Ep. 59 The Savage

Dadrian

I didn't see this location in the ep guide.maybe it's been in the trivia sometime past, but here goes:when crockett is chasing the savage down the alley, and the savage sets his car ablaze, he is parked in front of "the essex house" hotel at 10th and collins. if you look closely, you can see the "fairmont" (now fairwind) across the street from the now pink essex house.i stayed at the essex house in 2003, so this location jumped out at me today.if this is news to the location experts, this will be my second contribution to the location threads :dance:this location also appears in season 5's "jack of all trades" during the shootout where crockett rescues jack in front of the bar at the fairmont. that shot was from collins ave, and this one is from 10th st.Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 4:09am by airtommyVeterans Administration Rehabilitation Center This is on NW 23rd Avenue & NW North River Drive near the Miami River. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildI was surfing "bird's eye view" (finally I can actually see MV locations that I have sussed out). As I was looking at the Red Tape boat ramp, I had a DanJ Jedi moment and started getting vibes of familiarity with the area. I looked around, and suddenly saw this building which I recognized immediately. Posted: 11 April 2007 at 5:03pm by MATT5I am not 100% sure how deserted Flagler was way back in 1985 - just that teaser to "Florence Italy" looked pretty fabricated to me - considering how deserted the same streets were in "The Home Invaders" (teaser) and "Better Living Through Chemistry" when Tubbs meets ex partner. All I can say is they were completely deserted everytime Ive visited since 2003. Its funny ref. the fabricated street scene in "The Savage" that took place at the S end of S Miami Ave Bridge as just a few doors further South they fabricated the "Bad Timing" small town where Crockett went shopping with girlfriend and the cop was shot - that took place at the Southern most point of that street from S Miami Ave Bridge, with the bad guys turning off S Miami Ave onto SW7th St. Fabricated pretty badly I might add - you could see very briefly a few Downtown Miami skyscrapers in b/g ! The abandoned home/trailer from "The Savage" is now gone, I checked my log, but where the Testorossa pulls in and that small parking area is unchanged since 1986. Posted: 11 April 2007 at 4:31pm by airtommy OK, I didn't know that Flagler was deserted, I had thought it was an area with hookers etc. Posted: 11 April 2007 at 1:01pm by MATT5Originally posted by airtommy4.Car Chase - starts SW 7th St & South End of S. Miami Ave Bridge ends alleys between Collins and Washington I found it really odd that they filmed a street nightlife scene on Miami Avenue south of the river. I was under the impression this area is basically deserted at night. They never fabricated a street scene in such an unrealistic location in Seasons 1/2, did they? 7. Big Fish Car Park ( still vacant lot today ) opposite Associated Photo - Crockett and Tubbs arrest Castillo's colleague at scene Looking at satellite pics, there's a chance that this old abandoned house might still be there today! It is pretty deserted at the South end of Miami Avenue Bridge at nite - this street scene was pretty fabricated I agree ( like "Streetwise" outside The Sasson on Collins or "Baseballs of Death" teaser - both pretty fabricated imo) . However I thought the "Florence Italy" teaser in Downtown Miami was pretty fabricated too and that was from Season 2. Those streets were pretty deserted at nite in 1985 and still are Today.With ref The Big Fish Vacant Lot and Associated Photo this is pretty much unchanged since 1987 - I visited the Vacant lot last Year but could not recall the abandoned trailer/house being thereheight=17 alt=Confused src="http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>I had the exact same thought as well with ref to "Veterans Centre" Finally via Microsoft Live I was looking at the Opening Shot Credits from Season 3-5 and the Downtown Shot when PMTs credit comes up of the Wachovia and Bank Of America building must have been taken from the Washington Mutual Building on SW8th St- its a part aerial of the Miami Avenue Bridge and Downtown with Associated Photo/ Big Fish in the foregroundPosted: 11 April 2007 at 7:01am by airtommyLooking at the entrance to the "Veterans Administration Rehabilitation Center", it sure looks like the pool entrance of Jose Marti Park. But the surroundings behind C&T look wrong. I don't see the expressway anywhere. Posted: 11 April 2007 at 6:48am by airtommyClick here for some great pics of the Kenmore, including the stairway in the lobby. Click here for a few pics of the Park Central. 4.Car Chase - starts SW 7th St & South End of S. Miami Ave Bridge ends alleys between Collins and Washington I found it really odd that they filmed a street nightlife scene on Miami Avenue south of the river. I was under the impression this area is basically deserted at night. They never fabricated a street scene in such an unrealistic location in Seasons 1/2, did they? 7. Big Fish Car Park ( still vacant lot today ) opposite Associated Photo - Crockett and Tubbs arrest Castillo's colleague at scene Looking at satellite pics, there's a chance that this old abandoned house might still be there today! 5. End Beach Scene - over from Ocean Dr by Park Central Hotel/Imperial Hotel Trivial note: When C&T first enter the screen, behind them is a tall pink tower. That is the Blackstone on 8th Street. I remembered it from when I closely studied a scene in "One Way Ticket". ONE WAY TICKET POST FOLLOWS: N9. Sagot taunts Switek & Trudy This entire scene takes place on northbound Washington Avenue in South Beach. NOTE: The yellow arrow is where Crockett & Tubbs turn during the "Brothers in Arms" driving scene near the end of "Out Where The Buses Don't Run" %7Boption%7Dhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f104/airtommy/MV%20satellite/OneWayTicketdrive.jpg#1 = Angler's Hotel - 634 Washington Ave - renovation news - official website #2 = unknown #3 - Blackstone Apartments - 800 Washington Ave. 31:52 - Sagot is driving on Washington Ave. On his left, one can glimpse the Angler's Hotel. 32:00 - They pull up to the intersection of 7th Ave. Building #2 is visible just to the left of the center of Switek's windshield. 32:25-32:29 - Sagot drives by building #2 32:35 - They again pull up to the 7th Ave intersection. 32:47 - After Sagot shifts into reverse and goes back to taunt them, the Blackstone Apartment building is now visible. It appears they are sitting directly in the middle of an intersection! I am a little confused about what intersection this is. It looks like they are about half a block south of 8th Ave. Posted: 11 April 2007 at 12:37am by MATT5Episode 15 : Locations in this episode include : 1. South Pointe Park , Miami Beach (exterior bandshell, Castillo checking security @ entrance to South Pointe Park ) 2. Kenmore Hotel ( 1050 Washington Ave - Today it is the Best Western Hotel @ 1050 ) - the interior lobby scenes when they find the dead woman behind the desk 3.Park Central Hotel, Ocean Drive ( Internal Hotel Bar) 4.Car Chase - starts SW7th St & South End of S.Miami Ave Bridge ends alleys between Collins and Washington 5. End Beach Scene - over from Ocean Dr by Park Central Hotel/Imperial Hotel 6. Unknown - Car burning scene Collins Ave? 7. Big Fish Car Park ( still vacant lot today ) opposite Associated Photo - Crockett and Tubbs arrest Castillo's colleague at scene

