Episode #81 "Vote Of Confidence"

Ferrariman

Atleast Missing Hours is memorable in a "it's so bad that it's good" kind of way. This one is more egregious precisely because it's such a nothing, lifeless, waste of time. It is the epitome what was once a great show drained of everything that made it fun and interesting to begin with. 

:thumbsdown:

17 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Thankyou ViceFanMan ! You agree about Larry Pine (Pearce) carrying this episode?:hippie:

Definitely...I guess I have to admit another aspect that does somewhat draw me in, is Pine (Pearce). You watch to see if he's bad, in on everything, or good but oblivious or ignorant of everything going on around him. You also are anticipating what happened to him when he disappears for a while...was he dead, hiding out, flipped out & took off?? He was the perfect embodiment of your stereotypical politician! ;)

16 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Atleast Missing Hours is memorable in a "it's so bad that it's good" kind of way. This one is more egregious precisely because it's such a nothing, lifeless, waste of time. It is the epitome what was once a great show drained of everything that made it fun and interesting to begin with. 

Actually, Missing Hours is so HORRIBLE that it usually almost makes me mad when trying to watch!! There's nothing "good" about it! :blind: But that is just my opinion. :p By all means I don't love Vote of Confidence...but I can definitely watch it over Missing Hours or Cows of October! :funky:

• Like 2

On 7/29/2017 at 0:25 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Actually, Missing Hours is so HORRIBLE that it usually almost makes me mad when trying to watch!! There's nothing "good" about it! :blind: But that is just my opinion. :p By all means I don't love Vote of Confidence...but I can definitely watch it over Missing Hours or Cows of October! :funky:

Yes Missing Hours is producers/ writers on something :hippie::D 

It didnt work on any level !

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 3:12 AM, Vincent Hanna said:

Came here to comment on this episode and saw that you already read my mind. Vote of Confidence commits the absolute worst sin a show like MV can commit: it's boring. I tried to watch it again not long ago and literally fell asleep. I will try again soon. I believe that Missing Hours is the worst episode of Miami Vice prior to the 5th season and that Cows of October is another big misfire. But Vote of Confidence avoids the scorn reserved for those two episodes because it was so boring, few remember it. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Campion:

Came here to comment on this episode and saw that you already read my mind. Vote of Confidence commits the absolute worst sin a show like MV can commit: it's boring. I tried to watch it again not long ago and literally fell asleep. I will try again soon. I believe that Missing Hours is the worst episode of Miami Vice prior to the 5th season and that Cows of October is another big misfire. But Vote of Confidence avoids the scorn reserved for those two episodes because it was so boring, few remember it. 

The storyline of politicians, manipulation and C&T being accused of framing the candidate with the bunny train was good. But after the teaser it went downhill quickly. Key issue is that it lacks action and therefore spoils a good plot due to bad execution, i.e. bad script writing. Similar fate as scripts of Junk love and Amen send money. What is good though is the humor. Very funny lines throughout the episode.

2 hours ago, Campion said:

Missing Hours is not only the worst episode of MV...it is literally the worst episode of any TV show in TV history!! :thumbsdown:

Cows of October is probably the 2nd worst episode of the show...but it still is no where near the despicable garbage that Missing Hours is! :sick:

Vote of Confidence is not some famous memorable episode...but it has its decent aspects. The corruption and even mental degradation from politics was fairly realistic here. The character of Tom Pearce reminds me of William Devane’s character of Greg Sumner on Knots Landing, for those who remember and/or know that show, lol! ;)

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

"Made For Each Other" and "Viking Bikers From Hell" are what I would label as so bad they're good (with the former at least showcasing Switek and Zito with some memorable moments that made Zito's death more impactful). Even the much hated "Glades" (which I actually liked) made a point of showing another side of Florida outside of Miami. "Missing Hours" was just so bad because it was both awful and pointless.

Vote of Confidence was pointless but it wasn't necessarily that bad. I am a sucker for political corruption stories. The problem here is that there was nothing really at stake throughout the episode. Crockett and Tubbs are continuing to follow Pierce after the hooker bust. But why? Give us a murder. Give us a massive coverup by a complicit media (ala Kennedy or Clinton). The latter was hinted at with the DA covering up for Pierce but it never expanded on.

Nice opening. Good serious setup for a political story. But it all fell flat at Crockett and Tubbs just wandered around bored without any stake in whatever they were chasing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry  I’m late to this party and first time posting.  

I got into MV late, was 8 when it first aired and have just recently bought the blu ray collection.  Now in season 4 and I’m enjoying it quite a bit (season 3 was a sludge, It did have a couple of good eps).  

I just finished watching Vote of Confidence and was surprised to see that so many didn’t like it.  After Cows of October (which I watched yesterday), this was good.  It was the greatest ep, but it was definitely not CoO nor Missing Hours.  

