Crockett's Season 3 Hairstyle

Kiaruda

Hello, fellow Vicers! I'm a new member here, a big fan of Don Johnson and Miami Vice!

So, without further ado, I wanted to make this topic as soon as I possibly could as this is something I'm having a lot of trouble with. So, I'm trying to get my hair to look like Don had it in MV's third season. I've been aiming for this look for over a year and I haven't managed to make it look quite right just yet. I'd like to ask any of you Vicers out there - does any one of you know how it was or may have been done?

A lot of the hairdressers in my area have told me that it was simply blow dried to look like that and even though I'm no hair expert, I still can't realize how that "spiky" look was done with just a blow dryer. Don's hair also seems incredibly natural when he wore it like that, indicating that not many hair products were used, yet his hair still stayed like that even during some of the more physical scenes as well as in windy conditions.

I've come to realize that my hair is a lot like Don's - it's thick, has a loose wave when it grows out but stays rather straight when it's short(er). When I do my hair, I always use a flat iron to maximize the straightness and then use hairspray to try to make it stay like that. But if it gets longer, let's say the length Don had in episodes like Cuba Libre and Theresa, it doesn't stay up no matter the amount of spray I use. Don't get me wrong, it stays spiky for a few minutes but a simple small breeze of wind messes it all up to hell.

Also, do you guys think that Don had it cut from the front in the later episodes? I think he did because it seems like his hair only grew out from the back with no noticeable changes in the "spiky" parts.

Well, anyway, if any of you has even the slightest idea on how it was done, please post here! I realize that Don's hair was done by a professional stylist and I can never get mine to look like exactly the same, but I'm looking for a look that as close as possible and one that stays styled despite the wind etc. After all, his stylist didn't perform any magic tricks so there's no reason why I couldn't do the same!

Any kind of help is really much appreciated! Thanks!

Not sure if my advice will help, but here's my 2 cents anyway. For the past 2 or so years I've pretty much been rockin' medium length hair like Don in seasons 1 and 2. Not the same style, but mostly in length (I tend to keep it shorter in the back and tuck the sides behind my ears). I've been using a hairspray from a brand named "Aussie", using their product "Instant Freeze". After showering or wetting my hair I towel dry it until it's mostly dry. I slick it back in that old school mafioso style. I then spray it all over relatively evenly, with the nozzle about 6 inches away from my hair (so the spray spreads out wide). Then I slick it back again until it's neat and no hair is sticking up. Gotta do it fairly quickly, as this is "instant freeze" after all. Then I let my hair sit for an undisclosed amount of time depending on where I'm going that day. The longer I let it sit, the better it holds and keeps my hair straight and in place once I've finished combing it, which I do later.

Once I get to work, or if it's a weekend I wait a few hours, I comb through it again. This removes the "wet" look that it has. It can hurt to do this, as this spray is stronger than gel. Once I've combed it through, I part it down the middle and mess around the front to give the bangs a little "flair". Once its done, my hair will stay in place perfectly fine no matter how strong the NYC winds are. I can "fix" it with my hands in 2 seconds once I get indoors again. Don't even need to carry a comb.

So if you were sporting Don's style from seasons 1 or 2, or even season 4, this might work for you. However, since you're going season 3, here's my other advice:

Buy a product made by Lo'real called "Overworked Hair Putty". You can get it at CVS pharmacy, or probably any pharmacy (Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Duane Reade, etc...). This is without a doubt the STRONGEST hair product I've ever used. THIS is the stuff to use when you want your hair to stand up straight even when it's a little longer than the "Spikey" length allows. On top of that, it's a "dry" look (unlike gel and mouse), so it looks more natural. But be forewarned, like the aformentioned hairspray, this stuf works FAST. Once you've applied it to a portion of your hair, you've got MAYBE 2 minutes before it kicks in. After that you're likely to pull the hair right outta the roots if you try to fuss with it further.

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

As for Don's hair length in season 3, I'd say it's only longest in the very front, with the bangs on the sides of his brow getting relatively shorter until it "fades"  or "tapers" shorter as you get closer to the ears. However, the very back and bottom is all the same length, yet longer than the shortest points above the ears. The back and bottom of his hair looks to be about an inch long. I'd say get it cut as it looks at the start of season 3, and just let it grow naturally as Don's did and see how your hair measures up to his throughout the course of the season.

Hope this helps. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to style it like Don in seasons 1 and 2. Only thing i've figured out is if I part it down the middle, but then slick back the very middle (removing the part), I get the front bangs to look exactly as Don's did. So I'm at least halfway there. Now if I could only figure out how to get my hair to "sit" properly over my ears as Don's does.

Edited by TylerDurden389

Thanks for the reply, it definitely helped!

I think the spiky parts of Don's hair only grow slightly throughout the whole season in comparison to the back which leads me to believe he had those shortened somewhere during the season's run.

