What happened to fashion in general?

Viceguy

Is it just me or is the fashion of today really bland and unimaginative. I mean, compared to the previous decades (40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s) there are no any distinctive features or trends that can be considered representative of the current decade. It just seems to me that fashion nowadays is really watered down and cut down to the very basics.And it's been that way since the 90s. It's either recycling the old ideas or a complete bore.Also, nothing is really in or out of style anymore ( as long as it is not considered to be hopelessly outdated).There are no really extremely widespread, popular-with -almost-everybody trends. Now,if you look at the 70s or the 80s you will see that there were really widespread trends that became representative of those decades and rightfully so.(for example bell-botoms in the 70s, wearing shirts over lapels,etc) 80s - big hair, shoulder pads).These days...It's really hard to tell what is really " all the rage".PS Hope there weren't too many mistakes and mispellings. English is not my native language.

Well when you look at all of the different styles out there, everything that's come before it kind of seems like its all been done before and like no one wants to try anything new because of that.plus with the internet, MTV and everything else when something new comes out it quickly becomes the accepted norm before its even gotten a chance of really being well neat, new and novel after all the coolest things are the things that no one knows about, and nowadays unless its some sort of watch I doubt you can really keep it under wraps, so you've got that working against you.and with those old and well known styles people have a tendancy to treat them as sacrosanct and sacred, rather than going you know I like this about it, but not that, let me try something new with it. after all just like Music, Automobiles and Computers fashion is an evolution of the times and a reaction to it, which is why retro music which I just heard on two commercials getting my hair donenamely that of Duran Duran's Girls On Film, is coming back as its a reaction to all of the boring crap we have now and the drug music called dubstep that's rigged up to intensify the effect of the drugs hence why it sounds like the beats of a heart. which sounds like utter noise to me is creating that reaction to it as I doubt the royalties to that classic song are cheap. So I wouldnt loose hope about it, as the modern crap has always been just that.So just take what you like and what you dont and mix it until you get a match you like and pay no attention to the philistines as James May would put it as a classic will always be classic, regardless of what the philistines say of it, just look up the names Jaguar Mark 2, 427 Cobra and 250 GTO from the automotive world if you need proof of that. as in the 1970's no one wanted those cars, now look at them. and chances are if you follow my advice then in 6 month's they'll try copying you instead lolalthough god almighty I'm getting sick of the rehashes of the 1960's styles of suits nowadays, like the ones Jane is wearing in the mentalist with that ugly vest and what the guys in suits wear, those dark blue, grey tweed like coats with no flash to themso god damn dreary.... hell is living like that. and it makes me wish people would actually dress like this instead

although japan is known for being the wild bunch these days but well honestly it seems like they might be the worst in that regard when it comes to fashion, but atleast there doing something different too.

Heck yeah, Killer 7 again! :clap:Speaking of Japan, my impression is the manner of dress is modern and conservative, but 'smart' i.e. crisp and fashionable. I'm hearing in the summer, men are ditching their ties, typically wait for the prime minister to do so and follow suit. I don't like it's ring, but they call it "cool biz". It's actually supposed to be part of an energy saving campaign, the idea being the AC doesn't have to be cranked to loosen up the collar. Men often wear a light shirt with dark trousers. The majority of women I see dress really well. are able to pull off skirts and blouses, and often do. A lot of casual dress incorporates English script: from back pockets on jeans, to colorful slogan t-shirt stuff, Old Gravy type novelty Ts. Also, shorts are permissible, I see a lot more than I thought I would.As for MV, I am going to take a look on Ebay and look for used '80s gear, like the type of shirt Switek wears here:Eingefügtes Bild

What kinds of search terms are you guys using on eBay for vintage clothes?I really want that Switek shirt. Don't worry, I won't try and muscle in on the blazers, I am more of a Stan/Larry fashionista.

lol well the funny thing is I've been noticing the Japanese really like to copy ours and everyone elses styles and then call it something else.which now learning it applies to fashion I guess I shouldnt be that surprised as in the past couple of days I've been doing research into a Ferrari V6 powered fiat called the Fiat Dino that my old man looked into back in his day while he was working in italy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuqFUnbIx-s and it turns out at the same damn time Isuzu, yes Isuzu of all people who are known for making this over herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Amigomade a clone of it with a 4 cylinder engine called the 117 from that time period to 1982

while the dino lasted from 1968 to 1977and then just yesterday wasabi cars posted this, a straight minicooper clone
so I guess now that fashion has been getting kind of boring I shouldnt be surprised there going back to the past for their influence and nicking it from Miami ViceI'm not offended but yeah the name needs to go, atleast call it what it is, a rogue business type.hell come to think of it I think Chow Yun Fat in the old John Woo films from the 1980's was wearing very Vice Esque looks in china, so maybe they got a retro thing happening right now too and its spilling over into japan. just look up the old films A Better Tomorrow and (The Killer) 1989 on youtube to see what I mean and hell the famous Hard Boiled from 1990 had a guy on a sail ship at the Harbor JUST LIKE Sonny at the end complete with a shootout at the harbor, something we never saw in vice outside of the hitlist at 1:53

