Episode 106 - The Lost Madonna

miamijimf

Posted: 24 May 2008 at 3:24pm by DanJMiamiJimF recently posted a Location Trivia question about this episode, and it got me interested in replicating a couple of scenes from it. We established that parts of this episode were filmed in the Colonnade hotel in Coral Gables, so I headed out there with camera in hand to see what I could see. As I wandered the halls looking for an "in" to a room with a view for the first scene I wanted to replicate, I saw this picture hanging in a hallway: Eingefügtes BildThe above is an aerial view of downtown Coral Gables, with an artist's rendering of the Colonnade superimposed on it. In the middle right hand area we can see the rotunda, which is where the art gallery and auction scenes were filmed. This building is original, the highrise Collonade was added much later. What is not visible here is the rooftop pool where Sal and Joey meet - that is the next picture:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildTo get exactly the right camera angle you'd have to be in the penthouse suite. I was extremely fortunate to find a room that was being cleaned by a maid and she kindly allowed me to take my picture from the window.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThe rotunda picture can be taken pretty much any time you want. At present the room serves as a walkway from the hotel to downtown Coral Gables and as such is generally open to the public at all hours.Okay so someone help me now as to where the outdoor party in this episode was filmed...Posted: 25 May 2008 at 5:44am by miamijimfInteresting. I didn't realize where in the Gables the Colonade was until I just looked at Virtual Earth. I remember the inside of the rotunda when it was a bank. It is really different now. I didn't recognize it from the episode. Here's an idea about the outdoor party in the episode which may or may not help. I vaguely remember visiting a gallery of some kind in the 80s near Viscaya that had outdoor sculptures, mobiles, modern art type stuff. Posted: 25 May 2008 at 7:20am by airtommyOriginally posted by miamijimfHere's an idea about the outdoor party in the episode which may or may not help. I vaguely remember visiting a gallery of some kind in the 80s near Viscaya that had outdoor sculptures, mobiles, modern art type stuff. Interesting, because I studied this scene a while back and I came to believe that the house is on the water, though I couldn't prove it. Look at Vizcaya on satellite: See the house just NE of it with a pool? That's a possibility. Notice the long driveway down by the water? That could be where Joey Scianti is driving when he calls Rico. Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:10pm by MATT5After reading the location sheets for this episode - there is no clear entry for the outdoor party . I always figured they used the same house they used for the pool shoots at the Scianti house. They used that location, like the Colonnade, a few times in that episode . The House / Location was The Hughes Medical Foundation Estate @ 3645 Main Hghwy, Cocunut Grove http://maps.live.com/Default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0#JnE9eXAuMzY0NSttYWluK2hpZ2h3YXkrJTJjK2NvY3VudXQrZ3JvdmUlMmMrZmwlN2Vzc3QuMCU3ZXBnLjEmYmI9NTUuODc1MzEwODM1Njk2OCU3ZS02My45ODQzNzUlN2UxOS45NzMzNDg3ODYxMTA2JTdlLTEyOS4zNzU=Posted: 25 May 2008 at 3:14pm by airtommyLOL, I totally forgot that I had gotten the location sheets from MATT5. Yup, that's clearly the place where they shot the pool party scene. I wonder where they filmed the phone scene in Joey's car? It says it was at the same property, but I don't see a good match. There should be a wall nearby and a large lawn. The next property to the northeast has a long drive going down to the water.
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Watched this episode last nite - really enjoyable. Great locations too focusing mainly on the Omni Colonnade Hotel in Coral Gables which I visited last month - much of these locations completely unchanged from early 1989 .The Merill Stevens boatyard at 2640 Bayshore Dr, Coconut Grove( right next to the "Virrick Arena" from Down for the Count & explosion scene from Redemption in Blood" ) was featured in the teaser - not sure if that triangular small building is still there that was featured when C&T found the art. The Hughes Foundation Building appears not to be open to the public.Good filming also at the Port of Miami terminal building which was the first time this building was used during the show. Great stuff:D:thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Merry Christmas and thanks!

Julias place was also filmed inside the Collonade according to the production notes. This is one of many episodes where we know all locations.

• Like 2

A lot of the Anchorage Way / Devon Court locations in Coconut Grove are all in closed gated communities now . I find Anchorage Way is one of the most elusive of all MV locations !:D

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:18 AM, Tom said:

Merry Christmas and thanks!

Julias place was also filmed inside the Collonade according to the production notes. This is one of many episodes where we know all locations.

It must have been an unfinished portion of the hotel at the time which is one of my leading theories. There is not much seen out the windows but I believe if I go there again, there is enough to track down the exact location and confirm it. Thanks.

• Like 1

Great job. Lost Madonna is a great episode which I always enjoyed. lots of great locations. Cool to see more of the Gables and the Grove. Just a luscious episode visually. Great early appearance by Michael Chiklis with some hair

• 2 months later...

I was watching this Season 5 early 1989 episode last nite - such a fantastic episode. I give it a 10/10

The locations are very good also- the Hughes Medical Foundation Estate and 3593 Anchorage Way were used extensively in this episode - both off the Main Highway in Coconut Grove. 

Im just recapping here so nothing really new. As you cannot get down the lower part of Anchorage Way at all being closed and gated to higher levels than Ive seen elsewhere in Miami. 

Stan at gate of Anchorage Way ( looking to Main Highway - away from the Bay)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.720735,-80.2470973,3a,75y,290.08h,81.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slZtE26lUhoKEyRrbGwTVpQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Edited by Matt5

We know a lot of this episode was filmed at the Colonnade in Coral Gables - there is no doubt Julia's pad / Lost Madonna location is also filmed there in a construction zone as the windows match perfectly to the ones we see on the terrace:thumbsup::D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A great episode and updated pictures from the Colonnade Hotel featured heavily in this the 100th episode of Miami Vice.

All photos are dated February and March this year and pictures by me. The room used by Tubbs and Julia as the buyer is now #201 a meeting room. I cannot confirm the later scene we see Crockett doing the deal also was #201 seems different slightly.

EE6144E1-F11C-4E43-B82F-0D7FDC8B3B8A.jpeg

BF954EB2-E7A9-4C94-BCD1-C695AF38F40F.jpeg

D117D4FB-3B46-4A09-9948-AD77A519422A.jpeg

A9FC2A1C-26A2-4E52-A904-9F4647CA059D.jpeg

1193BA8A-74E1-481D-A861-57768DBECDEB.jpeg

04C3F9A8-FB48-43C5-9B67-39FF360F1A96.jpeg

F346BAED-CFB2-40E8-A2CC-DE862556A0E2.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Several scenes in "The Lost Madonna" were filmed at 3645 Main Highway in  Coconut Grove.  The building we see in "The Lost Madonna" (especially the pool party) is the first estate the Mathesons built in Miami.

Who are the Mathesons?  One of the most important families of early Miami.  W.J. Matheson was the original owner of Key Biscayne, where he grew coconuts.  Eventually, the Mathesons donated a big chunk of Key Biscayne to Dade County, and in exchange the county built the Rickenbacker Causeway. 

Some more background on the Mathesons:

http://wellbornphillipsjunior.blogspot.com/2013/07/why-do-they-call-it-matheson-hammock.html

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Time is right for new rare comparison pics of a very special place we had no pics before - Terminal J of the port of Miami, only shown in this episode. See below. Looks like 1989. ENJOY!

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.04.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.10.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.06.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.10.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.11.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.12.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.06.41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.18.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.07.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.14.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.07.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.15.10.png