Calling all CAR GUYS!

Stinger390X

Just saw one of the best car movies I have ever seen in my life!I always rated "Hotrod" from 1979 with the story of the old 64 Dodge he rolls at the beginning of the film and then takes his Hemi and shoehorns it into a 40' Willy's to race against the local bad boy, was my favourite car movie of all time for over twenty years.

Well.................last night I discovered a movie that came out in 2009 starring Eric Bana called "Love the Beast" It's the true story of his 1974 Ford Falcon GTB that he owned since he was 15 years old. Now he is a world famous movie star so he put a few dollars into restoring the old car to race it. The movie is all about his love for the car and how he is so attached to it. They interview Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear, Dr Phil puts his two cents in and Jay Leno, a car guy himself in real life, is also in the movie/If you are a piston head like I am and grew up with Muscle cars, you will absolutely love this movie. I'm sure that guys like Kavinsky, Ferrariman, Victor, Icemanmike, Jurasic narc and many others will appreciate this movie for what it is.

It was AWESOME!!!Highly recommended..........................................................................

Edited by Stinger390X

I'm checking this two movies right now and in a hour or so will start to watch either one.thanks for a good suggestion for what to watch Stinger390X

Hotrod I first saw on the late show on TV back in 1980. Taped it onto VHS and watched with my buddies about a thousand times. We can all make quotes from it at any call! hahahahahaha. There is a guy here in Niagara Falls who had a grey primered Willy's just like the one in the movie and it had a 389 Pontiac motor in it for the longest time. Recently though its been painted and upgraded with a new drivetrain as well.As for my VHS copy it is almost unviewable and I was very fortunate to find a coy on DVD, I special ordered it.This Eric Bana movie really touched a heart string for me personally though!A few others you might check out are:Fast Lane Fever - as titled here in Canada, but I believe it was called Running on Empty in the rest of the world? is an Australian movie made about the early 80's as well about a 4 door Falcon racing a 70 Dodge Challenger whi is the bad guy. The Falcon meets a guy in the outback who is blind who has a black 57 Chevy that is blown. I'll leave the rest of the story line for you to discover. Good movie!!!Hollywood Knights - story takes place on Halloween night 1965 about a car club having fun and learning about life. Many subplots and movie is both hilarious and touching, but real car motivated movie.Two Lane Blacktop - I loved this movie since I first saw it many years ago. I just managed to get a special Criterion Collection extended DVD and I have a funny story related to this movie.Many years ago I lived in Woodstock Ontario where I went to highschool and grew up in the car culture with my pals. One night we were cruising and doing laps out on the town, when one of the older guys we knew showed up at our cruise spot with a black 57 Chevy. The car was rough and had slider plexiglass windows in the doors and he told us he just bought one of the three cars used in "AMERICAN GRAFFITTI" We just laughed it off as a tall tale as the movie had just come out the year before and we all saw the movie and was aware of the car that Harrison Ford was driving. Many years passed by and I eventually moved on, but this guy had the car for a couple of decades and then sold it.While watching the Criterion Collection DVD there was an accompanying disc that explained the history of the car and how a guy in the states restored it to the original beat up version in grey like the movie "Two Lane Blacktop" It mentions him going to Canada to see the previous owner to get the original lightweight doors that were leaning up against a fence in a bodyshop compound. Well low and behold I recognised the yard and could not believe that this guy was telling the truth all these years!!! We,..us kids at the time, could not believe this guy travelled to the states to buy a movie car as that was really rare back in 1976. Just goes to show you that you have to give everyone a chance at their word. Anyway the guy from the states put the lightweight doors back on and rebuilt the car to the exact specs as the movie and is driving it right now. It's just weird that I had such close contact with the iconic vehicle.

I think I've had it on the list for quite some time lol, ugh I really need to start ordering films in or figure out how to use that TV movie rental thing that comes with FIOS.as I lost the Video Exchange about 6 years ago and that was the end of renting movies for a weekend for me, as I just prefered to support someone I know and to have the physical copies in my hand.also another lot of car movies that are good would beRonin (1995)High speed chases all over france and Europe in high end Sports sedans in this spy thriller featuring Robert De Nero and Jean Reno of "The Professional" fame, along with Johnathan Price, in high end Audi's and BMW's from the early 1990'sThe Italian Job (1969)A good fun heist Film with Vintage Mini Coopers, E type's and a DB4 Volante that is infinitely quotable and don't worry they didnt actually destroy a Miura or an E Type in it. hell I even managed to get a girlfriend to sit down and watch it with me as she was a big Michael Caine fan, and she enjoyed it too, something that is very rare these days.so it should have enough humor to keep all non car people attached to it.Vanishing Point (1970)This is a must for any mopar fan, think Easy Rider with cars mixed in with a story of a burned out war hero in a brand new 1970 ChallengerThe Blues Brothers (1980)if there is one car film that everyone should see by law its probably this one lol, 1974 Dodge Monaco Heavenalso I've been hearing good things about that new Ron Howard Film Rush, made by the same guy who made Apollo 13, about racing back in the 1970's

I have "Vanishing Point" but did not think they did the car scenes justice. The story line is weak but the Challenger is rather cool though! It's good but sadly not one of my favourites.I love the Blues Brothers and it is hilarious!!!I just saw "Rush" at the theatres two days ago. Howard did a fabulous job and this film will become a classic immediately! Superb filming and the shots of the Formula ! cars in action is amazing! See it on the big screen if you get the chance as it is definitely worth it!!!!!!!!!I also love the Minis in both the Italian Jobs. I have a bit more of an infinity for the original, but the re-make was rather well done as well.Gone in Sixty seconds has also been a favourite of mine. I have the absolute original on VHS and then I bought a DVD with newly found footage added and a commentary from Hal's wife added and the music scene in the original was changed from country to modern rock ballad. I didn't like the "Nick cage remake" just for the fact that they used too much CGI and the car jump was just too unreal to believe?

Yeah it seemed to be one of those movies that came out at just the right time to be a cult classic, namely with the end of the muscle car era and using one of the last entrants into it as the lead ride and the background of him being a war vet at that time period.and both versions of the italian job were good, its just that the remake was more the LA job than the italian job, almost like they wanted to make it a sequel, the one that was never made for the original just done today.just with them using a boat for the gold instead of the mini's and the busses at first, and they havent managed to get around to making that ones sequel either.Well with the remake of gone in 60 seconds I honestly thought the car could have looked better, like it needed the original front, hood and back ends along with maybe thicker tires to really work.and maybe used the latter shelby that never really gets alot of attention, like make a hotrod version of this:http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_63469-S...-500-1970.htmlin addition to that jump sequence, would it have been that hard to make a simple jump over the ambulance and maybe two cars like in the original.

In the original "Gone", the Mustang was a 73'. This also was the last of an era as all cars, GM Chrys and Ford were downsizing for the first energy crisis of the century!The cars all became little grocery getters with 4 cylinders with junk like the Pinto, the Vega etc were being made. That is why in "Gone" I love seeing all the classic cars and the big boat anchors. I also laugh at those kids in the 65 Caddy lowrider! They are comedy relief for that movie!In the new Gone, they decided to use a Shelby and I for one was not impressed as I hate it when any classic car is crashed when there are such low limited numbers...even if its a dressed car as parts are also rare such as spoilers etc. Its funny as back when Dukes of Hazzard was being filmed the Chrysler Club of America wrote the show complaining they were killing all the Chargers too fast! There were approximately 8-10 totalled every shooting day! Eventually there would be none left?Cool thing about the original Gone is that Hal spent a lot of his own money to buy the 94 cars that were smashed in the original film! Remember when he drives the Mustang into the Cadillac Dealership? If you think about it when it was filmed those were brand new Cadillacs! There goes a few bucks................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Hollywood!!!Thanks for the memories............. :)

Ill keep an eye out for that one. Is it on Netflix? I too hate how Hollywood kills cars yet if you happen to own a model they destroy, your value goes up. In the newer Gone, the Shelby was a creation from a shop in Dallas called unique performance and has since gone belly up. I liked the remake of vanishing point better than the original and I also will agree with you on the movie hot rod. A true gear head classic.

I never saw the remake of Vanishing Point??????? Must be a real turkey?I don't hate the original, I just didn't think it was a real car guy movie??? I do however think it is a good piece of Americana as it grabs a section of time of the hippie scene and the antiestablishment, pot smoking, free love, and of course cool cars.Yeh Icemanmike Hot Rod has been my fav for many years now. All the guys I hung with for the last thirty years can quote from the movie and we do it often when we meet at cruise nights or car shows. Kids look at us like we are talking in code! hahahahahahahaha

As for the movie with Eric Bana being on Netflix, I have no Idea. It came out in 2009 at film festivals all over the world and won some awards. The award thing is where I first heard rumblings about it. I first saw the movie at the local library so I grabbed my trusty library card and brought it home to watch. I was so impressed I ordered my own copy from HMV. It's a movie you just have to own!

Edited by Stinger390X

In the original "Gone"' date=' the Mustang was a 73'. This also was the last of an era as all cars, GM Chrys and Ford were downsizing for the first energy crisis of the century!The cars all became little grocery getters with 4 cylinders with junk like the Pinto, the Vega etc were being made. That is why in "Gone" I love seeing all the classic cars and the big boat anchors. I also laugh at those kids in the 65 Caddy lowrider! They are comedy relief for that movie!In the new Gone, they decided to use a Shelby and I for one was not impressed as I hate it when any classic car is crashed when there are such low limited numbers...even if its a dressed car as parts are also rare such as spoilers etc. Its funny as back when Dukes of Hazzard was being filmed the Chrysler Club of America wrote the show complaining they were killing all the Chargers too fast! There were approximately 8-10 totalled every shooting day! Eventually there would be none left?Cool thing about the original Gone is that Hal spent a lot of his own money to buy the 94 cars that were smashed in the original film! Remember when he drives the Mustang into the Cadillac Dealership? If you think about it when it was filmed those were brand new Cadillacs! There goes a few bucks................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Hollywood!!!Thanks for the memories............. :)[/quote']Yeah but I can kind of understand why they are using classic cars, as nothing quite has the presence of an old muscle car, although if I was a film maker I'd just keep it to low risk to the car kinda stunts and if I had to bash them like in the old days I would strictly make it some minor dents and the like on the cars.as to make them easily reparable, and then do a home improvement and tell them how we did the tricks, as to ease all of the car guys minds about the cars.and maybe make some stand in's if it got too bad, hell some of the Shelby Cobra Replica's are using Mustang 5.0 chassis from the 1980's as they're basis, so why not just create a modern version of that using reproduction parts and a new mustang chassis?and lets face it, its really hard to find any sort of car nowadays that is as memorable as the old girls, Although I have to admit I'd love to see this in action in a car film
although I think its the jumps that really killed the cars in that TV show, as that's what did in one of the Three Firebirds used for Smokey and the Bandit, and the last surivivng one had a badly bent in front end for the last couple of scenes from the film if you look closely from running down the hill earlier in the filmalthough outside of that it seems like as long as you dont directly run them into something, the cars can take a beating, just not as much as something from the 1920's to the 40's

With the gone in 60 seconds car, the remake, it was originally just made for the film, as they actually had parts falling off the thing during filming and afterwards shelby decided to let a company make replicas of them using stock 67 mustangs as well given how many people wanted the thing with a checkbook. problem was they were ripping out the Vin's and the like during the resto which is a major no no which is what lead to them closing, as they were probably trying to pass them off as real GT500's with forged documents.hell I half wonder if that failure is what led Shelby to renew his friendship with ford to build a modern GT 500's, culminating in a 200 MPH one this year for the 2013 model year, his last great hurah, a Mustang that can roughly match a ferrari, a new one no less.but supposedly there's a new group making the Shelby GT500 Replica's in texas, and this is one of them apparently

and as time as gone on, I'd would have done that car differently, as I think the reason why the car gets people is purely down to the color choice, its a modern dupont grey metallic of some sort mixed in with black, with modern rims and tires, sidepipes and flared to look like a race car.its a simple formula really, and its been done before:http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-...tor/index.htmlhttp://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-...son/index.htmland even from the comments on the video there, you can see it's got a polarizing effect, some love it, some hate it, and I used to like it back then, but nowadays just like the TMP enterprise, I think I could do better.Hell I'd use this as the basis
lower it as the front end seems to be abit high, add bigger rims but keep the rubber thickness the same or just slightly smaller and wider, flare it a little to cover the edges of the tires in the front and rear and add a splinter in the front, like on an Old TA car, as to cover up the engine mounts hanging down in the front
as seeing stuff hang down from the underbelly from the lower profiles, namely the front just utterly drives me nuts, like I feel like a piece of the trim is missing but no sidepipes as that's too much and black out the area around the lights there that is painted white around the grillWith the Remake of VP it showed up on Fox back in the 1990's for a little bit, and I happened to see it one saturday and they changed the story around to that apparently he's racing to see his wife in hospital (which brings up the question why not charter a helicopter or one off of a hospital, as my local one has one of those) instead of just doing it for a nonsense race and the sheer bloodymindness of a it alland they trash a geniune Challenger and Charger in it, 69 no less, instead of just wrecking some 67 camaro like they did in the original vanishing point at the endfunny thing is if your really keen to see it, its been fully uploaded to youtube and no one's taken it down yet.actually I didnt even think of using the library for video rental.

