Overall Revew & Rating--Season 3

ViceFanMan

I know there was another thread similar to this but no one did a poll to see what others thought the best episode of the season was...so I decided to create one and again state what my thoughts and review/rating was for this season:I know there were some changes with Season 3...there wasn't as much pastel with the clothes, Crockett gets a new Ferrari & sunglasses, and his haircut is different. I also think there were new writers...so the storyline of Tubbs' baby son (who was really still alive) from season 2 was never returned to or given closure. :confused:But, I still think Season 3 is awesome and enjoyable! :clap: There was still plenty of pastels for the colors of buildings and sets, and I liked Crockett's Testarossa better anyway. ;) However, I do wish he'd of kept his tortoise shell Wayfarers instead of the black Pearsol things he was wearing in this season. :cool:But, despite some changes the acting was still superb, the episodes/plots were for the most part still awesome, a lot of the music used was phenomenal :radio: , still loved Jan Hammer's themes used throughout, the fashion was still interesting and fun to look at, the action was still there, etc...This was a very hard decision to make...but my favorite episode of Season 3 is "Shadow in the Dark"! It's wild, freaky, something they'd never done before, the acting/colors/filming locations/suspense were perfect :clap: , and I loved it that the episode was based off a real-life case! :eek: I also loved "El Viejo", and it comes in a darn close second to being my favorite too.But, there were a few other episodes that I also felt were the best or most enjoyable of the season/show, and ones I love watching...which are:"When Irish Eyes Are Crying""El Viejo""Better Living Through Chemistry""Streetwise""Forgive Us Our Debts""Cuba Libre""Duty and Honor""Theresa""The Afternoon Plane""Lend Me an Ear""By Hooker By Crook""Heroes of the Revolution"Some other enjoyable or watchable episodes, but not necessarily the "best" are:"Killshot""Walk Alone""The Good Collar""Baby Blues""Down For the Count" Pts. 1&2"Red Tape""Knock, Knock, Who's There?"Some of the bad/weak, or least enjoyable episodes are:"Stone's War""Viking Bikers From Hell""Everybody's in Showbiz" Overall I love Season 3...and even with the few changes, I still think it's "Miami Vice"! :thumbsup:

Season 3 is pretty awesome, they didn't want to repeat what they did before so they came up with this new look.At first i was like WTF! where's sonny and whos this guy dressed in some of the most ugly ass clothes the '80s had to offer. But then after awhile it grows on you, you forget the wierd haircut and no seriously, what sort of materials are his jacket and pants made out of. Some sort of nasty man made product.:birdie:Now with this new style they're going for, we get a brand spanking new white ferrari testerossa which looks badass.The show starts to get REALLY dark, alot more night scenes, all the interiors are painted/lit in these dark neon blues/greens/purples. It's really strange, no other tv show looks like this(which is a good thing)Whilst there are some great episodes, there are a few more clunkers that we wouldn't normally see. You're going to have to put up with Viking Bikers, Afternoon planes and endless gina romance episodes if you want to get to the good stuff.I recommend watching El Veijo before Irish eyes are crying, that is unless you want to sit through 45 minutes of crap and then by the end you wish you was on the plane that liam neeson wants to blow up.Anyways there's a ton of good stuff after that though.Personal Favourites1. Good collar2. By hooker by crook3. Forgive us our debts4. Red Tape5. Down for the count 2I got a few S2 eps left and then i'm gonna rewatch most of S3 so I'll see what my thoughts are afterwards

Season 3 is pretty awesome' date=' they didn't want to repeat what they did before so they came up with this new look.At first i was like WTF! where's sonny and whos this guy dressed in some of the most ugly ass clothes the '80s had to offer. But then after awhile it grows on you, you forget the wierd haircut and no seriously, what sort of materials are his jacket and pants made out of. Some sort of nasty man made product.:birdie:Now with this new style they're going for, we get a brand spanking new white ferrari testerossa which looks badass.The show starts to get REALLY dark, alot more night scenes, all the interiors are painted/lit in these dark neon blues/greens/purples. It's really strange, no other tv show looks like this(which is a good thing)Whilst there are some great episodes, there are a few more clunkers that we wouldn't normally see. You're going to have to put up with Viking Bikers, Afternoon planes and endless gina romance episodes if you want to get to the good stuff.I recommend watching El Veijo before Irish eyes are crying, that is unless you want to sit through 45 minutes of crap and then by the end you wish you was on the plane that liam neeson wants to blow up.Anyways there's a ton of good stuff after that though.Personal Favourites1. Good collar2. By hooker by crook3. Forgive us our debts4. Red Tape5. Down for the count 2I got a few S2 eps left and then i'm gonna rewatch most of S3 so I'll see what my thoughts are afterwards[/quote']Some of the style changes from season 3 I didn't care for...mainly the no pastels with the clothes. Didn't really notice a problem with the material...just the no-colors. However, like I stated earlier the buildings and backgrounds still included a lot of pastels, so that was good.I liked the "Gina" episodes and "Afternoon Plane". However, I really don't care for "Viking Bikers". :evil: I like to watch most of the episodes as they originally aired, so watching "El Viejo" in it's rightful spot doesn't bother me. Seeing the "ghost Spyder" phenomena actually helps make this episode interesting...and one of those goofs you just have to love. :rolleyes: :)Out of the episodes you listed, I really like "By Hooker By Crook" and "Forgive Us Our Debts"! :clap: "Good Collar" was okay too, but I really do not like "Red Tape" (another pointless "filler" episode) or either part of "Down For the Count" (which were sad, depressing, and stupid). :evil:

