Episode #82 "Baseballs Of Death"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

One of the better s4 eps. Lots of classic MV style in this one. Interesting Plot. Action is maybe sometimes too slow, but the final showdown is excellent - great boat chase and great music track (Shriekback - Running on the rocks, I love this one). Overall 8 out of 10 for me, but the finale alone is worth 10 out of 10. Crockett probably wears the same clothes like in S1 and S2 (finale).

Guest neworder

This episode almost seems like a flashback to season 2, the style, action etc all very season 2 esk. And i like that. This is a very significant episode in the series, it is the last time we ever see the beautiful scarab in action! Sure you see it stood still in S5 about twice, but the last time we hear the beautiful beast roaring around the waterways of Miami. The chase is very good, let down by re-used season 1 footage of a completely different boat. I mean what were they thinking, as if no one would notice. This was a huge disapointment and ruins a chase that starts fantastically. The scarab sounds superb. The rest of the episode is well done, involves the whole vice cast in one way or another, has some decent characters like Guerrero. Liked the club scene where Guerrero's body guard tries to pay the pretty hot lady to entertain Guerrero. Also, why did all the ladies in this scene seem to have their hair slicked back? still nice scene. The music was good all the way through, jan hammer/petersons stuff was good but not as classy as earlier seasons. The clothes were good, looking very season 2 for the most part. What else do i like hmmmm..well basically i like the whole episode, i think its very very good. I give this episode a 9/10. I would give it 10/10 if wasn't for the damn annoying re-use of old footage in the last scene and some poor editing in the boat chase. Death and the Lady and Mirror Image just about beat this as my fave season 4 episode. This is a damn good episode, one of my faves of the series so yeah 9/10!

I find the story line just al little thin it just didn't grasp me. To me it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.I did not like the acting of the guest actorsWhen Guerroro meets the arms dealer for the first time there is nice touch with the guns on turning display'sSonny sounds in differents part of this ep like he had cold.Stan frase: When he is right, he is right.:thumbsup::thumbsup:The music was great, I really liked the way most scenes were made and filmed ( technical) for example the camera at the front of the scareb.So for the mood of this ep and the little details a 7 from me

This one gets an 8 from me. One of the best episodes of such weak and uneven season.However,it's not impeccable. The major flaw is using of stock footage during the final showdown. That spoiled the scene for me...Other that that,this ep is very good.

• Like 1

I give this episode a solid 7. It really depicted how someone in the highest ranks of federal law enforcement, in this case, a DEA agent, could be swayed to conspire with an arms merchant to appease a nation, so that they would denounce communism.

• Like 1

The music was great' date=' I really liked the way most scenes were made and filmed ( technical) for example the camera at the front of the scareb.[/quote']I agree, as this was right around the time that miniature camreas were being used and perfected in auto racing and also boat racing. One of the best uses of these cameras is to stay with the camera for a while, so that the viewer will get immersed in the experience, and begin to sense that he is actually on the car, or boat, or aircraft. The director used this perfectly, and might have been tempted to use the newest "MTV style" fast editing, which would have totally ruined the on-board footage. This was a director that "got it".Mega thumbs up for Bill Duke , who was the director is this episode.

"Baseballs of Death" is a return to the original style of Miami Vice! Good camera work as we see hookers in the streets( you can almost touch them ), nice Caddy, a guy with a huge Boom box, slick 80's hair-do's & clothes. Sonny is back to white jacket & pastel shirts. I like the yellow one with the 7 hooks! Cool confrontation at the Chalk's airport with the sleaze-ball, Guerrero. Great music to intensify the action in the boat chase. BTW, take note of how the Scarab becomes a Chris Craft & then a Scarab again at the end. This was brought to my attention in the Episode guide section under goofs or bloopers. Also, Guerrero's boat looked like it was on an Evil Kienevil launch ramp when it went airborne & then exploded into the island. I felt sorry for the prostitute, Cinder & the poor fisherman who tried to help the plane. Guerrero was ruthless & cold blooded! Not my favorite episode but enjoyable with good action, music & scenery. I give it 7.5/10 I give it a 7 for this poll.

• Like 2

What an excellent episode, love the opening, love the acting, love the explosive finale, I agree with Tony D., this was a return to the original style of Miami Vice.I give it a 9.

