Trouble Accessing the Site (Possibly hacked?)

agent 47

Glad it's back' date=' I was getting concerned that one of our former members might've hijacked it![/quote']That was my thinking as well. Someone was pretty intent on disrupting us, and as we know, there's likely only one person/group of people I can think of that would be salty enough to try!So glad everything's back up and running! :clap::clap::clap:

That was my thinking as well. Someone was pretty intent on disrupting us' date=' and as we know, there's likely only one person/group of people I can think of that would be salty enough to try!So glad everything's back up and running! :clap::clap::clap:[/quote']So...may I ask who and/or what group would be intent on doing this? Someone banned in the past, former .org people, "Miami Vice" haters (and who the heck would hate this superb show anyway? ;) ), and why would they be so intent on destroying this site?? :eek: I've been a member here for about 5 years, and used to be on .org before, and I can't imagine why someone would want to ruin a fan site for the show--unless they had a personal reason. Just curious...and a little worried this will continue (and we'll end up losing the site for good) unless they get way better security. :sick:

So...may I ask who and/or what group would be intent on doing this? Someone banned in the past' date=' former .org people, "Miami Vice" haters (and who the heck would hate this superb show anyway? ;) ), and why would they be so intent on destroying this site?? :eek: I've been a member here for about 5 years, and used to be on .org before, and I can't imagine why someone would want to ruin a fan site for the show--unless they had a personal reason. Just curious...and a little worried this will continue (and we'll end up losing the site for good) unless they get way better security. :sick:[/quote']I was referring to some of the malcontents that used to inhabit .org, several of which, IIRC, could be quite persistent in their attempts to disrupt civility. Of course, a banned member that had nothing to with .org could also have been trying to "get even." Obviously, I don't know any that for sure, I was more or less just speculating, but I can't understand why someone with nothing to do with us would pick this site out of the blue to mess with. What would they gain from it? I suppose it's possible some enterprising young hacker could have set his sights on us in order to flex his figurative muscles.

I've finally been able to come on here after 2 weeks..but this site is still running slow..Who has enough time to hack a niche 80s cop show forum? talk about sad..They could of hacked the starsky and hutch forums instead:D

know any that for sure, I was more or less just speculating, but I can't understand why someone with nothing to do with us would pick this site out of the blue to mess with. What would they gain from it? I suppose it's possible some enterprising young hacker could have set his sights on us in order to flex his figurative muscles.

Yeah...you could be right. It does seem weird that security problems and "hackings" continue to be an issue. Why would someone pick this site to harass and hijack...unless they had a personal reason. ;) People need to get lives and grow up! :evil: I had a horrible experience once on another show's fan site...but I didn't try to get "revenge" by hacking the site (not that I'd know how cause I don't :) ) or going "crazy" on other members. I just left. After all, they're just fan sites on old TV shows...they don't rule my life. :p Some people are pathetic! :sick:

I've finally been able to come on here after 2 weeks..but this site is still running slow..Who has enough time to hack a niche 80s cop show forum? talk about sad..They could of hacked the starsky and hutch forums instead:D

LOL!!!! :) I agree...why not mess with "Starsky & Hutch" instead--or why not "Columbo" forums? :birdie:

• Administrators

Hi,I don't believe that the site hacking was agains our forum, Miami Vice or any person in general.There was a security hole in our vBulletin Forum software. So I think this was not against us and there were other forums affected as well.Also I don't believe that a former member of .org hacked our site. Can this continue in the future? I really don't know. All we can do is keep our server and our forum up to date. That's why I'm going to bring our forum to the newest vBulletin version 5. Upgrading our existing forum to vB5 causes still trouble and I'm in contact with vBulletin support. Let's see what happens.BTW: with moving our site to the new server (which i did with the re-installation last weekend) we cancelled some of our domains to reduce costs.Currently available domains are:www.miamiviceonline.com (this is our "main" domain)www.miamivice.eu (forwarded to miamiviceonline.com)www.miamivice.info (forwarded to miamiviceonline.com)I'm sorry for the users who were used to the .ws domain. But .com domains are cheaper and we have a higher Google ranking since we switched to the .com domain.So please update your browser bookmarks to one of the domains above.

www.miamiviceonline.com (this is our "main" domain)www.miamivice.eu (forwarded to miamiviceonline.com)www.miamivice.info (forwarded to miamiviceonline.com)I'm sorry for the users who were used to the .ws domain. But .com domains are cheaper and we have a higher Google ranking since we switched to the .com domain.So please update your browser bookmarks to one of the domains above.

That's what I thought, it was hard for me to believe that our "disaffected former members" would have the technical expertise to hack into a web site. We appreciate all your time and efforts Chris.

• Administrators
That's what I thought' date=' it was hard for me to believe that our "disaffected former members" would have the technical expertise to hack into a web site. We appreciate all your time and efforts Chris.[/quote']Jim, I remember a time when our buddy srobak contacted Randolph and offered to host .org on his own private server. Now, was that just more of the usual srobak BS or does he have skills other than running his mouth? Believe me, when I found out that we were hacked, a disgruntled former member was the first thing that came to mind! Chris says no but if he had been through what we all went through on .org, he may have thought the same thing.

Jim' date=' I remember a time when our buddy srobak contacted Randolph and offered to host .org on his own private server. Now, was that just more of the usual srobak BS or does he have skills other than running his mouth? Believe me, when I found out that we were hacked, a disgruntled former member was the first thing that came to mind! Chris says no but if he had been what we all went through on .org, he may have thought the same thing.[/quote']THAT was the exact person that came to mind! But, if other forums were affected as well, I don't know.No matter, we're up and running now, and that's what's important, so to all that helped get us going again, THANK YOU! :clap::clap::clap:

• Administrators
THAT was the exact person that came to mind! But' date=' if other forums were affected as well, I don't know.[/quote']Probably just a little healthy paranoia on my part Lar! ;)

I hope that no one specifically hacked the site...that's just sad and pathetic. I know there were major problems on .org and I hope none of those happen here. I'm just glad the site is up and running, and I'm sure upgrading servers and security will definitely help...unbelievable thanks to all who work on, and help make this site possible!! :thumbsup::clap:

That's what I thought' date=' it was hard for me to believe that our "disaffected former members" would have the technical expertise to hack into a web site. We appreciate all your time and efforts Chris.[/quote']We do as Jim says appreciate all you and Lou do :thumbsup::cool::D

Jim' date=' I remember a time when our buddy srobak contacted Randolph and offered to host .org on his own private server. Now, was that just more of the usual srobak BS or does he have skills other than running his mouth? Believe me, when I found out that we were hacked, a disgruntled former member was the first thing that came to mind! Chris says no but if he had been through what we all went through on .org, he may have thought the same thing.[/quote']Never knew that Lou - or the other chap acampuller .:thumbsdown: