Episode #81 "Vote Of Confidence"

Ferrariman

Wow, this one has been bashed quite a bit. If Barry Bloom had gotten more confrontational with C&T or vice versa . . . but the Frazier and Pierce/Mrs. Pierce characters were compelling IMHO. I like this episode.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FlemFan said:

Wow, this one has been bashed quite a bit. If Barry Bloom had gotten more confrontational with C&T or vice versa . . . but the Frazier and Pierce/Mrs. Pierce characters were compelling IMHO. I like this episode.

I like this one, too. It’s not a famous one by any means, but compelling characters and an interesting plot. :thumbsup: 

• 2 months later...

This was an episode that isn’t that “strong” nor really serves a purpose...but for some reason I do like watching it every time I go through the show.

It had decent acting and actors playing the parts...Larry Pine as Tom Pierce was perfect for the "dirty", faky, Bill Clinton-like politician. He and those aspects of politics were very realistically portrayed! :clap: The train scene at the beginning was hilarious too...with Crockett making snide comments about Pierce running from him with his pants off, then he realizes it's Pierce, and laughs his butt off, while sarcastically telling Tubbs, "He's got my vote!" :) 

But, in all honesty I don't truly understand what the point of this episode is? ?( We all know most politicians are greedy, egotistical, liars, perverts, and are so "plastic" that Barbi & Ken are jealous. :p But, I'm not sure why Crockett and Tubbs, and the OCB, stayed on this so-called case? Until that weirdo reporter guy strangles the hooker, there really is nothing to investigate...and that should be homicide's gig anyway. But, maybe it was the possibility of "underworld" money supporting Pierce's campaign that kept OCB involved? Not entirely sure, again, what was going on.

However, I do really like some of the colors and fashion in this...love Pierce's teal dressing room, complete with teal folding chairs to match, and I actually do like Crockett’s wild-design black-n-white shirts in the past couple episodes (even though I usually prefer the pastels)! :glossy:

This wasn't a terrible episode, but not an awesome one either...just sort of a so-so one. I originally gave it a 6, but with some of the acting and colors involved it could probably be bumped up to a 6.5-7. 

But, one scene that truly makes this episode worth watching (in my opinion) is a quick few-seconds scene where the cops are showing up to the murdered, high-class hooker’s mansion. I think it’s early morning and has been raining...but the sun is rising, and the colors of the sky, the grass, flowers, trees, etc...are amazing! :glossy:

I happen to have an original NBC airing of this episode...and below I’ve included a pic of the scene I’m referring to. I’ve also included pics of the same scene from my Universal DVD, and from the Blu-ray set. It’s interesting how my original NBC airing is the most colorful and the whole scene just “pops” off the screen at you...whereas the same scene seems to be faded or “dulled” down some with newer, more “digitally remastered” versions.

The pics aren’t as good as I’d like, but they were taken with my phone off the TV...as before I’d of used my laptop and gotten better scene-clips. But, about a year ago my laptop finally bit the dust, and I haven’t been able to afford to replace it yet. But, the pics below get the point across:

E0CC2EAF-049A-4E5E-98E2-46687796142E.thumb.jpeg.78a21cfbad7bc4d0764a59f7f3050f14.jpeg

Original NBC Airing: Colors are superb and “grab” your eyes instantly...look at that amazing sky! :glossy:

CB9A2BAD-25FC-418B-9525-AD402EFB71EA.thumb.jpeg.0a85c0ed47bdf95c14e7e3a9237f957d.jpeg

Universal DVD: Sky is still kind of cool (little bit of orange still present), but it and the grass, red flowers on the left, and other aspects seem somewhat “dulled” compared to my original airing.

9E6CE519-5E87-4F64-9A80-322ABFFC354B.thumb.jpeg.095cdaabaf0222d9e6c37bac44b820c9.jpeg

Blu-ray Version: No orange sky anymore, and the flowers & grass definitely seem “blah-ed” into the background.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

This one's OK, but it's about the lives of the most unnecessary people on the planet (politicians) and there are way too many scenes of people sitting and talking at desks.  And the machinations of political scheming circa 1988 looks so quaint these days.  

Nine is one of my favorite cast albums, so I noted we get to see singer Shelley Burch (as Angelica) in action.  Larry Pine I know from several Wes Anderson movies; he's even in the brand-new one The French Dispatch, playing a judge. 

Cliches ("You won't have Tom Pierce to kick around anymore!"), but an intriguing mystery about Pierce's location after he bows out of the race.  Still, not a MV episode to excite the soul. 

What the.......... hell...... is going on with these last seasons ?????

Vote of dissapointment should've been called this episode; 3/10. And I think this is the 2nd silliest MV episode only besides Miracle man.

I "like" how NBC's policy was to make the right leaning GOP guy look like a dishonest person...... his campaign signs were even coloured in red...... Like it was neccesary to mention he is "right leaning" as if he was "left leaning" his dishonesty wouldn't matter as much ???? -.- For real....... They also mentioned in Freefall something about connections in the GOP; like they are the ones who spread corruption; and their rival is the good guy. 

This episode and Indian wars really annoy me with these politicized topics. 

In my country there is also a series run by a TV channel supported by the liberal party, and they use it as a discreet political weapon....... with subtle things here and there;

These things I dissagree with TV channels doing; portarying indirectly the opposing political side as an enemy, or a dishonest jerk, just because of that......  and then profiting off of this.

This is MV afterall, a series which all sides can and should enjoy; so why make it into a political discussion where you mock one side constantly ????? Bad move from the producers, a move which may have contributed to its downfall........

Edited by Adrian321
Forgot something
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

What the.......... hell...... is going on with these last seasons ?????

Vote of dissapointment should've been called this episode; 3/10. And I think this is the 2nd silliest MV episode only besides Miracle man.

I "like" how NBC's policy was to make the right leaning GOP guy look like a dishonest person...... his campaign signs were even coloured in red...... Like it was neccesary to mention he is "right leaning" as if he was "left leaning" his dishonesty wouldn't matter as much ???? -.- For real....... They also mentioned in Freefall something about connections in the GOP; like they are the ones who spread corruption; and their rival is the good guy. 

This episode and Indian wars really annoy me with these politicized topics. 

In my country there is also a series run by a TV channel supported by the liberal party, and they use it as a discreet political weapon....... with subtle things here and there;

These things I dissagree with TV channels doing; portarying indirectly the opposing political side as an enemy, or a dishonest jerk, just because of that......  and then profiting off of this.

This is MV afterall, a series which all sides can and should enjoy; so why make it into a political discussion where you mock one side constantly ????? Bad move from the producers, a move which may have contributed to its downfall........

I agree, I can't stand the politics in season 4, another bad road they went down.

This boring subject matter doesn't fit in a show like Vice, what a major yawn just like "Contempt of Court"

Image result for yawn gif

• Like 2

;(

Once Michael Mann and the gang were gone, they were GONE.  If I am to believe the whole explanation of the events, Dick Wolf's ideas on a police show were not BAD ideas (hey, they are exactly what became the super Law and Order franchise)---it was just his decision to surgically operate on a show that he'd been only assigned to carry after it had clearly made its own successful unique identity, and try to contort it into his novel idea for a different cop drama, that was THE BAD IDEA.  

If I was given an assignment to take over someone else's project, no matter how much I have a pet-project of my own I want my superiors to try out, I'd never "dump" out all the previous project's tools just to use the carcass as a guinea pig for my pet project.  That would feel, well, "dishonorable" for me to try.

My head still spins at how shocking entrenched his cop show concept had become in MV, after he only stuck around for barely one season technically.  How was that possible?  Yikes!!
But... that break-off is what Dick Wolf left on the show.  Once you bump a train off its rails, it's that hard to get it back on its original rails again?

Edited by Augusta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Augusta said:

;(

Once Michael Mann and the gang were gone, they were GONE.  If I am to believe the whole explanation of the events, Dick Wolf's ideas on a police show were not BAD ideas (hey, they are exactly what became the super Law and Order franchise)---it was just his decision to surgically operate on a show that he'd been only assigned to carry after it had clearly made its own successful unique identity, and try to contort it into his novel idea for a different cop drama, that was THE BAD IDEA.  

If I was given an assignment to take over someone else's project, no matter how much I have a pet-project of my own I want my superiors to try out, I'd never "dump" out all the previous project's tools just to use the carcass as a guinea pig for my pet project.  That would feel, well, "dishonorable" for me to try.

My head still spins at how shocking entrenched his cop show concept had become in MV, after he only stuck around for barely one season technically.  How was that possible?  Yikes!!
But... that break-off is what Dick Wolf left on the show.  Once you bump a train off its rails, it's that hard to get it back on its original rails again?

Even though I don't like the political stuff in 4 he still didn't even stick his own law concept. Dick Wolf had zero vision once he took full charge. 

One minute it was a court room drama then it was about UFO's and then it turned into a sitcom. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I agree, I can't stand the politics in season 4, another bad road they went down.

This boring subject matter doesn't fit in a show like Vice, what a major yawn just like "Contempt of Court"

Image result for yawn gif

Contempt of court....... that is another subject, and I definitely agree it was boring as hell; but it wasn't TERRIBLE, just bad; as half of Season 4 atleast and about half of Season 5.

Personally I wouldn't care if they only made SUBTLE refrences to politics; like in Freefall, that doesn't bother me, and I could sweep it under the carpet; but having entire episodes bashing one political side; or promoting an ideology ? If I wanted to watch politics and debates, I'd go to a news program, or a commentator/debater; not a DAMN tv series, especially one like MV. Embaressing

Nah....... silly and dumb. I can't stand these decisions. Overall, they weren't AS harmful as many other decisions the producers made, but it did play a role.

Edited by Adrian321
error
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More of that Vice grip for me in regular life; I saw that PEOPLE magazine voted Paul Rudd The Sexiest Man Alive (I think Paul Rudd's fantastic, and had to have that issue; so many things I dig about Rudd, but when he was on James Corden's show with the awesome Diane Lane a few years ago, with Rudd making a "300" joke and those two recreating that "Titanic" scene? Yeah, it's a favorite clip of mine for sure), and in looking at it I thought of what Crockett said in this episode in the cold open after it was discovered that it was Tom Pierce on the 'Ho Train: "By god he's got my vote (of confidence, indeed)!"

• 7 months later...
On 7/25/2021 at 8:00 PM, ViceFanMan said:

This was an episode that isn’t that “strong” nor really serves a purpose...but for some reason I do like watching it every time I go through the show.

It had decent acting and actors playing the parts...Larry Pine as Tom Pierce was perfect for the "dirty", faky, Bill Clinton-like politician. He and those aspects of politics were very realistically portrayed! :clap: The train scene at the beginning was hilarious too...with Crockett making snide comments about Pierce running from him with his pants off, then he realizes it's Pierce, and laughs his butt off, while sarcastically telling Tubbs, "He's got my vote!" :) 

But, in all honesty I don't truly understand what the point of this episode is? ?( We all know most politicians are greedy, egotistical, liars, perverts, and are so "plastic" that Barbi & Ken are jealous. :p But, I'm not sure why Crockett and Tubbs, and the OCB, stayed on this so-called case? Until that weirdo reporter guy strangles the hooker, there really is nothing to investigate...and that should be homicide's gig anyway. But, maybe it was the possibility of "underworld" money supporting Pierce's campaign that kept OCB involved? Not entirely sure, again, what was going on.

However, I do really like some of the colors and fashion in this...love Pierce's teal dressing room, complete with teal folding chairs to match, and I actually do like Crockett’s wild-design black-n-white shirts in the past couple episodes (even though I usually prefer the pastels)! :glossy:

This wasn't a terrible episode, but not an awesome one either...just sort of a so-so one. I originally gave it a 6, but with some of the acting and colors involved it could probably be bumped up to a 6.5-7. 

But, one scene that truly makes this episode worth watching (in my opinion) is a quick few-seconds scene where the cops are showing up to the murdered, high-class hooker’s mansion. I think it’s early morning and has been raining...but the sun is rising, and the colors of the sky, the grass, flowers, trees, etc...are amazing! :glossy:

I happen to have an original NBC airing of this episode...and below I’ve included a pic of the scene I’m referring to. I’ve also included pics of the same scene from my Universal DVD, and from the Blu-ray set. It’s interesting how my original NBC airing is the most colorful and the whole scene just “pops” off the screen at you...whereas the same scene seems to be faded or “dulled” down some with newer, more “digitally remastered” versions.

The pics aren’t as good as I’d like, but they were taken with my phone off the TV...as before I’d of used my laptop and gotten better scene-clips. But, about a year ago my laptop finally bit the dust, and I haven’t been able to afford to replace it yet. But, the pics below get the point across:

E0CC2EAF-049A-4E5E-98E2-46687796142E.thumb.jpeg.78a21cfbad7bc4d0764a59f7f3050f14.jpeg

Original NBC Airing: Colors are superb and “grab” your eyes instantly...look at that amazing sky! :glossy:

CB9A2BAD-25FC-418B-9525-AD402EFB71EA.thumb.jpeg.0a85c0ed47bdf95c14e7e3a9237f957d.jpeg

Universal DVD: Sky is still kind of cool (little bit of orange still present), but it and the grass, red flowers on the left, and other aspects seem somewhat “dulled” compared to my original airing.

9E6CE519-5E87-4F64-9A80-322ABFFC354B.thumb.jpeg.095cdaabaf0222d9e6c37bac44b820c9.jpeg

Blu-ray Version: No orange sky anymore, and the flowers & grass definitely seem “blah-ed” into the background.

This was my latest review of this episode, from last year. I still love the specific scene I’ve referred to in the past—pictures above in my original review, from the original airing, the Universal DVD, and Mill Creek Blu-ray. But, below is my favorite. It’s from my copy of my original NBC airing: 

A7D3258D-A521-4F7C-A100-DF6CE3BAF10B.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like this at all as a Miami Vice episode .  I rate it 2/10.  But it was pretty good as an episode of some other show - maybe 7/10.

As mentioned, Larry Pine is fantastic.  Who was the best guest actor in S4/S5, not counting the return of Hackman & Lombard?  I'd say Larry Pine is battling  Stanley Tucci (Frank Mosca) for the top spot.

The political scheming left me cold when I was younger, but I understand it better now.  They do a good job showing the complexity of political alignment and the shifting of political winds.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Above average episode IMHO.  I gave it a 7 on IMDB.

One scene really bothers me though.  It felt really out of character for Castillo to tolerate Tubbs sitting on his desk.  Did anybody else pick up on this?

desksit.JPG

Edited by dragon48
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, dragon48 said:

One scene really bothers me though.  It felt really out of character for Castillo to tolerate Tubbs sitting on his desk.  Did anybody else pick up on this?

desksit.JPG

Although lots of fans seem to not really like this one...I kind of do! It’s not famous or memorable, but it realistically portrayed politics & politicians. It may have been a little ahead of its time, but it screams ‘Bill Clinton’ to me, lol! :p 

I like your notice & calling-out of Tubbs just sitting nonchalantly on Castillo’s desk...I’d not really thought about that before, but you’re right! :thumbsup: I don’t think Castillo would have allowed it...he’d of given Rico his trademark “stern-stare”, and Tubbs would have immediately hopped off. ;)

• Like 1

On the other hand it could indicate that their relationship and comfort level had progressed by this point. There are other subtle indicators like that as the series went on.

• Like 4

Castillo didn'

11 hours ago, dragon48 said:

desksit.JPG

Marty didn't mind his guy's sitting on the edge of his desk. Ricardo sat on his desk way back in "Evan" and Stan did in "Lend Me an Ear"

"Evan"

1evan.png.44dac80e51ae6ace1de86cde51836b3a.png

"Lend Me an Ear"

1403237745_sdslend.png.abcf3bb299dfc18ed347598dca2116a8.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bren10 said:

On the other hand it could indicate that their relationship and comfort level had progressed by this point. There are other subtle indicators like that as the series went on.

I think this is the best way to look at it. By this point in the series Castillo had developed well past the "Charles Bronson by way of Havana" thing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

He gave them a corner, any more intrusion might have required a "talking-to". :p

A talking-to wasn’t necessary...with Castillo all it took was the “look”. :p It seems rather out of character that Castillo would allow anyone to just walk up & sit on his desk...especially with him sitting there behind it, lol. But, maybe in certain situations or by a certain amount of time, he’d “relaxed” enough to not care as much. ;)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The journalist is murdered by some 'bookie muscle' and just then Pierce reappears. Does this mean he's behind the murder in some way?

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

The journalist is murdered by some 'bookie muscle' and just then Pierce reappears. Does this mean he's behind the murder in some way?

Interesting idea...you never know...maybe? ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is DJ plastered during the teaser scene? For the last few episodes his eyes have been glazed over and not looking too good. :wuerg:

In Cows of October a scene abruptly ends mid sentence to go to commercial. The scene restarts and DJ's stand-in has replaced him in the background, covering his face with his hand. I was sitting there trying to imagine what the conversations were between takes.

Someone should make a documentary about specifically Season 4. It'd be fascinating.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

Here’s a quick, but informative rundown on this episode...in my opinion, it definitely eludes to the possibility that Pierce had a hand in “removing” his opposition. ;)

• Like 2