• Like 1

Good intro..great ending, loved the standoff at the Chalk's terminal (My friend worked there in the 80's) 8/10...Ugly Betty's dad sure was a bad dude!:D

• 8 months later...

really liked this one after the last few bad ones. can't recall it in detail..watching one ep after another, kinda hard to keep it all apart ;-) but I remember the music and the nice boat chase. gave it a 6 for now (I'm sure there are much better ones to come)

• 6 months later...

"If this was Hong Kong (oops I mean my country), you would be dead by now."So this is where Richard Donnor and the writers got that overused phrase Jet Li repeated in Lethal Weapon 4.LOL!Having ROTC Doug Neidermeyer as a DEA Agent, but he doesn't humilate and scream at anyone.F-A-I-L!One of the better ones of S4, still not high on my replay list.This is my 2nd time watching it.6/10

• 1 year later...

This ones pretty good. Some decent action and the beginning was pretty good.The pastels and fashion were back in this episode, too...very reminiscent of Season 2, and that was probably my favorite aspect to this one. :thumbsup:The music was pretty cool too, with Running on the Rocks by Shriekback, Breakaway by Big Pig, Pump Up the Volume by M/A/R/R/S, etc... Of course Jan Hammer's themes are always awesome! :radio:The plot was okay too, I guess with an illegal weapons dealer Crockett and Tubbs are after. But, I don't know...this one just doesn't necessarily stand out that much to me. It's not bad at all, but it's not special or memorable. But the ending boat chase (besides using old stock footage that was sped up to look like a "fast" chase) was pretty cool...good action.But, again, this episode really isn't that captivating...more of a really good "filler" than a superb or awesome episode that most fans will remember or talk about. I gave it a 7.

Running on the Rocks by Shriekback, Breakaway by Big Pig, Pump Up the Volume by M/A/R/R/S, etc... Of course Jan Hammer's themes are always awesome! :radio:The plot was okay too, I guess with an illegal weapons dealer Crockett and Tubbs are after. But, I don't know...this one just doesn't necessarily stand out that much to me. It's not bad at all, but it's not special or memorable. But the ending boat chase (besides using old stock footage that was sped up to look like a "fast" chase) was pretty cool...good action.But, again, this episode really isn't that captivating...more of a really good "filler" than a superb or awesome episode that most fans will remember or talk about. I gave it a 7.

Remember though, A filler episode still stands out between a bunch of turds :) jk

Remember though' date=' A filler episode still stands out between a bunch of turds :) jk[/quote']LOL :) , well it definitely stands out compared to "Missing Hours" or "Cows of October"...but it still isn't that amazing of an episode. It's okay though, and I like it "well" enough.
Great episode and locations :shout::D:thumbsup:
There were some good filming locations...and I did LOVE the pastels everywhere again!

• 1 year later...

Best of season 4. Good action, great guest starring by Michael Des Barres,

and the fact that everyone of the OCB had an equal amount of screen time gets a thumbs up from me.

Music was OK but nothing memorable. Story was well thought out; the ending boat chase was neat, and Guerrero's boat exploding,

thus saving/sparing his victim (the woman he took hostage) was a decent way to put an end to a "bad guy",

instead of them always being gunned down.

Overall a fantastic episode.

8½/10

Edited by Markwey

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

This is more like it. One of the best of S4.

Cool opening. Did the pimp remind anyone else of Johnny Depp. Cinder was pretty easy on the eyes.

I really like the guy who played Guererro. One of the best S4 villains up there with Glanz, Mosca, and Hackman.

The thing I really like about this one is the return to the classic MV style.

Good music and scenery.

Cool boat chase apart from the stock footage.

The plot is kind of like Lethal Weapon 2.

9/10

4 hours ago, Remington said:

This is more like it. One of the best of S4.

Cool opening. Did the pimp remind anyone else of Johnny Depp. Cinder was pretty easy on the eyes.

I really like the guy who played Guererro. One of the best S4 villains up there with Glanz, Mosca, and Hackman.

The thing I really like about this one is the return to the classic MV style.

Good music and scenery.

Cool boat chase apart from the stock footage.

The plot is kind of like Lethal Weapon 2.

9/10

Great review - great episode :hippie:

• 3 months later...

Just watched this one. Such a great script. Tony Plana is really great, too. Also, I'm always impressed with John Petersen's score in this episode. All the cues are awesome. Good song choices with Gene Loves Jezebel and Big Pig, too!

48 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

I wish all of Season 4 was of this quality.

Well said. "Death and The Lady" is right there, too. Maybe the word "death" is the ticket. :) 

• 1 year later...