Episode 18 - Made For Each Other

miamijimf

On 10/23/2016 at 0:12 AM, Dadrian said:

(Zito is running into building in the "now" pic above)

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

Matt5's picture (Mercado Latino) is not this building, it is the one across the street.

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Yes that's why I posted it - we rarely get a glimpse of the building/restaurant across the street from Jerry's Deli/Senor Frogs. In fact I can't recall it being seen fully in an episode.:D It was a restaurant also in late 1984 I believe?!

I bet we still get "corrected" by someone... :) 

My post was a little misleading, though, that's why I followed it up. 

Edited by Dadrian

• 10 months later...

In the teaser we see this nice shot from the Warsaw ballroom looking south down Collins - we see the former Carlton Hotel at 1433 Collins from the sidewalk of Espanola Way :hippie:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.7869868,-80.1307045,3a,75y,136.15h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scFZIqTCPzwmGW9mDtoT6Lw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by Matt5

• 1 year later...

Just chanced upon this the other evening whilst in Coral Gables, stopped on the S Dixie Hwy in South Miami.

At 6448 S. Dixie Hwy is Bonzo Barry’s featured in a number of scenes and perhaps the Noogie wedding scene too although not confirmed. The building is empty gone out of business currently.

E3D36D77-FC0B-42EB-8DC5-927FAF98C567.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2010 at 5:40 AM, Tom said:

C Glide,great as always!The warehouse scenes were shot at 65NW 9 Street, the same place where Switek&Zito lean on Bonzo Barry. At least that address was on the production notes we saw when Michael Talbott donated them.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?5698-Auction-MV-Call-Sheet-(Michael-Talbott)&highlight=michael+talbott+madeP.S. any specific reason why you left out Golden Triangle 1+2 on your site at this point? These two eps have great locations.

Anybody have this call sheet saved?

• 1 year later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND? THE DRIVE-IN MOVIE THEATER

I just found out that there are still a few unknown locations in this ep: the bar/disco with the wedding (used throughout the episode), the drive-in theater, Izzy´s break in site at 221 (unknown address) and of course Zito´s house location.

I started with the drive-in where Izzy and Noggie try to sell the truck to Mr. C.

A quick check with our magic movie theater website http://cinematreasures.org/ revealed that there were only three drive-in theaters in whole Dade County that were still open in early 1985 or later. (all had around 800 car capacity). All others had closed in the 70s due to less audiences or costly property costs.

Logistics wise I would assume it was the Tropicaire, as it is relatively close to the South Dixie locations (Bonzo Barry´s). 

But, there is an important clue: the dense vegetation behind the screen. This is only the case at the North Dade Drive-in! The others do not have any trees or dense bushes around the screen as seen on the 1986 historic aerials when all three sites closed its operation and only one year max after the episode was filmed.

Thus, 90% it was the North Dade Drive-in. This was not so bad  logistics-wise as well, as it is in Miami Gardens, but not very far away from the studio (close to later FBI location in Love at first sight) and drive-in theaters always were far off due to their room needs.

Today, there is a shopping mall.

The other locations have hardly any clues. The disco/bar has no clear indications or signs in the background and the neon signs at the wedding are custom made for MV.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.14.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.09.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.11.09.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.13.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.28.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.28.28.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Looks good to me.  My small contribution:  I remember the Tropicaire on Bird Road Rd. very well.  Lots of memories there.  Used to sneak in friends hiding in my trunk and that is not the Tropicaire (photo below)

66446532_10157878858035400_6309184534076194816_n.jpg.9080c610b1e029652294a906a273c4b0.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom said:

the drive-in where Izzy and Noggie try to sell the truck to Mr. C.

A quick check with our magic movie theater website http://cinematreasures.org/ revealed that there were only three drive-in theaters in whole Dade County that were still open in early 1985 or later. (all had around 800 car capacity). All others had closed in the 70s due to less audiences or costly property costs.

Logistics wise I would assume it was the Tropicaire, as it is relatively close to the South Dixie locations (Bonzo Barry´s). 