4.Car Chase - starts SW7th St & South End of S.Miami Ave Bridge ends alleys between Collins and Washington

ends at 10th and collins, to be exact ;) between collins and ocean

• 4 weeks later...

That is an excellent find - I always knew it was around Collins but difficult to pinpoint where. So pre the crash the alley chase scenes were filmed on Ocean Court leading to 10th .

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Watched The Savage last night - and great locations - here are a few from my trips to Miami / Beach .End Chase scene - exploding car as they come off Ocean Crt ( from Ocean Court behind The Edison / Breakwater )  :D

Eingefügtes Bild

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

Interior of  V.A. Rehab. Center. This was filmed at the Orlando Urra, Allapattah Community Center. 2257 NW North River Drive, Miami.

Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

(responding to Nofretz's post from 2009)  Good find Nofretz!  That must be a cool feeling when you can recognize something in the show from having been there.

============================================================

I just finished studying "The Savage", in particular the chase scene.  At 27:57-27:58 the assassin looks over at Crockett:

wp0_wpca5518f6.png

There are no perfect matches anywhere on Ocean Drive.  One decent match is the exact same spot where Crockett looks over at the assassin: 7th Street between Ocean Drive and Ocean Court. From right to left you see a door, window, window, and then the patio.

Picture_3.png

Google Street View link

There are two trees visible behind Crockett in this clip and at historicaerials.com you can see that there are some trees at that intersection.

The main problem is that the patio corner looks different, but there just isn't anything on Ocean Drive that is a perfect match for this clip.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

This was a really tough one:  From 28:25-28:29, they are headed southbound on Ocean Court, crossing 8th Street:

wp0_wp13d25f4a.png

Both of these buildings have been torn down or remodeled to the point of being unrecognizable.  If you study this old satellite photo carefully, you can see the building on the SW corner of this intersection is the building on their right as they drive through.  The part that is jutting out is narrow, has two rectangular windows, and a doorway in the center.

Picture_4.png

After they cross 8th Street and continue in the alley, there are quite a few things you can match up if you go frame by frame.  This building on the near right is the best example:

Picture_7.png

You can see it here today:

Picture_5.png

Edited by airtommy

From 28:13-28:15, Crockett is following the assassin closely down the alley.

Picture_8.png

They are headed southbound on the 700 block of Ocean Court (just before it hits 7th Street):

Google Street View link

Picture_9.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

In 2014 I visited this location from "The Savage / "Duty and Honor" Directed by Seasons 1 and 2 producer - John Nicollela

f103fb5a-7357-43e8-a6df-d7701f73011c_zps

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Tremendous contributions from airtommy and matt5!

I still wish to locate Espinoza's house but it seems unlikely :(

Thankyou Bilders!! :done:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

A fine episode from the end of 1986. Directed by John Nicollela.

I was surprised to read the main guest star , Dr. Haine Ngor (Castillo’s buddy from the Far East) was an Oscar winner in 1985, a year and a half before this episode, but murdered by a mugging in Los Angeles in 1992. Here are some Blu-ray shots of some locations from the episode.

97BC15DF-59E6-44F3-A380-333FB9E02EF9.jpeg

D5D4B5B9-ED10-4E07-BC99-C04D7E2F5389.jpeg

A4CB7650-F85B-4017-8BBF-182B58F653A6.jpeg

Edited by Matt5