Episode #108 "Miracle Man"

Ferrariman

Okay, I rewatched “Miracle Man” last night. Wow, what a lame character. With most of the ruthless drug dealers in the series, they would have shot him at the beginning. A chocolate gun? Seriously? Let’s all put our face in our palms for a moment here.

It’s not all bad. Definitely cringed watching it, but I like Izzy in this episode as usual.

Miracle Man’s reasoning for wanting to stop the drug dealers is definitely heartfelt, but come on dude, you had to know you were going to end up getting shot!

35 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

One of the few genuinely emotional moments from Izzy, though.

Indeed, the only other time that comes to mind is “Bullet for Crockett”.

• Like 1

Theres a legend which claims adobe created the lasso tool for photoshop after an adobe's big wig watched this episode and got shocked with such bad face cut special defects.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Theres a legend which claims adobe created the lasso tool for photoshop after an adobe's big wig watched this episode and got shocked with such bad face cut special defects.

I don’t think I know what you’re talking about... I don’t remember any special effects other than basic gun shots in the episode. Are you thinking of “Missing Hours”?

Edited by AndrewRemington

By the way...missing hours, miracle man and leap of faith are episodes i NEVER watch. To be honest, two days ago i tried to watch the jb's episode and i slept. Leap of miracle, faith in the man, missing leap...im always mixing those names...

Im sorry about that and thanks for correcting me, andy.

Edited by Mr. Calderon
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Maybe im confusing the episode names. Which one is james brown's episode?

“Missing Brains” oops “Missing Hours”

• Haha 1

It was a shame José Pérez was recast again for this dreadful episode. We should have seen him again in a better episode, maybe in season 3.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

No, not a great episode, but I give it points for calling attention to manic depression (now more commonly known as bipolar disorder), in an era when mental illness was less understood and recognized. That aspect of the episode surprised me,  and without it, there were some elements that could be considered pretty corny.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

By the way...missing hours, miracle man and leap of faith are episodes i NEVER watch. To be honest, two days ago i tried to watch the jb's episode and i slept. Leap of miracle, faith in the man, missing leap...im always mixing those names...

Im sorry about that and thanks for correcting me, andy.

No problem! That’s ok. “Missing Hours” did have some pretty poor graphics. :radar: Look like something from a meme. I enjoy the episode, but definitely not MV’s finest hour and not a good representation of the series. “Leap of Faith” is pretty good, in my opinion. Jennifer Rubin and Laura San Giacomo are both stunners in the episode. :fireworks:

30 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

No, not a great episode, but I give it points for calling attention to manic depression (now more commonly known as bipolar disorder), in an era when mental illness was less understood and recognized. That aspect of the episode surprised me,  and without it, there were some elements that could be considered pretty corny.

Good point! I still think that Bipolar Disorder is misunderstood and often misrepresented in TV and film, but it’s good to give attention to it. It’s definitely a serious mental illness.

• Like 1

Oh, I agree AndrewRemington: bipolar as a whole, with it's varying stages and overlapped with other disorders is still pretty misunderstood in media and may be a mystery never quite solved by doctors or sociology either; the human brain and the varying personalities of us human beings may just be too complicated to have an absolute on that, especially since even the experts have to rely on a patient's word of mouth (I think words can be just as faulty as feelings when it comes to making calls on an individual's condition).

Ahh, 'Missing Time': speaking of calling attention to something, at least that episode touched upon the concept of internet bulletin (message) boards before home computers became a household mainstay, and quite before mainstream internet (which I consider took off in 1995). Thanks, Carson! Vice was willing to try anything though story wise, and I like that: it's like what Don Johnson said in that Rolling Stone interview from 2014, the show was very malleable, and they could go anywhere with it. Science Fiction may be too far (although I think I mentioned on here that I like 'The Big Thaw'; to me it's pretty funny, and I think the concept still holds up) in the case of 'Missing Hours', but there's 111 episodes to choose from in the series, so I don't see it as a big deal.

Yeah, 'Leap of Faith' did a good job emphasizing the attractiveness of Jennifer Rubin & Laura San Giacomo. I think the story is solid too, it just isn't "Miami Vice" (but with a different angle, it isn't trying to be Vice either).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, he finally did it.  Sonny finally ate a gun.  I guess it was only a matter of time...oh wait, it was just a chocolate gun!

This is yet another "awful" episode that is actually quite good.  Absorbing, eccentric, offbeat, and moving.  Jose Perez is great as the diminutive Robin Hood who turns out to be a very tortured soul.  

Good ol' Iz: "David Lettersmang" :D

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Could the hate "lavished" on this episode have to do with the absent DJ also?

The episode to me is a good MV drama, with Miracle Man risking his life because of his regrettable past, drugs and the death of his child.

Extra points for extensive use of Izzy and Izzy's dramatic turns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlemFan said:

The episode to me is a good MV drama, with Miracle Man risking his life because of his regrettable past, drugs and the death of his child.

Agreed on all points :thumbsup:

Great shots at The Clevelander too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlemFan said:

I think that could be a reason. It does feel a little different without Crockett, but what makes this episode for me is addressing manic depression/bipolar disorder in an era when that issue wasn't mainstream. My heart goes out to the Georgie character, especially that sweet moment when he's feeling down and Gina says to him, "Maybe you really are a Miracle Man". I think this episode starts out like it's going to be silly (especially with Izzy heavily involved; he's still funny, with his "Miracle manure" and his "Hispanic Depressive"/"Geraldo Rivera is really Jerry Rivers" comments, but he ends up with a heavy heart), but I think it takes a hard right turns and ends up having something to say and being sociological with themes on mental illness, televised exploitation, and family.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

One of the mistaken-to-be “lost” episodes. However, it did air on NBC, just after “Freefall”...so some didn’t realize that. 

Probably the worst episode of Season 5, and in my opinion the 2nd worst episode of the series! :thumbsdown:

This one was definitely whacked-out, and one of the most pointless of the show. Very weak and boring plot--terrible writing! :sick: This one was just off the radar :radar: and left you going...huh? ?(

Even though the guest-stars in this episode were pretty good (and appeared in earlier episodes as other characters) this one was almost as bizarre as "Missing Hours", and more bizarre than "Cows of October", "Everybody's In Showbiz", “Viking Bikers From Hell”, etc... :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, even though I typically found Izzy annoying...I actually found his scenes in this episode to be some of the best. :eek: The only in-depth aspects to this were Izz's heart-felt pleas to his cousin (Miracle Man) to not take the drugs the scuzzy TV reporter was offering him.

The colors with buildings and clothes were once again superb--the pastels were awesome! :glossy:But, that wasn’t enough to save this one. :o

As I said, this episode is possibly the worst one of the season, and it's pretty hard to get all the way through. :thumbsdown: I probably would rate this one a 1 or 2...but, because of Izzy's scenes and the colors/fashion used...I rate this one a 3. :evil: 

• 1 month later...

Bad BAD *BAD*........ But not the worst of them all....

Izzy's apprearance made me give this episode a 2/10...... and not put it with Missing hours......... (and the Testarossa's simple appearance, of course)

Not intresting, weird, even by the boring, dark average Season 5 standards.....

I'd say it is top 10 worst episodes from the entire series for sure, up there with the "elite".

Edited by Adrian321
Forgot something
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

Bad BAD *BAD*........ But not the worst of them all....

Izzy's apprearance made me give this episode a 2/10...... and not put it with Missing hours......... (and the Testarossa's simple appearance, of course)

Not intresting, weird, even by the boring, dark average Season 5 standards.....

I'd say it is top 10 worst episodes from the entire series for sure, up there with the "elite".

The 2nd worst episode of the series...2nd only to “Missing Hours”! “Cows of October”, “Everybody’s in Showbiz”, and “Viking Bikers” come in a darn close second to being the worst episodes as well...but I think “Miracle” is even worse than those three. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

The 2nd worst episode of the series...2nd only to “Missing Hours”! “Cows of October”, “Everybody’s in Showbiz”, and “Viking Bikers” come in a darn close second to being the worst episodes as well...but I think “Miracle” is even worse than those three. :thumbsdown:

I actually do not think Viking Bikers is that bad of an episode compared to these ones. I think it is indeed bad,  but in my opinion it deserves a little more respect than being placed in the top 10 worst. It had some nice action and was not a complete waste of time.

But I mostly agree with the other ones....... add Free Verse, Leap of Faith, Bad Timing and a few others such as Victims of circumstance or Vote of confidence or Amen send money..... Top 10 for me is mostly made out of those........

I actually do not think what to say......... which one is worse; Leap of faith, or Miracle Man......  which one is the 2nd worst episode

I'd say Leap of faith, because atleast Miracle Man contained our classic characters and a Testarossa scene........

2 minutes ago, Adrian321 said:

I actually do not think Viking Bikers is that bad of an episode compared to these ones. I think it is indeed bad,  but in my opinion it deserves a little more respect than being placed in the top 10 worst. It had some nice action and was not a complete waste of time.

But I mostly agree with the other ones....... add Free Verse, Leap of Faith, Bad Timing and a few others such as Victims of circumstance or Vote of confidence or Amen send money..... Top 10 for me is mostly made out of those........

I actually do not think what to say......... which one is worse; Leap of faith, or Miracle Man......  which one is the 2nd worst episode

I'd say Leap of faith, because atleast Miracle Man contained our classic characters and a Testarossa scene........

“Viking” isn’t quite as bad as “Miracle”, and no where near as bad as “Missing”...but it’s still terrible & garbage, in my opinion. I don’t know if I have 10 episodes that would be considered the worst...but there’s around 5 for me, and “Viking is definitely one.

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

“Viking” isn’t quite as bad as “Miracle”, and no where near as bad as “Missing”...but it’s still terrible & garbage, in my opinion. I don’t know if I have 10 episodes that would be considered the worst...but there’s around 5 for me, and “Viking is definitely one.

We atleast agree on the most part........ that these in general are BAD episodes. 

We only dissagree on how bad they are...... some of them are less bad for me; and vice versa.

1 minute ago, Adrian321 said:

We atleast agree on the most part........ that these in general are BAD episodes. 

We only dissagree on how bad they are...... some of them are less bad for me; and vice versa.

True...but there’s usually one that’s considered the worst out of all of them. As for the rest—really for me, when they’re bad...they’re bad. Maybe for different reasons, but they still are bad episodes that probably shouldn’t have been done either. 

• Like 1