But, there is an important clue: the dense vegetation behind the screen. This is only the case at the North Dade Drive-in! The others do not have any trees or dense bushes around the screen as seen on the 1986 historic aerials when all three sites closed its operation and only one year max after the episode was filmed.

Thus, 90% it was the North Dade Drive-in. This was not so bad  logistics-wise as well, as it is in Miami Gardens, but not very far away from the studio (close to later FBI location in Love at first sight) and drive-in theaters always were far off due to their room needs.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.09.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.11.09.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-01 um 22.13.47.png

Here is what I see:

• I don't agree that the vegetation is necessarily dense based on what we see.  It might be, but it might not be.  I agree that your 1st pic (Tropicaire) is out, but the 2nd and 3rd are possible.
  • The vegetation is growing slightly in front of the screen.  Would a theater allow this while in operation?  I think it's possible that this theater was no longer in operation in 1984.   The Coral Way Drive-In at 2400 SW 70th Avenue existed in 1980 but is gone in 1986.  It might have existed when they filmed in 1985.

Am 2.9.2020 um 04:37 schrieb airtommy:

Here is what I see:

• I don't agree that the vegetation is necessarily dense based on what we see.  It might be, but it might not be.  I agree that your 1st pic (Tropicaire) is out, but the 2nd and 3rd are possible.
  • The vegetation is growing slightly in front of the screen.  Would a theater allow this while in operation?  I think it's possible that this theater was no longer in operation in 1984.   The Coral Way Drive-In at 2400 SW 70th Avenue existed in 1980 but is gone in 1986.  It might have existed when they filmed in 1985.

That´s an interesting theory obviously based on the branch of the tree behind the truck being very close near or even in front of the screen. Logistics wise also quite close to Bonzo Barrys.

Going by the 1980 aerial it´s possible with its vegetation around the screen but it looks abandoned on that aerial already.

Further check reveals that the Coral drive in closed in 1977 (last movie Smokey&the Bandit part 1) already. what we see on TV is no drive-in that has been 8 years out of operation at the time of filming -  the vegetation would have been much higher and even growing between the concrete. This looks like drive-in at the end of operation or just closed with the screen being very clean and neat still.

the second drive-in also does not fit in my opinion as the vegetation left of the screen does not match only 9 months between filming and aerial.

I favor still the North Dade one, because there is additional evidence for it: the high antenna left of the screen (TV or radio, no simple street lantern).

It is quite high and belongs to the Miami Lakes Park Community building. Hard to say how far and how high as the camera is positioned on the ground, but at least 100m high and a few hundreds yards distance I would say.

And there is a matching antenna in distance and height only with the North Dade drive-in! 

The others do not have any antenna around (of course the antenna could have been removed since then, but the neighboorhood does not look right for any antenna of that kind on the other locations).

Another knock-out for all others except the North Dade drive in is the sun! This was filmed at sunset and the sun is shining onto the screen at a low angle in late winter. This is only possible when the screen is heading south/west, which is exactly the case with the North Dade drive-in. All others have screens facing north, north west or north east. That is physically impossible! 

See my additional evidence below.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-02 um 09.57.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-02 um 10.51.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-02 um 10.47.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-02 um 11.20.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-02 um 11.26.22.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION: LARRY´s HOUSE 

I just though I had it in Miami Beach, but...

This gotta be the closest look alike house I ´ve ever seen! Behind Larry´s burned-down house we see a modern building. I thought I found this building, as it looks very much the same as the building in the first driving segment behind Stan and Larry at 6620 Indian Creek Drive with the lamp in front of it.

BUT: on the historic aerials of 1980 and 1986 we see that neither vis a vis nor next to that building at 6620 Indian Creek Drive there were any changes and anything else than a building and a parking lot respectively. West of that long gone building was Biscayne Bay. Thus, no way that Larry´s house was there and neither the small neighbor house, the trees and the grass we around Larry´s house!

