Don Johnson was offered the role of John McClane in Die Hard.

Detective_Crockett

We all know the film franchise Die Hard with Bruce Willis as John McClane, well originally Don Johnson was one of the many actors who was offered the role of John McClane.Could you imagine how the movie would of been if he was McClane in it? How would you feel about it?Do you think the film franchise would be as popular as it is now if Don had taken the role? I honestly can't imagine Don saying the Yippe ki yay line. But considering Don Johnson is one of my top 10 favorite actors, I feel like it would of been really interesting to see him be McClane.What is everyone's thoughts :cool:?

We all know the film franchise Die Hard with Bruce Willis as John McClane' date=' well originally Don Johnson was one of the many actors who was offered the role of John McClane.Could you imagine how the movie would of been if he was McClane in it? How would you feel about it?Do you think the film franchise would be as popular as it is now if Don had taken the role? I honestly can't imagine Don saying the Yippe ki yay line. But considering Don Johnson is one of my top 10 favorite actors, I feel like it would of been really interesting to see him be McClane.What is everyone's thoughts :cool:?
I'm honestly not that surprised about it, as Holly Genero seemed like a copy and paste of his wife in the show, right down to the hair style it seemed.Although personally atleast this isnt as jarring as learning that Tom Selleck was supposed to play indiana jones at first, but couldnt because of the filming of magnum PI.

Although personally atleast this isnt as jarring as learning that Tom Selleck was supposed to play indiana jones at first' date=' but couldnt because of the filming of magnum PI.
LOL yep! Though it's sort of the same thing in that both films were to a large extent transformed by the people that played the lead characters. Would Indy be Indy if he were played by Tom Selleck? Would John McClane be John McClane is he were played by DJ? Hard to say, but interesting to think about.We know from Dead Bang that DJ could do well in an action movie, but I don't know, it's hard to envision him in Die Hard. Though I can see him saying the "Yippie Ki Yay" line convincingly, I don't know if it would have had the same "magic".

I dont know really, it would have depended on how well he fit in with the cast and the director as I'm kind of wondering if some of the stuff that Die Hard was famous for was adlibbed in but when it comes to variety I'm glad it worked out the way it did as Tom had Magnum, Don had Vice, Harrison had Han Solo and Indy and Bruce had Die Hard. and nowadays its hard to believe he was mostly known for that TV show of his before Die Hard.as now save for the people that remember it, it has been forgotten and overshadowed by Die Hard and its legacy.and also just for nostalgia's sake I still remember that kick ass arcade game of Die hard they had at the Pizza Hut back in the 1990's, god that was a fun game.makes me wish I could take a time machine back to there just to play it again, as the damn place got turned into a Jiffy Lube about 15 years ago.

I think that Bruce Willis had fit the movie just right as we all know Die Hard was a blast as a movie franchise.Don Johnson as McClane?I think would fit to but it would be some thing different.I could not imagine Don dropping pastel Italian suit and loafers and crawl barefoot in the ventilation shafts.and I think the voice of the actors also make a difference.Dons voice is more deep I imagine him as he himself images him as cowboy and Bruce,well Bruce...he is just Bruce and we all know him how he can always piss of the bad guys in the movies then get his butt kicked than he drops some funny jokes,get angry and then kick every bad guys butt in the town and in the end again be funny.so I think that Don Johnson would fitted the Die Hard movies but it would had its pluses and minuses,my self I love the Die Hard movies especially I and II parts.Don would had fit the movie but Bruce fitted better.well that just only my opinion:cool:

Im not sure DJ was offered the role but was one of many who were considered . I think he would have made the role work for him - "Dead Bang" was harder and more violent than MV and he was quite believeable in that role.:thumbsup::D

I think Don should clean himself from action / cops characters those days. In that music video where he acted as a cameraman, looked much more like Sonny Crockett holding a camera than a different character. He took the right decision.

I think Don should clean himself from action / cops characters those days. In that music video where he acted as a cameraman' date=' looked much more like Sonny Crockett holding a camera than a different character. He took the right decision.[/quote']On the contrary Don played a cop in his first role after Miami Vice and then returned to a cop in the very successful "Nash Bridges " for 5 years :thumbsup::cool::D:shout:

and also just for nostalgia's sake I still remember that kick ass arcade game of Die hard they had at the Pizza Hut back in the 1990's' date=' god that was a fun game.makes me wish I could take a time machine back to there just to play it again, as the damn place got turned into a Jiffy Lube about 15 years ago.
I know exactly the game you're talking about! In fact, I considered buying the actual machine once, as it was up fairly cheap, and local, which is usually my most important consideration when buying an arcade machine. I eventually decided against it due to space considerations, though I did try talking my brother into buying it. IIRC he also considered grabbing it, but no go.I believe they released a version of that arcade game for the Sega Saturn, and apparently it turned out very good. Not exactly the same thing, but tracking the game and a used system down shouldn't be too hard, if you were so inclined.Also, Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza for the PC is ridiculously good. It's a first person shooter based on the first movie, and while I'm sure it's long out of print, picking up a copy should be pretty easy, and cheap. Plus, since it was released in, I think, 2003, any halfway modern PC should be able to run it no porblem.