What kinds of search terms are you guys using on eBay for vintage clothes?I really want that Switek shirt. Don't worry' date=' I won't try and muscle in on the blazers, I am more of a Stan/Larry fashionista.[/quote']well usually I think silk windbreakers and blasers and just see what shows up from this info cooper gave me awhile back that I made a point to save to a text file:"Yes. ROBERT STOCK was the company you mentioned. That was not synthetic silk, it was procured from the Far East. It is a Luxury fabric that he decided to use for some of his clothing line. I own many silk jackets from them.robert stock is a designer for the Robert Graham companyparachute clothing hugo bossExtreme blue-green-grey-yellow contrasts - stones warThe shirt that Sonny is wearing when he is with Tubbs and Lombard, is actually a peach colored shirt, not pink.It's a 100% cotton three button "Henley" shirt. It was most likely made by a company called, "Double Swan". They cost the show $15.00-18.00 each, until they decided to buy them in bulk. It then dropped the price to $3.50 each.The shirts have been out of production for about 25 years now.That particular episode was filmed more than 25 years ago, as it's actual filming dates for that episode was March 15-25 1985."as I had been looking into the windbreakers they had in S3, the kind of stuff that would be vice ish without drawing heavy attention to you like what would happen if you walked down the street in the out where the busses dont run look although with a white WINDBREAKER it probably wouldnt draw that much attention and the windbreaker I was asking about in that particular instance were the S5 ones which were inexpensive because of the information above the other thing with the stan and zito thing would probably be button up shirts, hell strangely enough looking on the Galco website a few days ago they used a model wearing what looks like could have been a vice shirt from S3so I'd add that to the list, but also JC penny has been having, or had some vice like Button up shirts and T shirts namely that of the stafford line, along with the hanes/op line I think they sell at wallmart that looked very vice ish that would probably be worth a look.

post-592-13892965781518_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965781932_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965782229_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965782533_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965782872_thumb.jpg

From the time I've been in high school from '09-'12,the most notable fashion I knew from there was...ummm...there really wasn't any that I could think of.Most of everyone that I know wore hunting camo,some emo styles,but mostly everyone wore regular shirts,hoodies,and some polos.I haven't seen anything remarkable style wise lately.The hipster look I really hate with the unshaven look,mix-mash of other clothes,Starbucks,bed hair,and there whole ditching a certain style and band because it "turned mainstream".The one thing I'm afraid of when I go out dressing the Vice style is if someone thinks its hipster which would be terrible:hot:So far I got nothing but good comments when I dress Vice so I guess the Vice look still holds up:thumbsup:I can't see any style that defines the 2010's except maybe the R&B culture.In the '80s you got a bunch of interesting styles like the Valley girl,New Romantic,New Wave,Miami Vice,thrasher,ect.Now you have the emo,hipster,guido,and thats all that I can think of now which tells alot.:)

I think one of the things that happened is that, at least for men, the idea of being slob became some sort of masculine ideal or trait.Different cultural norms around the country probably affect things as well. Many places just don't have a history of fashion and good clothing. People just go with what is functional in these areas. Which isn't bad, but it is a shame. When you dress nicely and look good you feel fantastic. :thumbsup:Oh and climate obviously affects things. When you live in very hot humid climates, you don't want to wear the nice layers of clothing you might wear if you lived in a city like San Francisco (it is always cool and comfortable there). Going out everywhere in a suit and tie and what not just becomes insane.

as in the past couple of days I've been doing research into a Ferrari V6 powered fiat called the Fiat Dino that my old man looked into back in his day while he was working in italy

I might have mentioned this to you before a couple of years ago, but I had a girlfriend with a black FIAT Dino convertible. This was back in the late 80's. It was a lot of fun to zip around in. I didn't believe her when she first told me it had a Ferrari engine. I'll have to do some research on them sometime soon. Are you looking into them to buy?

I'm looking into it as a curiosity piece and trying to learn from it. as I had been looking up 70's car chase scenes and one of them had one in it, a spyder, I think it was this one

and I was wondering why cars like it and the commonly used as a police car Alfa Romeo Guiletta were outhandling and outperforming probably most american cars of that time period.
by a HUGE margin, those suckers were moving like a bat out of helldespite having half the horsepower, and I had only come across the 117 by chance and then suddenly it clicked, hey wait a minute that's a copy of the dino that my old man looked at back then and thus I decided to use it as an exampleplus its a cool ass car too.