Also, the "S2" on the helmet of the fireman is confirmed (see pic) and points to station 2. Station 2 of Miami Beach fire rescue is at 2300 PineTree Drive and for 6620 Indian Creek Drive fire station 3 at 5303 Colins Ave would be in charge, not station 2.

So, let´s forget that Miami Beach idea for that location with the 6620 clone building and get back to the original idea that station 2 means City of Miami (S2=1901 N. Miami Ave fire station, which is in charge for whole Overtown and Wynwood area of the City of Miami. I think the clue is the modern building.

I have not found it yet, but I can definitely confirm that the small house we see behind Switek and the one we see left of Larry´s house are the same.

This is important as CGlide earlier suspected the building was vis a vis and we did not fully understand the editing and the angles of these scenes. If we look closely we can see that the spectators in front of the neighbor house behind Stan are looking to their left as they are watching the fire site. Which underlines the clear visual match between the houses in the two angles - it´s the same house. The reason for this "false angle" of the Stan close-up and the Stan/Larry/fireman shot is easy to explain: the Stan close up shot was filmed at a different time and Stan was simply misplaced as the direction he is looking does not fit to the cut earlier where he was standing looking at Larry and the burn site (last pic below). that is also the reason why there are spectators behind him, but none in the short shot where Larry approaches the house, but the fence right of the neighbor house is the same, which is the third conclusive evidence that the house is the same in both shots.

Now, we have a confirmed view on the scene: we only see Larry´s house side in these scenes with the neighborhouse left of it, the background (modern building) and on the right side of Larry´s house (last pic) there was a hedge, another house and most likely a street behind it, as there is a high street lamp visible. 

I will continue hunting in Overtown and Wynwood with historic aerials (the Costelada drive segment was 100 NW 3rd Street, so we have quite an area to search.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 13.05.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 14.34.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 13.04.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 13.04.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 13.24.47.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

UNKNOWN LOCATION: LARRY´s HOUSE 

I just though I had it in Miami Beach, but...

This gotta be the closest look alike house I ´ve ever seen! Behind Larry´s burned-down house we see a modern building. I thought I found this building, as it looks very much the same as the building in the first driving segment behind Stan and Larry at 6620 Indian Creek Drive with the lamp in front of it.

BUT: on the historic aerials of 1980 and 1986 we see that neither vis a vis nor next to that building at 6620 Indian Creek Drive there were any changes and anything else than a building and a parking lot respectively. West of that long gone building was Biscayne Bay. Thus, no way that Larry´s house was there and neither the small neighbor house, the trees and the grass we around Larry´s house!

Also, the "S2" on the helmet of the fireman is confirmed (see pic) and points to station 2. Station 2 of Miami Beach fire rescue is at 2300 PineTree Drive and for 6620 Indian Creek Drive fire station 3 at 5303 Colins Ave would be in charge, not station 2.

So, let´s forget that Miami Beach idea for that location with the 6620 clone building and get back to the original idea that station 2 means City of Miami (S2=1901 N. Miami Ave fire station, which is in charge for whole Overtown and Wynwood area of the City of Miami. I think the clue is the modern building.

I have not found it yet, but I can definitely confirm that the small house we see behind Switek and the one we see left of Larry´s house are the same.

This is important as CGlide earlier suspected the building was vis a vis and we did not fully understand the editing and the angles of these scenes. If we look closely we can see that the spectators in front of the neighbor house behind Stan are looking to their left as they are watching the fire site. Which underlines the clear visual match between the houses in the two angles - it´s the same house. The reason for this "false angle" of the Stan close-up and the Stan/Larry/fireman shot is easy to explain: the Stan close up shot was filmed at a different time and Stan was simply misplaced as the direction he is looking does not fit to the cut earlier where he was standing looking at Larry and the burn site (last pic below). that is also the reason why there are spectators behind him, but none in the short shot where Larry approaches the house, but the fence right of the neighbor house is the same, which is the third conclusive evidence that the house is the same in both shots.

