What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

6 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

I've just discovered the song "Eyes of a Stranger" by Payola$, from season 4's "Badge of Dishonor", is finally available digitally through iTunes, so I've been playing that.

Every year, the list of great Vice tracks that I only have as crappy quality YouTube rips gets smaller and smaller :D

"Eyes of Stranger" is used in that Nic Cage film Valley Girl. (1983) That's what I associate it with.

This Icehouse / Flowers band has a similar vibe. Someone already had the same idea.

Edited by Marc

11 hours ago, Marc said:

This Icehouse / Flowers band has a similar vibe. Someone already had the same idea.

I can't say I really know much about Icehouse, but they did this song below which I absolutely love. I actually first came across it because of its use in the British comedy sketch show Trigger Happy TV, but I always thought it had a Vice sound.

Edited by Leigh Burne
  • Like 1

Kombi is a musical band from Poland, founded in 1969 in Gdańsk by Sławomir Łosowski (bald synthesizer player with moustache). In the beginning, the group played mostly experimental, jazz music. In second half of 70s they turned into funk rock, later in the 80s their style turned towards synthpop.

They used such musical equipment as Commodore 64 as a MIDI sequencer, Prophet 5, Mini Korg 700s and Simmons SDS-V electronic drum kit. The band was known for its characteristic sound, based on state-of-the-art electronic instruments often modified by Łosowski.

What do you think @James @Dadrian @Jerry B. ? :)

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crockettt said:

Kombi is a musical band from Poland, founded in 1969 in Gdańsk by Sławomir Łosowski (bald synthesizer player with moustache). In the beginning, the group played mostly experimental, jazz music. In second half of 70s they turned into funk rock, later their style turned towards synthpop.

Nice to see something different and from non-english speaking countries. 

8 hours ago, Marc said:

I always have time for a soundtrack featuring Eric Clapton. I just recently re-watched the British TV series Edge of Darkness, the music for which was done by him and Michael Kamen.

Might have to track that movie down.

• Administrators

Today was a beautiful warm spring September day here, I put on my light tan pants for the first time since last summer (time to pack away the dark winter clothes and break out the Vice summer wear). Thought I'd kickstart the summer vibes with some Latin Jazz and Salsa.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

If I remember correctly, this song was done almost entirely on a Fairlight.

You remember correctly. :thumbsup:

She and Peter Gabriel were among the first (if not the second and first, respectively) to own a Fairlight CMI. 

This track from 1996 could be one of the final times that the Fairlight's  ARR1 patch was used in mainstream chart music.

I think I remember reading back in the day that the producers of the music project Snap! were mainly working with the Notator/Emagic/Logic environments on the Atari ST platform, so it may be that that the ARR1 was re-sampled for the Atari. I think that happened often back then as technology was moving on.

Edited by Daytona74