Godley & Creme in Definitely Miami

Sonny-Burnett

For those who may remember the original airing or have the tapes, I came across the following in IMDB and never knew about this bit of trivia. Would be interested to know if it is true. And if it is true, does anyone have the Hammer tracks?"~~Did You Know?TriviaAlthough Godley and Creme's "Cry" is closely associated to the Definitely Miami episode, it was not featured on the original NBC airing. Instead, an original Jan Hammer incidental piece - which sounds very similar to the guitar rhythm in "Cry" - in select scenes such as when Crockett (Don Johnson) drives out to the sand dune junkyard to confront Charlie Basset (Ted Nugent), and when Crockett appears on the beach to reveal he is a cop and arrests Callie (Arielle Dombasle). Godley and Creme's "Cry" replaced the Jan Hammer original score when Miami Vice went into TV syndication. "It's from here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0647056/

One of the best scenes of Miami Vice.Glad they used "Cry" but it would be interesting to hear Hammers score to it:cool:

Yeah if that article is correct then there is some unreleased Hammer that I don't think I have ever heard or at least I don't remember it when the series first ran. Any new Hammer from MV is something special.Would also be interested in hearing from those who may have taped the Episode back in the day.

I'm pretty sure I saw a video on youtube that pointed out that the music was different in the season 3 episode "By Hooker, By Crook" when DJ and MG have their sex scene. So I'll chalk this up as example #2 of the music not being as it was originally heard.

Very interesting facts!I only saw the one with G&C so it's etched in my mind. (I love that song and long time fan of 10CC)I would love to see that version however...

Very interesting facts!I only saw the one with G&C so it's etched in my mind. (I love that song and long time fan of 10CC)I would love to see that version however...

It's my favorite EP and that scene at the end is Iconic. I had no idea that Hammer provided the track there early on, and I am still wanting to verify that and hopefully find someone who has the unreleased Tracks from Jan.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree Jim. That ending scene with "Cry" was perfect.

Wonder though if anyone in here has taped the original airing and would have the JH cues?

That is crazy. We haven't talked about any Easter eggs like this in awhile. Wouldn't it be great to hear that original score just for curiosity's sake.

• Administrators

Could it be the same track used about 11 minutes into the episode when they walk into the hotel bar? That sounds similar to Cry.The scene where Crockett says "It's so hot you can fry an egg on my face".

That is crazy. We haven't talked about any Easter eggs like this in awhile. Wouldn't it be great to hear that original score just for curiosity's sake.

I know. I wish that one of the members here who may have recorded the original broadcast back in the day could weigh in on this topic. :shout:

• 3 months later...
Guest MetroVice

I always liked his episode but never knew there was originally a Hammer score to the original. I also hope someone can find it so we can all experience it :)

I always liked his episode but never knew there was originally a Hammer score to the original. I also hope someone can find it so we can all experience it :)

wow - never knew that  ;(  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 12/15/2013 at 12:36 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Although Godley and Creme's "Cry" is closely associated to the Definitely Miami episode, it was not featured on the original NBC airing. Instead, an original Jan Hammer incidental piece - which sounds very similar to the guitar rhythm in "Cry" - in select scenes such as when Crockett (Don Johnson) drives out to the sand dune junkyard to confront Charlie Basset (Ted Nugent), and when Crockett appears on the beach to reveal he is a cop and arrests Callie (Arielle Dombasle). Godley and Creme's "Cry" replaced the Jan Hammer original score when Miami Vice went into TV syndication. "

It's from here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0647056/

Anybody remember if this is true?  I thought there was a discussion here that concluded it was untrue.  I can't find the thread, though.

@Dadrian  @Ferrariman

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

Anybody remember if this is true?  I thought there was a discussion here that concluded it was untrue.  I can't find the thread, though.

@Dadrian  @Ferrariman

If I’d heard of this before, I’ve forgotten it. Maybe some original viewers here like Fman and @ivoryjones can weigh in...

• Administrators

That's news to me.  I was lucky enough to be there for the original airings and "Cry" was always in the episode.  I don't doubt it's a possibility that there was a last minute change but the "Cry" version is the only one I've ever known.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

there is a 6:58' remix version of "Cry" which I think is the one that was used on the episode. Maybe the person whop posted that trivia record on imdb took it to be a JH tune, as it has extended instrumental parts.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:12 PM, daytona365 said:

there is a 6:58' remix version of "Cry" which I think is the one that was used on the episode. Maybe the person whop posted that trivia record on imdb took it to be a JH tune, as it has extended instrumental parts.

Thankyou - good to know I didn’t know that.

• 1 month later...

I know @Ferrarimanconfirmed this, but @ivoryjones also confirmed that the original January 10, 1986 airing had “Cry” at the end. He even posted a video clip from that airing in the thread attached. But yes, some of Jan Hammer’s work on this episode does seem influenced by the “Cry” song! A great unreleased song, but Mr. @Dadrian Wilson covered it to perfection!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2