Episode #80 "The Cows Of October"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

One of my least favorite. This one is just above Missing Hours in my opinion.1 for me.

• Administrators

The only reason I gave it a 1 was because zero wasn't an option!

I completely agree with timm525 and Ferrariman!! This episode was stupid and pathetic! :sick: It is only second to being the worst episode of the series next to "Missing Hours"--which is the ultimate worst! :evil: The only reason I gave "Cows" a 2...was because it wasn't "Missing Hours." :thumbsdown:

I watched this one a few month's ago to confirm what we all know to be true:....This has to be the biggest embarrasment known to all the VICE episodes....Yech!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:....Mike

I do not like this ep ( duh)I sat it out because I wanted to write a substantiated review of it but very soon in the ep I was looking for som good shoots of something in the backgroud.The scene of Stanley and Rico at the farm were the learn about cows was a little bit funny but had no meaning further on in the ep. They didnot try to be unvercover further on in the ep or something.Too much IzzyTo me the scenes DJ played were strikingHe was verry distant this ep just if to say I do not like this ep either Just like in the scene the FBI men is giving a lecture in the tactic room. He sits with his back to everybody. ( at some point I even thought it wasn't him because his hands looked different)The acting was poor in this ep and so was the screen play.At the scene were Izzi is standing on the railroad track there is a mistake with the suitcase with the money. It was taken away by the guy whom brings the sperm. And in the next scene you sea it standing next to Izzi and the scene after that it is away again.If I had to pick two favourite scenes:It would be Rico and Sonny at the archivecabinet.And for the colour use Sonny with his feet on the table in the hotel suite when the cowboy is explaning and is trying to get away.Although I hate to give such a low grade to my favourite series it is a 1 from me for the effort they put in.

I think that this episode doesn't deserve more than 1.To put it in a nutshell,it's among the very few Miami Vice episodes which existence I want to forget.

Guest neworder

What a great idea, after digging the grave for Miami Vice with Missing Hours the writers pretty much went and theoretically lowered the coffin with this episode. I rated this a 5 on .org? Must have been pissed. Harry Shearer is alright in this episode however, and maybe the odd laugh ... and I suppose the music is ok. But everything else is terrible. This isn't as bad as Missing Hours because I suppose the storyline is theoretically realistic in this one. So a generous (compared to all the other ratings so far) 3/10 from me!P.S apologies for using theoretical twice, I've just had an exam.

This episode is a steaming pile of cow crap. 1/10

Don't you mean a pile of cow semen? :) Sorry' date=' but pun is almost always [i']intended with me. :pYes, this episode is horrible and an embarassment to the series...only second to the worst episode compared to a pile of alien crap/semen--"Missing Hours!" :eek:Both episodes are pathetic and unbelievably ridiculous for "MV!" I hardly ever watch either episode when going through my DVD sets. :thumbsdown:

• Administrators

Just wait, that last of the eyesores will be coming up shortly. Leap of Faith. :thumbsdown:

Guest neworder
Just wait' date=' that last of the eyesores will be coming up shortly. Leap of Faith. :thumbsdown:[/quote']Yep that literally is the bottom of the barrel, at least this and Missing Hours has the Miami Vice cast in them for more than 5 minutes!!!

Yeah, "Leap of Faith" wasn't that good either as the "MV" cast was only in the beginning. I believe this episode was supposedly a test "Pilot" to possibly start a new show with Joey Harden (Justin Lazard), and the other "goofy" characters, as the stars--with their own Youth Crime Vice Unit. :rolleyes: Whatever! :) As we know, that new show idea never went past this episode. ;) The plot itself wasn't terrible...I just didn't like the bizarre cast. However, Keith Gordon will always play an awesome "bad guy" or psycho--with those wild eyes! :glossy: Awesome actor--I'll always remember him as 'Arnie Cunningham' in John Carpenter's 1983 movie version of Stephen King's best-seller novel: "Christine!" :thumbsup:But, I still don't think "Leap of Faith" was as bad or pathetic as "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October!"

This episode is usually listed as one of the worst...along with "Missing Hrs.", "Amen" etc. My wife & I watched it after a long time last night and her main comment was "That was stupid!" I thought she meant the episode but she said "how could Stan, Gina, etc. be so dumb as to fall for Calvin's con job?" P.S. - She didn't like Sonny's striped shirt. I call this : Miami Vice meets Bonanza. No, it is not a classic "vice" episode, but a con man is in vice's domain. It's really about a little bull. If anyone is a fan of Izzy, this episode gives him carte blanche with the middleman role & he made me split my sides laughing! DJ must have been on a little vacation, since he is only seen, briefly, in the beginning, middle & end. He is even hoodwinked by Calvin Teal!! There are a lot of funny one-liners by Stan, Rico & Sonny. But Izzy is the Star His Cuban-cowboy outfit & the way he quotes & mis-quotes movie lines & the English language in general is......hilarious. eg.- ("Artificial insubordination") Also, the way he keeps raising the price of the bull seamen, over his phone bank, with his "conference call" - putting 2 phones together. Everyone calls Izzy some kind of name ( Cuban cockaroach), or comically says what they are going to do to him. Rojas had him hanging by his feet with the tough chic pushing him around. Izzy makes my day! The music was "Good, Bad & Ugly", "Bonanza" and other old western favorites. Well, I guess you can see I enjoyed "Cows of October" & I must give it an 8.5 for Izzy & all the laughs he gave me. I'm lowering my rating of "Cows" for this poll....but only to a 7.Since I love Miami Vice, I could never give a rating of 0 or 1. I rate the episodes according to how much I enjoy them. "Cows" is not a true 'vice' episode but I really enjoyed Izzy and the comedy in this episode. I wouldn't watch it as often as most other episodes but when I watch it....it gives me 7 points of satisfaction.

