Cary 50 for sale?

Stinger390X

http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/4161307728.htmlLooks like a Cary 50 is up for sale in Wisconsin. Owner claims it is the actual boat from "The Great McCarthy". I wish I had the money! We just scrapped a boat in our marina last year with two brand new "Cats" (caterpillar engines) which we removed and those baby's would push those Arneson's beautifully across the water at about 60mph.Fifty feet...that is a lot of boat!Quote:1984 Cary 50 Boat Hull ProjectFor sale is a 1984 Cary 50 hull only with fuel tanks, radar arch, engine hatch, Coast Guard Certificate of Documentation. No engines, Arneson drives, props or other equipment ! This bare hull is located in Deerfield, Wisconsin (53531). Loading and shipping are not included. Long term storage is available, call: 608-719-915twoThe hull is in very good condition with fresh paint on sides with primer on decks. It could be repowered with I/O's, Inboards, or Outboards. Gas or diesel.The 'Leading Lady' was used in filming a Miami Vice TV show episode in 1985. Watch 'The Great McCarthy' episode on the Miami Vice Season One DVD.More pictures and details can be found at: http://www.oakview.com/Cary.htm1. The radar arch is included however it has been removed to allow for low clearance inside the storage shed.2. The twin engine hatch hydraulic lift cylinders and 12V power unit are all included. The batteries are not included.3. The hull is 50'long, 13'10" wide and 10'2" from the bottom of the keel to the top of the windshield. Wide load permits will be required.4. The bare hull weighs 18,000 lbs. To heavy for your dads F150 pickup to pull home!If you have any other questions please email or call me at: (608) 719-915two.

Looking at some old pics I think that this boat has been for sale for the last three years by the same guy? I could be wrong but the garage looks the same as my three year old pics?I amazed no one has bothered to grab this thing up just for the history of the boat.I wish I had some disposable income as I would love to grab this up and shoehorn a pair of diesels in it. This is definitely a "party boat" the thing is huge! My buddy has a Wellcraft Portofino that is almost as big as this, and let me tell you its a house on water!!!

http://www.oakview.com/Cary.htm1. The radar arch is included however it has been removed to allow for low clearance inside the storage shed.2. The twin engine hatch hydraulic lift cylinders and 12V power unit are all included. The batteries are not included.3. The hull is 50'long, 13'10" wide and 10'2" from the bottom of the keel to the top of the windshield. Wide load permits will be required.4. The bare hull weighs 18,000 lbs. To heavy for your dads F150 pickup to pull home!If you have any other questions please email or call me at: (608) 719-915two.

Very cool boat and does look like the McCarthy boat in the ep. Do you think this is the Real Deal, Stinger?

Apparently it is the REAL DEAL there SB. I found the boat for sale about three or four years ago and last night while looking at the pictures of the new ad compared to the old pics I have, I noticed the garage is exactly the same as my old pictures. I did some digging and went on a few boat websites I hang out on and they also agree. This boat sadly has been for sale for ever, and there are just no takers!?! It is the exact boat used in the episode however the drivetrain and interior has been completely removed. The boat is totally bare and there are Arneson drives on the boat now and no engines. To be honest the size of that boat needs the Arneson drives as the regular outdrives would strain to push 12-14000lbs of boat through the water back in those days? A pair of Cat Diesels would spin those Arneson's properly and that boat would do a respectable 55mph all day long. You have to remember that is a lot of boat to push through the water. my buddies Portofino is almost as big and it does 45 on a good day with a tailwind! Many years ago I spoke to one of the guys who actually raced his boat in that episode. If \I remember correctly, I believe he said it was a tri-power boat originally which means it had three engines in it.(I will have to see the archives to see if I can find that thread about the boat) Someone started to do all the woodwork on the interior a few years ago but this new add does not say or show any pics of the work done. The following are pics of the interior I have from about four years ago. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n295308[/ATTACH]

post-35-13892966255547_thumb.jpg

post-35-1389296625616_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892966257042_thumb.jpg

post-35-1389296625795_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892966258819_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892966260007_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892966261109_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892966262546_thumb.jpg

Very cool background and photos on this boat, Stinger. As one who is not all that UP on boats though, how do you verify/validate that this particular boat was used in McCarthy? Are there unique serial numbers/identifiers that you could trace back?I just watched the ep and couldn't determine how many engines it was running ( all inboards?) but seemed like there were three distinct water ports at the rear during the race.Could it be that it was running 3 Engines in the series so it could perhaps keep up with the otherwise more powerful boats like the Scarab?To me it seemed like they were doing well over 80mph in the race but just a guess.Man I would love to get into one of these muscle boats and hit some seriously high speeds.Best I ever did was on a Jet-ski doing around 50mph or so down in SoFl.

In the Great McCarthy the boats were only going about 55-60mph full out.As for your question regarding authenticity, yes there are HIN(Hull Identification Numbers) that identify a particular boat just like a car has a VIN. The name of the boat also coincides with the one used in the episode. I believe this to be the real thing.the power plants I not aware of what they used originally. I know these models of Cary came with tri-power as well as twins. I can remember reading many years ago somewhere about this boat but like I said ...if memory serves me well it was mentioned it was a tri-power at that time of filming.The add states that the hull is empty so it can be outfitted with almost anything. since it already has the Arneson bolted on the rear, so a pair of diesels would make it move quite well.

