Episode #78 "Love At First Sight"

Ferrariman

Regarding the "The right woman for Sonny" debate, I'm probably alone in not wanting any "soap opera" intrigue on this show.  I never think of Vice as a serial with continuing threads throughout the run (there are some of course: Calderone, Hackman, etc.) - I like that for the most part it's a lot of one-off episodes in which the regular characters' private lives are kept off-screen.  Then again, I liked the short-lived Sara character from Yankee Dollar as a love interest for Sonny, so what do I know? ;)

Hitchcock's "Psycho" has been cited here; and also how this episodes presages "Sea of Love."  I was wondering if "Crimes of Passion" was on the writer's mind - there actually is a vibrator that doubles as a knife in that movie!

Too bad Sonny was married.  Athletic Tracy was attractive and seemed like she'd be a cool person to date!

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Regarding the "The right woman for Sonny" debate, I'm probably alone in not wanting any "soap opera" intrigue on this show.  I never think of Vice as a serial with continuing threads throughout the run (there are some of course: Calderone, Hackman, etc.) - I like that for the most part it's a lot of one-off episodes in which the regular characters' private lives are kept off-screen.  Then again, I liked the short-lived Sara character from Yankee Dollar as a love interest for Sonny, so what do I know? ;)

Hitchcock's "Psycho" has been cited here; and also how this episodes presages "Sea of Love."  I was wondering if "Crimes of Passion" was on the writer's mind - there actually is a vibrator that doubles as a knife in that movie!

Too bad Sonny was married.  Athletic Tracy was attractive and seemed like she'd be a cool person to date!

You’re not alone in not really wanting a lot of soap-opera drama in a show like MV...that’s one reason the Caitlin-saga & the Burnett-saga didn’t work, nor go over well! ;) A little personal stuff once in a while is ok, but the majority of the “soap” needed to be left to Dallas & Knots Landing (which were also good shows for their genre). :baby: 

However, I don’t view the Calderone storyline, nor Hackman’s as soap...they were more realistic and deep. They were more captivating, and worked for the show. :clap: But, as for the supposed ‘right woman’ for Crockett, I’ll always like Gina the best. But, I think like Theresa 2nd, Lol! :) 

This episode is definitely MV’s version of and/or ode to Hitchcock’s Psycho, however, any other movies I’m not sure about? But, cool twist of having the ‘supposed’ controlling/violent male-figure jealous of the female-figure, instead the other way around for Psycho:thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

But, as for the supposed ‘right woman’ for Crockett, I’ll always like Gina the best. But, I think like Theresa 2nd, Lol! :) 

I would have been happy with Sonny and Gina together, although early on I was kind of hoping Sonny would eventually get back with Caroline - clearly the "Child's Play" episode put an end to that idea!  Helena Bonham Carter as Theresa didn't quite work for me, although I like most of HBC's later roles. (A terrifying thought: Sonny hooked up with HBC's Marla character from Fight Club!)  What do you think of Annette Bening as Theresa instead? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I would have been happy with Sonny and Gina together, although early on I was kind of hoping Sonny would eventually get back with Caroline - clearly the "Child's Play" episode put an end to that idea!  Helena Bonham Carter as Theresa didn't quite work for me, although I like most of HBC's later roles. (A terrifying thought: Sonny hooked up with HBC's Marla character from Fight Club!)  What do you think of Annette Bening as Theresa instead? 

I would have been happy if he’d of gotten back with Caroline, as well...but early on they pretty much let us know that wasn’t going to happen. 

As for Helena Bonham Carter, she’s “cemented” in my mind as Theresa, so I can’t picture anyone else playing that character, lol! But, Annette Bening might have worked if she’d of initiated the role! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

A very good S4 episode. Strong 9.5/10 for me.

Why ? It keeps you enterained, new plot, we have some funny moments (Crockett panicking at the sex toy, lol),Crockett really takes "the detective" role again, the penultimum scene on the St vitus dance is very nice, and the ending is sattisfying, not to mention the music is decent (Madness of it all)- and we get to see that jewel Testarossa again.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2016 at 11:45 AM, Tony_MontanaCDL said:

Interesting plot here with the serial killer storyline, but any episode that has Sheena Easton in it, is immediately brought down 2 notches due to her atrocious acting. 

4 out of 10, and that's being generous. 

