Godley & Creme in Definitely Miami

Sonny-Burnett

6 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

No problem. I think the 2010 version and the earlier version are spot on, though!

Thanks. The notes are mostly right, but some of the sounds are incorrect. The cover is enjoyable and really close, but the bass is the wrong DX7 patch, the pads are from a Juno-106 (all I had), and the mix is way off. I could do so much better with the gear I have now—right down to the exact Fairlight VSC that was used for the airy “heat” sound at the beginning. At the time, I only had a crude, lo-fi sample. 

5 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Thanks. The notes are mostly right, but some of the sounds are incorrect. The cover is enjoyable and really close, but the bass is the wrong DX7 patch, the pads are from a Juno-106 (all I had), and the mix is way off. I could do so much better with the gear I have now—right down to the exact Fairlight VSC that was used for the airy “heat” sound at the beginning. At the time, I only had a crude, lo-fi sample. 

No problem. I just re-listened to the Marty Castillo rip on YouTube and it does sound like the DX7 bass patch with many different names, lol. It’s the kind of slap-ish one. Some people refer to it as “Superbass” but it’s different than the DX7 mk. II “Superbass”. I believe it first started out as a patch on the Yamaha TX816 named bass # something. I believe he used the same patch on “New York Theme” and others. But you may know more than I do! I do consider myself a connoisseur of DX7 mk. 1. :cool:

Edited by AndrewRemington

2 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

I believe he used the same patch on “New York Theme”

It’s actually different from that one. The slap bass he used in Definitely Miami is called “Stein bass” in my library. Also, my mk 1 had a patch called “pop bass” that was identical. I can’t remember the name of the patch for NY the slap bass though. The main bass throughout that song is from the Memorymoog. It’s had a fingered bass sound. Jan used that one a lot!

18 minutes ago, timm525 said:

If you don’t speak English, I swear I’m gonna slap you! :)

Gimme jer finger 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

It’s actually different from that one. The slap bass he used in Definitely Miami is called “Stein bass” in my library. Also, my mk 1 had a patch called “pop bass” that was identical. I can’t remember the name of the patch for NY the slap bass though. The main bass throughout that song is from the Memorymoog. It’s had a fingered bass sound. Jan used that one a lot!

Hmm, not to seem confrontational, but I may need to demo out what I thought it was. I thought I was right, but some patches even throughout different synths can sound very similar. I haven’t heard of “pop bass”, that might be a custom patch programmed on it. I know that wasn’t a factory patch. The North American DX7 only had E. Bass 1 and Fretless factory programmed. The European and Asian version had Bass 1 and Bass 2 which were the same.

Sounds really close. Totally could be the right patch! So many different names for so many similar sounds!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'll continue with my necroposting. I totally forgot about this. What for me was the most iconic (and my favorite) moment of the series, even above In the Air Tonight, wouldn't even seem right with Jan Hammer's music, even though it's normally perfection.