I know exactly the game you're talking about! In fact' date=' I considered buying the actual machine once, as it was up fairly cheap, and local, which is usually my most important consideration when buying an arcade machine. I eventually decided against it due to space considerations, though I did try talking my brother into buying it. IIRC he also considered grabbing it, but no go.I believe they released a version of that arcade game for the Sega Saturn, and apparently it turned out very good. Not exactly the same thing, but tracking the game and a used system down shouldn't be too hard, if you were so inclined.Also, Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza for the PC is ridiculously good. It's a first person shooter based on the first movie, and while I'm sure it's long out of print, picking up a copy should be pretty easy, and cheap. Plus, since it was released in, I think, 2003, any halfway modern PC should be able to run it no porblem.
Indeed it would be something worth looking into one of these days I guess, funny thing is while looking up the videos of it on youtube I cant seem to find the one I'm thinking of. As I remember it being a First Person shooter, the one that shows up seems to be a third person beat'em up Unless it was a mixture of the two or my memory is a little foggy, it has been god knows how many years since I last saw the game. and its just sad to think about how many arcades have closed over the years, hell supposedly one of the longest lasting ones in new york closed about a year or so ago actually.

Indeed it would be something worth looking into one of these days I guess' date=' funny thing is while looking up the videos of it on youtube I cant seem to find the one I'm thinking of. As I remember it being a First Person shooter, the one that shows up seems to be a third person beat'em up Unless it was a mixture of the two or my memory is a little foggy, it has been god knows how many years since I last saw the game. and its just sad to think about how many arcades have closed over the years, hell supposedly one of the longest lasting ones in new york closed about a year or so ago actually.
Yeah, the 3rd person beat-'em-up is the only Die Hard arcade game that I know of. Maybe there were some first person levels, I don't know. Time Crisis and Virtua Cop were both out and popular around the same time, and those were first person shooters with the same sort of blocky mid-90's polygonal graphics as Die Hard.Also, not to go too far off topic, but I know exactly what you mean about local arcades. I think the last one around here was Funsville Arcade, and that closed in, I think, the early-90's, maybe? I mean, it's been a lonnnng time. Seems like the closest thing nowadays are movie theaters or bowling alleys. In my experience, bowling alleys usually have the better offerings, more so than the movie theaters, but it's still not the same as a legit arcade. If I thought It would do decent business, I would seriously consider opening an arcade, but I'm afraid those days have more or less passed.EDIT: Someone wrote about the Funsville! http://www.ohio.com/news/this-arcade-fan-offers-a-token-of-appreciation-1.146314

If you look at the style and looks and age, I always thought that a lot of roles that went to Michael Douglas, could have been good for Don also. Mind you, I like Douglas, but would have liked to see how Don would have done Wallstreet, The game, A perfect murder just to name a few.Sae maybe for roles that went to Richard Gere, like Pretty woman, Final analysis etcetera.Don had star power in the late 80's, early 90's but unfortunately either he made wrong choices, his reputation with big studios were not good, or just simply bad luck. I am convinced he could have pulled roles off that went to the other Hollywood greats.

If you look at the style and looks and age' date=' I always thought that a lot of roles that went to Michael Douglas, could have been good for Don also. Mind you, I like Douglas, but would have liked to see how Don would have done Wallstreet, The game, A perfect murder just to name a few..
Some sweet movies there. Love The Game. I was just thinking of that movie and quoted from it to someone today and here I am reading this. Long time no see Menno!

Some sweet movies there. Love The Game. I was just thinking of that movie and quoted from it to someone today and here I am reading this. Long time no see Menno!

Thanks pal, likewise! Just been busy as hell, and no time to post as much as I wanted to. But still alive and kicking, nothing to worry :)

Thanks pal' date=' likewise! Just been busy as hell, and no time to post as much as I wanted to. But still alive and kicking, nothing to worry :)
Good to know :thumbsup::cool::D

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Believe it or not, Frank Sinatra had the first option on the Die Hard franchise due to the fact he starred in something the script was based on.