Some of the style changes from season 3 I didn't care for...mainly the no pastels with the clothes. Didn't really notice a problem with the material...just the no-colors. However' date=' like I stated earlier the buildings and backgrounds still included a lot of pastels, so that was good.I liked the "Gina" episodes and "Afternoon Plane". However, I really don't care for "Viking Bikers". :evil: I like to watch most of the episodes as they originally aired, so watching "El Viejo" in it's rightful spot doesn't bother me. Seeing the "ghost Spyder" phenomena actually helps make this episode interesting...and one of those goofs you just have to love. :rolleyes: :)Out of the episodes you listed, I really like "By Hooker By Crook" and "Forgive Us Our Debts"! :clap: "Good Collar" was okay too, but I really do not like "Red Tape" (another pointless "filler" episode) or either part of "Down For the Count" (which were sad, depressing, and stupid). :evil:[/quote']What's wrong with Red Tape. I just love the episodes where Crockett or Tubbs are undercover. In this one, Even WE are tricked by his cover. It's actually pretty clever.It has some good music, action and PMT is suprisingly good, somtimes he's awful, occasionally great.

El Viejo all the way!The episode has it all with great scenery,acting,action,music,dialog,ect.I can watch all the time and not get tired of it.Season 3 has some great episodes despite changes to style.I personaly would of loved it if Crockett wore pastel colored windbreakers instead of the the grey and purple.They are nice windbreakers he wears but I wished he wore more pastels.Heroes of the Revolution didn't feel like Miami Vice to me with all the singing and the whole Pedrosa and East German spy thing (Gina's got a good singing voice though:done:),making it my least favorite episode of season 3.Unlike most fans on here I love "Viking Bikers from Hell".To me its a Miami Vice with a double dose of man-roids.The biker guys seem a little goofy but not as rediculous as the pirate dude in "Jack of all Trades".The gunfight at the end is one of my favorites of the show and the final showdown with Reb and Crockett is cool.Plus you have to love Reb's war cry (RAAAAAW!!!):D.In all the whole season is not too bad:cool:

What's wrong with Red Tape. I just love the episodes where Crockett or Tubbs are undercover. In this one' date=' Even WE are tricked by his cover. It's actually pretty clever.It has some good music, action and PMT is suprisingly good, somtimes he's awful, occasionally great.[/quote']It's an interesting cover, true enough, and the first time I ever watched "Red Tape" I'll admit I was fooled. However, overall the episode wasn't that memorable or captivating...and it was mostly sad and depressing! :cry: :evil: I don't know...just seemed more like an "odd-ball" thrown in as more of a filler than anything else. :rolleyes:

Still haven't got round to watching Season 3.I honestly can't wait, the change of style is welcome. Sometimes too much pastel colours gets a little sickening, There's only so much baby pinks, blues, purples you can look at, especially for a straight man anyway:)I'm just gonna make a list of all my favourite eps and watch them back to back...thus eliminating the many misfires in S3 and believe me there are numerous. Some of the worst episodes to date. But thankfully we got some Top tier 10/10 eps to counter act that.

A bit of a tough one this, because although I thought there were a lot of good episodes in season 3, I think they stretched it out a little too long and I struggled to pick one episode that really stood out above the others.I went for The Good Collar in the end, just because of how bleak it was. I always did love the bleak episodes of the show. Plus it has that incredible ending where Crockett just bins his lucky football and walks away. The job's been done, but to him it wasn't worth the cost.

