Episode #80 "The Cows Of October"

Ferrariman

It's one of the better Izzy episodes' date=' and the best of the "comedy" episodes from Season 4. Harry Shearer's character was pretty good, too. Still, that's not saying much.Give me Death and the Lady or Child's Play over this one.[/quote']Not even Izzy could save this clunker. :sick:

• 6 months later...

One of my least favorite. This one is just above Missing Hours in my opinion.1 for me.

The only reason I gave it a 1 was because zero wasn't an option!

I completely agree with timm525 and Ferrariman!! This episode was stupid and pathetic! :sick: It is only second to being the worst episode of the series next to "Missing Hours"--which is the ultimate worst! :evil: The only reason I gave "Cows" a 2...was because it wasn't "Missing Hours." :thumbsdown:

This was my original statement and rating of this episode...referring to the two above posts. Nothing much has changed. "Cows of October" is one of the worst episodes of the series and the plot, and how it was carried out was pathetic! :rolleyes:This was a slap-stick bunch of hicks that ran around like spastic crack-heads to try and get a hold of some whacked out bull semen. :sick: This one has you asking...what the he**?? :radar: But, this is actually in 2nd place for being the worst episode of the series...as "Missing Hours" is crowned as the all-time, ultimate worst episode ever! But, "Cows" comes in a darn close second. I don't know about bull semen...but this episode is definitely bull "crap". :p But, I guess I can take cow sh** over alien sh**. :eek: Still a 2 to me...only reason it isn't a 1 (or a -10) is it isn't "Missing Hours". :thumbsdown:

"Cows of October" is one of the worst episodes of the series and the plot' date=' and how it was carried out was pathetic! :rolleyes:This was a slap-stick bunch of hicks that ran around like spastic crack-heads to try and get a hold of some whacked out bull semen. :sick: This one has you asking...what the he**?? :radar: But, this is actually in 2nd place for being the worst episode of the series...as "Missing Hours" is crowned as the all-time, ultimate worst episode ever! But, "Cows" comes in a darn close second. I don't know about bull semen...but this episode is definitely bull "crap". :p But, I guess I can take cow sh** over alien sh**. :eek: Still a 2 to me...only reason it isn't a 1 (or a -10) is it isn't "Missing Hours". :thumbsdown:[/quote']I still stand by my review...it's only 2nd to being the worst episode to "Missing Hours". :thumbsdown:

• 1 year later...

Funny episode - great for Izzy scenes . :clap::D:shout:

But it is still weak episode. I truly love Izzy, but it was too much to stand for me, especially scene at the railroad.

• 11 months later...

This episode was slightly better than "Missing Hours" because at least the tone in "The Cows of October" maintained its humor, unlike "Missing Hours" which had a schizophrenic tone which alternated between humor and horror that made the overall episode turn out poorly.

I was really waiting for somebody to say the line, "You know... this is all nothing but a bunch of bull." :)    But anyways...

Of course, Stan's sarcasm and Izzy's behavior were both the comedic highlights of the episode which I enjoyed, but again what makes the episode have a sour taste is the incompetency the government/OCB (which was also briefly shown in "The Big Thaw").  With all of the resources the FBI has, it's bizarre that the government did not scrutinize and critically look into Calvin Teal's claims since he was bunco artist... though Crockett was able to easily obtain information of this.

The comedy was good but the premise was again too far fetched (though not as bad as "Missing Hours").  One idea they could have used for a lighter comedic episode, would have been to have a scam artist (posing as a local girl scout trope) tricking the OCB team at their home lives in getting their money for fundraising, and in the process, have the OCB team gradually discuss and eventually discover the fundraising to be a scam rather than using the outlandish bull semen premise. 

If they wanted comedic episodes, again they should have focused on the lighter moments within the OCB team (such as in "Made For Each Other" from Season 1) or the activites they do outside of their work (such as in "Phil the Shill" in Season 2 when Stan and Larry visit a game show) which, in the process, highlights the friendship they have outside of their work and creates a deeper emotional impact when tragedy strikes, rather than reaching and stretching for something so wild and bizarre to generate laughs.  For example, those two episodes ("Made For Each Other" and "Phil the Shill") make the death of Larry Zito in "Down For the Count" have a greater impact than if we didn't have those two episodes since it revealed their bond (Stan and Larry) extending beyond their co-worker relationship.

Edited by Vice Immersion

• 10 months later...

The only good thing about this episode? No Sheena Easton! We get a break from her horrible acting here, so that's enough to earn it 2 out of 10. 