Walk Alone

Eingefügtes Bild

By Hooker By Crook

Eingefügtes Bild

The top of the hair doesn't seem to grow much in contrast to the back, as seen here. Maybe I'm just paranoid but it seems to me that since the back of his hair grew so quickly that the top should've grown more than it did.

Anyway, I actually have my hair done so that it's a little shorter than what Don had at the beginning of season 3 and I was already planning on seeing how my hair grows compared to Don's and what it would look like if I let it grow to be like Don's in season 4. The only difference is that my hair is pretty short right behind the ears whereas the whole back part of Don's hair is all the same length.

However, I'm afraid I don't have access to those products you mentioned because I'm from Finland at the stores here are kinda crap, especially in my area. And how am I supposed to apply that Loreal product in my hair when it's spiky, anyway? Like I said, I'm totally no hair expert so I've had some help from the majority of hairdressers here. But, I do appreciate your comment, TylerDurden, and I would love to see your season 2 haircut. It's my favorite after seasons 3 and 4.

I think it's quite easy to achieve season 1 or 2 look, but it's a little time consuming.

Of cause, first of all it depends on the right cut shorter towards the face, gradually getting longer to the back, pretty much like most hairstyles in the early 80s.

I usually dry my hair with a towel, so that it's moist, but not wet. Then I massage good old trustworthy styling foam into my hair - the stronger, but not glossy variety. After that I comb it through, slick to the back, "mafioso style", like Tyler already mentioned.

After that, you need to blow dry you hair, from front to back, root to the tips, using your fingers like an imaginary scissor sliding through parts of your hair. This straightens my hair a bit, and this gives your hair great volume.

If you just apply something, slick it back and let it dry naturally, you won't have much volume in your hair, at least in most cases, I think.

By using the technique I suggest, you get more volume, and you can shape and bend your hair pretty accurately, and it stays like this for a couple of hours, if you don't sweat too much and if don't work in very wet or humid conditions.

Hairspray is just there to stabilize your hair style a bit longer, but it doesn't add that much to the look in itself.

Just try it out. It worked for me in the 80s, and it still works today, although my hair is a bit thinner these days. It works best, when my hair has the appropriate length in the front and sides. Length in the back isn't that crucial, imho.

I don't you'll be able to get Don's season 1 and 2 look 100%, if don't have the hair structure he had these days, but I do think you'll get a very close approximation, resembling quite a lot of hair styles you saw back in the days.

And it always helps, when you get some natural looking highlights in your hair, not too much contrast, more like highlights you would get from bright sunlight and saltwater.

I think it's quite easy to achieve season 1 or 2 look, but it's a little time consuming.

Of cause, first of all it depends on the right cut shorter towards the face, gradually getting longer to the back, pretty much like most hairstyles in the early 80s.

I usually dry my hair with a towel, so that it's moist, but not wet. Then I massage good old trustworthy styling foam into my hair - the stronger, but not glossy variety. After that I comb it through, slick to the back, "mafioso style", like Tyler already mentioned.

After that, you need to blow dry you hair, from front to back, root to the tips, using your fingers like an imaginary scissor sliding through parts of your hair. This straightens my hair a bit, and this gives your hair great volume.

If you just apply something, slick it back and let it dry naturally, you won't have much volume in your hair, at least in most cases, I think.

By using the technique I suggest, you get more volume, and you can shape and bend your hair pretty accurately, and it stays like this for a couple of hours, if you don't sweat too much and if don't work in very wet or humid conditions.

Hairspray is just there to stabilize your hair style a bit longer, but it doesn't add that much to the look in itself.

Just try it out. It worked for me in the 80s, and it still works today, although my hair is a bit thinner these days. It works best, when my hair has the appropriate length in the front and sides. Length in the back isn't that crucial, imho.

I don't you'll be able to get Don's season 1 and 2 look 100%, if don't have the hair structure he had these days, but I do think you'll get a very close approximation, resembling quite a lot of hair styles you saw back in the days.

And it always helps, when you get some natural looking highlights in your hair, not too much contrast, more like highlights you would get from bright sunlight and saltwater.

Season 3s is a great modern look - early Season 3 achieved with hairdryer hairspray and hair thickeners :D  :fireworks:  :fireworks:

I always liked Sonny's hair in Season 3 the best. It's neat, not too long and easy to keep manageable. I try to get the Season 3 look in my hair style.

• 3 years later...
On 2/6/2014 at 10:25 AM, Kiaruda said:

Hello, fellow Vicers! I'm a new member here, a big fan of Don Johnson and Miami Vice!

So, without further ado, I wanted to make this topic as soon as I possibly could as this is something I'm having a lot of trouble with. So, I'm trying to get my hair to look like Don had it in MV's third season. I've been aiming for this look for over a year and I haven't managed to make it look quite right just yet. I'd like to ask any of you Vicers out there - does any one of you know how it was or may have been done?