Still haven't got round to watching Season 3.I honestly can't wait' date=' the change of style is welcome. Sometimes too much pastel colours gets a little sickening, There's only so much baby pinks, blues, purples you can look at, especially for a straight man anyway:)I'm just gonna make a list of all my favourite eps and watch them back to back...thus eliminating the many misfires in S3 and believe me there are numerous. Some of the worst episodes to date. But thankfully we got some Top tier 10/10 eps to counter act that.[/quote']I thought you'd watched this season already...but If you haven't watched Season 3 yet, how do you know there are lots of so-called "misfires" or worst episodes ever? :confused: Okay, there is "Everybody's In Showbiz" and "Viking Bikers"...but other than those couple, the rest of the season is awesome! :thumbsup:I did not care for as much, however, the change in style. I am "straight" but love the pastels :p ...and in my opinion they should have stayed with that color scheme for season 3. They brought them back for Season 4 and fans were pleased! :clap: I also did not care for Sonny's cropped-off, more buzz cut than the previous two seasons...and I especially did not like his giant looking black Persol sunglasses, compared to the tortoise shell Wayfarers from before. :evil: I loved it when in Season 4, in "Death and the Lady", 'ol Paul Guilfoyle ended up with them (at least it looked like the same glasses)...they seemed to fit him more. :)If you haven't watched all of Season 3 yet...watch the whole thing. Other than a few style changes, it's still "MV" and an awesome season!! :thumbsup:

love the pastels :p ...and in my opinion they should have stayed with that color scheme for season 3. They brought them back for Season 4 and fans were pleased! :clap: I also did not care for Sonny's cropped-off, more buzz cut than the previous two seasons...and I especially did not like his giant looking black Persol sunglasses, compared to the tortoise shell Wayfarers from before. :evil: I loved it when in Season 4, in "Death and the Lady", 'ol Paul Guilfoyle ended up with them (at least it looked like the same glasses)...they seemed to fit him more. :)If you haven't watched all of Season 3 yet...watch the whole thing. Other than a few style changes, it's still "MV" and an awesome season!! :thumbsup:

My bad, I mean't that I haven't got round to Re-watching season 3. I was reviewing them on memory, having not seen them in a while.I didn't like the style of season 3 when I first watched it, I wanted the pastels and raybans damnit..But it has grown on me alot. I even like sonny's new haircut and shades. Even the white testarossa lends itself to this new style. If it looked exactly the same as the previous seasons, I think people would have gotten bored even more rapidly of the show. We needed a change of pace.There are few more doozies like afternoon plane and heroes of revolution but the majority of them are actually pretty good. I was looking through the episode list and it's surpassingly good. Dare I say it, better than season 2.

My bad' date=' I mean't that I haven't got round to Re-watching season 3. I was reviewing them on memory, having not seen them in a while.I didn't like the style of season 3 when I first watched it, I wanted the pastels and raybans damnit..But it has grown on me alot. I even like sonny's new haircut and shades. Even the white testarossa lends itself to this new style. If it looked exactly the same as the previous seasons, I think people would have gotten bored even more rapidly of the show. We needed a change of pace.There are few more doozies like afternoon plane and heroes of revolution but the majority of them are actually pretty good. I was looking through the episode list and it's surpassingly good. Dare I say it, better than season 2.[/quote']Gotcha...I thought you'd seen season 3 before. I didn't like the style changes as much as the first two seasons (as I also wanted the pastel clothes and RayBan Wayfarers)...but there was still plenty of pastel buildings and surroundings, and the episodes were still freakin' awesome!! :thumbsup: I never cared for Crockett's haircut or shades in this season...but they are "livable" with the superb episodes...and yes...the superb white Ferrari Testarossa!!! :D I love that car, and it was my favorite compared to the Daytona Spyder!I like "Afternoon Plane" (could have been somewhat better but it's still pretty cool) and "Heroes of the Revolution"! Both are still awesome episodes...but for some reason I know you don't like "Heroes". ;) So, I doubt we'll agree on that one. Really, other than "Showbiz" and "Viking Bikers" the rest of the season is still pretty innovative and captivating...not quite as phenomenal as Season 2...but darn close!! :clap:

There are few more doozies like afternoon plane

Yeah, that one was a bit of a misfire wasn't it. A shame, because the return of Orlando Calderone should've been so much better after the brilliant Sons and Lovers.

