Miami Twice - Location Help Needed Please

CarolineUK

Hi all

I have loved the "Miami Twice" episode of the British comedy "Only Fools & Horses" since it aired in 1991 (not the one with added canned laughter though which drowns the actors). It is great to see Miami area as it was before the place expanded from what we loved about the Miami Vice location days.

Although I have managed to locate most of the locations in the episode, the main one I'd love to find is the large house belonging to the mafia don "Don Ochetti" and his family. I realise by now his mansion is likely to have been demolished (given the way everything is being developed) but I wonder if any eagle-eyed members recognise the street/surrounding buildings etc to pinpoint it.

In the episode they mention Coco Walk and also a restaurant on South Bay & Fair Isle called Carlotti's (which is probably fake?) The bay the restaurant overlooks, I think is Biscayne Bay down (or up) from Vizcaya. Because they mention Coco Walk, and because the street the house is located on has a split carriageway, I've always thought it is around Coral Gables/coconut Grove. I may be wrong and it is elsewhere in Miami.

Many thanks to anyone who has ideas on this

post-5365-0-65855800-1390128284_thumb.jp

There is a 30mph speed sign in the street and the biggest clue may be the large square white building in the distance to the right. I thought it looked like a hospital? I can't make the photo larger so you may need to see my album - link below

Any help would be appreciated. I have some shots of the Miami actors used in the episode who have been guests in MV but due to file size, I'll upload them later for you to see although all of them can be seen on my photobucket album for the episode:

http://s988.photobucket.com/user/suzyuk111/library/Miami%20Twice%20locations

Sue  

Edited by CarolineUK
  • Like 1

I found the location of the house. It's 4950 Pine Tree Drive, Miami Beach. It was seen in Vice in Heroes of the Revolution and was also in the opening credits of Deep Throat. It's still there.The location work in that OFAH episode was great. RIP Trigger.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 1

I found the location of the house. It's 4950 Pine Tree Drive, Miami Beach. It was seen in Vice in Heroes of the Revolution and was also in the opening credits of Deep Throat. It's still there.The location work in that OFAH episode was great. RIP Trigger.

I would quite like to catch that episode to see the Miami Twice locations ;)

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Tommy. I want to visit the location in May. I loved the episode because it was such a big nod to Vice - the locations, the actors, the great intro music by the Gutter Brothers which was *so* Jan Hammer. I appreciate that the Brit sense of humour is sometimes different to that of our American friends & this episode is one of a very long run of an iconic British comedy series where we loved the characters - but it is worth a watch to just enjoy the sun, places, music etc. Any idea which club was used where they meet the "family"? It has neon of Luke's outside but it could have been an added extra by Mr Neon

Matt5, it is still available on amazon with both parts of the Christmas special - Damien's christening in part one and "Oh to be in England" which is the Miami episode. If you are in the UK, it gets a regular airing on the Dave channel :)

The actor who rents the Trotters their RV is the man who delivers the cot to Caroline when Sonny is in Georgia; attorney Salvatore is one of the Trust Fund pirates: the Colombian drug baron starred in Vice five times and was also Campos in Burn Notice; and Antoni Corrone plays Rico/Ricardo (another nod to vice!) and was in a few eps but especially remembered as the plumber in Heart of Darkness and a bad policeman in Whatever works. On my photobucket there are some caps of them.

Many thanks again. And yes, RIP Trigger aka Roger Lloyd Pack, a brilliant understated actor who will be missed

Sue

Edited by CarolineUK
  • Like 1

On Bing maps birds eye view, the house and grounds are the same as when Del Boy and Rodney were there - Italian-style fountains, tennis courts and all but alas on google maps you can see a lot of the outer buildings, tennis courts, etc have been demolished/dug up so all that remains is the main house and the arch plus a lot of workmen's trucks. I'm glad I got to see the building I've been searching for, albeit on bing maps. It turns out I'm only going to be staying about five minutes' drive from it when I visit there soon.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

For those who like the Miami episode, on my recent trip to the US, I saw the Ochetti mansion. The road outside of it is currently being dug up - the road works are pretty extensive to the other side of the road bridge, however I did manage to slow down and notice that yes, the arch has gone at the driveway. However, not to be defeated I went over to Collins Avenue and found the house from the other side of the Intracoastal. It hasn't changed since Del Boy and Rodney climbed down when they were escaping from the Italians - well, just the climbing ivy which helped them as a "ladder" in their escape from the top floor.

post-5365-0-35224400-1400705394_thumb.jp

I have also found out that the nightclub where they initially meet Rico Ochetti and the others is on 5th St & Lenox - just steps from the shopping centre which I visited several times when I was in south Beach last week! It is now Club Play and was formerly Luke's. I cannot believe that I passed it on this and previous trips and didn't realise it was a location!! Another coincidence is that it is right next door to the exclusive car hire people - and I got a picture of the sports cars: in the left corner is the edge of the Club Play building. Looking at the street view on google, I can now recognise the building from the Miami Twice scenes.

post-5365-0-57279300-1400705424_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-47445000-1400705447_thumb.jp

It has taught me how easy it is to overlook the obvious as I've seen both buildings on my visits to the area & it never clicked with me.

Finally, the building where Del & Rodney hire their camper van from is believed to be at Cars King, NW 27th Avenue, Miami. The site I found it on said that the awning has changed but the layout is the same. I need to watch the episode again to check it out.

Following on from my post above I've looked on google and Cars King has changed its name, but until I've re-watched the episode and I'm sure the car dealership is the one the Trotters visited, then I'll give the exact location. The street was definitely used for the driving on the wrong side of the road scenes. I've been looking for this stretch of road for ages so it is good to see the Lumber building is still there with most of its 1980s signage!

Then:

post-5365-0-68134700-1400707417_thumb.jp

Now:

post-5365-0-96004100-1400707433_thumb.jp

• 9 years later...

Hi  joining a few years late I know but does anyone know if the jetski set up was on miami beach as a friend swears it's clearwater. Thanks.