Episode 18 - Made For Each Other

miamijimf

o.k. I just published this episode on my location site. Let me know what you think. The driving scene with Mr. Costelana on the phone I have not researched enough yet but plan to this weekend to see if I can suss out the filming location(s). Looks like it may be along the river. Let me know please if you have already sussed this out. Thanks.JBhttp://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

C Glide,great as always!The warehouse scenes were shot at 65NW 9 Street, the same place where Switek&Zito lean on Bonzo Barry. At least that address was on the production notes we saw when Michael Talbott donated them.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?5698-Auction-MV-Call-Sheet-(Michael-Talbott)&highlight=michael+talbott+madeP.S. any specific reason why you left out Golden Triangle 1+2 on your site at this point? These two eps have great locations.

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?5698-Auction-MV-Call-Sheet-(Michael-Talbott)&highlight=michael+talbott+madeGreat I will update this right away.P.S. any specific reason why you left out Golden Triangle 1+2 on your site at this point? These two eps have great locations.

Yes I had two copies of the season 1 DVD set, 1 for home and 1 for location hunting. Both were having trouble playing these two episodes and I did not want to miss 1 second. I ordered another copy and it has arrived so I will be adding those two episodes shortly. Not sure if I will complete the season and go back or do them right away but either way they will be posted in the near future.:)

• 1 year later...
I just took another look at this episode for unknown locations. I was able to place one unknown location and found two additional interesting items.First: In the unknown driving scene where Barry calls Mr. C and they are talking about the cement truck. The limo shots consist of 5 cuts. The first three appear to be in the downtown area but I have not yet placed them. The last two cuts I just placed. They are driving eastbound on NW 3rd Street in the 100 block.Eingefügtes Bild2) The pet shop exterior was very dark so I took a screen capture and increased the adaptive lighting significantly. To my surprise there is now clearly visible a street number: 221. Anyone want to attack that puzzle it is now a findable location.Eingefügtes Bild3) I also increased the adaptive lighting on a capture of Larry's home. Out of the shadows in the background came a modern looking building that may some day help identify the location.Eingefügtes Bild

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I working on updating my site with the information airtommy sussed out on the driving scene of this episode. So I put in the DVD and noticed something that this time struck me as possibly an important clue. I see that a firefighter is wearing his helmet and it has the indicator on it S-2. Could this be because he is from Miami Dade  fire station #2? Could they be using the fire fighters and equipment from the closest station? I think that is fairly likely. If so then Larry's house was in the neighborhood of Station 2 which is located at : 1901 North Miami Avenue. It looks like it was there when this was filmed as well. Time to do a grid search around this station.

• Like 1

VERY interesting detail!

It was my belief that Zito's house was in Overtown because of the look of the neighborhood and because they filmed the limo driving scene near there.  I'd say this fire station clue cinches it.  

Very likely. I have found a couple of houses that match. I think our best chance is to match up the building seen (barely) behind Larry's as it looks bigger, better more modern so more likely still there. The window pattern along the top is fairly distinct.

I have tried a few things but now I have switched to flying over the area on historic aerials. My thought is that if it were burned down w/I a year of the sat. pic. then it should show a burnt lot, plowed lot, or new construction. Not an absolute but I think it might be a quicker way.

Found a few possibilities but there has been so much tear down and rebuild it is impossible to confirm or rule out any of them.

6 minutes ago, airtommy said:

to the left of Zito's house:

Made1.png

across the street:

Made2.png

You maybe right about that but I am very confused by this scene. The way it is cut is misleading and I feel I am missing something. The house that we see behind Stan might be on the same side of the street.

As they pull up to the scene there is nothing, housewise next to the fire between the car and Larry's. Then shortly there after we see a house next to the fire. Was Larry's house on the corner of two streets? Another thing, the building we are looking for that we see behind Larry's. As they pull up to the scene it looks like it may be on the side, rear of the building. It is hard to get a grip on things because of the different camera positions. There are enough gates, driveways, trees (I am even 99% sure the tree in Larry's yard was a Ailanthus altissima), street lights to help draw a map/sketch to help find the place but I am having trouble making things fit together so there was something tricky about the filming.

• Like 2

Camera zoom can be deceiving but based on the street lights seen behind the fire I would strongly suspect that Larry's house was on an Avenue or court and not on a street.

• Like 1

Looking at google street view there is a new condo at NW1st Ave/NW10th Street replacing Mr Gold's .. this is on the tracks that divides into Overtown :D

• 6 months later...

This picture , from a Miami Police department tweet on Twitter yesterday was interesting, as it shows a behind the scenes picture from that episode outside Snr Frogs/ Jerry's with a view of the restaurant opposite we don't see in Miami Vice . 

Dadrian and I saw it on twitter and commented on it there :D:fireworks::)

IMG_8111.JPG

• Like 4

On 10/23/2016 at 5:11 AM, Dadrian said:

Then^

Now:

IMG_0702.JPG

Had a splash of light/mint  green - looks nice !

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

On October 23, 2016 at 0:11 AM, Dadrian said:

Then^

Now:

IMG_0702.JPG

Matt5's picture (Mercado Latino) is not this building, it is the one across the street.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Matt5's picture (Mercado Latino) is not this building, it is the one across the street.

Yes that's why I posted it - we rarely get a glimpse of the building/restaurant across the street from Jerry's Deli/Senor Frogs. In fact I can't recall it being seen fully in an episode.:D It was a restaurant also in late 1984 I believe?!

• Like 1