the fourth episode and unusually its the first episode in the season to feature gunfire and shootouts. I like the U2 song accompanying it.Death and the lady..As already mentioned.God's work ain't bad. Another good Boat chase and some interesting out-door cinematography that you don't see often in S4..
I understand what you're saying' date=' but I think this view fits better for Season 5, rather than 4. I actually really like most of Season 4, and even though I never use that option (as [b']I like to pick as I go--even when watching in original airing order) I could hit "Play All" and be cool with it! :thumbsup: However, I don't find any of the seasons, as a whole, endless drivel! There are a few select episodes that fit that criteria...but not any of the seasons in their entirety...even Season 5. ;) I really liked Leigh Burne's views for Season 4 :clap: :
Season 4 was a bit of a strange one for me. Maybe it's because I'd heard such a miserable reputation before I watched it (I saw the show for the first time on the DVDs) but I was actually quite pleasantly surprised.Yes' date=' there are some appalling episodes, but it also has some very very good ones, and it builds up to a belting finale. Also, I liked that a lot of the classic look came back after the deviation in season 3. White jackets are back!As for the vote, I realised I clicked on Mirror Image, but I actually meant to vote Deliver Us from Evil. Whoops! I'd appreciate it if someone could change that.[/quote']I could not agree more, and this just goes to show you can't always go by what others tell you...watch and judge for yourself! :thumbsup:

If you watched them in airing order, Going from Missing hours to vote of confidence. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy:)

If you watched them in airing order' date=' Going from Missing hours to vote of confidence. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy:)[/quote']Well...you know how I feel about "Missing Hours"--the worst freakin' episode ever produced in TV history!! :thumbsdown:;) But, even though it's not that good, and it's kind of pointless, "Vote of Confidence" is not that horrible. I can have it playing while doing something else and still get the "jest" of it. :p Also, we all know that "Cows of October" comes in 2nd as...the other worst episode ever produced in TV history!! :evil: :)But, the other episodes in between are still pretty awesome: "Like a Hurricane", "Rising Sun of Death"-(maybe a little over-the-top with the ninja stuff but still decent action one), "Love At First Sight"-(superb episode..."MV's" version of "Psycho"!! :clap: ), and "A Rock and a Hard Place". I enjoy all of those and they still make Season 4 a pretty awesome season! :thumbsup:

I really liked Leigh Burne's views for Season 4 :clap:
Thanks!I still have problems with the season... I didn't like how it kinda became the Don Johnson Show - there was a real lack of Tubbs in general - but when I think about it there's really only 3 or 4 episodes that I consider bad and I'm glad I made the leap of faith to buying it' date=' as I originally told myself I'd stop at season 3 based on the reviews.
I could not agree more' date=' and this just goes to show you can't always go by what others tell you...watch and judge for yourself! :thumbsup:[/quote']Bit off-topic, but I found the same - in fact even more so - with season 5. That had a crap reputation (still does in fact) but it's actually one of my favourite seasons of the show. I love how dark and bleak it got.

Thanks!I still have problems with the season... I didn't like how it kinda became the Don Johnson Show - there was a real lack of Tubbs in general - but when I think about it there's really only 3 or 4 episodes that I consider bad and I'm glad I made the leap of faith to buying it' date=' as I originally told myself I'd stop at season 3 based on the reviews.Bit off-topic, but I found the same - in fact even more so - with season 5. That had a crap reputation (still does in fact) but it's actually one of my favourite seasons of the show. I love how dark and bleak it got.[/quote']It did kind of become the "Don Johnson Show", so-to-speak, after Don demanded a pay raise to return for Season 3. :) But, I still love most of the episodes and other cast members got to "shine" too...such as Gina! :happy:I am so glad you decided to check out seasons 4 and 5!! :thumbsup: Don't ever just go by reviews or what others tell you...a lot of what so-called critics or others say is horrible, I end up liking! ;) We can go on and on with our opinions and reviews...and that's fine. But, everyone needs to watch all of it, and then form their own opinions. :D I like Season 5 as it's different and interesting compared to the other seasons...however, I do prefer the first 3 seasons to the rest of the show (Season 2 being my favorite as a whole). But, Seasons 4 and 5 are still awesome and fun to watch! :clap:

I am so glad you decided to check out seasons 4 and 5!! :thumbsup: Don't ever just go by reviews or what others tell you...a lot of what so-called critics or others say is horrible' date=' I end up liking! ;) We can go on and on with our opinions and reviews...and that's fine. But, everyone needs to watch all of it, and then form their own opinions. :D[/quote']In fairness, I practically never listen to "official" reviews. Some of my favourite films have got bad critical reviews. Doesn't stop the movie entertaining the hell out of me. But I do tend to put some faith in reviews made by ordinary people. Because generally, it's safe to assume someone reviewing a particular TV show will probably be a fan of that show, so they at least like what I like in that regard. And I'd heard a lot of Miami Vice fans saying bad things about the later seasons. Luckily they were all wrong :p

Death and the Lady, Baseball of Death, Deliver Us From Evil are the only episodes I would rate.Mirror Image is entertaining in its way but I can't take it seriously...Crockett get amnesia and thinks he's his alter ego and becomes a bad guy? It's like a bad plot line from Dynasty. At least Caitlin's dead by now though :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

In fairness' date=' I practically never listen to "official" reviews. Some of my favourite films have got bad critical reviews. Doesn't stop the movie entertaining the hell out of me. But I do tend to put some faith in reviews made by ordinary people. Because generally, it's safe to assume someone reviewing a particular TV show will probably be a fan of that show, so they at least like what I like in that regard. And I'd heard a lot of Miami Vice fans saying bad things about the later seasons. Luckily they were all wrong :p[/quote']This is true...to a point. But, even I don't always listen to what other fans of a TV show will say. I might read reviews or remarks...but I will still wait to form my own opinion until after watching it all. I always go by what I feel or think, or how I view an episode...even if others disagree. Sometimes I'm in the majority...sometimes not. :) Sometimes someone will read or listen to what another fan, or group of fans, thinks and then they just go with it--rather than really watching and paying attention like they should. Soon the word just spreads that..."Oh my gosh, this is horrible!"...when in reality it's not that horrible or bad at all. ;) I would never tell a viewer or fan, who was fairly new, to not watch any season or episode...as they need to see everything at least once. :done: They are different than previous seasons...but Seasons 4 and 5 are still pretty cool! :thumbsup:

until after watching it all. I always go by what I feel or think, or how I view an episode...even if others disagree. Sometimes I'm in the majority...sometimes not. :) Sometimes someone will read or listen to what another fan, or group of fans, thinks and then they just go with it--rather than really watching and paying attention like they should. Soon the word just spreads that..."Oh my gosh, this is horrible!"...when in reality it's not that horrible or bad at all. ;) I would never tell a viewer or fan, who was fairly new, to not watch any season or episode...as they need to see everything at least once. :done: They are different than previous seasons...but Seasons 4 and 5 are still pretty cool! :thumbsup:

When Reviewers say Season 4-5 contains SOME of the worst television in existence, unfortunately its not hyperbole :)

Sorry to burst anybody's bubble but I went for mirror image when Crockett becomes Burnett.I like the Burnett trilogy superb acting and can see the bad boy Burnett part of Crockett emerge and show his colors and his stealth movements like a cat pouncing on his prey.I like the darker clothes and scenery and atmosphere and the emotions that come out.

• Like 2

When Reviewers say Season 4-5 contains SOME of the worst television in existence' date=' unfortunately its not hyperbole :)[/quote']Oh...I'm sorry but saying that any season as a whole of "Miami Vice" contains some "of the worst television in existence" is a HUGE, RIDICULOUS, and INACCURATE exaggeration!! :)Season 4 is still pretty awesome--most of the plots are good, the pastels are back, Crockett has Wayfarers again, music is superb as ever--still included Jan Hammer's themes, etc... Season 5 isn't quite as good as the rest of the series...but it does NOT include some of the worst TV in existence. There are still good episodes, music, and characterization (except for Stan's ridiculous descent into the "dark side" :p ). There are way worse shows I've come across before that would qualify for that category than any season of "MV"! ;)The ONLY aspects of "MV" that would qualify as the "worst in TV existence/history" would be Missing Hours and Cows of October. But, those are just two episodes--not a season as a whole. :done: Any show is going to include really bad episodes somewhere along the lines...including some of the most popular and famous. Another example of this would be "Charlie's Angels"--which was another iconic hit-crime show that still has a strong following today (the original 1976-1981 series...not the 2011 remake). I also like that show and it too was only on 5 seasons before getting cancelled. But it also included some really horrible episodes (if you know anything about that show a couple of those would be Dancin' Angels and Moonshinin' Angels). The point is that despite a couple/possibly few really bad episodes...both "MV" and "CA" were two of the most popular and iconic shows in TV history...and as a whole all 5 of their seasons are awesome and memorable!! :thumbsup:

Sorry to burst anybody's bubble but I went for mirror image when Crockett becomes Burnett.I like the Burnett trilogy superb acting and can see the bad boy Burnett part of Crockett emerge and show his colors and his stealth movements like a cat pouncing on his prey.I like the darker clothes and scenery and atmosphere and the emotions that come out.

You aren't alone in liking the Burnett stuff. As silly as the idea was, Don Johnson ROCKED as a villain. Technically it's season 5, but I love that opening shot of him in Hostile Takeover, where he turns to the camera looking all badass. It's one of my favourite moments of the entire series. Johnson made a brilliant bad guy.
  • Like 3

any season as a whole of "Miami Vice" contains some "of the worst television in existence" is a HUGE' date=' RIDICULOUS, and INACCURATE[/b'] exaggeration!! :)Season 4 is still pretty awesome--most of the plots are good, the pastels are back, Crockett has Wayfarers again, music is superb as ever--still included Jan Hammer's themes, etc... Season 5 isn't quite as good as the rest of the series...but it does NOT include some of the worst TV in existence. There are still good episodes, music, and characterization (except for Stan's ridiculous descent into the "dark side" :p ). There are way worse shows I've come across before that would qualify for that category than any season of "MV"! ;)The ONLY aspects of "MV" that would qualify as the "worst in TV existence/history" would be Missing Hours and Cows of October. But, those are just two episodes--not a season as a whole. :done: Any show is going to include really bad episodes somewhere along the lines...including some of the most popular and famous. Another example of this would be "Charlie's Angels"--which was another iconic hit-crime show that still has a strong following today (the original 1976-1981 series...not the 2011 remake). I also like that show and it too was only on 5 seasons before getting cancelled. But it also included some really horrible episodes (if you know anything about that show a couple of those would be Dancin' Angels and Moonshinin' Angels). The point is that despite a couple/possibly few really bad episodes...both "MV" and "CA" were two of the most popular and iconic shows in TV history...and as a whole all 5 of their seasons are awesome and memorable!! :thumbsup:

I didn't say all of episodes of the season are rubbish, as I'm quite fond of S4 but i did say some are the worst things i've ever seen in the history of television. You even agree with me by mentioning Cows of october & Missing hours

I didn't say all of episodes of the season are rubbish' date=' as I'm quite fond of S4 but i did say some are the worst things i've ever seen in the history of television. You even agree with me by mentioning Cows of october & Missing hours[/quote']Oh, okay! If we're specifically talking about "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October" then yes...they are probably the two worst episodes produced/filmed in TV history!! :)But, most of the rest of Season 4 is pretty awesome!! :thumbsup: And, the couple other possible weak episodes ("Vote of Confidence" and "Indian Wars") were still not anywhere near as bad as "worst in TV history". :done:

I am going to defend season 4 as well.I don't own the DVD but after watching the season twice on Centric I know which episodes I like and not.Season 4 is no season 1,2,or even 3 but it still holds strong and Im a fan enough to enjoy it.I love "Love at First Sight","Amen...Send Money","Death and the Lady","Baseballs of Death","The Big Thaw",ect.Most fans here seem to hate "The Big Thaw" but it holds better and makes more sense than "Missing Hours".Plus the plots better and I can watch it without being ashamed unlike "Missing Hours".I love the style of Crocketts clothes better than what he mostly wore in season 3.The episodes I hated were "Vote of Confidence":sleep:,"Missing Hours":confused:,and "Hell Hath no Fury":rolleyes:.I haven't seen "Cows of October" so I don't have a say about it.The episode "Gods Work" bored me a bit but it had a very cool speed boat chase scene.Caitlin is a character that I don't hate.She can be annoying at times but she isn't too bad.It was pretty tragic how she got assasinated in "Deliver us from Evil" and it was sad seeing Crockett after it happened and his descent into darkness.I like "Rising Sun of Death" too because I like Japanese stuff a bit so I thought it was neat.I thought "Blood and Roses" was alright as well but they should of used a better dummy:DI like "Honor Among Thieves?" too but it is a bit creepy.I see why many don't like the season because it is so inconsistent and wierd at times.After watching most of the epsiodes of this show it is safe to say that I love this show and there is no season that I hate:cool:

I am going to defend season 4 as well.I don't own the DVD but after watching the season twice on Centric I know which episodes I like and not.Season 4 is no season 1' date='2,or even 3 but it still holds strong and Im a fan enough to enjoy it.I love "Love at First Sight","Amen...Send Money","Death and the Lady","Baseballs of Death","The Big Thaw",ect.Most fans here seem to hate "The Big Thaw" but it holds better and makes more sense than "Missing Hours".Plus the plots better and I can watch it without being ashamed unlike "Missing Hours".I love the style of Crocketts clothes better than what he mostly wore in season 3.The episodes I hated were "Vote of Confidence":sleep:,"Missing Hours":confused:,and "Hell Hath no Fury":rolleyes:.I haven't seen "Cows of October" so I don't have a say about it.The episode "Gods Work" bored me a bit but it had a very cool speed boat chase scene.Caitlin is a character that I don't hate.She can be annoying at times but she isn't too bad.It was pretty tragic how she got assasinated in "Deliver us from Evil" and it was sad seeing Crockett after it happened and his descent into darkness.I like "Rising Sun of Death" too because I like Japanese stuff a bit so I thought it was neat.I thought "Blood and Roses" was alright as well but they should of used a better dummy:DI like "Honor Among Thieves?" too but it is a bit creepy.I see why many don't like the season because it is so inconsistent and wierd at times.After watching most of the epsiodes of this show it is safe to say that I love this show and there is no season that I hate:cool:[/quote']BlueAir...you and I have almost the exact same feelings for Season 4...loved your views/comments! :thumbsup: Now, I actually did like "Hell Hath No Fury..." & "God's Work", and disliked "Amen...Send Money"--but other than that, our views our almost exactly the same! Thank you for your awesome thoughts! :clap:

BlueAir...you and I have almost the exact same feelings for Season 4...loved your views/comments! :thumbsup: Now' date=' I actually did like "Hell Hath No Fury..." & "God's Work", and disliked "Amen...Send Money"--but other than that, our views our almost exactly the same! Thank you for your awesome thoughts! :clap:[/quote']Yeah it seems were on the same level when it comes to season 4:thumbsup:The episode "Hell Hath no Fury" had an alright plot but it fealt like a Lifetime channel movie.Miami Vice kept a straight path unlike Roseanne where it was a show about a regular family with regular issues into a show where they are fighting terrorists on a train!