Haters gonna hate!!Things I appreciated:-First and foremost, a departure from the serious episodes for fun! Doesn't everyone love Izzy? This ep provided a much needed comedic respite from the mood of season 4. Izzy's just a fun character! The scene with the bull whips...- Guest actor (cowboy) did a good job.- Izzy's apartment - reminds me of the architecture of Gaudi's Art Nouveau.- The use of the theme from The Magnificent Seven during Izzy's climactic mangling of the trade-off. Mag. Seven was one of our greatest westerns. Izzy's wearing a duster and cowboy hat. I wonder where Tubbs got his hat earlier in the show? He just has a wardrobe for everything.- The intel weenie, a.k.a. principal Seymour Skinner from the Simpsons. I wonder if he was typecast early on for comic relief. That voice is so official and bureaucratic sounding to be over the top. I wonder if there's any way he does different roles in his other work other than comic? Anyway, love that voice.- Gina was looking very deelish and shapely as usual. Wish I could elaborate, but this is not the locker room.- This show was dedicated to Kay Talbott (Kay is up 75% this week in interest on IMDB, wonder why that is ;) ) Anyone know the backstory there? - 7/10. I do admit I got pulled away more than once while watching this by news websites & other online distractions.

Izzy? This ep provided a much needed comedic respite from the mood of season 4. Izzy's just a fun character! The scene with the bull whips...- Guest actor (cowboy) did a good job.- Izzy's apartment - reminds me of the architecture of Gaudi's Art Nouveau.- The use of the theme from The Magnificent Seven during Izzy's climactic mangling of the trade-off. Mag. Seven was one of our greatest westerns. Izzy's wearing a duster and cowboy hat. I wonder where Tubbs got his hat earlier in the show? He just has a wardrobe for everything.- The intel weenie, a.k.a. principal Seymour Skinner from the Simpsons. I wonder if he was typecast early on for comic relief. That voice is so official and bureaucratic sounding to be over the top. I wonder if there's any way he does different roles in his other work other than comic? Anyway, love that voice.- Gina was looking very deelish and shapely as usual. Wish I could elaborate, but this is not the locker room.- This show was dedicated to Kay Talbott (Kay is up 75% this week in interest on IMDB, wonder why that is ;) ) Anyone know the backstory there? - 7/10. I do admit I got pulled away more than once while watching this by news websites & other online distractions.

Actually, I never really liked the goof-ball, idiot characters like Izzy or Noogie much. They were just too stupid and annoying to be funny! :evil: They just irritated the crap out of me most of the time. However, I can handle Izzy over Noogie--who in my opinion was the worst! :rolleyes:Gina was always "hot" ;) and a good actress--my favorite edition to the Vice Team...and they should have done more with her character! I love the episodes that do deal with her!As for it being dedicated to Kay Talbot...don't know?? I'm assuming this was a realtive or spouse of Michael Talbot's (Switek)?Anyway, this episode is still just pathetic to me...mixing "MV" with "Rawhide" just doesn't work! :p

• 2 weeks later...

For this episode, I think I can easily go with the grain on this and grade it with a 1. For me, this was simply one of Miami Vice's most shameful eps, lol.

For this episode' date=' I think I can easily go with the grain on this and grade it with a 1. For me, this was simply one of Miami Vice's most shameful eps, lol.[/quote'] Definitely! I think the writers were either high, drunk, burnt out...or all 3 when they came up with this and "Missing Hours!" :radar:

• 8 months later...

ok, my first post in a thread, hope I'm doing this right...just watched this ep last night. rated it 1 but should have giving it a 2 because missing hours and the big thaw should get a 1 (or less actually) and this one was slightly better. (any way to change my vote?)way too much izzy, like him but only in small dosiscan't say too much about music, style, background etc cause I'm watching the whole series for the first time since the 80's, so it's like all new to me again. but this one was just bad, boring, kept watching the time hoping for it to be over soon. a few funny moments but that's about it.with the other two (or three actually, the one with the weird preacher dude wasnt great either) totally sucky eps I just hope this is the last bad one in season 4?

• 2 months later...

This is one of the worst episodes. I gave it 2 only because Izzy made me laugh in a few scenes, especially when he standing on the railroad and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly theme going in the backround.

This is one of the worst episodes. I gave it 2 only because Izzy made me laugh in a few scenes' date=' especially when he standing on the railroad and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly theme going in the backround.[/quote'] It's one of the better Izzy episodes, and the best of the "comedy" episodes from Season 4. Harry Shearer's character was pretty good, too. Still, that's not saying much.Give me Death and the Lady or Child's Play over this one.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I saw this epsiode for the first time last night. I didn't think it was all that bad. Maybe because I've been expecting terrible thing and was bracing for something dreadful (Missing Hours didn't disappoint on that score).It's a ridiculous episode, more like a MV spoof, but I did find it mildly entertaining, and thankfully Sheena Easton is barely in it. Not a good Vice epsiode but not one of the worst either. In the UK we have an annual charity event called 'comic relief' where TV shows /presenters make fun of themselves. This reminded me of one of those parody epsiodes (except they probably weren't doing it deliberately!)