Out of 10, I’d give it a 7

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 6:30 AM, Rev Nada said:

Sorry  I’m late to this party and first time posting.  

I got into MV late, was 8 when it first aired and have just recently bought the blu ray collection.  Now in season 4 and I’m enjoying it quite a bit (season 3 was a sludge, It did have a couple of good eps).  

I just finished watching Vote of Confidence and was surprised to see that so many didn’t like it.  After Cows of October (which I watched yesterday), this was good.  It was the greatest ep, but it was definitely not CoO nor Missing Hours.  

Out of 10, I’d give it a 7

It’s never too late to join this party—welcome!! :dance2:

I too was okay with Vote of Confidence! By no means was it a famous or “iconic” to the show type episode...but, as you pointed out, compared to Cows & Missing, Vote was pretty good! :thumbsup: Ironically, it probably is more relevant now (with the political garbage) than even the 80s. :p 

Although Seasons 4-5 had more bizarre & “poor” quality episodes (Season 3 started to teeter-totter in that direction), there were still awesome episodes in each season. :clap: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

This is one of those episodes that, even though I watched the series again recently, I cant really remember much about it after the opening.

Because nothing memorable  happens after that. Most viewers probably changed the channel on this one (along with many other S4 episodes :(). I still like it though. :D 

This is one that I actually did not see when it originally aired back-when. I saw it for the first time later, in reruns. If I had seen it as a kid when it originally aired, I probably would not have really cared for it then. But, as an adult, I can appreciate it more now. By no means is this one of my favorite episodes, but I still enjoy it when going to the series. :D  

On 10/17/2020 at 10:42 AM, ViceFanMan said:

It’s never too late to join this party—welcome!! :dance2:

I too was okay with Vote of Confidence! By no means was it a famous or “iconic” to the show type episode...but, as you pointed out, compared to Cows & Missing, Vote was pretty good! :thumbsup: Ironically, it probably is more relevant now (with the political garbage) than even the 80s. :p 

Although Seasons 4-5 had more bizarre & “poor” quality episodes (Season 3 started to teeter-totter in that direction), there were still awesome episodes in each season. :clap: 

Thanks for the welcome!!  It is appreciated.  Just finished Indian Wars, quite enjoyed it.  

Almost done with season 4, and it is doing what I was hoping for at the end of season 3; which was to have more personal dialogue between Tubbs and Crocket.  This would help us learn about them more and show the relationship that they have.  
As of now 3 is the weakest season.  

Again, I much appreciate the welcome!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically, this episode is due tonight in my die-hard “in order” rotation of one episode per night, every night.

Hopefully, we will know sooner than later who the next US president is. :D 

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2020 at 4:54 AM, Rev Nada said:

Thanks for the welcome!!  It is appreciated.  Just finished Indian Wars, quite enjoyed it.  

Almost done with season 4, and it is doing what I was hoping for at the end of season 3; which was to have more personal dialogue between Tubbs and Crocket.  This would help us learn about them more and show the relationship that they have.  
As of now 3 is the weakest season.  

Again, I much appreciate the welcome!

I am sorry but Season 3 is much better than 4.

Walk Alone-Good Collar-El Veijo-Red Tape-DFTC1-2-Forgive Us Our Debts-Shadow In The Dark-The Savage etc. The season 4 episodes never reach this level of quality. Half of the time in season 4 an episode like "Better Living Through Chemistry" would stand out as a classic, and its just a decent episode in 3.

If I had one criticism of season 3 I think what let's it down slightly was the season finale, it would have been great if it ended on "Forgive Us Our Debts"

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I am sorry but Season 3 is much better than 4.

Walk Alone-Good Collar-El Veijo-Red Tape-DFTC1-2-Forgive Us Our Debts-Shadow In The Dark-Stones War-The Savage etc. The season 4 episodes never reach this level of quality. Half of the time in season 4 an episode like "Better Living Through Chemistry" would stand out as a classic, and its just a decent episode in 3.

If I had one criticism of season 3 I think what let's it down slightly was the season finale, it would have been great it ended on "Forgive Us Our Debts"

I agree mostly with this, although I think Death and the Lady and Child's Play are definitely on the level of season 3. I won't go into the Caitlyn/Burnett eps because I consider those to be special cases and they are very polarizing and have been debated to death. I think season 3's finale and it's opener are letdowns. I know the opener was supposed to be bigger and on par with Prodigal Son but apparently it fell victim to budgetary constraints leaving a big "what if" in Vice's history. Forgive Us Our Debts would indeed have made a good closer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

I agree mostly with this, although I think Death and the Lady and Child's Play are definitely on the level of season 3. I won't go into the Caitlyn/Burnett eps because I consider those to be special cases and they are very polarizing and have been debated to death. I think season 3's finale and it's opener are letdowns. I know the opener was supposed to be bigger and on par with Prodigal Son but apparently it fell victim to budgetary constraints leaving a big "what if" in Vice's history. Forgive Us Our Debts would indeed have made a good closer.

What was the opener, Irish Eyes or El Veijo? I can never get definitive answer on this.

Was the lesser run time for the opener part of the budget problems because Brothers Keeper and Prodigal Son are 1hr 30mins.

Edited by RedDragon86

I believe Irish Eyes was the opener that was aired which would make sense to bookend the season with Gina, if that's what they were going for. I read an interview with Mann saying he wanted to open S3 in Ireland ala Prodigal Son in New York but the money and the logistics simply weren't there. The story on El Viejo being the opener can be found here but you do have to consider the source

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/El_Viejo

• Thanks 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

What was the opener, Irish Eyes or El Veijo? I can never get definitive answer on this.

Was the lesser run time for the opener part of the budget problems because Brothers Keeper and Prodigal Son are 1hr 30mins.

El Viejo was filmed first (16-30 June 86), then Irish eyes (1-11 July). Two reasons why Irish eyes was aired first: NBC wanted to start the season with a bang (Crockett´s Daytona blown up). Second: El Viejo was not ready to broadcast end of September. They filmed a new teaser in late October (originally the episode was about to start with the museum scenes and the opening credits were the aftermath in OCB), where we see Switek talking to Vince Wilson, the cop from San Antonio, Texas that turns out to be El Viejo´s stepson at the end of the episode.. This is a weird continuity flaw of the new teaser created by the writers, as in the other scenes of that episode shot in June Vince Wilson was mentioned in OCB as from Broward County, Florida.

• Thanks 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Bren10:

Ahh. Thanks, Tom. I was thinking of messaging you on this but I knew you'd show up. Like a shark with blood in the water.

Yeah but I get attracted by alleged mysteries not by smelly surfers :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I like 'Vote of Confidence' quite a bit: for me it was fairly humorous, but in a relaxed way.

The humor:

-Crockett with his "Well he's got my vote!" comment when catching Piece with his pants down in the mobile brothel (I also like the stylistic choice of a Ho' Train there).

I found the entire dialogue between Piece's former mentor Grover Watkins & Crockett/Tubbs (mostly Crockett, although Tubbs gets the "With both feet" line in, referencing when Grover says that Tom piece has really stepped into it this time) to be nifty, but also the fact that Watkins reminds me of a combination of R. Lee Ermey & Colonel Sanders made me find the whole thing funny (also, his name is Grover; at least he wasn't a grouch) . Too bad that Pierce Pearl Harbor'ed him, what a bastard indeed.

-Crockett's comment about Barry bloom looking like a guy who would be hanging around a playground somewhere. Well, he could've been in that media grouping that wouldn't leave Ellen Mason alone in 'Hell Hath No Fury..'. Or the hitman who came to the school later (that school REALLY needed some security!).

-Tom Pierce telling his political team that in football they'd call what his campaign is up against being time for a gut check. It made me think of the Vice pilot when Crockett & Tubbs were looking over Leon's tossed apartment and Crockett told Tubbs that in football they'd call them trying to find anything useful there a fourth down passing situation.

-Hank Frazier's comment about a politician Iiving like a monk, and once he feels the rush of power the next minute he thinks he's Warren Beatty; more of that dry humor that I dig. Overall, I found Hank Frazier entertaining, until...

That Angela Payson though, what a ball-buster (I don't mean like THAT! Well, maybe that too): before her demise, she was really the boss of her own life. I liked that.

I'd also like to note that the weather was very bleak during the outdoor scene at Angela Payson's house; I wonder if it was a political storm.

What I don't get is why Hank Frazier's editor would think that he wouldn't corrupt his journalistic integrity, even though the editor wouldn't trust Frazier with his daughter (I wonder how the editor would feel seeing both Frazier & Barry Bloom walking down his driveway then, along with Ellen Mason's hitman). I mean maybe Tom Pierce was out on the edge and liked it there, but Frazier himself was living quite precariously himself.

Down goes Frazier! And so it goes, the return of The Invisible Man (although if he was invisible, maybe he was there, it's just that no one could see him). Seriously, I wonder what Pierce was doing during his downtime. Room service? 24-hour news? Working out? Saying he took his time away to study the afflictions that blighted Miami  andhe wants to do something about it as a governor was a way for him to really hit the ground running though.

I think D.A. Sarelli is right: sometimes it's important to just believe in something.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, and it had the moral ambiguity to it that I like in a Vice episode, which is definitely something I believe in:-)

• Like 2