Yeah' date=' that one was a bit of a misfire wasn't it. A shame, because the return of Orlando Calderone should've been so much better after the brilliant Sons and Lovers.[/quote']I agree..."Afternoon Plane" could have been a little better. Is it just me or does it seem somewhat "rushed"...like they knew they wanted to finally end the Calderone saga once and for all, so they just threw an episode together quickly and did it. They should have put more time and effort into it. It also should have included Crockett too.But, despite all that, it's still a good Tubbs episode, and I thought PMT did an awesome job! :thumbsup: The whole island ganging up on him was kind of interesting and added to the suspense...not to mention that I really liked his girlfriend in this one (who originally was the "bad" girl in first season's "Great McCarthy")! She was beautiful and intelligent :glossy:...not whacked out, manipulating, and annoying like Valerie! :evil: She should have returned for more episodes! Also, the music in "Afternoon" was superb! :radio:I still like it as one of Season 3's awesome episodes...but there were probably prettier gems, so-to-speak, than this one throughout the season. :cool:

I agree..."Afternoon Plane" could have been a little better. Is it just me or does it seem somewhat "rushed"...like they knew they wanted to finally end the Calderone saga once and for all' date=' so they just threw an episode together quickly and did it. They should have put more time and effort into it. It also should have included Crockett too.[/quote']That's exactly my problem with it. It's like they suddenly realised that they'd promised Calderone would be back, so they had to do something with it.Also, where the hell has the baby gone?!I also find it funny how Orlando swears vengeance against Tubbs, when it was actually Crockett who shot Esteban down :D

The Afternoon Plane was alright,they should of made Calderones last stand more longer and intense.It was just like this,"Calderone shoots Tubbs' woman,Tubbs shoots Calderone,quickly goes to Tubbs and his girlfriend to see if shes OK",that was it,not even a dramatic staredown or a reflection.Red Tape is a great episode,everything about it was great!Tubbs had me fooled about him going rogue and I was shocked about the whole "I WANT MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOW!!!"bit.I see that alot of people here didn't like the song at the end but in my opinion it made the scene more sadder and bittersweet.The scene in "Duty and Honor" where the Savage kills that one hooker while we see him write the wall with her blood has to be one of the most disturbing scene of the series to me.Season 3 has alot of great episodes that I can watch all over again like "El Viejo","The Good Collar","Shadow in the Dark","Viking Bikers from Hell",ect.It doesn't have as much pastel clothes and looks from the first two seasons but it is a tight season!

Great Season - the cinematography of the show and look early Season 3 was the best I had seen - it looked revitalised and refreshed .:thumbsup::D

Crockett who shot Esteban down :D

The whole "Tubbs' baby son" storyline has always been a thorn in "MV" fan's sides. It was never revisited or explained...one reason I've read was that not too long after that they got all new writers for the show--who chose not to go back to that. However, I've also read that they did not get new writers until Season 4 (if that's the case they could have finished up that storyline in Season 3)...but who knows? :rolleyes:Orlando swears vengeance on Tubbs because he was the one who was initially after his father (after his father had killed Tubbs' brother in New York), seduced his half sister, and eventually led Crockett (along with himself) to where his father was...resulting in Esteban Orlando Calderone's (Orlando's father and the "original" Calderone) death. So, in turn Orlando wanted revenge against Tubbs. However, he should have wanted revenge on both Tubbs and Crockett.

Great Season - the cinematography of the show and look early Season 3 was the best I had seen - it looked revitalised and refreshed .:thumbsup::D

Yeah, the cinematography was pretty cool...but they still should have used pastels with the clothes. ;) But, I love Season 3--pretty awesome episodes and plots! :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

Hey guys

I'm almost all the way through my re-watch of Season 3 and must say that there are quite a few gems in here - Forgive Us Our Debts, Good Collar, Lend Me An Ear….. however i do miss the season 1 and 2 cultural style and pastels. There's a few stinkers in Season 3 as well which are more than forgettable. 

• 1 year later...

Season 3 had some great stories & a bit more consistency than season 2. Season 2 looked great but episodes like the Bill Russell one are tough to take. Too many endings with Crockett yelling "Nooooooooo". Probably not THAT many but there were quite a few suicide endings in season 2. Like they couldn't figure out a good ending.

Season 3 has solid stories but the look bugs me more now than it did then. Season 1 & 2 have a definite style but it's a laid back style. Crockett's hair isn't overworked & his clothes are loose & casual. Tubbs hasn't gone to a tie in episode yet & he looked cool. Beginning in season 3, the style is more calculated. Crockett looked like a pop star. Both characters look like they take an 2 hours to get ready for work. The original Vice look was laid back. This is a bit too calculated. It gets worse in season 4 when Crockett's hair became overly styled. I like season 3 but I'm not sure a drastic style change was needed yet.

The whole island ganging up on him was kind of interesting and added to the suspense...not to mention that I really liked his girlfriend in this one (who originally was the "bad" girl in first season's "Great McCarthy")! She was beautiful and intelligent :glossy:...not whacked out, manipulating, and annoying like Valerie! :evil: She should have returned for more episodes!

Agreed, she was gorgeous. Isn't that girl the one in this Freddie Jackson video? (skip to 1 min)

Edited by Jerry Beck