In the Great McCarthy the boats were only going about 55-60mph full out.As for your question regarding authenticity' date=' yes there are HIN(Hull Identification Numbers) that identify a particular boat just like a car has a VIN. The name of the boat also coincides with the one used in the episode. I believe this to be the real thing.the power plants I not aware of what they used originally. I know these models of Cary came with tri-power as well as twins. I can remember reading many years ago somewhere about this boat but like I said ...if memory serves me well it was mentioned it was a tri-power at that time of filming.The add states that the hull is empty so it can be outfitted with almost anything. since it already has the Arneson bolted on the rear, so a pair of diesels would make it move quite well.[/quote']Hey Stinger, I was looking at this thread (you may or may not have seen it) but someone claims to have owned the Cary 50 from the Great McCarthy episode. Interesting comments about that boat and non very favorable, at least with gas engines. http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/16378-cary-50-a.html

Thanks for posting! That was an interesting read!It seems that guy Shazam and I both agree that diesels and Arneson's are the way to go to make that boat float again. I see he mentioned quads??? WOW! that would be quite the gas guzzler!?! Well back then no one who owned a boat like that ever cared about the price of fuel as it was cheap in the 80's still. I poker run with a guy who has triples in his Baja and they drink gasoline like it was going out of style! I admit though with the triples he can cruise at 110-120 all day long and the boat is huge, I think its a 42 or a 45?I liked the comments about the Cary being built like a tank and very solid as a forerunner to the big cruisers that were to follow from that design. Considering the size of that 50 it needs to be well built to stop it from getting stress cracks and breakage from the extreme size. Sounds like they were very well made from all the positive comments, accept for the problems with drivbetrains, which was an experiment in motion?

In the Great McCarthy the boats were only going about 55-60mph full out.As for your question regarding authenticity' date=' yes there are HIN(Hull Identification Numbers) that identify a particular boat just like a car has a VIN. The name of the boat also coincides with the one used in the episode. I believe this to be the real thing.the power plants I not aware of what they used originally. I know these models of Cary came with tri-power as well as twins. I can remember reading many years ago somewhere about this boat but like I said ...if memory serves me well it was mentioned it was a tri-power at that time of filming.The add states that the hull is empty so it can be outfitted with almost anything. since it already has the Arneson bolted on the rear, so a pair of diesels would make it move quite well.[/quote']Wow so my speed estimate was WAAAAAAY off then, lol Well it was just a guess. I thought those Scarabs like the boat Crockett was racing could do MUCH better?So could the tri-power version of that boat do better than 60mph, or was it just too big and heavy? It did seem to be the albatross of the race when watching the ep.As to the Cary did you or someone you read about actually do a verification of the HIN numbers against some reference point from the Series, or some other way verify it was used? I ask because as you have seen in many threads and car listings, numerous pretenders claimed to have Daytonas, Testas, and other cars used in Vice. And as well know, the only guy who has the one car that has been validated is CameraDaytona.

Actually S&B the speeds were appropriate for those boats and that era of marine technology. You mentioned being an "albatross" and you are correct. Just the mere weight of that tub being around 12000lbs or so (maybe a bit more?) it would be an awesome wave crusher! If you recall the slight chop out on the ocean and this would really slow the other boats down significantly. However when they get in the calmer waters yes the big boats would clean house as they were lighter and faster but after all...its television so Crocket had to win :)By the way I found a pic of the quad power from a similar Cary 50. It would have probably looked just like thisEingefügtes Bild

Actually S&B the speeds were appropriate for those boats and that era of marine technology. You mentioned being an "albatross" and you are correct. Just the mere weight of that tub being around 12000lbs or so (maybe a bit more?) it would be an awesome wave crusher! If you recall the slight chop out on the ocean and this would really slow the other boats down significantly. However when they get in the calmer waters yes the big boats would clean house as they were lighter and faster but after all...its television so Crocket had to win :)By the way I found a pic of the quad power from a similar Cary 50. It would have probably looked just like thisEingefügtes Bild

Nice shot of a serious power plant, or at least it looks like it to me. I do recall how the Cary handled the waves and it was definitely riding much smoother than the smaller boats. But even so I expected that the smaller boats would do considerably faster than 60 so that was a surprise to me. Wow, a 6 ton boat is not something very light.

The mid 1980's were an exiting time in fast boats. Hull designs were beginning to change as most hulls were based on the 30 CARY believe it or not! There is quite the history of Don Arenow (the maker of Formula, Donzi and then Cigarette) and many others who built boats in those days .Jean Claude Simon was the owner of CARY boats at that time and he leased out his plug for the 30' CARY to many other boat builders as it was a nearly perfect hull. (if it aint broke...don't fix it) The Excaliber, owned by Bill Farmer, was built with that plug and then an early Chris Craft was pulled from this mold by then owner Dick Genth, called the Chris Craft Excaliber, as well as even my 390X which was an extended mold production of the same hull in later years.It's unbelievable that CARY had such a history of the original 22 degree deadrise hulls of that era of boat manufacturing. Times changed and of course the big guns like Reggie Fountain came in and turned the world on its head with incredible speed records held for years. That is when boats started to exceed 100mph with stability. Then of course Catamaran hulls came into fashion and blew everyone's socks off. Todays record is something 248mph I think and it was set recently by "MY WAY" which is one of these "Cat hulls"Most of my buddies boats that I hang with all do about 90-130mph so I am considered "Captain Slow" in their books. We still have fun hanging out together only they have to wait for me to catch up on fun runs. :)