Unreleased Jan Hammer cues from Miami Vice

Crockettt

That Smuggler’s Blues beat is actually from the Roland TR-808 (not the LinnDrum) if anybody cares. :) 

I call that cue “Smuggler’s Bridge”. :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

That Smuggler’s Blues beat is actually from the Roland TR-808 (not the LinnDrum) if anybody cares. :) 

I call that cue “Smuggler’s Bridge”. :D

Great information Thankyou friend.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@Crocketttposted this kindly - it’s a great piece first heard in “One Eyed Jack” and again two years later in “Streetwise” I believe. Crockettt is right it’s also the basis for the piece in “Lombard” at the end of the first Season. Thankyou for posting these Crockettt.:cheers:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Crockettt posted this on his great You Tube channel the original version of “Crockett’s Theme” which appeared in the early Season 1 episode “Hit List” (aka Calderone’s Return”). Has a lot of elements of the theme from “Stone’s War”, “Cuba Libre” And “Child’s Play” but some quite different touches that we hear in early Season 1. Thankyou Crockettt pal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Had never heard this version before (1987 single mix) different intro and sounds to album version and extended version. @Crockettt

This version was released as a single in 1987. The B-side on the 7" single was "Rico's Blues". :)

Edited by Crockettt

14 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

This version was released as a single in 1987. The B-side on the 7" single was "Rico's Blues". :)

I bought the CD maxi (with 4 tracks total) on eBay many years ago. 

The Crockett’s Theme “remix” is more like a bad cover, if memory serves me correctly, by Ben Liebrand. 

https://www.discogs.com/release/758540-Jan-Hammer-Tubbs-And-Valerie

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 3:22 PM, Crockettt said:

Nice version the intro is quite different to the original version from “Escape from Television” and the extended version.

Edited by Matt5

• 4 months later...

Hello @Crockettt,
thank you kindly for your work.
I've been looking for a track that was, to my knowledge, used mostly in S1. It's a very simple, I think pan flute,  theme, usually played when they showed Colombia, Bogota or similar locales. I can't recall the episode when it first played, I can try to find it if you don't know which track I mean.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Swan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Swan said:

Hello @Crockettt,
I've been looking for a track that was, to my knowledge, used mostly in S1. It's a very simple, I think pan flute,  theme, usually played when they showed Colombia, Bogota or similar locales. I can't recall the episode when it first played, I can try to find it if you don't know which track I mean.
Thanks in advance.

Is it this one your referring to? 

1 hour ago, Miami Beau said:

Is it this one your referring to? 

No, it's much more melodic, and less eerie. It's usually very short and, if memory serves me well, it played in Calderon's Return and is also heard in one of the Golden Triangle episodes. 

5 hours ago, Swan said:

Hello @Crockettt,
Thanks in advance.

Thank you Swan! I think you are looking for this track used in Milk Run and Smuggler's Blues :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Crockettt said:

Thank you Swan! I think you are looking for this track used in Milk Run and Smuggler's Blues :)

I was indeed, thank you.

• 4 months later...
On 6/12/2018 at 6:15 AM, Daytona74 said:

Here's another cue that would have been good for a released track of its own...

I think it was used to the most effect in "Evan", where it underscored Evan's emotionally volatile character as a man on the brink...

This is one of my Top 5 favorite Hammer tunes.

I liked this Youtube comment:   "slow burn"

such a great track to perhaps the best MV episode. jan hammer is just amazing. who would have ever come up with this type of music to this type of show. electronic, slow-burn, almost a southeast Indian quality to it and then those surreal arpeggios. who would think to play music like this to an action/drama set in miami? and yet, you can't imagine one without the other. pure genius.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I've always wished for an official release of "Guzman's Vibe", not only because it's such a great tune, but also because the protagonist and I share the same surname and so I can have an "official" theme. :cool:

Maybe Dadrian will bless us with an amazing cover version one day...:cheers:

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, goozer said:

Maybe Dadrian will bless us with an amazing cover version one day...:cheers:

Give him time. The man has a “vice to do list” longer than your arm! ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Give him time. The man has a “vice to do list” longer than your arm! ;)

Oh, I know — I've communicated with him from time to time over the years. :cool:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

@Crockettt posted this on his You Tube channel. A great version and clear , an unreleased cue from “Give a Little, Take a Little”, “Payback”, “Cuba Libre”, “By Hooker By Crook”, “Child’s Play” and “A Bullet for Crockett”. A very similar version was released by Jan Hammer in 2002 on his Miami Vice - The Complete Collection works.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A great theme and piece from Jan Hammer from “Theresa” filmed late fall 1986. A lot of this episode was filmed at the North Shore Medical Centre in West Little River| Pinewood section of Miami just North of NE79th St — I was there in March 2023.

From Crockettts You Tube page —Thankyou @Crockettt

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...