Not to mention  she's nothing in the looks department either. And soooooooo irritating with her constant whining about his job! Wtf do wives and girlfriends expect when they marry someone like him? That he'll be home cutting the privet hedge etc every evening? Loved his video resumé though (I'd have contacted him on the strength of that!) and some suspense so I'd give it a 7.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:00 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I have to disagree with some of this...I’m not sure it was portrayed that Crockett decided to not stay with Gina. They supposedly just faded away (although the new writers were the real cause), but like it or not the spark & relationship never went away...again, whether it was intentional or not, it was always still there.

Crockett and Caitlin rushed into marriage with infatuation and a fairytale “idea” of what they thought they wanted. But, ultimately when reality hit home they discovered it was crumbling and not what they thought. By all means I think it was shown they still cared for each other and were trying to figure out a way to make it work... but their careers were never going to allow it. The marriage was crumbling & falling apart. It was done. I think if she’d of lived Crockett would’ve tried to stay with Caitlin  longer because of the baby. But somewhere down the line, ultimately they still would’ve divorced. It just was never going to work. 

Any marriage with Crockett as long as he had that job, was probably always going to be somewhat strained and have problems. But ultimately because she totally understood the job and did it herself, I still say Crockett and Gina would’ve been the best bet—in MV world. In reality, writers decided that one. 

I agree, I always  felt there was that connection between them that he never had with Trudy even when Gina appeared to cease being the "friend with benefits". Watch how he hugs Trudy.....there's a real detachment there. Hugged Evan with more feeling, I thought! But you do feel he's drawn to Gina, maybe partly because  she understands him better, even if he  doesn't intend making it permanent. Let's face it, Gina apart, Crockett has made some awful choices with the women he's become involved  with! If they aren't working against him, they're drug addicts or hookers or something and only Celeste had  any pretensions to looks. Which suits the narrative of course because neither male nor female fans wanted to see him tied down.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2019 at 8:31 PM, Bren10 said:

Locking him down in a relationship for too long limits his possibilities. That's one of the reasons Caitlyn had to go

Exactly right. Quite apart from her being one of the most irritating  women you'd ever meet. And them being the most massively unlikely couple on TV.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:54 AM, vicegirl85 said:

You said it in a nutshell.

I do think Sonny cared about the women he dated/loved/craved.  But in the end, he was about himself and his needs.  That can be seen in the way he interacts (or doesn't interact) with his son--his only child.  If he really wanted to be a father, he could have left undercover work at any point.  But undercover work gave him something that being a husband, father, or lover didn't give him.  He felt a lack in his life, but I think he also felt a lack in his own ability to out a relationship first.

Sonny was a good person, but he was missing something in his DNA, like you said. 

Perfectly expressed. That's exactly how I see him too.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 2:18 AM, mjcmmv said:

ViceFanMan, yes of course Sonny would have gotten another job, but how happy would he be day to day? Gina I think would have no problem leaving Miami or being in another department, but Sonny is a whole different deal. It wasn't just the literal work, but it was an entire lifestyle Sonny was living. There would be major withdrawal problems with that. Remember the long look at the St Vitus at the end of Freefall. That wasn't just sentiment.Plus, as a character, Sonny's entire identity as a person is tied to Miami, from college football onwards. It's like making Santa leave the North Pole. It just doesn't work. As far as law enforcement, he certainly wouldn't be a uniform cop and I don't see him as a regular NYPD blue-type detective in a trenchcoat. That type of environment would be suffocating to him and Sonny chafes under too much structure. He needs a certain amount of freedom to move, which he had on Vice. Those night drives and sailboat rides weren't just for show. That sort of thing is part of who he is and his spiritual communion with Miami itself, as well as the freedom he needs. Sonny being there for Billy basically amounts to every other weekend and holidays/special events visitation. He would probably be content with Castillo's role in the unit and occasionally mentoring the next generation as he did with Joey Hardin. At the end of the day Crockett needs purpose, but because he is self-centric it needs to be on his terms, as does any exit he takes from it. The Freefall ending appeared to be that, but upon further inspection it was a form of protest and spite, not actual closure. He hated certain aspects of the job and didn't know how or have the power to fix it, so he quit. He would not be a happy man.

Well said. These are my feelings about him too. That's why I felt pessimistic about his future at the end of Freefall.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2011 at 1:54 AM, MrsEvanFreed said:

Caitlin's whining was annoying at times, still a decent episode though.6/10

What's more, would have become worse as time went on and infatuation wore off..maybe Sonny had a lucky escape :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I LOVE this episode...I love most anything bizarre, suspenseful, eerie, scary, psychological, etc...in TV and movies. "Love At First Sight" delves into all of that superbly! It's wild and freeky, but yet captivating and mesmerizing...and I love it! My degrees are in sociology and psychology, so "Love At First Sight" fits right up that ally.

This is so awesomely suspenseful and bizarre in a captivating way! This episode is very "Hitchcockian" and pretty much MV’s version of Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 masterpiece Psycho. This episode is also very Freudian in nature--although I think Freud was pretty much just a "dirty" old man who was intelligent enough to make it seem logical. ;) I'm sure Freud or even Hitchcock (who actually personally knew Freud and loved his theories) would have a lot to say about the Vice team and their guns...but as Freud once said reguarding a cigar ("That sometimes a cigar is just a cigar )...sometimes a gun is just a gun! :p 

Also, Iman (who played the "psycho" Lois Blyth) did a superb job...she was bizarre even before we knew she was the killer, and she scared the crap out of me at the end for sure! :eek: I thought the acting performances were awesome...especially by Don and Iman! :clap: Don also did a fantastic job of directing. 

Again, there was so much of the classic movie Psycho in this, that I think Hitchcock would be proud! The plot twists were superb and I loved thinking throughout the episode that Lois' psycho (pun intended :p) brother was the killer...all because he was jealous and over protective of his sister. I love the ending scene where Rico is trying to tell Sonny that come to find out there was no brother...then out of nowhere "bam", the knife comes slicing down into Crockett's shoulder! :eek: That made me jump to the ceiling the first time I saw that...wild!!

I also liked the "problems" this case created for Crockett and Caitlin, and it was interesting how they approached &  attempted to work them out. I can't blame Caitlin for being upset and worried...this was not your standard hooker bust or crack-house stakeout. I can't imagine what a case like that would do to a marriage. :rain:  However, I found the fireplace in Crockett & Caitlin’s house, and C&C’s little fireside-chat unrealistic & somewhat silly...I’m sorry, but who the heck in Miami has a fireplace? Even in the winter, it don’t get that cold! :p Just watching that scene makes me start sweating, lol! :hot::) 

But, awesome plot, awesome acting, awesome suspense =awesome episode! :dance: Again, I still stand by my original rating...a 10 for me! This, "Death and the Lady", "God's Work", and "Child's Play" are my favorites of season 4. :clap:

77602223-88D7-46AD-A2AB-5E458E1F0362.jpeg

Lois

3FFCC380-9EAD-43B4-9C13-46B3D631A68B.jpeg

‘Danny’ :eek:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 7:22 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

Yes, this is a good thriller episode.  I like the track "Madness of It All" by the Ward Brothers - but Sonny flashing back to previous times with Caitlin is hokey and cliche.  And I guess Angie's only function is to be someone Caitlin can vent to.  

The return of Foxy Boxers!  Hurrah!  I always love that scene from "Glades."  Even the ref is a hottie! :D

I like a lot of the "erotic thriller" movies from this period (Sea of LoveBasic InstinctBody HeatSingle White Female. etc.), and "Love at First Sight is the closest MV got to one of these. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2021 at 7:11 AM, Jack Gretsky said:

Yes, this is a good thriller episode.  I like the track "Madness of It All" by the Ward Brothers - but Sonny flashing back to previous times with Caitlin is hokey and cliche.  And I guess Angie's only function is to be someone Caitlin can vent to.  

I love the 80s! If you had an argument with your spouse/partner all you had to do was storm out of the house, get in your car and drive aimlessly (preferably at night) :). I'm sure this episode writer must have watched Rocky 4.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2022 at 1:56 PM, sdiegolo78 said:

I'm sure this episode writer must have watched Rocky 4.

Given that Rocky 4 is my favorite movie, I know now why I love this scene from this episode so much, lol.

On 3/15/2021 at 1:12 PM, wolfie1996 said:

Not to mention  she's nothing in the looks department either. And soooooooo irritating with her constant whining about his job! Wtf do wives and girlfriends expect when they marry someone like him? That he'll be home cutting the privet hedge etc every evening? Loved his video resumé though (I'd have contacted him on the strength of that!) and some suspense so I'd give it a 7.

It's not that her acting is bad, she is OK but when she talks to Sonny there is no zero connection and chemistry, its like she is talking to herself. Her approach was so absent. 

Also when she speaks its so monotone that it's annoying. 

Patsy Kensit might have been a better idea because she is a singer and actress.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

i really see myself cleaning that thing. seriously where did he get that lol. oh i got it. it's a sailing thing. i prefer that :)

8VxQxfdmy6.thumb.jpg.fbaeefddfabfdb09c023d7a34d49bdf9.jpg

• Like 1