By the way with the Zito and Switek clothes from S3, looking at that Burn Notice auction Sam's clothing looks oddly VERY close to the stuff they wore http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8280&stc=1&d=1377742210http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8282&stc=1&d=1377742251http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8281&stc=1&d=1377742241http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMMY-BAHAMA-Mens-L-S-Blue-100-Linen-Shirt-XXL-/300951371033?pt=US_CSA_MC_Shirts&hash=item4612197d19http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8283&stc=1&d=1377742255https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=70321the brand is called Tommy Bahama by the way, hell I half wonder if maybe crockett's shirt in the pilot was originally made by them or their forerunner.and also I was switching through on AMC and they had Michale Mann on for a sec talking about the negative effects of Pan and Scan on movies but he was also wearing a suit and undershirt that pretty much matched Sonny's Clothes from S3 herehttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8284&stc=1&d=1377742571mind you the pants matched the jacket and the grey was off a touch along with the yellow so it didnt look as good, but still it was obvious where it came from.and as a bonushttp://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMMY-BAHAMA-CASUAL-SHIRT-LONG-SLEEVE-MULTI-COLOR-COTTON-MEN-LARGE-16-5-34-35-/400562682229?pt=US_CSA_MC_Shirts&hash=item5d43657975

post-592-13892965789204_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965789509_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965789831_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965790664_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965791466_thumb.jpg

If you're looking for the kind of shirts Zito and sometimes Switek wears, Google "guayabera". You'll be amazed at all the shirts in this category. I have a couple.

If you're looking for the kind of shirts Zito and sometimes Switek wears' date=' Google "guayabera". You'll be amazed at all the shirts in this category. I have a couple.[/quote']thanks, I'll look around a bit latter for it.

FashionIt seems to me as I look around at the younger generation I see baggy pants with butt cracks showing and I would just like to slap these bums in the back of the head. When my wife and I go out I always try to look my best. It just makes sense to me. I have been told by both men and women it is nice to see a couple dressed nicely. I had family visit this past weekend and since I live only an hour from Las Vegas we went and spent a day there. I got out my vice clothing and my step daughter loved the colors I was wearing. Here we are. Can you guess which one is me? :D

post-701-13892965802566_thumb.jpg

Nice look Vicefan7777!I agree that the bar is dropped when it comes to todays fashion.The bar is dropped on music today IMHO.Every big star it seems has music done by a sound mix with hardly any instruments used.It all just sounds the same,in all,something I just can't listen to for periods of time.Though there is hope,months ago I was at the mall and I heard this little modern gem!After trying to pick up the lyrics,I found it it is by a Canadian electrofunk duo called Chromeo.

I think one of the things that happened is that' date=' at least for men, the idea of being slob became some sort of masculine ideal or trait.QUOTE']Amen, brother...amen. Can't stand the dumbing down of men's 'fashion' in the U.S. It's now okay to dress like a total **** head. I attribute this to a couple of things: 1. The explosion of tough guy tattoo/harley culture. Lifted trucks and shaved heads have made it seem forgivable to have a gut which translates to baggy shirts and jeans. We've become a culture of "f you, I don't care what you think." So we're surrounded by slobs who translate "I don't care" to dressing as though they really don't care. Add over-sized football jerseys to the mix. One of the reasons I don't care about football season. The bars are crowded with drunk macho idiots on the weekends. We've become slaves to the NFL marketing machine like sheep in a flock. Suckers.2. Rap music/thug life as a cultural and fashion statement. Oversized jeans, t-shirts, hats. Gaudy gold chains and other jewelery. No rhyme nor reason to it all. Just slovenly and messy.Every now and then I'll throw on a Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry video. Bryan Ferry is still very fashionable and maintains a unique but appropiate look. I swear Michael Mann had Bryan Ferry in mind when Crockett's costume design was discussed.I'll get off my platform now.

• 4 weeks later...
Great pic' date=' Vicefan7777. You look like your visiting from France.[/quote']Thanks for the comments. I actually live only 60 miles from Vegas. Love to dress up when I go there with my wife.

lol oh god those wife beaters, I've never liked the look of those damn things.it's always been T shirts for me, and to me those things, the wife beaters look like they belong in the past along with the tighty whities.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

I've seen that "tights" are in fashion now for guys. Tights which girls wear, but now for guys with a bunch of gay patterns on them. I could not believe my eyes at the amount of homosexual I had seen in todays clothing. 

• 2 years later...
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM, cageyJG said:

Heck yeah, Killer 7 again! :clap:Speaking of Japan, my impression is the manner of dress is modern and conservative, but 'smart' i.e. crisp and fashionable. I'm hearing in the summer, men are ditching their ties, typically wait for the prime minister to do so and follow suit. I don't like it's ring, but they call it "cool biz". It's actually supposed to be part of an energy saving campaign, the idea being the AC doesn't have to be cranked to loosen up the collar. Men often wear a light shirt with dark trousers. The majority of women I see dress really well. are able to pull off skirts and blouses, and often do. A lot of casual dress incorporates English script: from back pockets on jeans, to colorful slogan t-shirt stuff, Old Gravy type novelty Ts. Also, shorts are permissible, I see a lot more than I thought I would.As for MV, I am going to take a look on Ebay and look for used '80s gear, like the type of shirt Switek wears here:Eingefügtes Bild

What kind of jacket is Sonny wearing there?