Now, we have a confirmed view on the scene: we only see Larry´s house side in these scenes with the neighborhouse left of it, the background (modern building) and on the right side of Larry´s house (last pic) there was a hedge, another house and most likely a street behind it, as there is a high street lamp visible. 

I will continue hunting in Overtown and Wynwood with historic aerials (the Costelada drive segment was 100 NW 3rd Street, so we have quite an area to search.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 13.05.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 14.34.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 13.04.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 13.04.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 13.24.47.png

Great clear images and colors Tom from the new Koch blu ray set?

vor 1 Minute schrieb Matt5:

Great clear images and colors Tom from the new Koch blu ray set?

No screenshots from Amazon prime digitally enhanced on my Mac.

No luck with the modern building in the background.

So I went over to focusing on the neighbor house (if it´s still there) as it has a distinctive double roof which is shifted.

I found a very close, nearly identical match for the neighbor house in Wynwood (62 NW 26 Street) within the Station 2 fire rescue territory with an empty lot nearby, but unfortunately the lot was not empty in 1980 and 1986. But this gives confidence that we can find it by either searching for the house or the modern building in the background (maybe a parking garage), but modern buildings are rare in Overtown.

The good news is that (if that neighbor house was there in 1985I this double shifted roof is quite significant and should be easy to spot from above. Much easier at least as the modern building where we do not know how it looked from above. 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 20.59.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 21.01.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 21.02.02.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

After some  serious digging, I am 90% sure that I´ve found the location where Zito´s house once stood. @C Glide

This is one of the most difficult and mysterious locations, as it is long gone. The decisive clue came from Jimmy Green, the dolly grip in first two seasons, who told my daughter a few days ago that this location was on the "south side of the river across the street from a 7 to 11 on the corner". He sounded very sure about that and even remembered that someone got shot on the 7-11 parking lot that same night.

Thus, I dumped our fire station no.2/Overtown/Wynwood idea and looked around the area of the Milk Run drug lab just south of Miami River, because the area of Zito´s house looked similar with lot of green grass and soon-to-be razed buildings around. One problem was to find the modern looking building in the background and to deal with the massive reconstruction in this area. And after long comparisons between the 1980s and 1986 historic aerials I found one spot that fits and matches with lots of details that we see:

• the modern building in the background (looks like a garage but was replaced a few years after, I was able to compare with the tilted N-side of the building on the satellite that was there in 1986) is approx. 400 meters away. It also has to accommodate the Miami River in between but we all know how deceiving the zoom lenses they used can be sometimes. In the first picture when Switek drives up to the scene we get a better feeling for the big distance of the background building which seems to be far off compared to the close up with Zito.
  • there is a parallel street in front of the building as we can see the car lights above ground level (this could be the descending exit ramp of Florida State Road 970 which could explain the visible car lights standing still) - this match is admittedly a bit shaky as the State Road elevation back then is unsure in order not to block the view to the building. But what we see is elevated traffic..
  • there was a fitting grass area and a tree partly hanging over onto the street with a fitting paved intersection and the trunk of a car (matches with the parking lot next door), where a cop stood in the episode
  • the small neighbor house on the correct spot to the left (hard to see on the blurry 80 aerial but with imagination we can see the shifted roof), the hedge to the right, with a light behind as there seems to be a parking lot
  • the  7-11 with parking lot (or at least it looks like a supermarket) on the corner across the street is there
  • The remains of Zito‘s burning house closest to the street look like a sharply squared concrete or brick and mortar structure. This is interestingly exactly what we see on the 80 historic aerial at the spot where we expect it
  • there is a diagonal street or at least the foundation for it just behind the neighbor house as the lights indicate. In early 85 when this was filmed the area was not fully razed for the diagonal extension of South Miami Ave where Crockett did his chicken car race in Down for the count Part2 in October 86. On the 1980 aerial this street is not there at all, in early 85 they probably just started to pave the street there and raze all buildings on the block.

Bottom line: I think Zito´s house was located at 37 SW 7 Street (as opposed to 31 SE 7 Street where the drug lab in Milk Run was).

