The Making of Miami Vice... 1986 book by Trish and Rob McGregor

Icemanmike

I got this in digital form on my NOOK this past summer and found it fascinating as it was written during the end of season 2 and has some wonderful incite on the series and especially(my favorite part) some behind the scenes stories. It was just released in digital form in 2012. Has a fun 'where are they now' segment in the back and also breaks down each episode with a brief description. If you haven't read it , I recommend. No pictures on the digital form.... Not sure if it originally did though....?Sorry it's been awhile, I've been trying to start a business, working a ton and having good and a few bad days with my health(those that remember, the cancer is doing well and I feel pretty good for the most part). I started a new job a few month's ago and I still have time for my 8-10 episodes a week of 'VICE' to get my by... Just saying hello as I should have taken more time keeping tabs and being around here more often. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas season and look forward to a fun and exciting new year! Mike

No pictures on the digital form.... Not sure if it originally did though....?

In the original book, there are two sets of 8 pages of behind the scenes photos, I'm surprised they didn't include them in the e-book...

I recently posted several parts of the EBook ' date=' I purchased mine in Nov. and it's been a fun read ![/quote']Thanks for information :balloon::funky::cheers:

• 1 year later...

Has anyone read this book?    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0814334199?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm thinking of ordering it, but there really doesn't seem to be a lot of book choices written by anyone closely involved with the show.  

Yes, about 5 years ago.  It is more of a thesis on the show than anything else.  I enjoyed it, but it goes deep into themes and things like that.  My suggestion is to see if you can preview it on Amazon's site with their "Look Inside" feature, that way you'll get a better idea if you want to buy it...  

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 1

Has anyone read this book?    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0814334199?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm thinking of ordering it, but there really doesn't seem to be a lot of book choices written by anyone closely involved with the show.  

I have only read pieces of The making of Miami Vice book on google/books and about the cast posted by Pink Flaming0. This is possibly one of the books, that comes closest to giving an inside look to the production and everyday on set. 

An extract from the book

2qwn6ms.jpg

23j33ua.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you summer84 for the great preview!  Much appreciated!  

Also thank you for the feedback mvnyc and Jim!  I would love to read The Making of Miami Vice, but it's $50 for a used book.  I may have to borrow a Kindle and only pay $3.99!   :)

• Like 1

Thank you summer84 for the great preview!  Much appreciated!  

Also thank you for the feedback mvnyc and Jim!  I would love to read The Making of Miami Vice, but it's $50 for a used book.  I may have to borrow a Kindle and only pay $3.99!   :)

You can buy that book used for as little as a penny (plus $3.99 shipping on Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Miami-Vice-Trish-Janeshutz/dp/0345336690

• Like 2

I just want to clarify that there are two different books being discussed in this thread:

• "Miami Vice" by Steven Sanders
  • "The Making of Miami Vice" by Trish Janeshutz and Rob MacGregor
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I bought the book by Steven Sanders a while ago.

The book is written from a highly educated film and art critic's point of view. It's a predominantly academic analysis of the TV series through the lens of cinematic, social and political science. It's in a similar vein as the essay "Miami Vice: The Legacy of Film Noir" by Jeremy G. Butler from 1985, which I found on the Internet as a PDF also a while ago.

But I think that's a good thing. It gives some academic validity to the idea of Miami Vice not just being pretty television or a self-indulgent pastiche of 1980s zeitgeist, but a milestone in television history that is deserving of recognition by film critics and historians.

For what it is, it's worth the 20 bucks. It's a bite-size 100-page book with plenty of thought-provoking ideas. But it's not the "Working Man's Picturebook Guide to Miami Vice".

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1