Buy My ebook and Contribute to Miamiviceonline

miamijimf

Thanks guys, posting it again,

Fellow Vice Fans,

I just published an improved and expanded version of my earlier guide titled â€œThe Magic City captured by Miami Vice, Scarface, Movies, and Burn Notice.† This version has more interesting info about Vice, 18 more locations, and more photos.  It now has 286 pages and is as up to date and as accurate as possible.  I didn’t write to make money but to contribute to the history of my home town.  I will donate half the proceeds to miamiviceonline.com just like I did with the first edition.  The site can use the money to keep operating.

Here is a description of the guide.

Miami was 80s America on steroids.  Miami Vice, Scarface, and certain 80s era Miami movies captured the frenetic energy of the time period.  These productions filmed everything from beach parties to the Vizcaya Mansion.  Along with the recent and popular TV show Burn Notice, filmed in Miami, these productions are known for their trend setting entertainment.  This illustrated guide reveals for the first time how these TV shows and movies can also be a resource for 80s culture and iconic locations.  The crime and drug problems during the 80s are described.  Miami Vice was the spark that put the area into full recovery and this guide tells how it happened.  Scarface and its influence on Miami Vice is covered.  Burn Notice continued the tradition of action oriented Miami shows and followed Vice’s lead.  Comparing its more modern views to the earlier productions illustrates the character of the 80s.  Burn Notice also is a window on today’s Miami.  As a resident during the Miami Vice years, I add a few personal observations.  Counter numbers indicate where 138 important locations (many now gone) and scenes showing 80s culture can be found on the inexpensive DVDs for all these shows.  Little known facts about every location are included.  Over 1,000 key locations and scenes in all five seasons of Miami Vice, all seven seasons of Burn Notice, and selected 80s era movies are listed.  All the classic 80s music played on Miami Vice is listed at the end.  Fans of these shows as well as those interested in the 80s, the history of Miami, or Art Deco will enjoy this book.

This work has taken me several years.  Miami historians Arva Parks and Dr. Paul George have praised the guide.

To purchase the guide you have to register free with LuLu, the on-line publisher, but they are trustworthy.

I have a large full color high quality paperback version that sells for $56.10 The site and I make exactly $1.08 per book because I have discounted it as much as the publisher will allow. 

Please go to http://www.lulu.com/...t-21861392.html

If that’s too expensive, check out my ebook in PDF format, same guide, but only $8.99. You can get it at http://www.lulu.com/...t-21876871.html

The site and I make exactly $7.20 for every ebook purchased.

If you don’t have a PDF reader you can get it free at http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Prefer to use an ebook reader like Kindle?  If your ebook reader won’t handle PDF files this free program will convert PDF to most reader formats: http://calibre-ebook.com/download 

For those who helped me in any way in compiling this guide, and you know who you are, let me know if you want a free copy in MS word and I will email it to you in two parts.  The publisher will not permit me to give anyone free access to the printed or PDF versions.

If you get it, please let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading all this.

Jim

• Thanks 1

I had not seen this before, so thank you for the update.  It sounds like a terrific book and I'll look forward to reading all the great information that you've compiled.  Thanks Jim, and kudos for all your hard work.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys, posting it again, some members only log in once a week or so. ,

Fellow Vice Fans,

I just published an improved and expanded version of my earlier guide titled â€œThe Magic City captured by Miami Vice, Scarface, Movies, and Burn Notice.† This version has more interesting info about Vice, 18 more locations, and more photos.  It now has 286 pages and is as up to date and as accurate as possible.  I didn’t write to make money but to contribute to the history of my home town.  I will donate half the proceeds to miamiviceonline.com just like I did with the first edition.  The site can use the money to keep operating.

Miami was 80s America on steroids.  Miami Vice, Scarface, and certain 80s era Miami movies captured the frenetic energy of the time period.  These productions filmed everything from beach parties to the Vizcaya Mansion.  Along with the recent and popular TV show Burn Notice, filmed in Miami, these productions are known for their trend setting entertainment.  This illustrated guide reveals for the first time how these TV shows and movies can also be a resource for 80s culture and iconic locations.  The crime and drug problems during the 80s are described.  Miami Vice was the spark that put the area into full recovery and this guide tells how it happened.  Scarface and its influence on Miami Vice is covered.  Burn Notice continued the tradition of action oriented Miami shows and followed Vice’s lead.  Comparing its more modern views to the earlier productions illustrates the character of the 80s.  Burn Notice also is a window on today’s Miami.  As a resident during the Miami Vice years, I add a few personal observations.  Counter numbers indicate where 138 important locations (many now gone) and scenes showing 80s culture can be found on the inexpensive DVDs for all these shows.  Little known facts about every location are included.  Over 1,000 key locations and scenes in all five seasons of Miami Vice, all seven seasons of Burn Notice, and selected 80s era movies are listed.  All the classic 80s music played on Miami Vice is listed at the end.  Fans of these shows as well as those interested in the 80s, the history of Miami, or Art Deco will enjoy this book.

This work has taken me several years.  Miami historians Arva Parks and Dr. Paul George have praised the guide.

To purchase the guide you have to register free with LuLu, the on-line publisher, but they are trustworthy.

I have a large full color high quality paperback version that sells for $56.10 The site and I make exactly $1.08 per book because I have discounted it as much as the publisher will allow. 