Here is my photo documentation. As with all abandoned locations without street view this one will never become 100% sure but it is a 90%+ circumstantial case with plenty more matches than coincidence permits.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-25 um 00.43.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-25 um 00.45.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-25 um 23.17.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-26 um 00.51.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-25 um 23.56.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-25 um 23.57.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-26 um 00.21.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-31 um 01.53.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-31 um 02.06.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-31 um 02.18.07.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

IZZY´S PET SHOP BREAK-IN AT "221" FOUND?  

This is another series of coincidences that probably nail this second last unknown location in this episode.

1. a correct number "221" (visible on the wall). This was a building at 221 14 Street then, now there is a completely new building - a Walgreen´s - there with a 1400 Collins Ave address. 
  2. there is a fitting building with an entrance from 14 street 
  3. a tree like we see in the episode (a second tree in the back of the house is not there but this aerial is from summer 86, thus 1.5 years after this episode was filmed)
  4. a wall like we see in front of Izzy
  5. this location is only 1 block away from Warsaw ballroom that was used in the teaser
  6. on the aerial this building was a business with a small parking lot and Izzy would have sneaked in through the back door (it seemed to be a real shop in the episode, although I doubt that it was a pet shop)

(P.S. Club Deuce is vis a vis as a reference with address 222 14 Street and the neighbor house across Collins Ct vis a vis from Club Deuce is 229 14 Street)

Again, a 90%+ match. 

P.S. I succeeded to pinpoint the month of the 86 historic aerial to summer (around June/July) as we can see the progress of the Bayside construction (no building yet) and compare it with what we see at the end of Better living through chemistry (concrete hull nearing completion) which was filmed in mid September 86.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 16.14.25.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-26 um 01.49.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-12 um 00.55.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-12 um 00.44.21.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

I am absolutely convinced that we have found now all locations of this ep, except one (the bar used throughout the episode).

It is impossible to find without hints from crew members present, as there is neither any indication inside on walls nor the entrance or its background visible (Switek and Zito are filmed going through the entrance hallway, but no background and no other hints visible).

Going by the appearance, this bar was a very run down classic bar with simple seating, equipment, dark colors and brown brick columns throughout. Not really vicey, but a bit brushed up with neon that the art department installed there for filming. My best guess is it was most likely somewhere on the southern part of town (maybe around US1 like Captain Video, the Bonzo Barry location?) or in North Miami near a major street, it does not look like Miami Beach or Downtown or a hidden gem in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Tom

• 3 weeks later...

BTS pic from the North Dade drive-in location with Charlie Barnett. This picture was taken were the red arrow points to, just next to the drive -in cashier building. We can see the cashier building and the high trees in the background on the 1986 sat pic.

The cashier was apparently closed (wooden planks attached on windows), this is proof that this drive in was out of operation in early 1985.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-01 um 13.50.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-01 um 13.51.19.png

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 7:32 PM, airtommy said:

Anybody have this call sheet saved?

I took a look and I do not seem to have it which surprises me as I remember seeing it when it was posted.

Thanks, I turned on the computer today that I use for my web sites so I should be back up and running on updates soon. Has not been on in over three months since just before the move. Life is slowly getting under control and back towards normal so I am hoping to do more Miami Vice and Burn Notice.

• Like 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb C Glide:

I took a look and I do not seem to have it which surprises me as I remember seeing it when it was posted.

It was posted, as I clearly remember to having read the address on that sheet. But the sheet is gone, I assume it was posted on the old Forum and got lost during the migration to this forum here.

I saved a lot of the old .org stuff dealing with locations and trivia.  Haven't found the call sheet but under Posts26May-26Nov/Episode 18- Made for Each Other I found this post by airtommy:

"Posted: 05 November 2007 at 9:12pm
MiamiVice.info is having an auction for the call sheet from Made For Each Other. I haven't looked at it yet. I'm going to watch the ep tonight to see if there are any more locations to hunt before I peek."
Edited by miamijimf