A lot of the hairdressers in my area have told me that it was simply blow dried to look like that and even though I'm no hair expert, I still can't realize how that "spiky" look was done with just a blow dryer. Don's hair also seems incredibly natural when he wore it like that, indicating that not many hair products were used, yet his hair still stayed like that even during some of the more physical scenes as well as in windy conditions.

I've come to realize that my hair is a lot like Don's - it's thick, has a loose wave when it grows out but stays rather straight when it's short(er). When I do my hair, I always use a flat iron to maximize the straightness and then use hairspray to try to make it stay like that. But if it gets longer, let's say the length Don had in episodes like Cuba Libre and Theresa, it doesn't stay up no matter the amount of spray I use. Don't get me wrong, it stays spiky for a few minutes but a simple small breeze of wind messes it all up to hell.

Also, do you guys think that Don had it cut from the front in the later episodes? I think he did because it seems like his hair only grew out from the back with no noticeable changes in the "spiky" parts.

Well, anyway, if any of you has even the slightest idea on how it was done, please post here! I realize that Don's hair was done by a professional stylist and I can never get mine to look like exactly the same, but I'm looking for a look that as close as possible and one that stays styled despite the wind etc. After all, his stylist didn't perform any magic tricks so there's no reason why I couldn't do the same!

Any kind of help is really much appreciated! Thanks!

I don't know how I missed this thread a few years back, but for posterity's sake of future referencing I'll add my observations.  Everyone's hair is different, so it's hard to pick something you like on someone else and duplicate it on yourself exactly.  Oftentimes you just have to do an homage that works for you.  That said, I seem to have been gifted with the same hair as Don Johnson (hate me).  Whatever his hair does at a certain length, my hair seems to just do on its own.  Only 5th season seems to be a challenge for me, I've not quite worked out how it is cut to achieve that or if there might be a perm involved.  

Basically when my hair is short on the top and sides, it just wants to stand on end just like 3rd season.  My hair is fine follicles with thick volume, so it tends to defy gravity when short.   This type of style is called a Detroit, in contrast to a crew cut or brush cut where the hair lays down on the sides and sticks straight up on the top.  Val Kilmer wore the same style for Top Gun around the same time.  Crockett kind of modified it with it a bit longer in back, and a little longer bangs to dangle on the forehead.  

For me when my hair is short, I can just shower with a good quality shampoo (light on the sulfates) and conditioner, then just brush it and let it air dry, and it does this style all on its own.  The only control I need is a simple application of mousse (I'm so '80s, still using Aussie) and it provides just enough control to sculpt it with my fingers and hold its volume for several days.  If I blow dry it, it tends to get staticy and cling in weird ways, even lay down.  I was told back then by my hair dresser I shouldn't be using mousse for control, only volume, and I should use gel to control my hair.  But gel just weights my hair down and makes it coarse.  I much prefer mousse and air dried to keep it soft and fun to run fingers through.  I'm pretty sure third season is just what Don's hair does naturally on it own, as that is what my hair does too.  For those with thinner volume and/or coarser follicles, it will take more effort to replicate this I guess.

Back in the mid to late '80s, I mostly wore my hair like earlier in the season with it shorter in back.  It met military requirements without making me look like a skinhead:

5a6a2fecc8ae1_ElViojo.png.f04a21770bf5a18b195ca9eaae7bddff.png

Toward the end of the season he was letting it grow long, likely as a head start for the long rock star hair of seasons 4 and 5.  This is what I did in the early '90s, when I could let it grow on IRR and no one bothered me, as I converted to a season 4 style.  I did this again recently when I decided I waited long enough for long hair again and went back to it:

13265069.jpg.acdbbd700ee0518888301058491a6657.jpg

To go from season 3 to season 4, you also go through a season 2 length as season 4 seams to just be a longer version of it:

26230481_2041140562797360_4562218692474404743_n.jpg.f9b85270ff5c44e69b760fc91897d739.jpg

Other interesting facts about Don Johnson's hair genetics is that he has a lot of recessive traits.  First being blonde, which requires two recessive blonde genes (if you remember your biology).  Blonde is more of a juvenile characteristic, and those who are blonde when kids tend to go brown or even black with age (until the gray takes over).  A few lucky people seem to keep it for life, but sun and/or chemicals are usually needed.  He has a receded hairline which is also a recessive trait, and I have this too which many people confusing with signs of balding (I have been told that I'm balding since I was a teenager, and my hairline has never changed).  It's not as evident in 3rd season, but when it's longer you can see Don has a wave to his hair which is actually a co-dominant trait between a curly gene and a straight gene.  I have this too, so as it lengthens it tends to self style itself instead of laying flat with the extra weight (although he said he permed for Dead Bang, so I don't know if he was also using some chemical help in 5th season).  And looking at his hair over the years, it does appear that he has two non-balding genes (one gets you bald on top, two get you really bald......nothing wrong with the bald genes if you got them, rock it).