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, Tony_MontanaCDL said:

The only good thing about this episode? No Sheena Easton! We get a break from her horrible acting here, so that's enough to earn it 2 out of 10. 

Lol...though I was more turned off by her singing than her acting  :)  

At times I thought her caustic behavior was a match for Sonny.

Another Prince protégé... but I did like her singing "For Your Eyes Only" and, well that was it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Lol...though I was more turned off by her singing than her acting  :)  

At times I thought her caustic behavior was a match for Sonny.

Another Prince protégé... but I did like her singing "For Your Eyes Only" and, well that was it.

Yeah the singing isn't that great. From the show standpoint, I have no idea what they were thinking putting Sonny with a high profile celebrity. They tried to go with it and make it work but it was a recipe for disaster to start with. 

• 1 year later...

Ok reviewing this episode. Lord give me strength.

We'll I chuckled when Crockett tells Izzy to shut up at the end.

No comment on the rest.

1/10

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Remington said:

Ok reviewing this episode. Lord give me strength.

We'll I chuckled when Crockett tells Izzy to shut up at the end.

No comment on the rest.

1/10

The only worse episode than this is Missing Hours...I'll comment on that one later (again, as I've ranted about it many times before), lol! 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2013 at 1:52 AM, ViceFanMan said:

"Cows of October" is one of the worst episodes of the series and the plot, and how it was carried out was pathetic! :rolleyes:This was a slap-stick bunch of hicks that ran around like spastic crack-heads to try and get a hold of some whacked out bull semen. :sick: This one has you asking...what the he**?? :radar: But, this is actually in 2nd place for being the worst episode of the series...as "Missing Hours" is crowned as the all-time, ultimate worst episode ever! But, "Cows" comes in a darn close second. I don't know about bull semen...but this episode is definitely bull "crap". :p But, I guess I can take cow sh** over alien sh**. :eek: Still a 2 to me...only reason it isn't a 1 (or a -10) is it isn't "Missing Hours". :thumbsdown:

This was one of my reviews from a few years ago...nothing has really changed, lol! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Atrocious episode, just like Missing Hours and The Big Thaw. 

Dick Wolf was such an innovator ?(

0/10 

Lol...you really don’t like Dick Wolf, do you. Haven’t heard the word “atrocious” for a long time...I like it! :thumbsup: It definitely fits for this episode. I don’t know if Wolf actually wanted or requested these episodes be made...the writers were the true problem. They’re the ones who wrote these pieces of garbage, and had obviously given up by this time. It’s almost like they were purposely trying to screw the show over. :evil: 

15 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol...you really don’t like Dick Wolf, do you. Haven’t heard the word “atrocious” for a long time...I like it! :thumbsup: It definitely fits for this episode. I don’t know if Wolf actually wanted or requested these episodes be made...the writers were the true problem. They’re the ones who wrote these pieces of garbage, and had obviously given up by this time. It’s almost like they were purposely trying to screw the show over. :evil: 

Yeah but the show at this point was under his full control, he could have easily have said no, and gone with routine crime stories.

Edited by RedDragon86

11 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah but the show at this point was under his full control, he could have easily have said no, and gone with routine crime stories.

This is true...I would have definitely refused Missing Hours & Cows of October! The writers would have been fired if I’d of been in control. However, the producers probably wouldn’t have let that happen, as by the time Wolf was given the proverbial reins, the show was winding down and wasn’t being given the budget it once had before. But they still could have come up with better episodes than those 2! Again, it’s almost like they purposely wanted to ruin the show, and created the worst possible episodes they could. 

2 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Maybe Wolf honestly felt Cows was funny and thought that we would too, but he just has a lame sense of humor.

Maybe so. But the humor was lost on everyone! :p  I never liked much stupid-humor on shows like MV. A little banter between Crockett and Tubbs, or with them and the girls was cool...but other than that, MV was a serious crime-drama for its time. From Izzy or Noogie, to stupidity at its best with episodes like Missing or Cows...I didn’t care for the slap-stick moments. 

• Like 1

I agree.  That's why I don't give Made For Each Other a pass like so many other people here do.  Just because that ep was in the revered S1 doesn't automatically mean it's good.

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

I agree.  That's why I don't give Made For Each Other a pass like so many other people here do.  Just because that ep was in the revered S1 doesn't automatically mean it's good.

Amen!! :clap: I can hardly stand that episode...it too was way too ridiculous and out-of-place, Season 1 or not. I’m actually glad to hear someone else doesn’t think it’s wonderful, just because it’s Season 1!