If that’s too expensive, check out my ebook in PDF format, same guide, but only $8.99. You can get it at http://www.lulu.com/...t-21876871.html

If you don’t have a PDF reader you can get it free at http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Prefer to use an ebook reader like Kindle?  If your ebook reader won’t handle PDF files this free program will convert PDF to most reader formats: http://calibre-ebook.com/download 

For those who helped me in any way in compiling this guide, and you know who you are, let me know if you want a free copy in MS word and I will email it to you in two parts.  The publisher will not permit me to give anyone free access to the printed or PDF versions.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this one more time.

Fellow Vice Fans,

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi friends, I'd buy this guide, the paper version. I'm just asking you if it's similar to the "Unofficial Miami vice episode guide" made by Thomas Foltyn, that I already bought from lulu.com.( that guide is awesome).

Is there a chance to read two/ three pages of that? , a preview just to see what I would buy?

Thank you

Alessio

• Administrators

Hi friends, I'd buy this guide, the paper version. I'm just asking you if it's similar to the "Unofficial Miami vice episode guide" made by Thomas Foltyn, that I already bought from lulu.com.( that guide is awesome).

Is there a chance to read two/ three pages of that? , a preview just to see what I would buy?

Thank you

Alessio

Tom's book is an episode guide, it's based on his episode guide located in this board, but the printed book is much more detailed than the online version. Jim's book is not an episode guide book but a location guide book. Due to copyright reasons I won't post an excerpt - but I'm sure Jim will do soon.

The book's introduction describes the history and culture of Miami before Miami Vice, but the main part deals with filming locations, their geographical position, their description and history and where and how their were used in several shows & movies, which take place in Miami (Miami Vice and Burn Notice are the main references, including timecode indication on the DVDs).

• Like 1

Dear wax0r,

Thanks for your interest in my book.  I would like to honor your request but am not sure which two pages to select.  Only two pages out of a total of 288 would be out of context because it is one complete story/guide.  Plus it might be considered a violation of my agreement with the on-line publisher.  Ell.a's above description and my post #32 above in this thread constitute a pretty good summary.  You can also ask the opinion of the members who have bought it. The ebook version is only $8.99 and you would be contributing to this web site.  

Later,

Jim

I bought the PDF version.

Thank you

Thanks wax0r (and others) for buying my book and contributing to the site.  When you get a chance let me know what you think about it/ suggestions etc.

• Administrators

I bought the PDF version.

Thank you

A good choice, pal!

I've never been to Miami - so far, but with this guide book and Google Earth I can imagine what I've missed. It's also very impressive to read in how many other movies and shows some of the MV locations appear (before and after the show). This book is a MUST HAVE for all fans of MV and Burn Notice and all who are interested in the historical and cultural development of this region. I've learned a lot of historical details, which are puzzle pieces of the whole painting "USA". A nice kind of historical lesson combined with my favorite show - who else could ask for more ... :cool:

• Like 2

• Administrators

I just noticed this thread about Jim's book.......but I have to figure out how to buy it and what a PDF and e book is.

Just to answer your questions:

You can buy it here: LULU.COM

PDF means Portable Document Format - A text file, which can be ready with an PDF reader you can get for free everywhere

An ebook can be a pdf file or another file format created especially for ebook readers like Kindl or others

In Jim's case it's a simple pdf, which can be read on every computer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just published a new version of the ebook in PDF format.  It is slightly more complete and up to date.  It's only $8.99.  So if you haven't bought it lately, or even if you have, go ahead and buy it and contribute to the cost of maintaining miamiviceonline.com.

Please go to: http://www.lulu.com/shop/col-james-staubach-us-army-retired/the-magic-city-captured-by-miami-vice-scarface-movies-and-burn-notice/ebook/product-22044631.html

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Just updated my ebook in PDF format "The Magic City Captured by Miami Vice, Scarface, Movies, and Burn Notice."  I added some new info and a few more locations and photos.  It's only $8.99 US.  So if you haven't bought it go ahead and buy it and contribute to the cost of maintaining miamiviceonline.com.

Please go to: http://www.lulu.com/...t-22044631.html

If you bought it already, I'll gladly send you an update by email attachment if you PM me and include your email address.

Thanks,

I bought the book in 2013 and just got the updated version. It is without a doubt a fantastic book to relive the 80s vice era we all love.

Buy it! You wont be disappointed!

Edited by sjako
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Just updated my ebook - "The Magic City Captured by Miami Vice, Scarface, Movies, and Burn Notice."  I added new info, new movies, and a few more locations and photos.  It's only $8.99 US.  I donate half the profits to this site.  So if you haven't bought it go ahead and buy it and contribute to the cost of maintaining miamiviceonline.com.  If you bought it already, I'll gladly send you an update by a large email attachment if you PM me and include your email address.  To buy it just click on the link in my signature below.  Thanks

Edited by miamijimf

• 1 year later...

Hi Jim,

I have a quick question. Is the print version as far up to date as the online version? I would like to get a print version for my book case to go beside my other Vice and Scarface printed materials. Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Scot from S.C. said:

Hi Jim,

I have a quick question. Is the print version as far up to date as the online version? I would like to get a print version for my book case to go beside my other Vice and Scarface printed materials. Thanks again!

Hey thanks for asking, I just updated the print version and approved it for distribution.  It's the most up to date.  I've discounted it to the max and make nothing from its sale.  That's OK because I only wrote it to contribute to the history of Vice and my hometown.  Can you still call that megalopolis a town?   Working on the ebook version. 

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

Thanks Jim! I appreciate your reply and the time and research you have contributed to this work. I am looking forward to reading it. Does Lulu have the latest print version, or is there a different site?

Will you let us know when you finish the e-book update too? 

Thanks again for the hard work and generosity. :)