I loved that video of Eleanor That was a good looking car and looked well built. Sure sounded good in the video? (Hollywood always adds sound effects)!There is a company just a 45 minute drive from here somewhere near Oakville Ontario that makes BRAND NEW ALL STEEL re-fabs of the 67'Mustang, 69'Camero, 34'Ford coupe and 33'Ford Pickup and a few others too. These cars are exact replicas and all steel with all the original welds etc. When I saw them on display at the car show last winter the rooflines where the roof and quarter panels join, did not have any lead in it. As an old school customizer myself for many years I found the quality of these cars incredibly accurate. The cars come as an empty shell and you use your own donor car as the parts for dash, wiring, suspension, engine, glass etc., or you purchase new, which is also available as there are many companies doing reman's of everything for these popular cars now.You can buy the shell for about 14 grand and if you have a donor car you could build a finished Mustang for about 20-30 grand? A bit more if you bought everything new. Just think....a brand new, rust free, modern 46 year old classic car!!!As for the other guy in Niagara who did the Mad Max car, I have to admit he did a fabulous job. I don't know him personally but he is a friend of a buddy of mine named Frank and they cruise together. I have seen the Falcon many times at Cruise nights and it is truly spectacular! A perfect copy.

Ah so they're basically use that as a way to bring them in, or make them under the home made cars laws then? hmm I guess that means that the only thing that is really preventing them from using and bashing replica cars in hollywood using that is just will then.and just imagine what kind of new life that brings into the hobby tooand I have to admit the falcon is something else and I'm kind of anxious to see how its going to be used in the new mad max film too, if and when they come out.

I'm not a big fan of any kind of sequels in any movie genre, but I read somewhere that they tried to make a new Mad Max movie a few years ago and failed miserably. They ran into financial problems and shooting issues etc. The new movie company has purchased the old Falcon and a few of the other weird automobiles from the future from the other film crew.They are building a few new contraptions for the newest movie but what bothers me is that in MMII the car was totalled in the car chase scene so if they bring it back again it will be interesting to see how they explain this away.it is Hollywood after all!............................................................

• Administrators

Originally posted by Kavinsky

• The way I figure this is its going to be an inbetween between the first and second films" data-date=" like how did it get this bad between the two. As to go from dealing with a motorcycle gang using superbikes (thus the need for the 600 HP 150 MPH+ Pursuit Special to keep up and wreck them) to a total dystopia is quite a jump.[*">

• and one of the quoted reasons why there wasnt a fourth one was that George Miller didnt know what to do with it, as he was distraught after loosing a close friend to an accident on the third one while filming it. hence why the third one was so different from the others as he let someone else finish it and then just decided to move on and let it be after that.
  • until apparently he bumped into some sort of comic book writer who had an idea of what to do with it. That he met while filming some film with him in 06', so that's my guess on it and what they're gonna do, plus the condition of the interceptor seems to support it here
  • http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-...tor/index.html
  • as its lost the lower half of the bumper like in the second film, but the bodywork (now minus the paint difference paint job, gloss on matt or whatever, and it now features webbing over the headlights instead of lines) nonetheless seems to be in a better shape than it was at the start of two.
  • and I'm half wondering if maybe they'll be some sort of repercussions for max stealing the interceptor from the MFP too, as during the scene where Max gets ambushed in the first one you can hear the radio putting out a warning about a stolen Pursuit Special.
  • the one Max Nicked, and I could imagine his boss going after him to try and bring him back from the brink as well, as he might have brought back some of that sanity he did display in the second one, vs how he was at the end of one.
  • so there is potential there, good potential for storytelling that will flow and mesh with the other movies pretty well if its done right.
  • but that is the big question.... will it be done right or will it be a dog's breakfast of a movie. "The problem with the world is that everyone else is always a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart